Server Maintenance - January 18, 6:00 CET (5:00 UTC) Read more... ×
Server Maintenance - January 18, 6:00 CET (5:00 UTC) Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
AtlanticFleet

French Cruisers-Looking Good!

376 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
192 posts
6,862 battles

From the text descriptions it looks like speed and radar are going to be their advantages.Which is most welcome after the disappointing British line.

Whoever thought that sitting in smoke clouds is a fun and engaging gameplay mechanic needs to be stranded on a distant island with a pistol with only one shot.

EDIT: Despite the T6 cruiser having a description of having radar....apparently there is no radar.

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
1,964 posts
2,146 battles

From the text descriptions it looks like speed and radar are going to be their advantages.Which is most welcome after the disappointing British line.

Whoever thought that sitting in smoke clouds is a fun and engaging gameplay mechanic needs to be stranded on a distant island with a pistol with only one shot.

The important thing is that different lines have different gameplay - diversity is good!

British smoke knights vs. voyeuristic French voltigeurs will make for some fun and exciting engagements, don't you think? :)

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,679 posts
9,234 battles

Radar?

Where did you see a radar?

All I saw was a speed boost, and what seemed like good acceleration and ability to bleed speed.

Beta Tester
192 posts
6,862 battles

Radar?

Where did you see a radar?

All I saw was a speed boost, and what seemed like good acceleration and ability to bleed speed.

If you look on the text description of the T6 it says something like "enhanced anti-aircraft and surveillance radar" on the last sentence.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,726 posts
7,346 battles

Notser and Flamu are playing them right now on twitch.

T6 has either hydro or def AA + speed boost. No radar. But it has a funky placed citadel :D

Edited by nambr9

[SCRUB]
Players
7,294 posts
9,510 battles

If you look on the text description of the T6 it says something like "enhanced anti-aircraft and surveillance radar" on the last sentence.

The ship descriptions are fluff and have nothing to do with ingame characteristics.

As far as we know, french cruisers won't get radar.

Players
2,173 posts
3,836 battles

If they dont have radar, they do have hydro.

I was watching a bit that video from some russian guy who was testing it and so far it looks really nice ships.

Players
1,048 posts
20,181 battles

We won't know about radars until we can see the list of consumable available, i just hope they will have acces to the Repair Party.

Players
2,741 posts
15,549 battles

w00t m8?

also radar on french ? while not even the prince eugen gets radar while it had one of the most advanced radar system at its time???

• Cool 1

[MASLO]
Beta Tester
663 posts
1,238 battles

w00t m8?

also radar on french ? while not even the prince eugen gets radar while it had one of the most advanced radar system at its time???

Is there anyone who actually likes playing british cruisers? Probably only thing more boring than BBs, CVs and Zao are brits and most of all minotaur.

Disappointing would be quite mild way of describing them.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,386 posts
13,800 battles

while not even the prince eugen gets radar while it had one of the most advanced radar system at its time???

I'd love the source on that. All I can find is that she eventually carried a radar that was based on recovered allied technology.

Never heard anything about MN cruisers getting radar consumable either. I doubt we can take ship descriptions as a credible source.

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles

Is there anyone who actually likes playing british cruisers?

Yes, lots of people.
1. People who like being able to fire from smoke, because they are fed up of being deleted in games with too many BBs
2. DD players who don't like other cruiser lines, but like the RN line because it has many of the same tools as their favourite class
3. People who like intense, hectic play. The RN lives up to it's "High Risk, High Reward" label.
4. People who like the agility of the ships and the way that you can dodge almost like a DD.
5. People who just like pumping out the damage in effective ships and being a high scorer for the team - the RN can be star performers if you are good.
6. People who don't really like spamming HE. They prefer quickly dealing damage with AP - and superior AP at that.

..and this...this... is coming from the person who is possibly the most critical of RN cruisers on the forum.  :)

• Cool 13

[POMF]
Beta Tester
1,907 posts
3,807 battles

French cruisers right now have meh pen, no armour and are huge. They don't get radar but they do get speed boost, although that doesn't necessarily give them an edge in speed as their base speed is slow.

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

Flamu doesn't like them. So WG will probably introduce them as is :D

The Italian tier 6 looks fun. 

[MASLO]
Beta Tester
663 posts
1,238 battles

Yes, lots of people.
1. People who like being able to fire from smoke, because they are fed up of being deleted in games with too many BBs
2. DD players who don't like other cruiser lines, but like the RN line because it has many of the same tools as their favourite class
3. People who like intense, hectic play. The RN lives up to it's "High Risk, High Reward" label.
4. People who like the agility of the ships and the way that you can dodge almost like a DD.
5. People who just like pumping out the damage in effective ships and being a high scorer for the team - the RN can be star performers if you are good.
6. People who don't really like spamming HE. They prefer quickly dealing damage with AP - and superior AP at that.

