Sign in to follow this  
Wykin

The problem with this game is...

32 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
4 posts
348 battles

that it feels extrem rng based.

1. The damage of Artillery feels like a gamble. No matter the enemy or the ammo used. I lost 2/3 of my HP in a cruiser to a battleship by a single salvo. Yet i never see that happen, even with my battleship and in a (in the end) good round with around 2k points i see dmg number pop up of around 400 up to 5000 but 20k never.

When i give a good broadside most of the time i do like 1-2k dmg.

2. Artillery accuracy is also a complete gamble. Sometimes a hole salvo even lands up to a kilometer to short (bug in the aiming system?) and most of the time the shots spread so much that you feel lucky if one of those hit where you aimed and your glad if you hit the enemy at all. It feels like its about praying to the rng god instead of good aiming that decides the fight. I shot salvo at a carrier and hit and water infront and behind him but not the carrier.

I really try to like the game and overall it seems to be good but those 2 points drive me into madness. Especially the dmg, i got a t4 for every class so played quit a bit and i all the time tried different things like using different ammo hitting the hull or waterline or the stuff on top of the ship. Even tried to aim for ammo racks under turrets but it all doesnt help. After those hours i put into the game all what is left is that hitting where you aimed and the amount of dmg dealt is a gamble.

Edited by Wykin
  • Cool 4

Beta Tester
28 posts
50 battles

It is quite normal. Some random does make the game more exciting, as you are never 100% sure of what to expect. Plus I think it was mentioned somewhere that the game will have quite some gamble involved (and dont forget that its a WG game after all). Just get used to it :)

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
4 posts
348 battles

Yeah with WG i count with rng but right now with artillery i dont feel like "not 100% sure what will happen" but rather "at best 20% sure what will happen".

[USEUR]
Alpha Tester
1,200 posts
2,723 battles

I lost 2/3 of my HP in a cruiser to a battleship by a single salvo. Yet i never see that happen, even with my battleship and in a (in the end) good round with around 2k points i see dmg number pop up of around 400 up to 5000 but 20k never.

Obviously if someone can take 2/3 of your HP in a salvo and you can't, it means you're doing something wrong.

2 words here: Citadel hit.

Aim for the citadel, score some hits on the ammo storage and engines, and you'll get shells doing 20-30k damage.

• Cool 4

Weekend Tester
166 posts
120 battles

It is quite normal. Some random does make the game more exciting, as you are never 100% sure of what to expect. Plus I think it was mentioned somewhere that the game will have quite some gamble involved (and dont forget that its a WG game after all). Just get used to it :)

No not really... recently had a game in the Cleavland, against another one. Me with 20k health, he full,  2 shot him wit 2 salvos cause they the where dealing 15k twice... thats BS.

Can already see it in late game when people wither down the enemy bbs with better maneuvering and aiming, lucky shot from the enemy, 40k hp gone... yeah.. :sceptic:

[WNKRS]
Alpha Tester
967 posts
4,908 battles

Obviously if someone can take 2/3 of your HP in a salvo and you can't, it means you're doing something wrong.

2 words here: Citadel hit.

Aim for the citadel, score some hits on the ammo storage and engines, and you'll get shells doing 20-30k damage.

Please. The spread is so wide you can't specifically aim for any part of the ship, an issue that gets worse as the range increases. Fighting outside 10km with BB's is complete luck, if you get a citadel hit it's because the RNG Gods smiled on you this day, not because you aimed well. 

• Cool 1

[GURU]
Alpha Tester
725 posts
40,981 battles

At long range it is luck yes but if you get under the 10km range it is no longer luck but good aiming, same with cruisers or long range torpedo kills

[WNKRS]
Alpha Tester
967 posts
4,908 battles

At long range it is luck yes but if you get under the 10km range it is no longer luck but good aiming, same with cruisers or long range torpedo kills

Sort of. At 10km range, you can expect consistent hits where you want them but it's also a fact that at that sort of range AP is unlikely to penetrate BB citadels, you need to be closer or a lot farther away for reliable citadel hits so it's a bloody lottery unless you get close enough to spit on the target, AKA a straight shot at the belt armour. 

Bigger hits are actually more likely at longer ranges where the rounds plunge down onto the deck, but at those ranges hitting the target is pure luck. So, at closer ranges RNG screws you with penetration mechanics and at longer range RNG screws you with accuracy mechanics. 

