Sign in to follow this  
Hellfire0194517

Carriers not worth it anymore?

19 comments in this topic

Players
1 post
1,321 battles

Do anyone else think playing as a carrier is a dead end?

When i was first playing as a carrier things would go OK I sank one ship a match and overall help the team by spotting and doing little damage. But now after some updates I dont feel like playing the carrier anymore because it got to much nerfed and it has a real unbalance in the game. I got a Ruyjo and a Bogue but every time i a playing with the japanese CV vs an US CV my planes get destroyed ASAP. Even when fully upgraded and everything, Like staying in friendly AA I cannot kill his fighters even if he has less fighters than I have. That is as far as JPN vs US carriers go.

With my ship attack aircraft(dive and torpedo bombers) if I send them as a large group vs a single BB not a single bomb or torpedo will hit because all my planes get destroyed by his AA, before they even can drop their payload. I have this problem with all the CV's in the game and I really think they should fix it because playing as a CV is, in my opinion. Not worth it anymore. Even when I used to love playing as a carrier cause that is what a CV suppose to do is carry the team(spotting, causing fires and flooding).

I like to know how anyone else is thinking about the current affair with CV's.

[FDUSH]
Players
1,157 posts
6,717 battles

Well, since the removal of manual attacks it is possible that carriers aren´t worth playing.

It´s funny how the devs wants to increase the amount of CVs but at the same time does awful things like that one

[OSC]
Players
1,991 posts
11,664 battles

Stick with ijn. From t 7 you will destroy USA and you will have manual attacks. If you like playstile of cv s play it. They still are one of steongest solo ships in randoms.

Beta Tester
5,064 posts
2,939 battles

Dead ?
They're not dead.
Not yet.
They suffer greatly but they're not dead yet...

I play american CVs.
I main American CVs.

Life is harsh, that's for sure. I'll tell you what, it ain't easy being a CV in this world, not mentionning having the ones with star spangled banner.

Sometimes you don't even feel like the Japs are your main concern.

Cruisers.
Battleships.
Even destroyers. They're all your nightmare now.

But...

No matter how hard the path is.
No matter how darker it will become...

We will fight nonetheless.

You can join us if you want. But bring you willpower. Great many hopeful captains have head their dreams shattered on the dekcs of the Hell Flattops.

Edited by LastButterfly
  • Cool 1

[10GO]
Players
181 posts
10,197 battles

You are at Ryujo, which opens up the excellent higher tier IJN branch. The answer to your question: Yes, they are worth it, but:

Returning to them now, you will have to study them. Watch youtube and twitch videos of good CV streamers. Learn how to strategize and scout. To give you an idea of the potential, I did a 170k damage game in Ryujo recently, supporting some friends in T6. The capability to devastate enemy fleets is there, but you have very limited reserves and need to read the battlefield very well. Read up on CV strategy. Go to settings and activate "alternative mouse controls for CV" enabling the standard right click to move mode and left click into minimap. Then develop a launch and priority routine how you handle the match.

1. Scouting is more important than striking, especially when you are uptiered. Divebombers which have dropped their load are faster than fighters, so you can use them to scout enemy DDs while your fleet kills them (manual unload via alt and vector them to contested cap).

2. DDs are your primary targets at the start of any match. Fly 2 torp bombers behind them left and right and cross drop ahead (via alt) slightly converging into their path. Executed correctly this cannot be dodged if the DD did not maneuver against it before the drop.

3. Kill isolated ships with weak AA or no AAA consumable (Königsberg, T5/6 BB etc). Fly in the divebomber after 15-20 seconds to set fire once they have burned their damage control.

4. Your fighter is a scout and a distraction to briefly stop enemy fighters or strictly for self defense near your ship. You do not engage US fighters unless it's a planned sacrifice to get in your strike.

You need frustration tolerance and the will to improve after every match. If you develop a routine and continue losing 60% of your matches you are just a burden on your team and should play another class. If you are improving every day and start winning you're on the right track. Do something better/different every match and learn to be aware of all your squads even when scattered for scouting over the map.

• Cool 1

[CGER]
Players
26 posts
9,099 battles

Its in the name but a lot of people misunderstood it. CV stands historicaly for carrier vessel, in WoWs it is meant as Carrying Victory (CV). You need to watch out for strafes of enemy fighters, otherwise they will shoot down your whole squad in seconds. I would skip Bogue and go to Indi directly =)

[10GO]
Players
181 posts
10,197 battles

Oh ffs! It's not Carrier Vessel! It's C (as in Cruiser) V (fixed wing aViation) as CA (as in armoured) was already taken. Search and be enlightened.

• Cool 1

Community Contributor
859 posts
4,881 battles

Do anyone else think playing as a carrier is a dead end?

When i was first playing as a carrier things would go OK I sank one ship a match and overall help the team by spotting and doing little damage. But now after some updates I dont feel like playing the carrier anymore because it got to much nerfed and it has a real unbalance in the game. I got a Ruyjo and a Bogue but every time i a playing with the japanese CV vs an US CV my planes get destroyed ASAP. Even when fully upgraded and everything, Like staying in friendly AA I cannot kill his fighters even if he has less fighters than I have. That is as far as JPN vs US carriers go.

With my ship attack aircraft(dive and torpedo bombers) if I send them as a large group vs a single BB not a single bomb or torpedo will hit because all my planes get destroyed by his AA, before they even can drop their payload. I have this problem with all the CV's in the game and I really think they should fix it because playing as a CV is, in my opinion. Not worth it anymore. Even when I used to love playing as a carrier cause that is what a CV suppose to do is carry the team(spotting, causing fires and flooding).

