You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Capt_Wet_Pants

May 4th, a very important...

21 comments in this topic

Players
288 posts

May 4th, a very important day in Holland ('Dodenherdenking')

Every year in Holland since 4th May (1961), the Holland people commemorate all the (Dutch) victims - civilians and soldiers -  who died in the Netherlands

or anywhere else in the world in war situations or during peace keeping operations since the start of WWII. 

I really respect for those forces and the fallen heroes who gave their lives for their freedom today in Holland.

I was born (in 1980 -Asia) during war & grown up within war (till my 12th). 

I missed those childhood fun life because of war & I don't want to see any children to miss their childhood freedom. 

Why I play this game its because of my childhood life. 

Thanks Wargaming & my friends.

• Cool 7

Players
1,890 posts
2,549 battles

Star Wars!? I have no idea what you mean. 

May the 4th...... :/

ya know those Star Wars folks can do qeird stuff out of everything ;)

Players
288 posts

May the 4th...... :/

ya know those Star Wars folks can do qeird stuff out of everything ;)

Thanks, I got it from google. :) but 4th May is special for Dutch people, at 8PM all silent for 2 min even at airport. 

[-GBF-]
Players
769 posts
3,622 battles

And here i was thinking this was gonna be Star Wars related lol.

same.

may-the-fourth-4th-be-with-you-memes-gif

Must admit more people seem to know May the 4th as Star wars day than for the reasons stated in the 1st post.

Kind of shocking really I suppose

Edited by GhostRider_24
  • Cool 1

Players
288 posts

Love to Holland.  Sorry you suffered so much.

I live here in Holland for 11 years. But since the day I hear some painful history from my neighbors (old people), Tears in my eyes, because I know what war is.

I am not a real Dutchman when I was 26 I move to Holland. Now I am 36 & I feel like a Dutch. 

May Nature/God bless those people/soldiers who still face the war around the world.  

Quality Poster
1,695 posts
9,500 battles

same.

Must admit more people seem to know May the 4th as Star wars day than for the reasons stated in the 1st post.

Kind of shocking really I suppose

Well, of course they do, as other nations have different dates for their memorials, often the same as for the World War One memorials, which The Netherlands was never a part of, so we stick by the date German forces surrendered.*

The only way for people to know about such local customs us when they get taken over by other nations (Santa Claus) or when they become controversial (Black Pete), of if they've lived here, or something like that.

It is really fitting, however.

May Fourth, we remember those that sacrificed so much, so that we could be free, May Fifth, we celebrate that freedom, and those that freed us.

What sucks, however, is that it is a fixed date, so people who were born on the Fourth of May don't always have a great time.

* = A part of The Netherlands was freed before the German surrender on May Fifth, but the most densely populated parts, including the parts called Holland, were not liberated until then, and endured a terrible famine during the winter of 1944-1945.

As a historian, I sometimes wonder if more could not have been done.

Quality Poster
1,695 posts
9,500 battles

I live here in Holland for 11 years. But since the day I hear some painful history from my neighbors (old people), Tears in my eyes, because I know what war is.

I am not a real Dutchman when I was 26 I move to Holland. Now I am 36 & I feel like a Dutch. 

May Nature/God bless those people/soldiers who still face the war around the world.  

Do you have a Dutch passport?

Cos if you do, you're a Dutchman.

And I say that as someone who can trace his Dutchness back across both family lines all the way until before the Dutch Republic came into existence.

Immigrants made this country great, helped kick-start our Golden Age, lots of people tend to forget that, but I certainly don't.

Friend of mine is from one of our former colonial territories, sometimes gets treated as an outsider, despite of being an over-achiever, a workaholic, and better at using the Dutch language than most people.

I hate that people make her feel that way.

For me it is very simple, if you have a Dutch passport, you're Dutch, whether you were born within our borders, or from Dutch parents, or not.

If you don't have a Dutch passport, as long as you know what 'gezellig' means, welcome to the club.

• Cool 1

Players
3,403 posts
16,624 battles

Well said! I feel the same about people who come to Britain to become British, pay their taxes and get along with the community.  London is great like this!

Players
288 posts

And I say that as someone who can trace his Dutchness back across both family lines all the way until before the Dutch Republic came into existence.

Immigrants made this country great, helped kick-start our Golden Age, lots of people tend to forget that, but I certainly don't.

