Sign in to follow this  
Migantium_Mashum

AFK Players, idea for possible solution.

9 comments in this topic

Players
951 posts
8,500 battles

We all know the games where team members are afk for the whole game, whether down to DC or just away.

Straight away you are down 1 player, 1 ship, how severe the depletion depends on the type of ship absent.

Is there any way that a ship idle or afk for more than 5 minutes can become an AI ship?

Although not a perfect solution you would at least have the ship active and in game firing on the enemy.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,731 posts
7,392 battles

First of all ... WG needs to consider two possibilities.

The player lost connection (for any reason).

This players should not get punished, as they did not do it on purpose. Either game clients froze, or they lost connection due to some other factor.

Players who exit the battle on purpose.

This players have not lost connection and have abandoned the game for some purpose (usually missions that depend on winning).

This players should get severely punished by any means WG sees fit.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,731 posts
7,392 battles

That was not my question.

Yeah, but you already know the answer to that dont you? :)

Players
951 posts
8,500 battles

It is all about the possibility of writing in a program that kicks in when a player has been idle for 5 minutes substituting a live ship for AI.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,731 posts
7,392 battles

The problem is that player / ship assignments happen during the "pre-load", meaning once the battle loads, it gets bound to the battle. That is why you have to wait for your ship until the battle ends.

Your proposal requires a complete rework of the battle structure and is highly unlikely to happen in the "near" future.

Edited by nambr9

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,783 posts
10,685 battles

What's more, there are some situations where some problems (be it with Internet, client or something else entirely) force the player out of the game or don't let him load - but aren't permanent. I've had matches where I needed to re-start my client (usually loading freeze or crash) or router (internet problems caused by old piece of junk) and either loaded very late (but not necessarily too late to impact the battle significantly) or managed to return (of course this usually requires the problem to happen mercifully when you're not on the front line - enemies don't tend to ignore ships just because they suddenly stopped firing :P ). These situations are somewhat hard to reconcile with substitute AI...

The one change I'd really like is for Ranked battles to be dropped if any of the players didn't load after 1 minute from the game start. It's still too early for any team to do much, the lack of ship is often an insurmountable problem in 7v7 AND the penalty for defeat is harsh - I'm pretty sure people would prefer to experience some drops ("damn, I thought we had a game but here we go back to queue") rather than find themselves in 6v7s because an ally just didn't load...

Of course there should be some limits/penalties to discourage attempts at rigging ("oh, no, I don't like the match-up, better kill the client process") but I'm pretty sure it could be handled in a way that allowed some breathing space to people with game client problems without being easily exploitable. Maybe some "more than 1 in 5 games loading failure -> 1h Ranked ban; increasing for repeated offenses" rule.

Players
2,743 posts
15,609 battles

First of all ... WG needs to consider two possibilities.

The player lost connection (for any reason).

This players should not get punished, as they did not do it on purpose. Either game clients froze, or they lost connection due to some other factor.

Players who exit the battle on purpose.

This players have not lost connection and have abandoned the game for some purpose (usually missions that depend on winning).

This players should get severely punished by any means WG sees fit.

problem is  those two are indistinguishable

as soon as measures are implemented rage quiters will quit via task manager or switch out the pwer of their pc

Alpha Tester
2,070 posts
1,108 battles
Thread closed as there are already existing threads that discuss this topic. Please use the search function next time.