Sign in to follow this  
anonym_MSqPBzxRtsaO

Help with Tirpitz build

23 comments in this topic

Players
15 posts

Disclaimer: I'm a noob and a casual, so don't hammer me too much if I say a bunch of rubbish. Pretty please. :child:

I have a Tirpitz, and following Yuro's 'How to' video from YouTube I built her up for a secondary build. Trying a few games (where admittedly I played poorly but that's my problem, not the ship's), I've noticed that said build is lacking because of the pathetically short range of the ship's secondaries (4,5km at tier 8 is embarrassing). Now, I'm trying to understand the ship and build her properly, but I'm confused as to how should I build her, which is why I'm here asking for help from those who have more experience with the Queen of the North.

So far, I've thought up three possible scenarios:

1 - Keep the secondary build, but use it only as a form of self-defense. Secondary mod 1 in slot 2 and target acquisition in slot 6. Captain skills for this build -> http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000100010100010001000100019

2 - Go for an AA build, even though I haven't seen many carriers (thought they were more common). AA mod 1 in slot 2 and concealment in slot 6. Captain skills for this build -> http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000100010100010000000110019

3 - Don't specialize in anything, and go for a generalist build aimed at survival. Aiming system mod 1 in slot 2 and concealment in slot 6. Captain skills for this build -> http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000100010100001000100000119

^All of the above share in common the slot 1-4-5 modules, that is - main armament mod 1, damage control mod 1 and damage control mod 2.

Suggestions or advice are always welcome.

• Cool 1

[MBK]
Players
26 posts
12,742 battles

Hello, mate!

Personally I prefer build No. 3: your main guns need more accuracy; durability improvement by reducing floods and fires; you have got strong armour, torps and secondaries for self-defense.

Scenario 1 is more suitable for Bismarck and scenario 2 - for USS North Carolina.

Do you agree with my moderate opinion?

Players
15 posts

Hello, mate!

Personally I prefer build No. 3: your main guns need more accuracy; durability improvement by reducing floods and fires; you have got strong armour, torps and secondaries for self-defense.

Scenario 1 is more suitable for Bismarck and scenario 2 - for USS North Carolina.

Do you agree with my moderate opinion?

Hi! :)

Objectively, it's as you say - Bismarck has a very long reach with her secondaries, and North Carolina (and Alabama) have massive AA. Tirpitz has none of those, which is a shame.

I'll wait for more people to give their opinion, but you've made a good point.

[SCRUB]
Players
779 posts
13,936 battles

Hi,

For me the combination of captain skills and modules should reflect your playstyle. Do you want to be a stealthy ninja or a close range brawler? Or a mix of both? I don't have a specialized Tirpitz captain so I use the one for my Scharnhorst and Gneisenau:

uojy5Nt.png

IMHO the turrets on the Tirpitz are quite tough and I rarely get them incapacitated, let alone destroyed, hence Direction Centre over Preventative maintenance. I have also specced out of EM in favour of AR as they turn pretty well even without it. SI is always nice for the extra heal, followed by CE (I run it with the stealth module for that 12.3km detection). Next I took manual AA as it's useful for both Tirpitz, Scharn and Gneisenau (here I have a slight variation - I run AA mod on Tirp and Aiming on Scharn). Vigilance is a personal preference as I'm a potato and tend to eat torps. Last two points I will probably invest in a quicker damage control (I'm up to 17p. at the moment).

At least for me the above build has this going for it:

- Stealth gives you an advantage to choose when and how to engage. 

- Moreover, at closer ranges you are less likely to notice the lack of aiming systems 

- Thanks to 2x fighters, AA mod and manual AA you can make a CV regret going after you

Just my 2 cents :)

Players
1,635 posts
16,392 battles

I use manual AA and AFT + AA modification. If there is a CV I can get 20+ plane kills. If not I can still do well because the Tirpitz is strong with any build.

