5 posts
3,988 battles

what are the British ship like are they any good

Edited by Dake007

[SLAPP]
Players
1,382 posts
8,686 battles

starting at t6 that is below t6 their not that impressive.

Players
1,054 posts
2,644 battles

They are terrible, dont play them.

In another thread, you state good players play the Minotaur. So which is it? If the Minotaur was crap, good players wouldnt play it.

From T6, they perform very well in competent hands.

Players
1,788 posts
1,673 battles

The problem is the T5 Emerald.

T2 to T4 you don't expect all that much from any ship, the Emerald just does not work.

I'm on the T7 Fiji and can say that from T6 the line seems to just change. Leander can get shafted by MM (I got into allot of T8 games) and you need to adjust your mindset, aim for superstructure, don't be afraid to chase down DDs etc.

However I am really enjoying the line, the Fiji is a very forgiving ship provided you use what you have learned in the leander. Do NOT skip the Leander with free exp, play her, learn how the later Brits work and the Fiji will reward you.

Alpha Tester
186 posts
620 battles

Emerald is the worst experience I've encountered ever.  Even the Challenger in WOT which is badly broken and horrific was better.

I was lucky I had 1000 gold from a super container. So after struggling with the emerald for some months I was getting really Irate towards the game. So I dumped the gold, converted EXP and got the Leander. Basically that first game with the Leander was make or break for me. If It had have been a loss I'd have uninitialised the game.

Luckily the game was an ok win. So I stayed and ground out Leander, and enjoyed it. Then Fiji... my god... Even stock... a couple of weekends ago I actually sat down and had an afternoon session playing multiple chain WOWS games, and I've not done that with any game for years.

To put it perspective, my personnel win rates:

Emerald: 7.69% (Yes seven, 07, single digits, bloody percent)

Leander: 45.76%

Fiji: 55.56% (and she's still not fully upgraded, and has been stock for most of it)

So I hope you get how bad the Emerald is, but cake tomorrow!

• Cool 2

Players
1,788 posts
1,673 battles

Emerald is the worst experience I've encountered ever.  Even the Challenger in WOT which is badly broken and horrific was better.

I was lucky I had 1000 gold from a super container. So after struggling with the emerald for some months I was getting really Irate towards the game. So I dumped the gold, converted EXP and got the Leander. Basically that first game with the Leander was make or break for me. If It had have been a loss I'd have uninitialised the game.

Luckily the game was an ok win. So I stayed and ground out Leander, and enjoyed it. Then Fiji... my god... Even stock... a couple of weekends ago I actually sat down and had an afternoon session playing multiple chain WOWS games, and I've not done that with any game for years.

Fiji: 55.56% (and she's still not fully upgraded, and has been stock for most of it)

Missed you Listy!

I still have nightmares about that damned challenger grind.

Yeah, Fiji is such a rewarding vessel. Can't seem to get a cit crit with it, but I think that's more my aiming than anything. I see people on youtube getting all these cits :(

Alpha Tester
186 posts
620 battles

Missed you Listy!

I still have nightmares about that damned challenger grind.

Yeah, Fiji is such a rewarding vessel. Can't seem to get a cit crit with it, but I think that's more my aiming than anything. I see people on youtube getting all these cits :(

Oh I've been about, don't really post much these days.

[TU]
Players
184 posts
7,430 battles

You have 13 games in Emerald, with such low amount win rate is quite meaningless.

Alpha Tester
186 posts
620 battles

You have 13 games in Emerald, with such low amount win rate is quite meaningless.

Granted, or is it...

Other ships with roughly the same Battle count:

Furutaka: 40%

Campbelltown: 42%

Tenryu: 46%

Wickes: 54%

So from that data set the Emerald is way outside the normal range you'd expect at that stage of development.

Beta Tester
5,379 posts
2,939 battles

Granted, or is it...

So from that data set the Emerald is way outside the normal range you'd expect at that stage of development.

I pretty much enjoyed the Emerald and got about 60% win in it tho~

My leander is more succesful in winrate for now (bloody 87% although it's only 16 games so it'll go down) but regardless I found Emerald very challenging but very rewarding while I find Leander... Sure, powerful, but more... plain ?

Alpha Tester
186 posts
620 battles

I pretty much enjoyed the Emerald and got about 60% win in it tho~

My leander is more succesful in winrate for now (bloody 87% although it's only 16 games so it'll go down) but regardless I found Emerald very challenging but very rewarding while I find Leander... Sure, powerful, but more... plain ?