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
15 posts
228 battles

1. The damage of Artillery feels like a gamble. No matter the enemy or the ammo used. I lost 2/3 of my HP in a cruiser to a battleship by a single salvo. Yet i never see that happen, even with my battleship and in a (in the end) good round with around 2k points i see dmg number pop up of around 400 up to 5000 but 20k never.When i give a good broadside most of the time i do like 1-2k dmg.

As others have said, you need to hit the Citadel, or possibly ammo rack. I've managed to 1 shot ships with my Battleship a few times. You just need to have a look at what you're shooting at, and then aim. Good places is under the guns, the engine, the citadel, ... Have a look here: LINK

2. Artillery accuracy is also a complete gamble. Sometimes a hole salvo even lands up to a kilometer to short (bug in the aiming system?) and most of the time the shots spread so much that you feel lucky if one of those hit where you aimed and your glad if you hit the enemy at all. It feels like its about praying to the rng god instead of good aiming that decides the fight. I shot salvo at a carrier and hit and water infront and behind him but not the carrier.

I've not had this happen but, I would recommend slowing down when shooting at long range targets. There is some spread sure, especially once you start shooting at stuff 15km away, but I've not found it that bad.

Edited by Nallic

[WNKRS]
Alpha Tester
967 posts
4,908 battles

As others have said, you need to hit the Citadel, or possibly ammo rack. I've managed to 1 shot ships with my Battleship a few times. You just need to have a look at what you're shooting at, and then aim. Good places is under the guns, the engine, the citadel, ...

I've not had this happen but, I would recommend slowing down when shooting at long range targets. There is some spread sure, especially once you start shooting at stuff 15km away, but I've not found it that bad.

That is very, very bad advice. Slowing down makes it marginally easier to aim, but it makes you greatly easier to hit. There's nothing wrong with changing speeds to throw your enemies prediction off, but if you slow to a stop to shoot, you're going to be nailed. Hard. If I had an exp point for everytime I've seen a BB stop and get sunk soon after, I'd already have Yamato.
  • Cool 1

[D_T_M]
Alpha Tester
46 posts
13,306 battles

Sort of. At 10km range, you can expect consistent hits where you want them but it's also a fact that at that sort of range AP is unlikely to penetrate BB citadels, you need to be closer or a lot farther away for reliable citadel hits so it's a bloody lottery unless you get close enough to spit on the target, AKA a straight shot at the belt armour.

Bigger hits are actually more likely at longer ranges where the rounds plunge down onto the deck, but at those ranges hitting the target is pure luck. So, at closer ranges RNG screws you with penetration mechanics and at longer range RNG screws you with accuracy mechanics.

That is very, very bad advice. Slowing down makes it marginally easier to aim, but it makes you greatly easier to hit. There's nothing wrong with changing speeds to throw your enemies prediction off, but if you slow to a stop to shoot, you're going to be nailed. Hard. If I had an exp point for everytime I've seen a BB stop and get sunk soon after, I'd already have Yamato.

These posts^^

Excellent description and advice :honoring:

Beta Tester
11 posts
534 battles

i wish there were a guide for scoring citadel hits. i asked before but i`m still unclear on what/where exactly is best to try and aim to score citadel hits 

Alpha Tester
1,545 posts
469 battles

Speed doesn't effect accuracy in this game in any way what so ever. It's better to keep up your speed to stay manoeuvrable, rather than slow down for 0 advantages.

Alpha Tester
222 posts
419 battles

Speed doesn't effect accuracy in this game in any way what so ever. It's better to keep up your speed to stay manoeuvrable, rather than slow down for 0 advantages.

I only slow down for the islands that get in the way of my kills....
  • Cool 1

Beta Tester
15 posts
228 battles

I was under the impression that guns are more accurate while going slower. Slowing down when you take your first shot and then speeding up again also throws off the opponents aim. I usually cruise at 1/2 while shooting.

Alpha Tester
1,545 posts
469 battles

Well... it's been tried and tested multiple times with different ships and distances and speed really honestly has 0 effect on your accuracy >.<

Beta Tester
12 posts
1,250 battles

accually it does!! if u going with half speed u have more accuracy and aiming speed! if u are going full after some seconts u will have to turn the ship so u can have a shot on the enemy!

on the battle ships! the key is to be as far as it can!  more chance of servival! coz they got too much reload time and slow turrets!