Secondary build isn't very useful, Yuro's video is from before Bismarck came into the game. I think the concealment build is the strongest. You can surprise cruisers and it helps with survival in tier 10 battles.

Players
15 posts

Hi,

For me the combination of captain skills and modules should reflect your playstyle. Do you want to be a stealthy ninja or a close range brawler? Or a mix of both? I don't have a specialized Tirpitz captain so I use the one for my Scharnhorst and Gneisenau:

uojy5Nt.png

IMHO the turrets on the Tirpitz are quite tough and I rarely get them incapacitated, let alone destroyed, hence Direction Centre over Preventative maintenance. I have also specced out of EM in favour of AR as they turn pretty well even without it. SI is always nice for the extra heal, followed by CE (I run it with the stealth module for that 12.3km detection). Next I took manual AA as it's useful for both Tirpitz, Scharn and Gneisenau (here I have a slight variation - I run AA mod on Tirp and Aiming on Scharn). Vigilance is a personal preference as I'm a potato and tend to eat torps. Last two points I will probably invest in a quicker damage control (I'm up to 17p. at the moment).

At least for me the above build has this going for it:

- Stealth gives you an advantage to choose when and how to engage. 

- Moreover, at closer ranges you are less likely to notice the lack of aiming systems 

- Thanks to 2x fighters, AA mod and manual AA you can make a CV regret going after you

Just my 2 cents :)

To answer the playstyle question, I try to adapt to what the ship I'm using does best, though I'm bad at leading, so mid-close range is what I prefer. For the skills, I picked preventive maintenance because it helps keeping the secondary armament alive - there's way too much HE spam at Tier 8+.

I use manual AA and AFT + AA modification. If there is a CV I can get 20+ plane kills. If not I can still do well because the Tirpitz is strong with any build.

Secondary build isn't very useful, Yuro's video is from before Bismarck came into the game. I think the concealment build is the strongest. You can surprise cruisers and it helps with survival in tier 10 battles.

The AA build is what I would've liked to try, but as I said before, there's a lack of carriers. I thought they were as 'popular' as artillery is in World of Tanks, guess I was wrong.

Then again, having the tools to counter one is better than having no tools at all. :)

Do you run BFT as well (as it also benefits secondaries other than AA) or something else?

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,185 posts
6,367 battles

Tirpitz is a brawler so you should make her good for close range combats. Forget about secondaries as it's not worth it. Here, this is the best build for her. I'm using it and I can say it's working great, for both ships! 

Edit: Skip to 21:00 if you don't want to watch the whole video.

Edited by _DeathWing_

Players
15 posts

Tirpitz is a brawler so you should make her good for close range combats. Forget about secondaries as it's not worth it. Here, this is the best build for her. I'm using it and I can say it's working great, for both ships! 

Edit: Skip to 21:00 if you don't want to watch the whole video.

This is basically the build Freyr_90 posted, except he took the double catapult fighter instead of preventive maintenance. Also, I'm told the adrenaline rush skill is bugged and doesn't work with secondaries (and it's not meant to work with AA at all).
Edited by anonym_MSqPBzxRtsaO

Players
46 posts
7,693 battles

Hi, mate ; as a Bismark player i'll try to give you a couple of hints .

As _Deathwings_ sayd, Tirpiz is a brawler , long range you'll lack the output to be a reliable damage dealer plus you have to think about what is good and what is bad on the ship you are playing and work on them.

Strong points ;  good armor , ok AA , Torps , reload time on main cannons , fast ship ;

Bad points : secondaries , low accuracy , somewhat low pen , fewer guns than most of others bbs , Fires!!!!

Sayd so in battle i advise to be a little patient, you are fast . look at the map and the enemy disposition , find enemies that you can close and charge them ( be wary of dds!!!! ) , in my opinion tirpiz work good from the 10 - 14 km range vs cruisers ; closer for the bbs ; don't rely too much on torps to kill other bbs btw , players know that you have torps and will use your broadside when launch to punish you ; Tirpiz have wonderful armor but you will eat a lot of normai pen that way. Always stay angled if possible.

