Beta Tester
506 posts
5,263 battles

so at the moment i have the Minotaur as:

1- PT

2- Jack of trades, AR

3- Superintendent, vigilance 

4 - AFT, CE

right now this seems to work well but im thinking of dropping AR and vigilance for Manual AA and PM, i know the amount of CV is low but AR doesn't feel like it gives a lot and i don't find my self getting torped much (the vigilance would have helped), does any one have any good sets for the drunken sailor (19 points to use)

[BUSHI]
Players
352 posts
3,872 battles

I went with:

1.) PT

2.) JoT, AR

3.) SI, VI

4.) CE, MCAA

No point in taking AFT, IMO, since your AA has plenty of range with the AA module.

[AAO]
Players
230 posts
5,952 battles

I went with:

1.) PT

2.) JoT, AR

3.) SI, VI

4.) CE, MCAA

No point in taking AFT, IMO, since your AA has plenty of range with the AA module.

No point taking manual AA since only your main guns benefit from it. Radar is also one of the stupidiest thing to take on RN. AFT boosts ALL AA guns in ship.

This is my complete build : http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000001001000000001010000100119

[BUSHI]
Players
352 posts
3,872 battles

No point taking manual AA since only your main guns benefit from it.

I disagree on that point. AA module is plenty enough, and having over 7.2km AA bubble is pointless since you can only spot planes from 6km. Having double DPS on a targeted squad is more valuable.

[AAO]
Players
230 posts
5,952 battles

I disagree on that point. AA module is plenty enough, and having over 7.2km AA bubble is pointless since you can only spot planes from 6km. Having double DPS on a targeted squad is more valuable.

Well i dont mind if people disagree. But if i look at your neptune stats and compare those to mine, its obvius that we have way different play styles.

Also i rely that there is someone spotting for me so i can see planes from 8.9km away. This build works for me very well. I can deal lots of dmg and shootdown planes from distance. It allows me to provide AA cover for DDs because i usually move with them. Both minotaur and neptune are great when paired with DD.

[BUSHI]
Players
352 posts
3,872 battles

Also i rely that there is someone spotting for me

Fair enough. I mostly play solo & yolo :izmena:

Players
147 posts
3,026 battles

Has anyone tried out dropping smoke for the Radar, any thoughts.  I just got one of those Radar consumables in a super container and the only ship I own with a slot for it is my Minotaur but I am think that dropping the abiltity to hide (my detection range is 8.9km at the minute) against the advantage of longer radar coverage isnt a very good idea with such an easily deleted cruiser.  :sceptic:

[AAO]
Players
230 posts
5,952 battles

Radar is not good idea in RN cruiser since its weak and cant take hits. Smoke is clearly strength of that line along with good rof and low concealment. Those special upgrades are 90% of crap.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
506 posts
5,263 battles

Radar is not good idea in RN cruiser since its weak and cant take hits. Smoke is clearly strength of that line along with good rof and low concealment. Those special upgrades are 90% of crap.

having played a lot of the Atlanta radar is the perfect conter to all smoke,sure its not as easy as sitting in smoke but it's far more fun 

Has anyone tried out dropping smoke for the Radar, any thoughts.  I just got one of those Radar consumables in a super container and the only ship I own with a slot for it is my Minotaur but I am think that dropping the abiltity to hide (my detection range is 8.9km at the minute) against the advantage of longer radar coverage isnt a very good idea with such an easily deleted cruiser.  :sceptic:

iit's fine if you play bit like a DD and hugs islands, yes your never really go head to head vs bbs in open water but you have every advantage if you catch a ca of of guard . She is basically the Atlanta of steroids

[AAO]
Players
230 posts
5,952 battles

having played a lot of the Atlanta radar is the perfect conter to all smoke,sure its not as easy as sitting in smoke but it's far more fun 

iit's fine if you play bit like a DD and hugs islands, yes your never really go head to head vs bbs in open water but you have every advantage if you catch a ca of of guard . She is basically the Atlanta of steroids

I go head to head on BBs all the time, sitting in smoke and dealing 2-8k damage per salvo with reload 2.4s is devastating. But you have different play style. You can see it clearly from avg dam, yours is 87k compared to mine 143k.

