Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
mad3mad_

Alabama is garbage

33 comments in this topic

[GURKA]
Players
3 posts
7,145 battles

I expected it to be powerful like north carolina, but its not even close  ... its guns accuracy is crap that i cant even do appropriate damage neither from close range or far range, yesturday i salvo mogami at 8 km perfect broadside yet i get only 1 penetration, 2 days ago a tirpitz citadels me from front .. i swear new mexico works better than this ship ... how am i supposed to test the ship before buying it? it wasnt even there in the test client .... i talked to them about refund or doubloons but they dont agree and said we don't do refund once ship is used  ... total regret buying this garabage , i switched my captain back to north carolina , alabama will just sit there like useless ship , i wish i could at least give it to a friend

Edited by ma7room

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

i switched my captain back to north carolina

huh?

Alabama is a premium, the whole idea is that you switch captains in them from regular ships and you don't need to retrain them to have all skills/perks active :popcorn:

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,756 battles

I expected it to be powerful like north carolina, but its not even close  ... its guns accuracy is crap that i cant even do appropriate damage neither from close range or far range, yesturday i salvo mogami at 8 km perfect broadside yet i get only 1 penetration, 2 days ago a tirpitz citadels me from front .. i swear new mexico works better than this ship ... how am i supposed to test the ship before buying it? it wasnt even there in the test client .... i talked to them about refund or doubloons but they dont agree and said we don't do refund once ship is used  ... total regret buying this garabage , i switched my captain back to north carolina , alabama will just sit there like useless ship , i wish i could at least give it to a friend

Your results in the Alabama do not suggest that the ship is bad; 59% winrate 80k damage/battle, 30% main battery hit percentage and a peak damage of 139k damage - hardly results to expected from a bad ship?
  • Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

Your results in the Alabama do not suggest that the ship is bad; 59% winrate 80k damage/battle, 30% main battery hit percentage and a peak damage of 139k damage - hardly results to expected from a bad ship?

What is his dmg in NCal though, since he said he expected it to be as good as NCal? Maybe he has 70% on NCal which would make his statement pretty spot on regarding relative performance?

Players
849 posts
2,954 battles

I haven't got the North Cal. And to be honest, my gaming time is pretty limited compared to what it was with working full time and studying a degree in my spare time on top. So I'm not going to be able to grind to the North Cal, the Alabama is close enough to it that I'm just happy to play that ship :). I've had some decent results in it, the accuracy isn't as good as the NC (think it was Notser who quoted its sigma value?) but it's way better than the shotgun 15" guns on the Gneisenau, can never get that to hit anything! It's armour is strong when well angled and I've been having a lot of fun in it. Ru DD's are annoying though, they're pretty much impervious to your fire since the shell travel time is so long they just dodge and keep on firing HE, in fact unless you get super lucky if they kite you from their max range they're nigh impossible to kill if you're the last one standing. 

Players
1,458 posts
2,640 battles

I dont have NC to compare it with but IMO Alabama is contender for best Tier 8 BB at the moment.

Reasons for this: Immune to CV. Best guns for a BB at tier 8 bar maybe NC due to little sigma difference that is not noticeable, turrets turn faster.

Survivability department:12 meters shorter than NC. Maneuverable AF which means angling is a breeze. Concealment can be brought to troll levels at 12.2km.

Will be top pick if next ranked season peaks at tier 8.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,756 battles

What is his dmg in NCal though, since he said he expected it to be as good as NCal? Maybe he has 70% on NCal which would make his statement pretty spot on regarding relative performance?

Caveat: He has 17 battles in the Alabama and 214 battles in the NC.

His North Carolina results are: 52% winrate. 56k damage/ battle. 25% main battery hit percentage and a peak damage of 206k.

Tirpitz: 206 battles, 57% winrate, 66k damage/battle, 29% main battery hit rate and a peak damage of 174k

Bismarck: 91 battles, 67% winrate, 81k  damage/battle, 34% main battery hit rate and a peak damage of 215k

Amagi: 14 battles, 29% winrate, 64k damage/battle, 31% main battery hit rate and a peal damage of 97k.

Based on the results for his other tier 8 BBs bearing the caveat of limited number of battles played in mind I really don't see anything that suggests that the Alabama is performing worse than the other BBs.

Edited by atomskytten
  • Cool 3

Players
1,458 posts
2,640 battles

Without sounding like a [edited]it seems he should stick to Bismarck and let the computer do the firing for him. (Secondary build)

Seems to me it is a git gud issue. Case closed from me.

[JRM]
Players
660 posts
10,865 battles

Well if you did not delete Mogami with broadside hit, than something is wrong :). I am just joking, i don't have Alabama, so i really have nothing to say here about topic, and cannot really say, but i am dedicated Mogami player.

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
5,072 posts
9,812 battles

I haven't got the North Cal. And to be honest, my gaming time is pretty limited compared to what it was with working full time and studying a degree in my spare time on top. So I'm not going to be able to grind to the North Cal, the Alabama is close enough to it that I'm just happy to play that ship :). I've had some decent results in it, the accuracy isn't as good as the NC (think it was Notser who quoted its sigma value?) but it's way better than the shotgun 15" guns on the Gneisenau, can never get that to hit anything! It's armour is strong when well angled and I've been having a lot of fun in it. Ru DD's are annoying though, they're pretty much impervious to your fire since the shell travel time is so long they just dodge and keep on firing HE, in fact unless you get super lucky if they kite you from their max range they're nigh impossible to kill if you're the last one standing. 

​Thats the Problem for me ...I have Iowa researched but if i would be still at Colerado? I got Texas, Arizona, Alabama. Missouri. You get the Feeling they want making actually grinding the line worthless.....not very motivated to buy Iowa to get to Montana atm.....

