Sign in to follow this  
cptsimian33

Pensacola is it any good now? (Review)

55 comments in this topic

Players
2 posts
850 battles

Pensacola is it any good now ? tried it again after the surface detection buff to see what  its like to play now. always loved the guns,

but being able to be spotted from the moon has always been an issue with this ship.

first game in it after the surface detection buff.

Players
885 posts
7,313 battles

Before the concealment buff, I tried working through the Pepsicola twice -- ended up rage-selling the ship twice.

I had really, really good luck the third time. For me the reduced concealment made a remarkable difference. It always had excellent guns, and excellent agility. It just couldn't survive being everyone's priority target, all the time, that was the full extent of the problem.

One thing that might skew my perception is the T7 MM which felt remarkable friendly -- I felt I was top tier in T5-7 most of the time.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,726 posts
7,383 battles

Glad to hear that. I stopped when getting the Cleveland a year ago. Might give it a shot too. Hope the NO isnt a complete pain.

[TENGO]
Players
309 posts
6,003 battles

She is very good now, I could consistently get 60k+ damage games in her.

Just make sure you use the tight turning cycle to dodge BB shells because every hit she takes seems to be a citadel.

Players
300 posts
7,667 battles

Unfortunately for me I had just moved onto the New Orleans when the Pensacola was Buffed, getting concealment expert on the Commander was a requirement to play it really. I mainly went after cruisers at close range and wiped them with multiple citadels (got 5 citadel in 1 salvo on a full HP Emerald once at <5 km he didn't survive) the problem was getting close to make use of the AP which meant hugging islands. Very demanding but rewarding, BBs were the problem as they would just delete you because in the open you were always first spotted. So the Buff in concealment was all it needed to become competitive and is much more player friendly.

Players
440 posts
5,824 battles

Didn't have big problems playing with pensa-NO before the buff -> now having even less issues

Pensa: Guns with AP that really hurt CA and even broadside BB, good HE for long range HE spam, excellent agility for a CA, excellent turrets angles...

You can delete any cruiser, for BB you stay at max range and slightly turn to send 10 shells then reangle....almost never receiving citadels.

[SNUBS]
Players
1,275 posts
6,686 battles

found this ship nice even before.

but she got a lot more survivability now with more concealment.

also priority target lets u know when ur actualy targeted so u can keep shooting even when detected mutch more easy.

this is a great buff to the ship as well 

the rest is still the same tho.

Players
3,041 posts
3,645 battles

Glad to hear that. I stopped when getting the Cleveland a year ago. Might give it a shot too. Hope the NO isnt a complete pain.

sad to say, it's horrendous,

trust me, its just not worth it

the baltimore is a bit better but still kinda mediocre

but the Des moines is GOD!

Players
406 posts
556 battles

Pensacola is it any good now ? tried it again after the surface detection buff to see what  its like to play now. always loved the guns,

but being able to be spotted from the moon has always been an issue with this ship.

first game in it after the surface detection buff.

I love the Pensacola now, the range really does make a huge difference. I feel like she's also a bit more flexible nowadays and could adapt to more play styles. :)

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles

It's good that people are making positive comments about Pensacola. It has been a disliked - even hated - ship for a long time.

I feel that it has a high skill ceiling. I have the ship because I bought it on a discount weekend. Also have the Indianpolis which is a close relative. Can't get the hang of these cruisers TBH. They reward good gunnery, and punish poor gunnery such as mine.

In the game at large though, the Pensacola is still struggling a bit in the hands of most players. WT data for the last two weeks shows Pensacola rankings as follows (out of 13 ships, minimum 1000 battles):

Number of battles: 5th

Win Rate: 11th

Damage: 10th

Average XP: 7th

Kill/Death Ratio: 9th

Survival: 6th

Edited by Admiral_H_Nelson

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,108 posts
11,650 battles

Biggest USN Cruiser issue is they have no torps other than on their T5 and the Flint.

Then again I'm just a dirty Atago player :trollface:

• Cool 1

[BODEM]
Players
65 posts
4,222 battles

My problem in the Cleveland is that everybody seems to have longer range and a special tracker with my name on it. I love the looks of the ship, I love the turret setup (as I love the fire spewing 4x3 setup from the russians), I love how the guns sound, but with 13.something km range I can't shoot anything before I get hit my metal, fire and explosives myself. At least it can take more beating than my other high tier cruisers in the Russian and Brttish line, but where I do well with the long range of the russian floating sigars or the awesome concealment and tricks the Brittish fight with, the Yankees with their shorter range than the Ruskies and worse concealment than the Tommies I just can't come to grips with. Doesn't stop me from trying cause I think it's too cool a ship not to try and git gut with, but with the standard 14 km on every other US cruiser down the line, things seem to be staying rough. 

Players
748 posts
11,447 battles

Biggest USN Cruiser issue is they have no torps other than on their T5 and the Flint.

