BackToTheMud

The slow death of American Destroyers

20 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1 post
1,075 battles

American DD’s have been effectively nerfed since the end of the Beta. The buff to BB and Cruiser turning circles mad it a lot harder to hit them at range with the slow velocity of the US 127 mm guns. Thanks to the introduction of the Soviet, and later German, US DD’s have pretty much lost their role as DD hunters. The increasing amount of radar, and to a lesser degree spotter aircrafts, have made it very difficult to ambush anyone. I’m also guessing that the current changes to the Demolition Expert and Fire Prevention captain skills has probably hit them the worst. Not to mention what Radio Location have made of all DD’s ability to sneak around a flank. The last thing American DD’s had that made them special was their superior ability to stealth fire; and now they don’t even have that.

I bought my way into the closed beta with the Sims, and US DD’s has been my favourite class of ships ever since. The combination of scouting, jousting over cap circles, exact maintaining of distance, and precisely timed ambushes is why I have continued playing this game. I play this in in periods, and it’s always the US DD’s that brings me back. But WG have continuously nerfed them by proxy ever since WoWS’s launch in 2015. And of course the game need to evolve with the introduction of new ships, but part of that could reasonably be that only US DD’s can stealth fire. In any case, American Destroyers need some love from Wargaming. 

//Mud

• Cool 1

Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,414 posts
5,085 battles

Thx god, no more stealth fire from US dd!!!

I will say the same when WG finally does something against BB population and nerfes them, too.

Everyone is happy when something else get hurt, isnt it?

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

I will say the same when WG finally does something against BB population and nerfes them, too.

Everyone is happy when something else get hurt, isnt it?

He plays Gearing :hiding:

I think he means to say USN DD's are best played in closer ranges where they are superior to any other DD?

• Cool 1

Players
248 posts
5,147 battles

Try to hit a DD with a BB at 15 km. just try it. it's nearly impossible if the DD player is good. stealth fire was an usless thing in my opinion (i never played the US DD) you can still rain shell on the poor BB like before you just need to avoid to remain in the same position like before but continue to move. US DD have good rate of fire and good range. 

Players
8 posts
3,753 battles

Try to hit a DD with a BB at 15 km. just try it. it's nearly impossible if the DD player is good. stealth fire was an usless thing in my opinion (i never played the US DD) you can still rain shell on the poor BB like before you just need to avoid to remain in the same position like before but continue to move. US DD have good rate of fire and good range. 

ya its not really the bbs that are the issue. if they can see you then other stuff can to

[KOKOS]
Beta Tester, Players
3,371 posts
8,809 battles

I am still having great games with my Sims. :great:

Players
248 posts
5,147 battles

ya its not really the bbs that are the issue. if they can see you then other stuff can to

the isse are the cruiser and really what stealth fire can do about that? as I said before I don't play american DD but as my experience with cruisers i can say that never a DD begin to stealthfire on me. usually they focus on more "static" target as BB. so stealthfire didn't change how to approach them. 

also American DD can easly destroy other destoyer especially japanese one.

Players
1,422 posts
13,022 battles

the isse are the cruiser and really what stealth fire can do about that? as I said before I don't play american DD but as my experience with cruisers i can say that never a DD begin to stealthfire on me. usually they focus on more "static" target as BB. so stealthfire didn't change how to approach them. 

also American DD can easly destroy other destoyer especially japanese one.

IJN DD's are the worst DD's now. You can easily kill IJN DD's with US DD's. German DD's are harder to kill, but you tend to come out on top. This used to be the case with soviet DD's also. But after the alpha DMG buff they pretty much kick USN DD's in the nuts now. But Play USN DD's as torpedo boats with very good self defence guns. But don't use them if you don't have to. 

The fact that SF is gone is not bad, but the 20 second bloom after firing guns is pretty bad for DD's. But if you play very carefully and don't risk anything, the USN DD's are pretty good torpedo boats.

Is it fun to play torpedo boat? Depends. Fun for a few matches, then it gets boring. (Atleast for me)

Edited by MortenTardo
  • Cool 2

Players
9 posts
3,133 battles

Yep... I used the Commander skill to increase range of Main Armament by 20%.  This new patch has rendered that skill useless since the detection range is exactly the same as the maximum range now.... yet another example of WG pandering to the whiiney winnging BB drivers.  WG.... why not just call it World of Battleships, because that is what it has beecome now :(

• Cool 1

Players
26 posts
6,351 battles

Thx god, no more stealth fire from US dd!!!

Yep, We've all hung up our binoculars. There will be no more World of Warships from me. Tried a few times since the update and I can't fire guns in my tinfoil DD at all without being immediately targeted and blown out of the water in a hail of fire.  U.S DDs had good gun range but the trajectory to the target was a joke, I had the AA and max gun range increase of 20%, now that range is a liability because everyone on the map sees you. Upgrade your AA and your detectabilty become available for everyone on the map. It's a complete and utter waste of what was a good game. Why not just line the DDs up in a row like in a coconut shy and the lazy bumblers in their BBs can shoot easier.

Enjoy your BB battles because there's a lot of guys out there feel the same as me. DDs are fast becoming extinct because of a stupid update which has ruined the game.

The more I type the more pissed off I become because I played the game regularly and the WoW team have really screwed it this time.

And they STILL haven't sorted out that stupid, stupid radar and sonar. Radar and Sonar from WW2 CANNOT see round corners and behind islands unless it's fantasy World of Warships.

Edited by the_Faither

Players
26 posts
6,351 battles

[TENGO]
Players
309 posts
6,003 battles

If you play USN DDs as stealthfiring maxrange snipers you are playing them wrong and I do not want to have you on my team.

[_IRN_]
Community Contributor
85 posts
7,760 battles

I don't think they are dying, and not even becoming weak. There are more types of dds now and each of them is trying to get his own place in the game. Yes, american dds don't have all the roles they had before, but they didn't become weak, no one else took away all they had. They still have an incredible smoke duration, which is very useful both for yourself and your team (competitive matches are full of Benson's), they chew up other dds at short range and are the stealthiest dds together with IJN dds. Not to mention they have great torps in the high tiers, very close to IJN torps level.

I don't see them dying any soon. 

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,108 posts
11,635 battles

USN DDs are great still, just maintain fire discipline unless you're killing IJN DDs or close range spamming something. Smoke is still op and the torps are great from T7 onwards.

Players
116 posts

US DDs are good all-rounders, they are balanced. They are not extremely strong at specific features (ex. soviet guns or japanese stealth) but they are fairly good at everything, unlike most of their counterparts that are very strong at some points while very weak at others. All I can say is that they became harder to play since the introduction of the other lines, at least for me - I don't consider myself a good DD player, especialy the soviet line because now they are not the best gunboats. I believe that they are still good ships that can do a wide variety of tasks.

[-FC-]
Players
222 posts
9,283 battles

I read this and had to check - twice - that the OP said US DDs and not IJN.  Maybe when the US DD torps at T8+ become worse than their Jap equivalents, then I'll start taking this more seriously.  Until then, even the recent 0.6.4 "buffs" haven't really returned the IJN DDs to their former deadliness.

Players
49 posts
2,583 battles

I expect that when the British DD's are added that they will be the gun oriented DDs.

I feel the reason BBs are so popular is the lack of skill needed to do well in, the other day I noticed one BB that stayed in his starting square sniping 20 km away.  I believe the only way to turn this glut of BBs is to require them to have to move so just increase the difference on a square so it is 25% percent larger or higher.  Then the BBs will have to make strategic decisions  on where to go to be effective and that should make crusiers and DDs more viable as they don't have to commit to one area of the map, especially dds.