But i dont mind people using potato captain builds and play all the ships same way. There is less competition and danger for me if we ever match eachother. Using radar feels right thing? I dont mind, get spotted and deleted. Buff AA with manual AA? Go ahead, that only affects mainguns.

Beta Tester
506 posts
5,263 battles

I go head to head on BBs all the time, sitting in smoke and dealing 2-8k damage per salvo with reload 2.4s is devastating. But you have different play style. You can see it clearly from avg dam, yours is 87k compared to mine 143k.

But i dont mind people using potato captain builds and play all the ships same way. There is less competition and danger for me if we ever match eachother. Using radar feels right thing? I dont mind, get spotted and deleted. Buff AA with manual AA? Go ahead, that only affects mainguns.

alright alright i was just asking a question, no need to start throwing names around the place and yes im a worse player than you congratulations if you feel like having constitutive input please tell me as i can only learn if people help. :)

Edited by procrastinatingStudent

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
437 posts
2,980 battles

RN CL's from T8 onwards are the only Cruisers where Suvivability Expert is actually useful. And highly recommend it.

My current build.

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000001000010010001000000010119

However for a Radar build you'll want PT far more than a smoke build. Though I would only recommend using a Radar build if you have other players in a division that can provide smoke for you or at least a division. 

Beta Tester
506 posts
5,263 battles

However for a Radar build you'll want PT far more than a smoke build. Though I would only recommend using a Radar build if you have other players in a division that can provide smoke for you or at least a division. 

i kind of want to keep PT but i can either move move vigilance to SE which i'm fine with as it meh to me or maybe drop man AA for all of them.

i rarely div up but rather hug the islands near my DD

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
437 posts
2,980 battles

i kind of want to keep PT but i can either move move vigilance to SE which i'm fine with as it meh to me or maybe drop man AA for all of them.

i rarely div up but rather hug the islands near my DD

Personally, I don't think Vigilance is worth it on the Minotaur, since you have hydro but also because it's pretty agile. If I say dropped my manual AA i'd probably get the Torpedo Expertise over vigilance personally, but it depends what you value. 

You can drop the AA I can see that as you could get another 3 and 1 point for it and that's all useful. I sit on the fine line of dropping it my self but I prefer to have that AA just a bit stronger for the games you do get CV's or in the case of spotting planes/fighters from other ships you can dispose of them rapidly. The Minotaur is one of those ships where the build can be a bit loose as long as you have super intendent and Concealment expert. So the rest of the build is a bit more preference.

I really don't think a radar Minotaur is really worth it, it's far too fragile and the citadels too large, and the vast majority of Edinburgh's, Neptune's and Minotaur's i've seen using radar tended to have one thing in common. They exploded really quickly after they activated it. But feel free to experiment I just don't think it's worth it.  

Edited by Blitzkrieguk

Beta Tester
506 posts
5,263 battles

Personally, I don't think Vigilance is worth it on the Minotaur, since you have hydro but also because it's pretty agile. If I say dropped my manual AA i'd probably get the Torpedo Expertise over vigilance personally, but it depends what you value. 

You can drop the AA I can see that as you could get another 3 and 1 point for it and that's all useful. I sit on the fine line of dropping it my self but I prefer to have that AA just a bit stronger for the games you do get CV's or in the case of spotting planes/fighters from other ships you can dispose of them rapidly. The Minotaur is one of those ships where the build can be a bit loose as long as you have super intendent and Concealment expert. So the rest of the build is a bit more preference.

