Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Thracen

Center point screwage and why we're where we are, maybe.

4 comments in this topic

[DAVY]
Players
384 posts
5,367 battles

So there are 3 points on domination. Most teams in random pick a combination of AB/BC the old AC strat is rare. This seems to be based on the idea of supporting fire. Fair enough. However those ships trying to take the center point have the harder task as they take all the fire. They have ships in front of them contesting the middle point and ships on a flank. 

Much better tactically to take the flank points and face fire from a smaller angle. I think this is why dds don't get supported into some points and why lemming trains occur. Leaving the poor fools that listen to a center point start to get screwed. 

Furthermore, this is compounded by the fact that the safest thing for any ship to do, (once you've left port) is stick with the greater number of allies. You may not win with no caps, you may not get much damage sharing the spoils, but you never die fast for nothing.

So this leaves two types of players, those that want to try and play the game to win and win well, and those that just don't want to get blown up. These personalities naturally shift to ships that suit them. This creates aggressive DDs and CCs that moan about passive BBs.

Is the simple answer just spawn placement, Make it obvious from the start for one lump to go A and one to go C? No unbalanced cross fire, more incentive to go forward, no dispute in tactics. Yes games may be overall more 1 note but the initial phase maybe more palatable? More players going forward, less getting deleted off the bat. I don't know, what do you think?  

Players
69 posts
3,574 battles

Most DDs and CAs run so fast to the capture points that they are sunk before the range circle of my BB even reaches the capture point. In other words they never give BBs a chance to even get into range so that they can help them.

Now I have to make a decision whether I want to throw my BB away or try to get to a different objective.

So the answer is be more aware of where help is and how fast help can arrive. Even if I make it into range I can't sink all the ships that shot at you in a few second, so most likely you are gone by the time I fire two salvos

[DAVY]
Players
384 posts
5,367 battles

At higher tiers nearly all ships can reach 30 knots, the variation in speed is narrower. Also the cc cap rush is less common up there too. At least in my opinion. Part of my point is the confusion at the start of the match, you can't take a glance at the map and know what peoples intentions like you can when everyone had picked a direction. It's this decision phase that is an issue, some players launch into action, others purposely wait and follow the largest group, (others simply need another 2 minutes to load in or are AKF/bots). It's this different decision making/load in times that makes that initial team play difficult. Once a team gets to the second stage of gameplay natural units tend to have formed, this is where things get fun in my book, so getting more ships to this stage and achieving it fast would create a better ( more fun and engaging) gameplay loop.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,094 posts
10,904 battles

Much better tactically to take the flank points and face fire from a smaller angle. (...)

That's simply not true. On really small maps that might make sense, but think about what happens when two teams actually decide on neighboring caps vs flank caps strategies:

1. Team X goes for points A,B

2. Team Y goes for points A,C

The XB force is flanked, the YA force is flanked. The XB force turns toward A, the YC force follows but shooting retreating (from their perspective) ships is hard while YA force is caught by enemies advancing from two sides. YA force is likely to be destroyed, YC force unlikely to even briefly take B (because XB force can shoot back too, if needed).

Basically, while it's true that the B gets initially flanked from both other caps, they generally can just fold towards their allies, cleaning that flank before the enemy can really utilize the 2-caps flanking position to gain any advantage from that. That's why the "base" optimal strategy would be for smaller force to go side cap, the bigger one: to the middle (that way because if enemy abandons this side cap, the force that went there is effectively out of the battle for a bit and then the team with bigger force at B has an advantage).

Of course the reality is that people lemmingtrain to one side cap abandoning the rest of the map OR they just disperse completely but, well, online gaming.

Of course, individual maps can change the optimal strategy depending on how much cover is there on the way to - and between - specific caps...

Sign in to follow this