Spidyy

Japanese destroyers turret DPS getting worse over high tiers.

36 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1 post
132 battles

As a Japanese DD player who faced a few times their US counterpart, I feel there's a huge gap between them. US DDs rotate their turrets so fast and can shoot so fast that it's a 100% loose almost every time (considering T VI and above).

When you reach Mutsuki, your torpedoes reload time is doubled if not tripled, while your guns are so stuck you'd rather not use them. 

It feels quite unfair to grind a whole tech tree, wasting experience to be in the end completely useless compared to US DD.

There is no such thing as true balance, but a few things that should be done :

- Decrease reload time of japanese torpedo launchers

- Increase Turret rotation speed (180° in 10 seconds would be fair) and rate of fire

Maybe other things, but I'm not a guru of gameplay balance.

Here are some facts though :

In real life, the rounds per minute of say, a Fletcher was 15 rpm. Kagero, japanese counterpart, had 10 rpm. In the game, Fletcher has 13.3 rpm and Kagero has 5 rpm. Fletcher had 12% nerf meanwhile Kagero had 50% nerf. Not exactly fair. 

Now let's talk about turret rotation : 25°/s for Fletcher, 6°/s for Kagero in real life. Well the game should try to balance real life a bit, to give players a chance to rewrite history and enjoy a game not flawed by unbalance. 

Yet, in-game turret rotation for Fletcher is 34°/s whereas Kagero has a ridiculous 4°/s. Which means that American Destroyer had a 36% buff meanwhile Japanese had a 33% nerf. So the balance is even worse than real life odds. 

These numbers aim to prove that serious change have to be done to balance Destroyers. After all we're still in beta stage, a lot is to change in the future, hopefully for the best.

Hope I didn't bore you too much with numbers. Most of them came straigth from Wikipedia and destroyers.org, so you can confirm it. The guns used by most US Destroyers and Jap Destroyers are always the same so this unbalance isn't limited to Kagero but to all destroyers between Tier VI and Tier X included.

Cheers,

Rara'

• Cool 3

[BKC]
Beta Tester
465 posts
2,926 battles

Not a DD skipper, only made US T4, but weren't the US and IJN DDs built for different purposes? IJN to torp largers ships, while the US counterparts were just that, IJN DD hunters?

Alpha Tester
797 posts

Here are some facts though :

You forgot about all the IJN DDs after tier 6 carried type 93 torpedoes.

As always, WG balances about "historical data" when they want, and others times because "is necessary for the game balance". Nothing new.

Alpha Tester
182 posts
2,263 battles

For the US DD killing IJN DD easily, it is rather normal as they are DD hunters.

For the rest, nice research.

Alpha Tester
797 posts

For the US DD killing IJN DD easily, it is rather normal as they are DD hunters.

They ain't even good at that, as a IJN DD you spot them first and only engage if you want.

[CULMY]
Alpha Tester
142 posts
7,074 battles

I play them to test them but kicking your head against a brick wall is more fun then playing IJN DD at the moment :trollface:

Yeah, that is why I do not move above T4 for the moment. I hope they do something with the turrets atleast. :sceptic:

Alpha Tester
182 posts
2,263 battles

Still thinked about it. One way to up the IJN DD guns would be to give them a slighly  better damages per shell. The turrets are slow to rotate, which encourage for long range shots against large target, and I often happens to try to shoot one or two burst at a BB to lower its HP and make him catch fire while retreating out of range. A better alpha and better penetration would make this a viable tactic, when torpedoes are already used.

IJN DDs have 2 turrets at the rear, it would be a nice way to play them without making them too deadly against other DDs.

I still hesitate to ask for better penetration, as DDs can be rather easy to hit at citadel right now.

Beta Tester
12 posts
955 battles

IDN DDs at lower tier were fun, but from Mutsuki onwards they feel more and more pointless. I get that they don't really have guns. However, the ships get bigger and get spotted from longer distances.

Alpha Tester
182 posts
2,263 battles

Another way to buff the IJN DD would be to greatly increase the damage per torpedoe. Hitting with a full board of torpedoe rely on pure luck or when the target is really unaware or have tunnel vision, and is not rewarding enough. I often hit a BB with only 1 or 2 torpedoe, but the damages are immediately absorbed by their repair ability. Not being able to deal crucial damages to tier 6 battleships with a tier 9 DD is kind of a bummer.

[OILUP]
Alpha Tester
98 posts
1,955 battles

Reverting the increased acquisition range to the last version will fix it.

Pretty much that. Without enemies being distracted (e.g. by being engaged with somebody else) you can't really hit them with torps anymore. If they aren't, even the slowest BB has enough time to react and take evasive manuveurs.