You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Sea_viper

1940 Hood is T6 material

122 comments in this topic

[BONE]
Players
240 posts
4,697 battles

There is alot of reason for Hood to be in T6.

1. It is a contemporary of Mutsu, since Hood never got a rebuild, she remains more or less stock like the Mutsu in game. Both ships are not very well armored, not very accurate, but Mutsu have really big guns and Hood is very fast.

2. The Hood have similar fighting efficiency as Warspite in 1940. Since Warspite have a complete rebuild, it got the most up-to-date Fire control, more streamlined shells, same gun elevation of 30 degrees, better deck armor, better underwater protection, more efficient light weigh machinery while the Hood only have much greater speed and more complete side armor.

3. Modernised Hood is T7 material. With Armour weakness removed and receiving modern firecontrol and AA, Hood/Admiral class will be very competitive at T7, having more fire power and then S&G at similar speed.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,127 posts
11,666 battles

There's about 4 Hood topics already. So many more in days to come...

WG can play with tiers. Ships are often knocked up or down. Like Cleveland (down) and arguably Scharn, Gnesi, Colo,Naga sit in a weird bracket of BBs.

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,684 posts
9,234 battles

"If my favorite ship doesn't dominate its tier, then it should be downtiered to dominate that!"

Because apparently guns that are already damn good for tier6  that can overmatch basically everything a 16" gun can, updated with better ricochet angles on a fast, decently armored ship with a well hidden citadel is bad.

This is why powercreep happens.

• Cool 2

[BONE]
Players
240 posts
4,697 battles

"If my favorite ship doesn't dominate its tier, then it should be downtiered to dominate that!"

Because apparently guns that are already damn good for tier6  that can overmatch basically everything a 16" gun can, updated with better ricochet angles on a fast, decently armored ship with a well hidden citadel is bad.

This is why powercreep happens.

Good guns in T6 = worst guns in T7 (except for Shinny hourse)

Decently armored = less than Warspite

well hidden citadel = above water citadel more poorly armored than Mutsu and Warspite

With worst Torpedo protection to boot 

You are not making much sense to me...

[BONE]
Players
240 posts
4,697 battles

Not to sound too un-alarmist but the Hood is still in supertesting and is not yet finalised.

I am not necessarily think WG is doing a bad job in give the states of the ship... The problem is the ship they are modeling is actually in a rather sorry state by 1940...

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,684 posts
9,234 battles

Good guns in T6 = worst guns in T7 (except for Shinny hourse)

Decently armored = less than Warspite

well hidden citadel = above water citadel more poorly armored than Mutsu and Warspite

With worst Torpedo protection to boot 

You are not making much sense to me...

Hmm, the guns are as good as the Gneisenau, and has 2 more. Tack on boosts to ricochet angles, and you have very decent AP.

Armor will always be better than the soft Nagato.

Everyone has a citadel above the waterline. Only this one is slightly lower and still has more protection than the Nagato.

Torpedo protection is good and all, but so is having 6 extra knots in top speed.

How you could think this would be balanced in tier6 along with things like the New Mexico and Fuso is beyond me.

Weekend Tester
541 posts
4,965 battles

I am not necessarily think WG is doing a bad job in give the states of the ship... The problem is the ship they are modeling is actually in a rather sorry state by 1940...

The game is a complete fantasy anyway, so historical ship stats and states are fairly irrelevant.

Players
391 posts
3,060 battles

With the way tier are currently set up, would it make much of a difference?

all knows its weak , and only rn fans will buy it,,

And that's where you are wrong, kiddo!
Edited by Bismarck_chan

[CHATS]
WoWs Wiki Team
12,082 posts
7,662 battles

all knows its weak , and only rn fans will buy it,,

If she is release like that, I have doubt buying her... And I really, really like the Hood... But right now, I have doubt.
  • Cool 2

[BONI]
Players
1,064 posts
9,340 battles

Doesn't matter anyway, t6 MM might as well be t7 whereas t7 rarely gets uptiered to 9 ime. Either way you end up in a lot of t8 battles.

[-DSA-]
Players
2,710 posts
7,832 battles

Speed, armor, and guns are quite ok for Tier VII and might be too strong for Tier VI (depends on dispersion and max range). Problem for me is that she is terribly long, has no AAA, and has very bad torpedo protection. Easy pick for every carrier.

[CHATS]
WoWs Wiki Team
12,082 posts
7,662 battles

Problem for me is that she is terribly long, has no AAA, and has very bad torpedo protection. Easy pick for every carrier.

And has a terrible truning circle radius and rudder shift time... Easy pick for a destroyer too.

Not mentionning the fact that the armor is "meh" and won't save you from long range hit. Every things can overmatch your bow too...