For talents and module i'd say to work all on survivality + adrenaline rush , don't bother with secondaries, ok choice AA buffs but only if you have points to spare , fires are your first enemies get that talent for less fire possibility! Forget detection range ;  more consumables is ok too.

Get the faster rudder , will help a lot when brawling and for torps avoiding . You can get the gun precision but if you are going to brawl can be ditched for other choices depending of your setup.

This was a mash up of my opinions , hope will help.

Cheers

Edited by SpiritedAway

[-T-O-]
2,185 posts
6,367 battles

Also, I'm told the adrenaline rush skill is bugged and doesn't work with secondaries (and it's not meant to work with AA at all).

AR never worked for those. It works for main guns and torpedoes ONLY. Don't know where did you dig that up.
Edited by _DeathWing_

Players
1,635 posts
16,392 battles

The AA build is what I would've liked to try, but as I said before, there's a lack of carriers. I thought they were as 'popular' as artillery is in World of Tanks, guess I was wrong.

Then again, having the tools to counter one is better than having no tools at all. :)

Do you run BFT as well (as it also benefits secondaries other than AA) or something else?

I had basics of survivability along with the fire reduction modification, I haven't touched this captain in a long time. Well, as long as we have the retraining bonus ... I changed it to BFT now along with rudder shift modification. I can play around the fires, they shouldn't be a problem. I have only 15 points to work with, with 18/19 points there would be lots of options. You can get concealment or fire prevention or a 2-point + a 3-point skill.

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,225 posts
7,771 battles

AR never worked for those. It works for main guns and torpedoes ONLY. Don't know where did you dig that up.

Please, Sir, do not talk nonsense.

It was the intention of the Developers that that skill influences all armaments of a ship. But with release of the skill update with 0.6.0 the Skill "Adrenaline Rush" was partially bugged and only worked for main guns and torpedoes. But the Dev told that that was a mistake and patch this skill with patch 0.6.1 so that this skill now also improves the secondaries of a ship.

Please, just read the patchnotes: Patch 0.6.1

Fixes and Improvements

• Level 2 Commander Skill "Adrenaline Rush" now works for the secondary battery.

• Cool 1

[-T-O-]
2,185 posts
6,367 battles

Please, Sir, do not talk nonsense.

It was the intention of the Developers that that skill influences all armaments of a ship. But with release of the skill update with 0.6.0 the Skill "Adrenaline Rush" was partially bugged and only worked for main guns and torpedoes. But the Dev told that that was a mistake and patch this skill with patch 0.6.1 so that this skill now also improves the secondaries of a ship.

Please, just read the patchnotes: Patch 0.6.1

Fixes and Improvements

• Level 2 Commander Skill "Adrenaline Rush" now works for the secondary battery.

Ohhh, alright. Haven't been there for a while so must skipped that. Thank you fine sir! :honoring:

Edit: Apologies to the OP.

Edited by _DeathWing_

Players
165 posts
5,228 battles

Yuro's "How to Tirpitz" is pretty old at this point and even though I didn't play back then, I'm pretty sure it was made before German BBs proper arrived in the game. At the time, Tirpitz's secondaries were basically "damn, these are good, too bad they're short-ranged". Then Bismarck arrived and had the same awesome secondaries, except with over 50% extra range.

You don't build Tirpitz for her secondaries. Your main guns are a bit weak and better suited for killing cruisers than fighting other battleships mano-a-mano. Your primary advantage over other battleships is your excellent close-range durability (thanks to turtleback) and your torpedoes. I, at least, consider them your primary armament against other battleships. Your excellent armour allows you to close in on other battleships bow-on, bouncing most shells, then finish them off with a 4/4 torpedo salvo. At least that's how I play her. During torpedo downtime, smack some cruisers silly with your 380mm guns.

Players
38 posts
477 battles

I think Flamu had a topic on Tirpitz build not long ago under the ships section. I think its called the berserker build.