Friend of mine is from one of our former colonial territories, sometimes gets treated as an outsider, despite of being an over-achiever, a workaholic, and better at using the Dutch language than most people.

For me it is very simple, if you have a Dutch passport, you're Dutch, whether you were born within our borders, or from Dutch parents, or not.

If you don't have a Dutch passport, as long as you know what 'gezellig' means, welcome to the club.

Well said! I feel the same about people who come to Britain to become British, pay their taxes and get along with the community.  London is great like this!

I am Dutch, but

My birth place has been colonized by Portugal, Dutch then English, This is why that place still in trouble (but this is non related to my topic). 

But I don't give a sh*** (geef ik geen fliker om, erg zat!). 

But as a human I respect those real human beings who sacrificed their lives for their freedom. 

Edited by Capt_Wet_Pants
  • Cool 1

Players
1,418 posts
10,977 battles

* = A part of The Netherlands was freed before the German surrender on May Fifth, but the most densely populated parts, including the parts called Holland, were not liberated until then, and endured a terrible famine during the winter of 1944-1945.

As a historian, I sometimes wonder if more could not have been done.

You mean, to end the war before that winter? That was decided when Stalin stopped the offensive to allow Warsaw to bleed out in August'44.

Reasons were both political: Soviets wanted to do the dirty work on Poland with German hands - and to some extent military too: supply lines were overstretched, and although Soviet Blitz went OK it could be risky to hit for Berlin right away.

Anyway, Soviets stopped for a few months - and it was only their imminent victory after they resumed their push in Jan-Feb'1945 which prompted Germans to give up on the Western Front. This was basically a race "who takes which territory". Germans for obvious reasons preferred to be occupied by US/UK, not by Soviets. 

Also, stopping in 1944 allowed Soviets to enforce their ownership on the eastern part of Poland, in the "sphere of influence" in borders described by Ribbentrop-Molotov 1939 pact - and they had time to create Polish puppet "government" without independent Polish government in London being able to interfere. Just bloody politics...

Hunger Winter in Holland was a terrible thing, 30 thousand people starved to death - but Stalin didn't hesitate to leave 200.000 Warsaw civilians to be slaughtered during a few weeks and 700.000 to be expelled after fall of the uprising, just to have Polish underground forces destroyed and have easier task with pacifying Poles later.

Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
666 posts
5,433 battles

Hmm, so, I have a US passport and an Irish one, (together with my English and Dutch ones), but I have never actually BEEN to Ireland or the US. I also know very little about the two cultures (although they do speak English-ish, so I guess that part is covered).

[TACHA]
Players
1,430 posts
15,902 battles

Hmm, so, I have a US passport and an Irish one, (together with my English and Dutch ones), but I have never actually BEEN to Ireland or the US. I also know very little about the two cultures (although they do speak English-ish, so I guess that part is covered).

Doesn't having a US passport make you liable to US taxes? A friend of ours gave up hers recently and it cost her quite a lot of money!

On the May 4th, it was the 75th anniversary of the defense of Cowes by the Blyskawica. A truly remarkable ship and crew - was remembered on the BBC news today.

Players
1,285 posts
7,092 battles

If you have a Dutch friend who is military, navy or air force, then you would know what 4th of May in Holland :)

I'm in the Dutch army. Today is also a special day for our battery. The 10th of May the Battle of Ypenburg is remembered every year.

I don't have a television (yet) but I had trouble finding a live broadcast online on May the 4th.

Players
1,890 posts
2,549 battles

You mean, to end the war before that winter? That was decided when Stalin stopped the offensive to allow Warsaw to bleed out in August'44.

well apart of that the war could have ended before that winter if western front didn't cut off supplies for Paton to fuel Mongomery's stupid idea of operation kindergarden which in his concept ironically was meant to end the war before that winter....

[but who cares about paying attention to intel from scouting forces when making such a big operation plans right?]

welp at least it is theoretised by some historians around here that if Paton was not forced to slow down his progression so much by supplies being diverted to operation kindergarden he could have actually reach the berlin before winter.

aside from the stop of red army to watch warsaw burning ;)

[although if memory serves popcorn was not a thing back then yet.....]

Players
1,788 posts
1,673 battles

What can this nationalistuc, arrogant and obnoxious Teaboo say about the Dutch? May thise who knew conflict in life, find peace in death. Respect to all who fell.

• Cool 1