Server Restart - 30 October, 05:00 UTC Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ClappingLollies

High tier maps.

13 comments in this topic

Players
1,909 posts

Why is most high tier maps so bad compared to low tier maps? Take Tears of the desert as an example. Does anyone like that map? It is the most boring map and if you are lucky and you get epicenter, it its just a campfest. With the current campy meta, most of the game is spent hiding behind islands. Push in, and you get deleted. 

I seem to get this map way more often than any other. 

Anyone feel the same? 

• Cool 4

[SLAPP]
Players
1,382 posts
8,690 battles

yes...... :(

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Some are shrinking in the next patch so maybe a step towards a change...

• Cool 1

Players
1,909 posts

They are? Did not know. Hopefully this will help a bit. Not having Yamatos shooting at you from 25km away and scoring cits. :) 
Edited by MortenTardo

Players
1,373 posts

Nope, it isn't. That just bad map design on a smaller scale. Whoever designed those maps has in all likelihood never actually played the game, only explanation really. Making them smaller doesn't remedy the flaws. It's even debatable if being too big is even part of the problem. We debated why there is such a relative lack of cruisers in the highest tiers, the maps are a big part of it. Lack of cover, lack of cruisers - seems like a pretty simple equation. Worse: on most maps that bit of cover that's actually there seems to serve only the one function of marking the areas of the map that are basically tactical traps. Horrific design and that's true for nearly all of them. 
  • Cool 1

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Nope, it isn't. That just bad map design on a smaller scale. Whoever designed those maps has in all likelihood never actually played the game, only explanation really. Making them smaller doesn't remedy the flaws. It's even debatable if being too big is even part of the problem. We debated why there is such a relative lack of cruisers in the highest tiers, the maps are a big part of it. Lack of cover, lack of cruisers - seems like a pretty simple equation. Worse: on most maps that bit of cover that's actually there seems to serve only the one function of marking the areas of the map that are basically tactical traps. Horrific design and that's true for nearly all of them. 

That's true. As most higher tier maps have huge wide open spaces that encourages BBs to camp and snipe from long range.

Tears of the Desert, Mountain Range, Atlantic and Okinawa special mentions for open water camping off the top of my head... 

• Cool 1

Players
1,909 posts

I agree, its very bad map design on some of them. Well most. 

[BLITZ]
Players
325 posts
10,131 battles

Oh no please not  smaller. I like Tears of Desert, don't see the problem with it.

Epicenter is just bad no matter the map. But a smaller map is nothing I really like with any ship.

Just think of it like that, the closer you are to a BB the more likely you are to get wrecked by it.

And contrary to my stats I sat most of the Time in DDs hunting BBs. If we want a sluggfest why not make a Free For All mode?

But this kinda kills the whole tactical aspect...

[WONLY]
Players
427 posts

i actually like epicenter on tears of the desert. always something to aim for and after the first minutes of camping i had a lot of good close quarter action in the middle. for some cruisers it must be hell tho.

atlantic ist the worst map imo. at least the bastion mode is gone (for now).

Players
1,909 posts

Oh no please not  smaller. I like Tears of Desert, don't see the problem with it.

Epicenter is just bad no matter the map. But a smaller map is nothing I really like with any ship.

Just think of it like that, the closer you are to a BB the more likely you are to get wrecked by it.

And contrary to my stats I sat most of the Time in DDs hunting BBs. If we want a sluggfest why not make a Free For All mode?

But this kinda kills the whole tactical aspect...

You don't see a problem with Tears of the desert? I like hunting BB's aswel, but i also like to play cruisers, and pretty much every high tier map is anti cruiser. They all promote BB camping. Last thing we need in this game is more BB's sitting back doing crap.

• Cool 1

Players
2,595 posts
12,952 battles

and pretty much every high tier map is anti cruiser.

Yup. Just went in my Mogami, and besides the (duh) t10 mm, it also was mountain range. I'm playing less & less until they got their game sorted out. Too bad topics like this just don't do anything for wg...

Players
1,909 posts

Yup. Just went in my Mogami, and besides the (duh) t10 mm, it also was mountain range. I'm playing less & less until they got their game sorted out. Too bad topics like this just don't do anything for wg...

Yep, CL/CA, DD and CV players don't count i guess. 
Edited by MortenTardo

[TOXIC]
Players
4,720 posts
12,001 battles

Tears... oh, the dreaded Tears!

I personally am a big fan of Epicenter mode but OH GOD WG PLEASE NOT ON TOtD. It's just awful no matter how you look at it. I've played there with torp DD and hated it. With gunboat DD and hated it. With a BB and it was awful. The same for cruisers and as for CVs? Guess what: you can't really strike properly when the enemy team just bunches up behind the line of islands on their side (due to how AA stacks when ships bunch up).

On the plus side, there is no single map nearly as bad as the Tears so I'd refrain from passing general judgement based on this one. There are some other maps I don't like but this is the only one I just want outright gone from the game - right the next patch, if possible.

• Cool 2