I like to know how anyone else is thinking about the current affair with CV's.

When you realize that naval class is played by 0.4% of total players, you realize that is already dead; and wg does not care, because the main mechanics of this game develop in other 3 classes.

Edited by Akaba_
  • Cool 1

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,525 posts
8,104 battles

They're kinda dead if you only consider player-numbers.

They're not dead if you consider actual in-game performance.

Beta Tester
53 posts
1,875 battles

Yup,am played my Ryujo today after long period of absence and my planes was devastated by EVERY ship in game... As i remember back then atleast BBs was ok to attack but today am tryed to attack solo Triptiz (i think,not sure) and he devastated my squadron,only 1 plane left... and when i see CAs am tryng to run with my planes far away from them. Nah,in my opinion CVs are not fun at all,anymore :(

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,525 posts
8,104 battles

Yup,am played my Ryujo today after long period of absence and my planes was devastated by EVERY ship in game... As i remember back then atleast BBs was ok to attack but today am tryed to attack solo Triptiz (i think,not sure) and he devastated my squadron,only 1 plane left... and when i see CAs am tryng to run with my planes far away from them. Nah,in my opinion CVs are not fun at all,anymore :(

Ryujo is tier 6 and Tirpitz is tier 8. So not that unbelievable.

The Hiryu at tier 7 uses the same weak torpedo bombers, so it doesn't get much better before tier 8.

But it's still okay if you pick the right targets. Part of playing CVs is knowing how much AA each ship has.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,792 posts
14,175 battles

CVs are still viable largely thanks to the ridiculous amount of mindless potatoes sailing around.

Playing them however requires you to have a high tolerance for bs (mostly due to the interface) as well as a desire to better yourself with every match until you reach a certain skill level.

Beta Tester
467 posts
13,407 battles

I only got to tier 7, so I dont know how it is in higher tiers. I would guess tier 9 and 10 are OK, since they have more games where they are top or mid tier. I find low tier CV planes melt if you are lowest tier, so many cruisers and even some dd got good AA, and the AA/secondarys on tier 8 BB - or 7, is rather OP against planes. Why tier 6 CV face tier 8 games so often must be that wargaming try to deterrent new players from continuing playing that class. I feel that DD has been nerfed as a class, but not so hard as low tier CV. Cant remember last time my torps wasnt detected before enemy had time to turn away from them.

[WONLY]
Players
199 posts

I only got to tier 7, so I dont know how it is in higher tiers. I would guess tier 9 and 10 are OK, since they have more games where they are top or mid tier. I find low tier CV planes melt if you are lowest tier, so many cruisers and even some dd got good AA, and the AA/secondarys on tier 8 BB - or 7, is rather OP against planes. Why tier 6 CV face tier 8 games so often must be that wargaming try to deterrent new players from continuing playing that class. I feel that DD has been nerfed as a class, but not so hard as low tier CV. Cant remember last time my torps wasnt detected before enemy had time to turn away from them.

t7 is pretty good as CV...t8 is horrible. t9/t10 doesn't really matter, i got the haku in port but will stick with the taiho..too much freexp needed for the t10 planes.

btt: cv still has the most influence on the outcoming of a match. so if you want to win games, play cv. it's often frustating in high tiers tho. 2 DM and a minotaur in enemy team and you're pretty much screwed if they have a good positioning.

since you are only at t6 right now,  no bb should kill all your planes. not even close. play through to t7, the hiryu does way better vs. the US CVs.

Beta Tester
467 posts
13,407 battles

since you are only at t6 right now,  no bb should kill all your planes. not even close.

Just had a game 5 minutes ago where an Alabama killed 2 full Hiryu TB squadrones simultanious, only one torp got into the water. Also German BB and N.Carolina has wiped out entire squadrons before they launch torps. bombers tend to survive a bit longer, but they to burn like small paper bits in the sky. Not for that, Im happy when its mine ship melting enemy planes, but I dont like it a bit when its mine planes.

Players
1,804 posts
10,111 battles

Just had a game 5 minutes ago where an Alabama killed 2 full Hiryu TB squadrones simultanious, only one torp got into the water. Also German BB and N.Carolina has wiped out entire squadrons before they launch torps. bombers tend to survive a bit longer, but they to burn like small paper bits in the sky. Not for that, Im happy when its mine ship melting enemy planes, but I dont like it a bit when its mine planes.

Hiryu gets t6 TBs but t7 DBs which is probably why those bombers survived longer. 

Just perserve on. Tier 8 is actually pretty ok for the Shokaku since all your planes are at tier 8 and not "nerfed" like the Hiryu's. Past that I just got the Taiho and getting hit from 3 Tb squad is pretty painful. Last match i stumbled upon the enemy Essex at the start while picking a target to hit.I was like what the heck I'll just drop on him even if he has defensive aa. But for whatever reason he did not use it and I just devastating strike him right at the start with those TBs.

Players
1 post
651 battles

i've liked my cv until T5 but now i have independence and i'm matched against T8 ships. guess what? my planes don't even reach the dropping zone even if i attack an isolated ship. that is really frustration because i can't do anything but suicide...

[FDUSH]
Players
1,157 posts
6,717 battles

And wait until everybody has defensive aa consumable on tiers 7 - 10. Or even worse, meet a worchester with 3500 - 3600 Antiair damage per second.

Sign in to follow this