Beta Tester
12 posts
1,250 battles

Well... it's been tried and tested multiple times with different ships and distances and speed really honestly has 0 effect on your accuracy >.<

u forgot the enemy factor!! if he is still its logic to hit him with any speed if he isnt!  its harder!! dont forget u hit a moving target!  close is peace of cake to hit him but from 10km is far u got speed he is got speed! and the time till the shell go there!! ;)

the biggest thing is that when u turn to see infront for anything! the turres return on the starting point and its hard to aim again! if the turret is slow.. maybe a button for lock turret it will be great

Edited by djpaco

[GURU]
Alpha Tester
725 posts
40,981 battles

accually it does!! if u going with half speed u have more accuracy and aiming speed! if u are going full after some seconts u will have to turn the ship so u can have a shot on the enemy!

on the battle ships! the key is to be as far as it can!  more chance of servival! coz they got too much reload time and slow turrets!

Nope it doesn't, it has been tested by Alpha's and supertesters and speed + manoeuvrability is the way to survive, slow down and you are just an easier target ( less lead aim needed, easier hit on citadel)

Beta Tester
12 posts
1,250 battles

Nope it doesn't, it has been tested by Alpha's and supertesters and speed + manoeuvrability is the way to survive, slow down and you are just an easier target ( less lead aim needed, easier hit on citadel)

in close combat yes! 

Beta Tester
25 posts
435 battles

that it feels extrem rng based.

1. The damage of Artillery feels like a gamble. No matter the enemy or the ammo used. I lost 2/3 of my HP in a cruiser to a battleship by a single salvo. Yet i never see that happen, even with my battleship and in a (in the end) good round with around 2k points i see dmg number pop up of around 400 up to 5000 but 20k never.

I really try to like the game and overall it seems to be good but those 2 points drive me into madness. Especially the dmg, i got a t4 for every class so played quit a bit and i all the time tried different things like using different ammo hitting the hull or waterline or the stuff on top of the ship. Even tried to aim for ammo racks under turrets but it all doesnt help. After those hours i put into the game all what is left is that hitting where you aimed and the amount of dmg dealt is a gamble.

If you hit the citadel with a crit say bye bye to most ships.

I was shooting at a carrier earlier with my BB and it had about 90% health and was about 10km away,I used a round of AP as I was passing an island then momments later I see I crit the citadel and the carrier sunk.Best shot of closed beta...worthy a medal I reckon.But was total luck.

Edited by BicRazor

[GURU]
Alpha Tester
725 posts
40,981 battles

in close combat yes! 

Also in real life, a ship isn't a tank where you get a more stable platform by standing still, a ship always moves and moving at half speed doesn't give you any advantages.

[WNKRS]
Alpha Tester
967 posts
4,908 battles

I tried a few battles at 3/4 and 1/2 speed with Fuso, no marked increase in accuracy. There was however a marked increase in damage taken.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
4 posts
348 battles

So for me thats it. The amount of luck (and thats nothing else, no matter how often you tell yourself) in this game is unacceptable for me.

Neither your opponent nor yourself knows what those shots in the air will do.. almost no dmg, maybe a oneshot or just 50% of your health,

hell maybe they will just hit the water infront and behind.

Im sure there are people who like that and others who enjoy it while thinking its their "skill" or whatever

but i got more games then i have time and as long as this stays a heavy rng game i will spend my time and money elsewhere.

Some rng like in wot is okish but wows goes over the top by alot.

Maybe if a normal ap hit does for example 2k and a ammo rack hit (or whatever) does double the dmg it would be ok.

Note: im complaining about ARTILLERY luck (dmg and accuracy wise).

Edited by Wykin

Alpha Tester
1,545 posts
469 battles

I tried a few battles at 3/4 and 1/2 speed with Fuso, no marked increase in accuracy. There was however a marked increase in damage taken.

^ This.

Don't worry, you can slow down and stop when you fire if you want :) I'll enjoy being on the enemy team and watching you rip me apart with your increased accuracy as i dodge your shells ^_^.

Remember that alot of us have been playing the game for a good 7-8 months already... We all were once in your positions learning the game, we've tried out pretty much every tactic and found the ones that work best in most situations. We've tested most of the game mechanics, and probably been far too nosey about them, while still getting away with it.

Most (because not all testers are experienced as others) alpha testers are worth listening to if they suggest a change in tactics. They know what they're talking about and why they're saying such things :P Super Testers all the more so.

And as for testing these mechanics... JeeWeeJ and i personally tested the effect of movement with shell spread and accuracy earlier in the games development, as well as the effect range has on accuracy, and i can wholeheartedly assure you that movement has 0 effect on the accuracy of your ship. And at any range over 4km, all ships guns are able to keep up with targets as long as you're not manoeuvring against their turn.

Edited by Shepbur

Sign in to follow this