I really don't think a radar Minotaur is really worth it, it's far too fragile and the citadels too large, and the vast majority of Edinburgh's, Neptune's and Minotaur's i've seen using radar tended to have one thing in common. They exploded really quickly after they activated it. But feel free to experiment I just don't think it's worth it.  

all true, always good to get other opinions. i probs do just that with toprs. 

i've played a couple of hand full of games and she's ok with me, maybe not the most efficient  but it seems to work for me and i personally find it more fun. the lower tiers concelment is to high for it to be better over smoke but that 8.9km and 9.9km but hey whatever :)

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
437 posts
2,980 battles

all true, always good to get other opinions. i probs do just that with toprs. 

i've played a couple of hand full of games and she's ok with me, maybe not the most efficient  but it seems to work for me and i personally find it more fun. the lower tiers concelment is to high for it to be better over smoke but that 8.9km and 9.9km but hey whatever :)

While I did say SI and CE are core skills that's what everyone will say, but personally SE is also core. While i've had a few people laugh because they think i'm grabbing it because they think it prevents me from being killed in 1 salvo. Main reason is because if you survive and you say drop down to say 2k hp either in 1 salvo or consistent combat and you then drop your turbo heal which brings you up to 20k+ that extra 3.5k hp has literally become effectively another 20k. The amount of times where i've fallen into the zone for what ever reason and then turbo healed my self back up to almost half HP makes the skill invaluable and enables a massive amount of persistence, hence why I personally believe on the Edinburgh and above it's a core skill :great: 

[AAO]
Players
230 posts
5,952 battles

Its just frustrating when people dont regognise potential of ship and understand what is really good in Captain skills. Sorry for that. But with this build and play style minotaur is at its best. You must understand that if you take radar you are forced to sit back. And with low range and terrible gun arcs its useless. I might be as good as you guys in general but im better in certain ships. To improve your skills just listen better players about ship if you wanna learn.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
437 posts
2,980 battles

Its just frustrating when people dont regognise potential of ship and understand what is really good in Captain skills. Sorry for that. But with this build and play style minotaur is at its best. You must understand that if you take radar you are forced to sit back. And with low range and terrible gun arcs its useless. I might be as good as you guys in general but im better in certain ships. To improve your skills just listen better players about ship if you wanna learn.

Just let the chap experiment. I'm pretty sure if he can't make it work/becomes unfun he'll revert to using smoke. If he does well and has fun using radar, then props to him. 

[AAO]
Players
230 posts
5,952 battles

About vigilance, that skill gives more time to dodge torps in smoke. SE is totally meh because ship relys on stealth primarly. Its not made to knifefights.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
437 posts
2,980 battles

About vigilance, that skill gives more time to dodge torps in smoke. SE is totally meh because ship relys on stealth primarly. Its not made to knifefights.

Hydro makes vigilance kind of irreverent, where SE can allow you to heal back up to almost half HP if you're using the healing flag where you would already be dead, it's saved me/kept me fighting in matches far longer than the use of vigilance would be. And the Minotaur doesn't need to knife fight, you can mow down DD's in droves in close quarters, and if you're going in close you'll have hydro running.  

As I said, i'd rather take torpedo armament expertise over vigilance in the Minotaur. But these kind of skills are not core, it's down to preference, so if you feel your play style needs vigilance in this ship then keep using it. As long as you have SI and CE, most the majority of skills can be argued down to preference well bar a couple. 

Edited by Blitzkrieguk

Beta Tester
506 posts
5,263 battles

Just let the chap experiment. I'm pretty sure if he can't make it work/becomes unfun he'll revert to using smoke. If he does well and has fun using radar, then props to him. 

funny enough that is what gave me the idea to do it and with the cheap reskills why not.

i do recognise that she is extremely powerful and i simply wanted to have a dicusion about it but thank you for your view about being forced back, i personally haven't had this happen to me but i'll keep that in mind

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
437 posts
2,980 battles

funny enough that is what gave me the idea to do it and with the cheap reskills why not

I figured it would be. Amusing video, though I wonder how many games he went through while trying to put that footage together where he just got annihilated before he could be any use.

Beta Tester
506 posts
5,263 battles

I figured it would be. Amusing video, though I wonder how many games he went through while trying to put that footage together where he just got annihilated before he could be any use.

well maybe i've been lucky but fairly often, i find my self being more aggressive with my conlement if i can and if it turns i have the way it plays out (which i don't atm) at least i learned with her