Sign in to follow this  
CleverViking

<Suggestion> Make enemy capping base in Standard Battles more obvious.

9 comments in this topic

Players
503 posts
1,954 battles

A common problem in standard battles is that the team form a lemming train to one side which can result in a DD or even several ships "slipping through" the teams "defences" and start capping.

The problem arises in that a significant part of the playerbase do not look at the minimap and therefore do not notice that they're in danger of losing. Honestly, I'm tired of repeatedly pointing out that we need to defend and being ignored (if I'm in a slow ship or many ships are capping it can be hard/impossible to contest alone). There's few things more frustrating than being the only one turning back to contest when you're driving something slow like the Colorado.

Therefore I'm proposing making it more obvious when the enemy team starts capping (in standard battles, not in domination. This is due to the insta-loss in standard battles) so less experienced players understand that something is happening and that they need to do something about it.

Make the cap circles flash on the minimap or have some flashing text on the screen saying "defend the base" and the match commentator/captain shout out something about needing to defend the base. 

A lot of players also do not seem to know that they can reset the cap by hitting the enemy so consider putting that in the upcoming tutorials you are working on.

Players
503 posts
1,954 battles

The words situational awareness come to mind.

I'd agree but it is something a lot players lack. The average player tend to tunnel-vision hard which can lose you games since even if you always check the minimap you're not always able to do something about it. The best solution would obviously be for the average player to have enough situational awareness to notice enemies capping before it's halfway done but in my experience most won't.

The reason I made this post is that I lost two standard battles in Colorado, pretty much one after the other. In both I pointed out not to lemming, in both I instantly turned around when they started capping, in both I pointed out repeatedly that the enemy team was capping. In both we lost by cap. In the second the team sort of came around to help but no one wanted to push in so the Kamikaze got away with the cap while our Cleveland and Myoko happily sniped from max range at the only enemy NOT in the cap circle.

Edited by CleverViking

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,895 posts
19,717 battles

You forgot that there's also the siren sound that plays when the enemy caps.

One would think that with the caps displayed both at the top of the screen and on the minimap along with the siren anyone and their mother would realize that their cap is being taken, but with how abysmal current average player skill is... Well, you get my point.

I'd say enlarge the symbol by ~20% when the cap is being taken and have it flash periodically on both the top of the screen and on the minimap. Have an additional commander sound queue and make the siren louder at 50%.

• Cool 1

Players
503 posts
1,954 battles

You forgot that there's also the siren sound that plays when the enemy caps.

One would think that with the caps displayed both at the top of the screen and on the minimap along with the siren anyone and their mother would realize that their cap is being taken, but with how abysmal current average player skill is... Well, you get my point.

I'd say enlarge the symbol by ~20% when the cap is being taken and have it flash periodically on both the top of the screen and on the minimap. Have an additional commander sound queue and make the siren louder at 50%.

There's a siren? I thought that was only in WOT? I've never noticed it at least. :child:

I have, like you said, just been periodically looking at the cap icons and been doing fine with that, though that doesn't seem to work for everyone.

I'm normally against increasing player aids when it can easily be solved with a minimum of player awareness but this has now grown to be my biggest gripe wtih standard battles.

Edited by CleverViking

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts

That is not a problem of players ignoring the minimap. It is the problem of them ignoring everything except the next possible kill.

Unless you cover their screen in big bold letters ...

BASE IS UNDER ATTACK

-

YOU WILL LOSE THE BATTLE

... they will not take notice of it.

Players
503 posts
1,954 battles

I guess you guys are right, hopefully the long awaited tutorials WG has talked about will alleviate a bit of the current issue on game knowledge/game sense. *naive optimisim*

[CATS]
Players
26,701 posts
14,317 battles

A common problem in standard battles is that the team form a lemming train to one side which can result in a DD or even several ships "slipping through" the teams "defences" and start capping.

The problem arises in that a significant part of the playerbase do not look at the minimap and therefore do not notice that they're in danger of losing. Honestly, I'm tired of repeatedly pointing out that we need to defend and being ignored (if I'm in a slow ship or many ships are capping it can be hard/impossible to contest alone). There's few things more frustrating than being the only one turning back to contest when you're driving something slow like the Colorado.

Therefore I'm proposing making it more obvious when the enemy team starts capping (in standard battles, not in domination. This is due to the insta-loss in standard battles) so less experienced players understand that something is happening and that they need to do something about it.

Make the cap circles flash on the minimap or have some flashing text on the screen saying "defend the base" and the match commentator/captain shout out something about needing to defend the base. 

A lot of players also do not seem to know that they can reset the cap by hitting the enemy so consider putting that in the upcoming tutorials you are working on.

How obvious does it need to be? Situations like that can be recognized by the icon at the top of the screen and at least one player frantically trying to get his team back to base over chat.

People who do not react to that, will not react to flashing icons, sound effects or other alarms. They are just beyond help.

Sign in to follow this