Dont you forget about somebody Negativv? :sceptic: Really dissapointing :P
  • Cool 1

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles

Dont you forget about somebody Negativv? :sceptic: Really dissapointing :P

Well I can think of four other US cruisers with torps! :).

[-MM]
Beta Tester
1,182 posts
1,435 battles

Started back on the Cleveland again after the buffs to this line, wanted the Des Moines for ages after having it in CBT but couldn't go through the line again with the state the mid tier ships were in. 

Players
440 posts
5,824 battles

Before USN cruisers buff they were ok, just pensacola not having  decent concealment....now they are a bit better and I still love my USN cruisers.

Still not the ships for noobs/tomatoes, if someone prefers easier cruisers then pick USSR/KM ones.

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,408 posts
14,616 battles

I'm another one who stopped at Cleveland for a long time due to the bad mouthing Pensacola's had since... forever?. But at some time I decided to start with it and I ended up liking it (and that was long before the concealment buff).

Then I stopped again for a while before starting NO, and again I felt it was better than people thought. Now that it's been buffed it's definitely a keeper for me, and can't wait to reach Baltimore.

Moral is... to hell with what people says. Try it by yourself before forming an opinion. There are tons of clueless players stating their opinions as if they were facts in these forums.

Edited by JapLance

Players
482 posts
7,639 battles

I had no huge issues long time ago when I was grinding the USN CA line but the meta was different. BB were not so many. Guns are so good. Grind a T7 is not so painfull, close your eyes a week and it's done ;-)

The game of weak armor and graeat guns is allways funny if you are not a TryHardEveryGame guy.

Players
440 posts
5,824 battles

Current release:

USN cruisers still have a bad reputation -> thanks mostly to the mass of noobs/tomatoes who can't use those cruisers qualities.

Pensacola: Since the buff:

- Great guns and 10 of them and good guns angles so this + the ship's manoeuvrability it is easy to swing fire and reangle.

- Very good AP,; easy to get several citadels on any cruiser foolish enough to show broadside at any range (+some BB)

- Decent HE, can quickly be a pain for any BB (burned down a Bismarck little by little the other day)

- Speed ok but the manoeuvrability is incredible for a cruiser

- Good AA of course

- Armor: Usually never eat citadels -> except if caught broadside but then any ship caught broadside is going to get punished...learn to angle and stay at range and you will seldom eat citadels.

- Concealment: Quite good

-> best way to play it (at game start) stay second line and wait for the opportunity -> if a cruiser is broadside then AP and enjoy...always be aware of the minimap and where the BB and CA are.

Compared to other T7: KM meh I never got to like it, USSR great HE spammer but totally lacks AP punch, IJN great with torps but I still prefer my pensacola's AP and agility, UK its own playstyle.

NO: Same as pensacola with radar

Balti: To me just a transition to DM, I kept my pensa and NO but not my balti

DM: Best tier 10 CA, wins any 1v1 fight against a CA.

• Cool 1

Players
30 posts
1,955 battles

I like Pensacola because of the punishing aspect - make a wrong move and get deleted instantly.

Liked it before the concealment buff, but sold her before the patch to buy a Gneisenau or something. Might aswell buy it back and start the grind onwards.

[-MM]
Beta Tester
1,182 posts
1,435 battles

My problem in the Cleveland is that everybody seems to have longer range and a special tracker with my name on it. I love the looks of the ship, I love the turret setup (as I love the fire spewing 4x3 setup from the russians), I love how the guns sound, but with 13.something km range I can't shoot anything before I get hit my metal, fire and explosives myself. At least it can take more beating than my other high tier cruisers in the Russian and Brttish line, but where I do well with the long range of the russian floating sigars or the awesome concealment and tricks the Brittish fight with, the Yankees with their shorter range than the Ruskies and worse concealment than the Tommies I just can't come to grips with. Doesn't stop me from trying cause I think it's too cool a ship not to try and git gut with, but with the standard 14 km on every other US cruiser down the line, things seem to be staying rough. 

Use islands and your arcs to burn down BBs, plus you are pretty tanky against other cruisers if you angle, whilst massively out DPMing most of them so as long as you avoid their torps you can brawl against other cruisers quite well.

You don't really want to be max range with the Cleveland anyway because of the loopy shells, work around 10km I'd reckon and use island cover as much as possible when facing BBs. When you are top tier you generally get smaller maps where the engagement ranges are a lot closer so it's not hard to always be in the action even when using island cover.

Just started playing it myself, and whilst it's not as good as it was in CBT it's still a very strong cruiser, plus it's pretty much immune from carriers. 

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,108 posts
11,650 battles

I'm trying to level the Pepsi stock.

It's utterly terrible as the turrets are BB slow and your rudder isn't amazing either.

Plus everyone knows Pepsi melts under fire so you get focused. They one of my #1 BB farming targets...

• Cool 1