• Wait for Kaga, she's better.
    • ...why not both?
    • Carriers aren't worth it.

15 comments in this topic

[W-W]
Players
0 posts

The poll options should be self-explanatory:

1. Which deck option is the most useful/rewarding on Saipan, both to the player and to the team

2. Is it worth it to pick up Saipan when Kaga is coming in the near future - yes/no, and why

If you vote, please do bother to leave a comment, I'd appreciate it. :)

Weekend Tester
173 posts
3,250 battles

Why not both? :) From the videos, the Kaga seems to add a different gameplay compared to Saipan.

In my opinion the Saipan is best played with 2-2-0, since you then will be able to support your team the most. By scouting and doing damage to ships.

The weakness of the Saipan is her lack of secondary guns and she will be food for the DD's that dodge well against torp bombers.

The Kaga will be almost the opposite, without having any experience with it and just by reading and watching what those who test it say.

I think it will be stronger against DD's and potentially be able to do more damage on the battlefields. That is, if the enemy cv allows you to.

Kaga weaknesses would be her fighters and would loss any fighters vs fighters without any AA support. Kaga should fear the Ranger ;)

She is also big, very big. Looks to be twice the size of Saipan, both in length and height. So i expect her to be detected further away.

So if your looking for a fun CV right now, i would say go for Saipan, its a lot of fun. With any setup that fits your playstyle :)

[W-W]
Players
0 posts

Having tried both lines, I found American carriers to be more to my liking because they are 'simpler'. Yes, they lack flexibility compared to the Japanese ones (less squadron variety), but exactly because of that I don't have to follow like seven things at once on the battlefield (the carrier and the squadrons).

This is why I'm looking at Saipan, both as a captain trainer for the American CV line and as a Bogue on steroids to print credits and have fun with. :)

Speaking of Ranger, she's my goal in the American carrier line, even though many malign her and think she's trash. What can I say, I'm a masochist. :child:

Players
2,199 posts
14,266 battles

If Kaga gets out in state in she is now - she will be useless.....and Saipan is much better choice....

Kaga has t6 planes + totally weird drop pattern of torpedos.....

[W-W]
Players
0 posts

If Kaga gets out in state in she is now - she will be useless.....and Saipan is much better choice....

Kaga has t6 planes + totally weird drop pattern of torpedos.....

That 'weird' torp pattern looks pretty effective when I looked at video previews on Youtube. Also, Kaga brings quantity over Saipan's quality (lots of cheap planes vs few strong ones), and can benefit from the Dogfighting Expert skill (counting all bonuses, that would be a +40% dps against Saipan's planes if I have the numbers right).

Also, Hiryuu has Tier 6 planes as well afaik, yet the one getting bashed at Tier 7 is Ranger.

• Cool 1

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,894 posts
19,702 battles

can benefit from the Dogfighting Expert skill

DE won't make a difference when fighting anyone as the performance gap between T6 and T7 is too large to overcome. DE would have to give a bonus of ~35% to achieve parity with Hiryu in dps alone and more than 50% to give her the SAME chance of shooting down an opposing fighter per second.

Thus the bonus DE provides (which is 10% against Hiryu/Ranger and 30% against Saipan) is too small to make a difference against Hiryu/Ranger and it barely surpasses the total dps a Saipan can bring to bear (by 5 points), an insignificant amount in the face of the vast difference in HP. Kaga is guaranteed to lose air superiority in every game provided that her opponent is competent.

Therefore taking DE is actually a waste of points when using Kaga. Unless you're training a dedicated Hiryu captain it's not a skill worth even considering.

Hiryu only gets T6 torp planes. Rest are all T7.

EDIT: Fixed some basic calcs and statements since I'm an idiot who forgot to take upgrades into account.

Edited by El2aZeR

Players
2,199 posts
14,266 battles

DE won't make a difference when fighting anyone as the performance gap between T6 and T7 is by far the largest in the game. When comparing their fighters you'll notice that even Hiryu stock fighters (which for some reason have the same designation) outperform upgraded Ryujo ones, something that is unique in the whole line. When Hiryu upgrades the difference becomes a ludicrous 567 hp and 20 dps. DE would have to give a bonus of more than 40% to even achieve parity with Hiryu in dps alone and more than 100% to give her the SAME chance of shooting down an opposing fighter per second.

