You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
G01ngToxicCommand0

Perhaps reduce the chance of fire on the Alabama?

21 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,756 battles

After having it played it for some games it is clear that it catches fire on a rate that reduces its ability to play as a brawler/tank even when maxed out on fire prevention and damage control and without doubt this will lead to a boring sniper meta for this ship. It is not like it has some OP special feature like the radar on the Missouri but rather it seems like the steel on it was made from matchwood.

It feels like the probability for fire on the Alabama matches those of tier 5 or 6 rather than tier 8?

Not only does it catch fire but the damage from fire appear to be ticking at a higher rate than usual but that may be confirmation bias due to the high number of fires it gets every single game.

Perhaps reduce the probability of fire inflicted on the Alabama so it will be feasible to give close support to DDs and CAs rather than having to resort to range module, spotter plane and blue line sniping?

Edited by atomskytten
  • Cool 1

Players
533 posts
2,201 battles

You just have to be a bit more cautious, you should not really get under fire by a lot of ships at once or you will be in trouble in any battleship. The only thing you can do is flags and the skill and mod you mentioned. 

Also im sure you know this but dont repair 1 fire except when you know you are safe, and if under heavy fire its sometimes even good idea to sit with 2 fires for a bit. Its a learning curve. Fires are annoying but they are a balance to the power of battleships. 

Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,756 battles

You just have to be a bit more cautious, you should not really get under fire by a lot of ships at once or you will be in trouble in any battleship. The only thing you can do is flags and the skill and mod you mentioned. 

Also im sure you know this but dont repair 1 fire except when you know you are safe, and if under heavy fire its sometimes even good idea to sit with 2 fires for a bit. Its a learning curve. Fires are annoying but they are a balance to the power of battleships. 

I'll play it some more and see if it was random or not.

Players
720 posts
8,665 battles

They seem to be pretty quick at fixing things with the Alabama. Meanwhile my poor Warspite that burns as if made from fire lighters sits rusting in port.

Edited by LetsRockAndRoll

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles

The proportion of battleships in game is too high, as even Wargaming themselves have stated.

The OP has gotten this the wrong way round.

If the USS Alabama really does catch fire more than other battleships then they should nerf the other battleships so that they catch fire just as easily.

It would be a welcome step to making battleships less attractive to play.

Off out now, but will catch up with this thread when I get back - it will be #1 priority.

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,684 posts
9,234 battles

"Dear WG, my ship is still taking damage from non-master race ships. Please nerf"

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,726 posts
7,370 battles

Nothing caches on fire as the Sharnhorst. And I mean nothing  .. not even dry wood in Australia :)

Alpha Tester
2,070 posts
1,108 battles
numerous posts removed.  Keep your minor squabbles away from here. Be civil to one another and more importantly, follow the forum rules.

[DAVY]
Players
1,538 posts
9,015 battles

can't say i've noticed any more fires than other ships...

Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,756 battles

can't say i've noticed any more fires than other ships...

Perhaps I have been a victim of RNG but iChase seems to have a similar experience with Alabama:

Players
1,458 posts
2,640 battles

Perhaps I have been a victim of RNG but iChase seems to have a similar experience with Alabama:

There is a simple reason for that. Alabama's superstructure is tightly packed and setting 2 fires on it is not hard. (As is on Fuso for example, where the 2 bits of superstructure are so far apart)

That said Alabama is a great ship and with concealment build you can dictate when you get shot. The fire prevention skill also nullufies this weakness but im not a fan of it.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,108 posts
11,635 battles

Catches fire no easier than any other ship.

Play a Russian DD and see actually how hard it is to ignite things and getting the fire to stay. It'll likely take over a minute of constant firing to get a BB burning if they're smart with DCP as you need to wait for it to pass out the immunity time.

Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,756 battles

There is a simple reason for that. Alabama's superstructure is tightly packed and setting 2 fires on it is not hard. (As is on Fuso for example, where the 2 bits of superstructure are so far apart)

That said Alabama is a great ship and with concealment build you can dictate when you get shot. The fire prevention skill also nullufies this weakness but im not a fan of it.

Play a Russian DD and see actually how hard it is to ignite things and getting the fire to stay. It'll likely take over a minute of constant firing to get a BB burning if they're smart with DCP as you need to wait for it to pass out the immunity time.

Or perhaps I got that impression because she is very wide compared to her length and may take more hits than say the other tier 8 ships which naturally increase the number of fires? Anyway setting up the ship and the captain for full damage control/survivability does help but that obviously presents limitations other places such as AA/Secondaries range. concealment and the number of heals available.

Overall the Alabama is definately worth the money and is a strong ship when showing the proper angle as the inclined belt is very good at deflecting shell when they hit an angle.

Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,756 battles

numerous posts removed.  Keep your minor squabbles away from here. Be civil to one another and more importantly, follow the forum rules.

Could you move this topic to the Ships/Battleships sub board please as it really belong there?

Thank you in advance.:tea_cap:

[SLO-M]
Players
204 posts

Perhaps also reduce the chance of being hit by a torp or a shell? Perhaps also reduce the spotting distance to 2 km and introduce stealth fire to 2.1 km?

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,108 posts
11,635 battles

Taking too much fire damage is a sign you've over extended. 

Nothing much would save you if that's happened.

If fires offend you that much then get Fire Prevention as a 4th Level Captain skill.

I don't take it for any of my BBs personally, it's not needed.

Players
524 posts

This is what puzzles me...  :unsure:  when playing a DD it is incredibly difficult for me to set fires but when playing BB's, it's like its bonfire night every night or [insert applicable gaming time here].