I was wondering how the Emerald would do if I took my new found knowledge (and captain) back down there. As I've been play a lot more recently and gaining knowledge and experience. At current I'm happy to play a game or two a day due to the Fiji and Leander being more fun.

Players
123 posts
8,422 battles

its a very good line mate, and minotaur is worth the grind. for me, fiji Edinburgh and minotaur are the best ships in the british tree 

• Cool 2

[TU]
Players
184 posts
7,430 battles

Granted, or is it...

No, I don't think you can make any conclusions with such a small number of data points.

Counterexample from my stats: Kongo 16 battles 69% WR, ARP Haruna 18 battles 39% WR, with basically identical ships.

[R_I_D]
[R_I_D]
Players
497 posts
4,263 battles

Everyone is going to have different opinions so here is mine just to confuse you more :trollface:. From someone that specifically only plays British ships here is my thoughts (minus Warspite cos its a BB)

1. Minotaur (Monster but prone to going splode)

2. Fiji (Best of the ships imo, but I have a soft spot for the Mino)

3. Neptune (Crazy accuracy and good AA, still tends to splode if your positioning sucks balls)

4. Leander (kickass little ship)

5. Emerald (I really do like the Emerald, shame it gets lambasted by so many)

6. Edinburgh (Stronger than the Fiji but tends to get let down by the MM so it feels worse)

7. 2-4s as I didn't get many games in them before I lost the will to live

8. Belfast because A. I don't have it and B. It's just flat out cheating :trollface:

• Cool 1

Players
57 posts
12,876 battles

its a very good line mate, and minotaur is worth the grind. for me, fiji Edinburgh and minotaur are the best ships in the british tree 

Yes, tried mino and edin on the pst, they are awesome (like unbelievable), and the whole line is very good.

Minotaur is able to deal huge amount of damage in a few seconds, from DD to broadside BB.

Players
1,091 posts
2,423 battles

Emerald and down are crap, Leander and up are good. It is really a night and day difference.

However, I do think that it is important not to skip the Emerald since it does teach you some basic survivability skills that you need for the rest of the line.

Players
1,788 posts
1,673 battles

Emerald and down are crap, Leander and up are good. It is really a night and day difference.

However, I do think that it is important not to skip the Emerald since it does teach you some basic survivability skills that you need for the rest of the line.

Yeah, I resisted the urge to free exp Emerald and I do think it made me a better player

Players
15 posts
1,855 battles

I have only just started playing the British cruiser line in the last day or two as initially, having waited so long for RN ships [i've never bought any premium stuff] I was so disappointed it didn't have staples like the County class heavy cruisers when the other cruiser lines have Hipper class, Myoko etc I decided not to bother with it. The BB fest made it seem like a good time though to give the RN cruisers ago after I took a break from the game.

However, I have been very pleasantly surprised thus far. Granted, I am still only on T4 with it having started on T2, but I enjoyed the Caledon a lot and the Danae even more. I realise this somewhat contradicts others above so I hope I like the T6 upwards too like them. So my advice would be definitely give it a go and do it properly from the bottom up.

However, I do have a Q of my own. On the top trumps style stats, the RN cruisers T6 & upwards have survivability and artillery scores distinctly below and way below, respectively, those of the other major nation cruisers, so I would have expected them to be panned but instead, as above, people really like them. So I was wondering why that is, what is their strength to make up for these prima facie [statistical at least] weaknesses in defence and offence?

Thanks

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,798 posts
6,659 battles

However, I do have a Q of my own. On the top trumps style stats, the RN cruisers T6 & upwards have survivability and artillery scores distinctly below and way below, respectively, those of the other major nation cruisers, so I would have expected them to be panned but instead, as above, people really like them. So I was wondering why that is, what is their strength to make up for these prima facie [statistical at least] weaknesses in defence and offence?

Thanks

For what is is worth... The RN ships have comparatively poor armour and smaller caliber guns than their opponents, hence the lower ratings, what they have to make up for that lack tends to be very good mobility (acceleration, turning etc) and side benefits (smoke etc). This makes them very fragile but effective when used appropriately. Their ammo is also unique and needs to be handled accordingly.