..and this...this... is coming from the person who is possibly the most critical of RN cruisers on the forum.  :)

1. Strange people... nothing more boring than that. I mean, i am CA player primarily and went for gearing after they ruined angling and CAs became terrible, but i would rather not play than sit in smoke and shoot. You play CAs because BBs are boring and too stationary... only to go for CAs that sit in smoke and move even less than BBs. Doesnt make sense :P

2. Well, might be ok... that was actually what i hoped RN cruisers would be, but what we got was worst crap ever. I envisioned something stealthy, nimble and with good AP that would perform hit and run attacks with torps and devastating short range AP salvos from stealth and then evade due to great agility and vanish again. Opposite of lobbing spammers we got. Something like AP only, smaller caliber but railgun style with high pen for short and medium range ambushing and stuff. That would be my style :D

3. Intense hectic play... say what? I say they are most boring most static crap in the game, maybe more static than BBs even, and you say intense and hectic? They either sit in smoke or behind flat islands to lob shells whole game.

4. Ok i guess, if they actually moved

5. Ok i guess, there are such people, tho its baffling to me... i like playing games for fun :). Then again, i rather suicide for 50 more damage and some more fighting than run and survive . So guess im opposite of that.

6. Well... RN AP is pretty much HE without fires, volume crap that you spam away for small numbers that pile up over time. Sure it is somewhat better than pure HE, but they are next worst thing

But ok i guess... to each their own. I see them as worst addition to game since end of alpha. At least when it comes to ships, angling nerf in 3.1.4 patch is worst thing by far if we take everything into account

• Cool 1

Players
2,741 posts
15,549 battles

I'd love the source on that. All I can find is that she eventually carried a radar that was based on recovered allied technology.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WRGER_06.htm

Is there anyone who actually likes playing british cruisers? Probably only thing more boring than BBs, CVs and Zao are brits and most of all minotaur.

well they are super strong, flexible, skill intensive, an now and then even exciting to play.

i and most players of the better half of the spectrum like them verry much.

i personally fear everything that is a cruiser from now on has a hard job pleasing me cause RN CL's set the expectation bar way to high ....

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,679 posts
9,234 battles

Never heard anything about MN cruisers getting radar consumable either. I doubt we can take ship descriptions as a credible source.

You'll find that explanation in the superior German technology : stronk kriegsmarine kruppstahl edition handbook.

If anything, there's strong historical reasons not to give MN ships radars.

The Americans didn't want to give Free French ships their US built FCS-radars during their modernization refits during the war, although they did refit them with their own detection radars.

The Richelieu for example only received inferior British built FCS-radars.

On that basis, I would argue that French ships (current and future DDs), being designed either prior to, or only a handful of years after WWII should never get radars unless gameplay requirements supercedes historical events.

View PostGojuadorai, on 30 March 2017 - 07:17 PM, said:

The argument was that Germans had the best and most advanced radar of the entire war, not if it had one or not.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_Radar_WWII.php

[laughs in US radar]

Sorry, couldn't hear you over the sound of a 1941 radar with a maximum of 37m range accuracy at 37km and only 2mils of bearing accuracy, laughably better than the Prinz Eugen.

But to laugh a bit more, the Tirpitz received the same radar the  Prinz had in 1944.

Meanwhile, by that time, the US received upgrades that reduced the range accuracy to a mere 5m, all while reducing the size of the dish by more than 50%

"Germans had the most advanced radar"

lulz

Edited by Exocet6951
  • Cool 1

[ATRA]
Beta Tester
388 posts
7,128 battles

From the text descriptions it looks like speed and radar are going to be their advantages

[edited]
Edited by RogDodgeUK
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to forum rules violation. RogDodgeUK
  • Cool 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,386 posts
13,800 battles

You'll find that explanation in the superior German technology : stronk kriegsmarine kruppstahl edition handbook.

Ah, yes, I have yet to acquire that. :trollface:

The FuMO 81 is the one based on recovered British technology, which was deemed superior to existing German radar systems when examined by German radar manufacturers.

Players
1,048 posts
20,181 battles
quoted post removed

You could ask for a Dunquerke mode for the whole British line while you're at it... 

I sold all my British Cruisers, i didn't like their guns and camping in a smoke bubble is not my playstyle at all, even playing DDs, on the other hand they can keep doing it, i torp/kill enough of them this way, including Belfasts, or flush'em out of their cocoons and keep them spotted if they're lucky enough to escape the strike, last one i killed him with guns.

Same for the Fletcher i just got today, i geared her up for AA from strock, first modif but it's unplayable vs radar, hydro is already bad for DDs, but radar is totally overdone from my PoV and i wont play above tVII for this reason, too many radar-equiped ships, skill-less campers or DD hunters playing in those tiers, Belfast is already overpowered at  tVII (althoug good tactics can easily beat them), so Fletcher/Gearing-full mm, no thanks.

Edited by RogDodgeUK
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to forum rules violation. RogDodgeUK

[-AWF-]
Players
1,196 posts
6,468 battles

The important thing is that different lines have different gameplay - diversity is good!

British smoke knights vs. voyeuristic French voltigeurs will make for some fun and exciting engagements, don't you think? :)

I would like more realistic ships....

[HEROS]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,581 posts
12,052 battles

funny-laugh-gif.gif