And the guns... Well, they just seems "okish".. Not bad, but nothing spectacular like the Warspite.

Players
2,380 posts
15,503 battles

And has a terrible truning circle radius and rudder shift time... Easy pick for a destroyer too.

As a destroyer player I'd like to point out Gneisenau is the hardest BB to to hit with torpedoes. Raw speed and acceleration is the best counter to ship launched torpedoes. Hood has that in spades, you can sail onto another map before 55-60 knot torpedoes eventually catch up.

We just need fairly accurate guns on Hood, that's the only thing she needs for tier 7 to fun and competitive without being OP.

[CHATS]
WoWs Wiki Team
12,082 posts
7,662 battles

We just need fairly accurate guns on Hood, that's the only thing she needs for tier 7 to fun and competitive without being OP.

Agreed. :great:

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,684 posts
9,234 battles

There is this one ship, called Baltimore....

The least played tier9 cruiser?

Yeah, better downtier the Hood to tier6 just for the very rare situations where it meets a bow tanking Baltimore it can't hit with its plunging AP with increased ricochet angles..

/sarcasm

• Cool 1

Players
894 posts
11,126 battles

Maybe first we should actually see the ship in motion before we jump into conclusions. Plus, as WG never seems to directly nerf a premium ship, it is actually better if she comes out somewhat lackluster and gets fine-tuned later. I am strongly against introducing further overpowered vessels

Besides, its nor that T6 has a far more favorable MM...

• Cool 1

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles

If she is release like that, I have doubt buying her... And I really, really like the Hood... But right now, I have doubt.

+1

[ST-EU]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
1,902 posts
3,681 battles

[edited]

Historically speaking, Hood has the same armament as QE (& hence Warspite), very similar armour, but is 8kn faster and a hell of a lot larger. That can bring disadvantages like worse maneuverability, but also brings advantages like more HP. And the rest is usually WG balance characteristics. Par example, historically all the 15" turrets had 2 degrees p/second traverse speed, and accuracy is almost completely made up and doesn't represent much. Therefore WG do as they wish for the stats. So a faster QE would be tier 7. The modernised version could work at tier 7, but if you throw in 15" supercharges, the modernised ship becomes a lot like a less well armoured but faster Vanguard.

I should shut up though, I am treading a fine line between historical and in game. 

Edited by RogDodgeUK
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to inappropriate content. RogDodgeUK
  • Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,756 battles

[edited]

Historically speaking, Hood has the same armament as QE (& hence Warspite), very similar armour, but is 8kn faster and a hell of a lot larger. That can bring disadvantages like worse maneuverability, but also brings advantages like more HP. And the rest is usually WG balance characteristics. Par example, historically all the 15" turrets had 2 degrees p/second traverse speed, and accuracy is almost completely made up and doesn't represent much. Therefore WG do as they wish for the stats. So a faster QE would be tier 7. The modernised version could work at tier 7, but if you throw in 15" supercharges, the modernised ship becomes a lot like a less well armoured but faster Vanguard.

I should shut up though, I am treading a fine line between historical and in game. 

Speed is also a tier deciding factor as the faster ship has more influence on the battle's outcome compared to a slower ship with similar damage capabilities. HMS Hood would be OP on tier 6 simply due to her max speed.

Edited by RogDodgeUK
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to inappropriate content. RogDodgeUK

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,062 posts
3,667 battles

Does it matter? it is still going to meet the Bismarck :trollface:

• Cool 6

[BONE]
Players
240 posts
4,697 battles

[edited]

Look, Kongo with 8X14 inch guns in T5 is doing fine, so the argument of claiming it to be OP just because of speed is not valid at all.

The turret traverse is of course a free parameter for WG to adjust, but it won't solve the problem that 1940 Hood have worst Gun ballistics and armor than the Warspite. If they bothered to date a ship to 1940, than no supercharge please.

If you think a Faster QE should go to T7, I would totally agree. But it should be an "Admiral class" like the Nagato which enjoys all the (long overdue) modernisation. 

Edited by RogDodgeUK

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,684 posts
9,234 battles

Look, Kongo with 8X14 inch guns in T5 is doing fine, so the argument of claiming it to be OP just because of speed is not valid at all.

The turret traverse is of course a free parameter for WG to adjust, but it won't solve the problem that 1940 Hood have worst Gun ballistics and armor than the Warspite. If they bothered to date a ship to 1940, than no supercharge please.

If you think a Faster QE should go to T7, I would totally agree. But it should be an "Admiral class" like the Nagato which enjoys all the (long overdue) modernisation. 

Kongo has less armor and 14" guns don't overmatch what 15" guns can.

Nor does the Kongo have special AP with higher ricochet angles.