[72]
Beta Tester
449 posts
10,055 battles

The artillery ratings are deceptively low. The ammo has good pen and normalization so doesn't bounce as much as other nations AP. The armour is low, but armour is irrelevant if you don't get shot in the 1st place, and the damage repair ability overcomes some of this anyway.

Tiers 7-10 feature quite highly on the average damage charts, and the ships are powerful if driven with respect and you consider your positioning. The torpedoes are not to be overlooked either.

Players
15 posts
1,855 battles

Ok so I am onto the Emerald now and finding it as hopeless as some warned. It's bascially another Caledon/Danae that feels a bit more cumbersome when maneuvering, but above all is clearly just a T3/4 ship now being pitched against, often T6 and T7 ships. I have found, in particular, that when hit by other cruisers, it takes the same kind of damage, c.9/10k, that I'd normally expect when hit by a BB in cruiser. It's just uncompetitive against even fellow cruisers. My impression is it's only of use as a DD killer [which atm is tough as there isn't many around in most games I've been in] and maybe as a suicide torpedo boat against BBs [it's lack of agility really precluding the ability to dodge salvoes and escape]. Any tips/advice welcome!

[R_I_D]
[R_I_D]
Players
497 posts
4,263 battles

Ok so I am onto the Emerald now and finding it as hopeless as some warned. It's bascially another Caledon/Danae that feels a bit more cumbersome when maneuvering, but above all is clearly just a T3/4 ship now being pitched against, often T6 and T7 ships. I have found, in particular, that when hit by other cruisers, it takes the same kind of damage, c.9/10k, that I'd normally expect when hit by a BB in cruiser. It's just uncompetitive against even fellow cruisers. My impression is it's only of use as a DD killer [which atm is tough as there isn't many around in most games I've been in] and maybe as a suicide torpedo boat against BBs [it's lack of agility really precluding the ability to dodge salvoes and escape]. Any tips/advice welcome!

Ok so the Emerald is not an easy ship to use. This is where you start to learn how to use the smoke to stay out of trouble instead of when you are already in it up to your neck. This lays the groundwork for the skills you'll need later on in the higher tiers. This ship WILL do some serious damage but you need to start getting closer now. It will citadel cruisers and take out DDs. You want to stay away from BBs for as long as possible and support others shooting at BBs. Running and gunning will no longer work for the Emerald. You need to start thinking about a couple of things now that you are in Tier V;

1. Position position position. Where are you? How close to the enemy do you THINK you are?

2. Exit strategy. Ok im in smoke now shooting at ships, what comes next? Do I sit and wait to get citadelled or do I move about backwards/forwards, shooting, laying torps and where do I go when the smoke is ABOUT to run out not when it runs out. 

3. Angling. Ok so this is a staple for cruisers, Emerald is a thin ship so use that advantage but you can and will get hit badly even by charging at enemies so don't bother with that unless you KNOW you can sink the ship before he gets you.

4. Friendly ships. Whos with you? Whos backing you up? What friendly BB could use smoke that I can then help by shooting at other bbs?

This is not an easy line BUT its the best for training you for later ships in the line. Hope this helps :honoring:

• Cool 2

Players
15 posts
1,855 battles

Ok so the Emerald is not an easy ship to use. This is where you start to learn how to use the smoke to stay out of trouble instead of when you are already in it up to your neck. This lays the groundwork for the skills you'll need later on in the higher tiers. This ship WILL do some serious damage but you need to start getting closer now. It will citadel cruisers and take out DDs. You want to stay away from BBs for as long as possible and support others shooting at BBs. Running and gunning will no longer work for the Emerald. You need to start thinking about a couple of things now that you are in Tier V;

1. Position position position. Where are you? How close to the enemy do you THINK you are?

2. Exit strategy. Ok im in smoke now shooting at ships, what comes next? Do I sit and wait to get citadelled or do I move about backwards/forwards, shooting, laying torps and where do I go when the smoke is ABOUT to run out not when it runs out. 

3. Angling. Ok so this is a staple for cruisers, Emerald is a thin ship so use that advantage but you can and will get hit badly even by charging at enemies so don't bother with that unless you KNOW you can sink the ship before he gets you.

4. Friendly ships. Whos with you? Whos backing you up? What friendly BB could use smoke that I can then help by shooting at other bbs?

This is not an easy line BUT its the best for training you for later ships in the line. Hope this helps :honoring:

Definitely, thanks!