Thus the bonus DE provides (which is 10% against Hiryu/Ranger and 30% against Saipan) is too small to make a difference against Hiryu/Ranger and it barely surpasses the total dps a Saipan can bring to bear (by 5 points), an insignificant amount in the face of the vast difference in HP. Kaga is guaranteed to lose air superiority in every game provided that her opponent is competent.

Therefore taking DE is actually a waste of points when using Kaga. Unless you're training a dedicated Hiryu captain it's not a skill worth even considering.

Hiryu only gets T6 torp planes. Rest are all T7.

DE= + 10% ammo......it is MUST have just for that :)......i would never ever recomand any CV to skip this skill

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,894 posts
19,702 battles

DE= + 10% ammo......it is MUST have just for that

If you really need that little bit of extra ammo you're either incredibly incompetent or the situation is, well, situational. From what I understand ammo is the loadout stat in seconds. Since higher tier fighters have little ammo in the first place that extra 10% will not matter in most scenarios. Haku fighters for example barely benefit with a base loadout of 45 assuming you've taken AGM2. DE increases that by 5, hardly worth the investment. On the other hand fighters with a lot of ammo capacity such as the upgraded ones on the Independence with a loadout of 130 don't really need that extra 10%, either.

But meh, the skill is cheap. There is little to be gained when picking this it, but little lost, too. Personally I wouldn't recommend it just for a paltry 10% extra ammo, as it either barely makes a difference or is not needed anyway.

Players
2,199 posts
14,266 battles

If you really need that little bit of extra ammo you're either incredibly incompetent or the situation is, well, situational. From what I understand ammo is the loadout stat in seconds. Since higher tier fighters have little ammo in the first place that extra 10% will not matter in most scenarios. Haku fighters for example barely benefit with a base loadout of 45 assuming you've taken AGM2. DE increases that by 5, hardly worth the investment. On the other hand fighters with a lot of ammo capacity such as the upgraded ones on the Independence with a loadout of 130 don't really need that extra 10%, either.

But meh, the skill is cheap. There is little to be gained when picking this it, but little lost, too. Personally I wouldn't recommend it just for a paltry 10% extra ammo, as it either barely makes a difference or is not needed anyway.

That 10% gives you one more strafe. Very usefull for 1 skill point. Also it is cummulative with module. 

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,894 posts
19,702 battles

That 10% gives you one more strafe. Very usefull for 1 skill point.

By the time I have used 2-3 strafes I'll have usually destroyed whatever targets I wanted to destroy and therefore fly back to rearm anyway.

Players
2,199 posts
14,266 battles

By the time I have used 2-3 strafes I'll have usually destroyed whatever targets I wanted to destroy and therefore fly back to rearm anyway.

Agree. But allways can usa last one to disengage and run away. Or disengage fighters to strife attack planes. 

But main thing. It is 1 point and not much better choice on first tier. 

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,894 posts
19,702 battles

Agree. But allways can usa last one to disengage and run away. Or disengage fighters to strife attack planes. 

Seems extremely situational to me.

Also ASE is mandatory on the first row.

But meh, you're right, it's just one point. If you have one left over from whatever build you're making, sure, take it, but i wouldn't explicitly recommend it.

[_OPC_]
Players
442 posts
15,598 battles

nerf this piece of crap or change MM as you did to t5

even a monkey can hit ships with the bombers, and no losing fighters with breaking engagement? bullsh1t next what nukes and lasers??!?

Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
260 posts
5,405 battles

Every idiot on Sapin needs to hold until Kaga player will make 1 mistake and take the game, not so true when any other CV. 

Beta Tester, Players
708 posts

Fix the [edited]Broken boat.. all CV need to lose a Plane when strafing out of a fight

mang 

Sign in to follow this