Back to Topic. I found Alabama exactly what i expect from a NC for me she performed quite ok thogh i only had a copple of Matches they were both T10 and i did 60 to 130 K playing carefully as low Tir. She certainly dont have Problems with Midway planes :teethhappy:

Players
1,458 posts
2,640 battles

Well if you did not delete Mogami with broadside hit, than something is wrong :). I am just joking, i don't have Alabama, so i really have nothing to say here about topic, and cannot really say, but i am dedicated Mogami player.

In 11 games i can tell you i've killed 2 mogamis from full HP in the Alabama, with salvos that were not properly aimed but just snapshots. 

Citadels have happened from throwaway salvos from 19km too. 

As a player who loves the IJN cruisers but is crapat playing them, I feel guilty every time.

Players
332 posts
7,604 battles

I think this ship is pretty good and my stats are far worse than these, I wish I was that bad!

[TOAST]
Players
1,992 posts
25,650 battles

59% winrate 80k damage/battle, 30% main battery hit percentage and a peak damage of 139k damage

Pretty much what he expects from a New Mexico.

Players
842 posts
8,386 battles

I think it's the usual issue that OP pay tanker is still not OP enough because mony and reasons. 

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,124 posts
11,662 battles

Alabama is extremely similar to the NC, it's definitely no worse.

I don't feel the sigma difference is relevant at all, since BBs shouldn't be sniping. At 12km the dispersion is more than sufficient to delete things.

[SCRUB]
Players
7,299 posts
9,543 battles

Alabama is extremely similar to the NC, it's definitely no worse.

I don't feel the sigma difference is relevant at all, since BBs shouldn't be sniping. At 12km the dispersion is more than sufficient to delete things.

Eh, even at brawling ranges poor sigma can bite you pretty nasty when that one salvo just goes everywhere except on target.

But that's about the only real argument OP has. Alabama has noticably worse sigma ... but that I'm pretty sure every Youtuber who tested the ship said as much, so there's little excuse not to know and expect subpar accuracy with this ship.

[GUNUP]
Weekend Tester
551 posts
26,734 battles

Every Ship gets its Pros and Cons and you may "read" the Wiki Article about it to see...

Cons:

• Her 45 caliber gun shells are slow to land on target; extra lead is needed at range (similar to North Carolina).
  • Rudder shift — while faster than North Carolina — is still fairly slow.
  • Below average armor piercing shell velocity.
  • Dispersion can be unfriendly at times, and she can't mount Aiming Systems Modification 1 to improve it.
  • Not as well-armored as lower-tier American battleships; flashing her broadside to enemy battleships is suicidal.

And now start with this, the First Alabamas i saw fire HE? - LOL - for that. I have good Results on the Ship and to be fair, i only loose one of the 15 Matches i have for now...

Short said, you have to use your tight turning Circle and your 16. Inch Guns which are the same then Iowa and Montana to make the Enemy HAPPY. First Game at all "Defeat" 500k Credits - "Garbage?" No!

[SCRUB]
Players
7,299 posts
9,543 battles

And now start with this, the First Alabamas i saw fire HE? - LOL - for that.

Not just HE.

Maxrange with spotterplane and firing HE!

Many a father's creditcards weep right now.

Players
1,458 posts
2,640 battles

Every Ship gets its Pros and Cons and you may "read" the Wiki Article about it to see...

Cons:

• Her 45 caliber gun shells are slow to land on target; extra lead is needed at range (similar to North Carolina).
  • Rudder shift — while faster than North Carolina — is still fairly slow.
  • Below average armor piercing shell velocity.
  • Dispersion can be unfriendly at times, and she can't mount Aiming Systems Modification 1 to improve it.
  • Not as well-armored as lower-tier American battleships; flashing her broadside to enemy battleships is suicidal.

And now start with this, the First Alabamas i saw fire HE? - LOL - for that. I have good Results on the Ship and to be fair, i only loose one of the 15 Matches i have for now...

Short said, you have to use your tight turning Circle and your 16. Inch Guns which are the same then Iowa and Montana to make the Enemy HAPPY. First Game at all "Defeat" 500k Credits - "Garbage?" No!

Iowa and montana get 50cal gun, NC and Alabama have 45.

Players
453 posts

Speaking for someone who doesn't have any USN BB other than Texas and now the Alabama... I have in 9 matches more average damage than I got in pretty much every other BB (IJN and DKM) I have. Only exception is the FdG... by 200dmg.

If I can make it work like that, the OP has absolutely no excuse.

[BTS]
Players
1,064 posts
4,867 battles

The reviews stated clearly enough that the ship had average accuracy. But it may be too much effort, reading a whole page before to sink 40 quids into a ship.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,124 posts
11,662 battles

Not just HE.

Maxrange with spotterplane and firing HE!

Many a father's creditcards weep right now.

There's an argument for long range HE spam, although that would only be to close the distance not to enhance even further with a spotter plane.

RNG, angling and the enemy dodging means you probably won't consistently get massive citadels at long range. However a bit of HE and it's likely they'll ignite and burn, either wasting their DCP or giving you a bit of damage stack.

Obviously switch back to AP for close range work and vs Cruisers...

[ST-EU]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
1,902 posts
3,681 battles

Alabama is basically better than North Carolina.

North Carolina has over Alabama

- Better mid range AA

- 3k more HP

- 2km more range (as if you needed anymore).

- Slightly slower HE shell

- Slightly better concealment

- More precise accuracy (Alabama will go wayward more often).

None of those are really noticeable in game.

Alabama in return gets better turret armour, better turret traverse, better torp protection, better turning circle and better rudder shift. Better adapted for being closer, but with no real disadvantage over North Carolina. The HP and accuracy is about it. And from my experience, the accuracy still works most of the time.

• Cool 5

Sign in to follow this