Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Sir_Grzegorz

Torpedo acceleration captain skill.

8 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
725 posts
12,201 battles

Hi, all of you. 

I am using same captain on Gearing and Sims. I was thinking about using my last two points to get torpedo acceleration. But I am a bit worried about how much influence it will have on the Sims performance. Has any of you been using this particular perk? Any thoughts with some arguments would be appreciated. 

For all the stat lowers I am 48% WR, suicidal (not on purpose!) player. As much as I think that Gearing is OP this occasional hits at max torpedo range are buffing my stats :D Torpedo acceleration should lower this unpredictable hit count but I am worried that without this unpredictable hits my Sims will be worthless :s 

[-AP-]
Players
1,296 posts
11,488 battles

Hi, all of you. 

I am using same captain on Gearing and Sims. I was thinking about using my last two points to get torpedo acceleration. But I am a bit worried about how much influence it will have on the Sims performance. Has any of you been using this particular perk? Any thoughts with some arguments would be appreciated. 

For all the stat lowers I am 48% WR, suicidal (not on purpose!) player. As much as I think that Gearing is OP this occasional hits at max torpedo range are buffing my stats :D Torpedo acceleration should lower this unpredictable hit count but I am worried that without this unpredictable hits my Sims will be worthless :s 

it will hurt the Sims but help the Gearing, its up to you if you want to use it based on what you want to play, or you can just not get the skill.

Players
1,373 posts

With too much consideration of any particular ship, but that skill to me always was first and foremost a CV thing. Low tier DDs don't have range to squander, higher tier DDs actual speed gain is disproportional to the cost. Gearing may well be the one exception, given the combination of range and low concealment on the torps is a bit ridiculous, but otoh she is a hybrid DD and you're not exactly relying on the torp alpha strike anyway. Well, playstyles may differ, if you do, it may be worth the two points. Personally I'd rate the higher range above the occasional extra hits, since in my understanding the thing destroyers actually destroy first and foremost are enemy formations. Basically: the more maneuvering and disorder, the better. Also area denial use, of course. But I guess WG's recent changes - which are stupid af tbt - make playing the Gearing more like an IJN torpedo boat viable and that changes the equation obviously. Your decision.

Not sure about the Sims, don't own one, but if torpedo acceleration costs you the ability to stealth torp it's certainly not worth it. You're only upgrading from sea mines to still too slow torps, while you already have a none-stealth but faster option anyway.  

Edited by tenacious_torps
  • Cool 2

Players
3,037 posts
31,522 battles

Gearing benefits the most. I have that skill on my Gearing captain..Sims torps don't do that much damage anyway..

Players
503 posts
1,954 battles

You also have to look at what skills you're giving up for your captain, going for Torp acceleration on a 19pt captain is quite different than a 14pt for example as there are better skills to get imo

[BONI]
Players
1,257 posts
12,064 battles

I use it on anything that has 10km range. Launching from max range increases the chance of missing, so you wanna get as close as possible. If there's something with radar, go elsewhere or help gun it down.

I would not take it on Sims because it doesn't have 10km and the ship is pretty detectable for a DD, and with no access to the concealment mod. I'm pretty sure the reason why they gave the torps 9.2km range rather than 10 is exactly so that TA isn't viable. The stealth launch area would be tiny - 0.5km.

Edited by MoveZig

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,918 posts
19,735 battles

Tbh I don't even use TA on Gearing as I simply have no points to spare.

And having longer range on the torps does actually come in handy from time to time. Extremely situational, but it has won me some games.

Sign in to follow this