puxflacet

tiny immersion nitpick

• You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.

25 posts in this topic

i occasionally have an impression that wg's ships feel more like scale models on a pond rather than these monstrous thousand ton beasts. after some time i realized where this sensation came from: the shells' water splashes animations are way to quick and look like from a bullet rather than from a warship shell

let speak the witness of battle of jutland:

"With each salvo fired by the enemy I was able to see distinctly four or five shells coming through the air. They looked like elongated black spots. Gradually they grew bigger, and then crash ! they were here. They exploded on striking the water or the ship with a terrific roar. After a bit I could tell from watching the shells fairly accurately whether they would fall short or over, or whether they would do us the honour of a visit. The shots that hit the water raised colossal splashes. Some of these columns of water were of a poisonous yellow-green tinge from the base to about half their height ; these would be lyddite shells. The columns stood up for quite five to ten seconds before they completely collapsed again. They were giant fountains, beside which the famous fountains of Versailles were mere children's toys. In a later stage of the battle, when the enemy had got our range better, it frequently occurred that these water- spouts broke over the ship, swamping everything, but at the same time putting out any fires."

Georg von Hase, First Gunnery Officer of the Derfflinger

video of uss new jersey's water splashes, although it is from the distance

11 people like this

I think WG might add more pretty effects like that over time.

They're adding more realistic fireworks and smoke from guns, despite their RussianBias™ they are naval buffs and I can see them seeing if its possible with the current game engine.

3 people like this

yeah. it may be prettier maybe, but my point was about duration and i think that slow down the animation to half or third speed would do the trick for the time being

i think this game did it pretty well and it doesnt have as dazzling graphics as wows

EDIT: i must admit that all the effects (smokes, explosions...) look imho better and more realistic than in wows

A small thing, but there might be a practical reason for the lack of longer lasting water splashes. On rare occassions, when a target is under heavy fire and/or is returning fire and/or is on fire, it can already be hard to judge the aim in the zoomed in wiev due to the particles covering the ship. I'm not sure how would people who already ask for less rng and a more competitive, clear and balanced environment like this, or whether or not would this be really an issue.

These things are exactly what the-, or a test server could be used for, sort of "sandbox-style", apart from actual patch fine tuning: testing both the technical implementation and the receiving by the (part of the) public. Personally, I would be glad to see how such effect changes would affect the game. If it isn't disturbing, it really would add a feeling of weight to the shells.

1 person likes this

Same problem with the game engine on WOT, the tanks look like toys.

havent played it for years but i think the tanks are way too quick and agile to feel believable.

Posted (edited) · Report post

God yes, I agree completely. I got over the fact that pretty much all the ships move and react way too fast than they actually should, or that the battles are too short, etc, but what you propose should actually be easy to implement.

Edit: World of Tanks is just silly, no offense, I don't get how people play that.

Edited by blanc091

WoT is like what a game of remote control toy tanks would be like.

I'm enjoying playing it currently, break from silly ships and something new...

better animations of shells hitting water would be cool except when you have 5 ships shooting you, at 5-10 seconds fountain per shells who needs smoke.

better animations of shells hitting water would be cool except when you have 5 ships shooting you, at 5-10 seconds fountain per shells who needs smoke.

indeed. that is probably the reason behind the current duration. however smaller shell splash should have shorter duration and size than bigger shell, so rapid firing guns would be obstructing the view less than big hard hitting guns firing twice in a minute. the 5 second splashes are just battleship shells...but yes, it would make aiming a bit harder. but as was stated above: it is worth the test imho

indeed. that is probably the reason behind the current duration. however smaller shell splash should have shorter duration and size than bigger shell, so rapid firing guns would be obstructing the view less than big hard hitting guns. the 5 second ones are just battleship shells...but yes, it would make aiming a bit harder. but as was stated above: it is worth the try imho

you fail to realize that these "smaller" shells (smallest are what 139mm?) would still make splashes 10-30 meters high.

you fail to realize that these "smaller" shells (smallest are what 139mm?) would still make splashes 10-30 meters high.

i think the size of the current splashes is ok. that shouldnt change...also dont forget that ships are moving most of the time while splashes are not

maybe its a welcome boost to survivability also then? When you get focussed that hard it lowers the chance of getting hit. I sometimes have trouble aiming at burning ships also, because of all the smoke.

actually it could be a very welcome "buff" for some DDs - ya know the ones that are not speedy nor maneuverable enought to properly dodge all the shells when under fire - such thing would disrupt the aim of ships focusing them meaning less accurate salvos meaning more chances to bail out of wrong position ;)

I'm totally for giving it a try on test server

My pet animation peeve is the lack of any churning water during sharp turns. In game it's basically just the normal wake in a curve. If you see any real film of ships doing hard turns then the water get thrown up in a maelstrom when going round corners (e.g. http://sploid.gizmodo.com/this-is-what-a-high-speed-turn-in-a-us-navy-destroyer-l-1466951441). TBH the straight line wake isn't great especially at high speed but it's the fact that you can hang the back end of a ship out at 30+ knots during a 180 turn in a few seconds and it raises barely a ripple. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I always get a laugh out of all those cute little Lilliput towns on the islands in the game. I think I understand why they have to model the surroundings in this scale, but... still funny.:D

Edited by Procrastes

1 person likes this

Pretty sure the reason why WG didn't add those effects is because soviet-era PCs being common among their target audience and they wouldn't be able to handle that sort of graphical detail.

Ergo we won't be getting that anytime soon.

Pretty sure the reason why WG didn't add those effects is because soviet-era PCs being common among their target audience and they wouldn't be able to handle that sort of graphical detail.

Ergo we won't be getting that anytime soon.

well they have backed of support for Windows XP already and I think Sub_Octavian? was talking alot some tiem ago about engine migration to DX11.... [and many nice and detailed effects attached to it]

so actually there is hope that we will be gettign these later ^-^

1 person likes this

I always get a laugh out of all those cute little Lilliput towns on the islands in the game. I think I understand why they have to model the surroundings in this scale, but... still funny.:D

Everytime I see those buildings I can't help but feel that they are too small - I mean there's no way they can be so tiny next to my Kamikaze!

Everytime I see those buildings I can't help but feel that they are too small - I mean there's no way they can be so tiny next to my Kamikaze!

Maybe, but have you seen the laundry hanged out to dry? Those white dresses and such? Good lord, I don't want to meet the woman who wears those! ...well, maybe a little bit, but I'm not too big on death by snu-snu.

2 people like this

Instead of better rigging anti-aliasing of some individual ships, I would really love to see this kind of proper water splash effects..

Perhaps that splashes don't stay longer is consistent with the time-acceleration / distance compression of the gameplay? Once you start fiddling with time and space, crap parallel universes may emerge.

1 person likes this

ironically recently I had that situation when my yuugumo got under fire from many many enemy ships, while zigzagging to avoid shots I couldn't help but notice that shells missing are making splashes that could actually cover up all the ship if one was looking from proper perspective.....

[and this immediatelly have reminded me of this thread xD]

I think the biggest immersion breaking nitpick in the game right now is the fixed rudder and the on/off propellers. 

I think the biggest immersion breaking nitpick in the game right now is the fixed rudder and the on/off propellers. 

nah I'd still give that title to ryujous draught - even in port her aft section teds to loose connection with the water surface and I am 200% sure that historical one didn't ;)