[-T-O-]
2,185 posts
6,367 battles

I think Flamu had a topic on Tirpitz build not long ago under the ships section. I think its called the berserker build.

That's what I posted in here. See up ^

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,614 posts
7,059 battles

Tirpitz isn't that hard to play anyway. Get concealment upgrade, Concealment Expert, do what you want with the rest, and uses that troll 12.3 camo to surprise enemies battleship going towards you. 12km is already half-way to the torpedo range, do I need to explain further ? :trollface:

Players
8 posts
17,734 battles

Hi, mate ; as a Bismark player i'll try to give you a couple of hints .

As _Deathwings_ sayd, Tirpiz is a brawler , long range you'll lack the output to be a reliable damage dealer plus you have to think about what is good and what is bad on the ship you are playing and work on them.

Strong points ;  good armor , ok AA , Torps , reload time on main cannons , fast ship ;

Bad points : secondaries , low accuracy , somewhat low pen , fewer guns than most of others bbs , Fires!!!!

Sayd so in battle i advise to be a little patient, you are fast . look at the map and the enemy disposition , find enemies that you can close and charge them ( be wary of dds!!!! ) , in my opinion tirpiz work good from the 10 - 14 km range vs cruisers ; closer for the bbs ; don't rely too much on torps to kill other bbs btw , players know that you have torps and will use your broadside when launch to punish you ; Tirpiz have wonderful armor but you will eat a lot of normai pen that way. Always stay angled if possible.

For talents and module i'd say to work all on survivality + adrenaline rush , don't bother with secondaries, ok choice AA buffs but only if you have points to spare , fires are your first enemies get that talent for less fire possibility! Forget detection range ;  more consumables is ok too.

Get the faster rudder , will help a lot when brawling and for torps avoiding . You can get the gun precision but if you are going to brawl can be ditched for other choices depending of your setup.

This was a mash up of my opinions , hope will help.

Cheers

Seems those two Bismarcks in division thougt that their secondaries will crush any single ship that dare to fight with them - they were wrong - and got "little" punish from me:

Edited by Mehoo006

[-T-O-]
2,185 posts
6,367 battles

Seems those two Bismarcks in division thougt that their secondaries will crush any single ship that dare to fight with them - they were wrong - and got "little" punish from me:

Wrong topic.

@OP New one as you already know works better.

TGmjLJH.png

Edited by _DeathWing_

Players
33 posts
101 battles

So basically the only difference between Tirpitz and Bismarck is that Tirpitz has torpedoes while Bismarck has hydro? Both ships main guns equal in precision?

Players
1,635 posts
16,392 battles

Yes, main guns are the same. Though, every time I get a double citadel with only two hits on a cruiser at over 20 km in my Tirpitz, it feels like pay2win. :trollface:

The other difference is the AA. Stock Tirpitz AA sux hard. With AFT and manual AA it's usable. Bismarck is fine without manual AA.

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,614 posts
7,059 battles

I'd suggest getting CE somewhere though.

Tirpitz main armament are the torps ! With full concealment you're spotted at 12.3 km. 2 to 3 km from your secondary range, and half-way through the torp range. Do I need to develop further ? :trollface:

Well, in my case, I just slapped on it my german cruiser (Hindenburg) captain, so Concealment Expert, AFT, PM, PT, EM, Superintendent, BoS, and last point will probably go in double fighter.

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1100000000100000100001000000100119

I have no complain about that build. I scraped all my full-secondary build anyway. I only kept manual secondaries on Yamato, but I replaced all my secondary modules by main battery accuracy which is much more important, and main battery is much more reliable than secondaries anyway.

Secondary build is only useful if you actually pushes, and most players don't push anymore. Even if they were, secondaries are just that : secondary armament. They are an auxiliary helps, don't count on them too much.

An all-purpose build is much more interesting in my book. 

My results got much better with Yamato once I switched to accuracy and reload module coupled with Adrenaline Rush.

Sign in to follow this