Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Poster_2015

Friant - t3 monster?

19 posts in this topic

Just wondering about your opinion guys, but while Friant is very solid when you grind through her, it feels it will be insanely OP with high lvl captain for sealclubbing. 139mm guns benefitting from both AFT and BFT means you outrange all the BBs and other cruisers, you actually hit stuff , you are fast enough to run away, and with IFHE you have no problems dealing dmg. Any thoughts?

Interesting for a T3, but absolutely no armor. The T2 can eat the Friant alive.

Well I will try to get at least a 10 cpt on Friant to test your theory, but I am now on T5 and will return from time to tim to Friant as I have the same feeling, I like cruiser play at lower tiers T2-4 so she is promising as the D-T. Emile Bertin I am less certain of , she is not an advancement of T4 D-T if you take into account MM and strenght Tier for tier.

Friant looked very promising when I grinded through her yesterday, but it remains to be seen in a more normal environment, she will be deleted easily by BBs. Now it is most other French crusiers as opponents.

Thing about Friant is that neither T2 or BBs will "eat her alive", since only Myogi can match her range - and she is actually very good dmg dealer at this range with IFHE. Its actually at least 14 point captain though for full use - without IFHE your long range damage lacks, without AFT you get inside enemy range and Friant is very squishy. 

RN Cruisers citadel her with ease

Probably returns the favour too. :P

Did get a nice 66k damage game in her in my very first drive though last night.

well, friant is a nice ship, but the shell-arcs at long range will probably drive you crazy... i don't think that it will be OP with a 14 point captain. i had very nice games with this ship too with 33k average damage, but the guns simply lack power for the slow reload... 

mfg

Ciao

Seisset

1 person likes this

Awful shell trajectory arc (made me feel my cleveland had rail guns lol), zero armor (compared to the St Louis at same tiers for instance), awful reload time : just that does not qualify the ship for "monster" for the tiers. It can take real advantage of its long range guns.

I just cant wait to get enough xp to get the tiers 4 ship myself and will sell the Friant with no regrets.

Though, with so many torp launchers and decent range torps : makes a nice ambush cruiser. You just rely a lot on other players and environment for this.

Friant = absolute garbage

I will take a St. Louis or Tenryu over this POS anytime. Arcs and travel time of shells are outrageous. Requires at least 2 monitors to have sufficient lead even on battleships.

Friant = absolute garbage

I will take a St. Louis or Tenryu over this POS anytime. Arcs and travel time of shells are outrageous. Requires at least 2 monitors to have sufficient lead even on battleships.

I think this has more to do with personal preferences on how to play than ships' capabilities.

My personal experience is that from the Friant to the Émile Bertin, the current tier of french cruisers that I am at, are all ships that win games through their sheer firepower and superior mobility and are better at angling AP than is immediately apparent.

They are ships that are made to win games by absolutely dominating enemy cruisers and destroyers by their strong AP and HE and they do so very well, better than all other nations at those tiers IMHO. Can't say anything above tier V as I do not have french cruisers above tier V so might get dissapointed there?

1 person likes this

Friant ideally should be tier 4 with a faster reload. As of now she is frustrating to play because of the reload to try and put her in a tier in which she doesn't fit.

1 person likes this

They are ships that are made to win games by absolutely dominating enemy cruisers and destroyers by their strong AP and HE and they do so very well, better than all other nations at those tiers IMHO.

You cant dominate what you cant hit...

Git gut m8.

While I would very tempted to just leave that there, you can work around the arcs. Like how I work around turret traverse with ease. You can still reliably hit at 12-13km on slower ships, and you have speed to close the range if need be, or disengage. There is a reason the ship is a fit at tier 4 and is nerfed into tier 3 by the reload.

Friant ideally should be tier 4 with a faster reload. As of now she is frustrating to play because of the reload to try and put her in a tier in which she doesn't fit.

I don't understand why they picked her. She's paper isn't she? And totally out of era - there would have been much better choices.

But isn't that the case with all the tier 3 cruisers, floaty arcs?

I don't understand why they picked her. She's paper isn't she? And totally out of era - there would have been much better choices.

She is an early design that lead up to T4 D-T class. 

But Frances problem is that she never bult any of the scouts/light cruisers that were frequent in most other navies in the WW1 Era. The alternative were to have used a old armoured cruiser, from the S:T Louis era.Most of these were twin calibre shgips with (often 2x2 194 mm) and 12-16 164mm. If not you went for the Waldeck Rosseau 14-194 mm on 14000 tons 23 kts, but they are big slow ships. So it is a problem there.

Edited by Gnirf

Friant is defenately a good ship. As far as armor is concearned, see the Tenryu, it's even easier to citadel her. Playstyle is more or less like RN cruisers, tier 3-4 Japanese cruisers and tier 4-5 U.S. cruisers. The guns as more powerful than those on their Japanese counterparts, same caliber (1 mm doesnt reduce the fire power) but are efected by BFT and AFT (because of that 1 mm) and with better ballistics, they are something like the guns of Bogatyr. Maneuverability is good, torpedoes are powerful and also the secondaries are the cherry on the top - destroyers are not a threat for Friant. The  Duguay-Trouin (whose 'prototype' or draft design Friant is - just like Myogi for Kongo, Nicholas for Faragut, Phoenix for Omaha - you get the point) is also great, a ship I'm defenately keeping.

Probably returns the favour too. :P

Did get a nice 66k damage game in her in my very first drive though last night.

52K damage first game with her for meh...

However I could have done more if I didn't get citadeled straight through my bow xD 

If you think Friant is a monster just wait for Duguay-Trouin.

Admittedly I have only 16 battles in it but 15 of those are wins. I have 60k average damage, 118k max damage. And I started stock with barely any commander skills.

On top of that I am probably rusty as hell as I haven't played for a few months.

I am one win away from tier 5 (and ending up as tier 7 fodder)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0