Server Downtime 21/02 04:00 UTC Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Aotearas

How about a ship upgrade that reduces maximum firing range?

42 comments in this topic

Players
3,041 posts
3,645 battles

An upgrade to trade firing range for some better shell speed and arcs would do wonders for my Des Moines

[SCRUB]
Players
7,556 posts
9,775 battles

the sheer fact that the above proposal makes total sense should have told WG how stupid their idea was... but guess not

I'm pretty sure the fact that the Iwaki Alpha is stealthier when shooting than not is enough to show how moronic the detectability changes are.

But WG just don't care, so the all we can do is try and make the best of it ... or stop playing at all (WG is trying hard, though I'm not quite there yet, give it two more patches or so).

Players
6,008 posts
7,043 battles

Makes sense, would like to have so +1.

Yep. And since a war game it is not bad idea. There is always a weapon and contr-weapon  (AA-planes, sonar-submarines, etc).

But the problem is that WG* dislike the open water stealth fireing so if you can get that kind of module/captain perk you would get bigger penaltiy (-30% to ROF?).

*we all know that the BBabies are responsible for this ;)

[PORT]
Players
156 posts
7,967 battles

I play mostly Co-op (yes OK, calm yourself I've heard it all before and I am in fact a [edited]).

I have removed the fire control mod from most of my ships that had it. In Co-op the bots are extremely aggressive and once you've been spotted they charge you head-on (or charge your smoke) so there's virtually no chance of breaking off and dropping into stealth. The only slight downside to lower gun range now (for Co-op games at least) is the loss of about 15 seconds firing time at extreme range in the opening engagement and it takes a bit longer before you can fire on the carrier at the end of the match.

For the most part the lower gun range and hence the lower detection range is helping, and quite frankly there are some ships (USN DDs I'm looking at you) where I wish I could chop it further.

Edited by RogDodgeUK
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to inappropriate content. RogDodgeUK

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,329 posts
7,643 battles

So, in light of the recent changes to the detectability mechanics, I find myself pondering that on some ships, I'd actually like to reduce my maximum firing range to make them more effective.

As an example, the high tier RN CLs (Edinburgh, Neptune and Minotaur) have maximum firing ranges ranges in excess of 15km (15.4km for Edinburgh, 16.5km with Neptune and 15.8km with Minotaur). But with the slow shell velocity and the arcs, actually penetrating anything at that range isn't that reliable. Since that is no longer a possible freebie you could attempt for no loss on your own with stealthfiring, a good chunk of that firing range is effectively wasted and your detectability gets punished disproportionately in return (detectability doesn't care if you couldn't hit/penetrate anything reliably at that range, you'll get spotted anyway ... unless you're in smoke but even RN Cls aren't always sitting in smokes).

So how about a ship upgrade that actually decreases your main battery firing range in exchange for other buffs (improved dispersion/sigma and/or rate of fire)?

As an upgrade for cruisers and destroyers (not BBs, they're good enough as is and whilst such an upgrade might be a nice tool in aggressive BB hands, BBs don't need even more help!) it might become an interesting choice for players in a number of ships (the RN CLs, US DDs and KM DDs are examples I could think of at the top of my hat).

Any thoughts about this from the community?

Congratulations you just invented a module that is more useful than any of the [edited] modules WG puts in the Supercontainers and i bet you only needed a fraction of time doing it then WG coming up with one of theirs.

Edit: Tho I bet if WG actualy would pick that idea up and implement it the module would definatly go in the slot where the good stuff is (you know those that cost 3 M and are only available for Tier IX+) just for the sake of [edited] it up.

Edited by RogDodgeUK
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to inappropriate content. RogDodgeUK
  • Cool 2

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,140 posts
10,930 battles

Congratulations you just invented a module that is more useful than any of the[edited] modules WG puts in the Supercontainers and i bet you only needed a fraction of time doing it then WG coming up with one of theirs.

Edit: Tho I bet if WG actualy would pick that idea up and implement it the module would definatly go in the slot where the good stuff is (you know those that cost 3 M and are only available for Tier IX+) just for the sake of [edited] it up.

Or they'd make it available to BBs. So that they'd get better dispersion at 20km instead of their usual one at 22km.
Edited by RogDodgeUK

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,238 posts
11,727 battles

Just don't install the upgraded FCS :trollface:

Sell it and have the original one on there!

[SCRUB]
Players
7,556 posts
9,775 battles

Just don't install the upgraded FCS :trollface:

Sell it and have the original one on there!

Doesn't work on premium or tier X ships though.

[M-WAR]
Beta Tester
83 posts
5,867 battles

I'm pretty sure the fact that the Iwaki Alpha is stealthier when shooting than not is enough to show how moronic the detectability changes are.

But WG just don't care, so the all we can do is try and make the best of it ... or stop playing at all (WG is trying hard, though I'm not quite there yet, give it two more patches or so).

You got to be kidding...Seriously?

GG Wargaming.

Maybe the muzzle flash generates something like in Men in Black (There was no ship. Just move along)

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
7,556 posts
9,775 battles

You got to be kidding...Seriously?

GG Wargaming. 

Aye.

Base surface detectability 10.8km (with camouflage make that 10.4km or 10.5km depending how the game rounds). Main battery maximum firing range is 10.2km. Tooltip over detectability says detectability after firing: 10.2km.

So yeah, Iwaki Alpha is harder to detect when she's firing her guns than when she's not firing her guns. Russian logic I suppose.

Edited by Aotearas
  • Cool 5

Players
15 posts
2,151 battles

Why do you need a downgrade when you cam achieve the same thing by just holding your fire until you're comfortable with revealing your position?

[TTT]
Players
3,932 posts
7,767 battles

Aye.

Base surface detectability 10.8km (with camouflage make that 10.4km or 10.5km depending how the game rounds). Main battery maximum firing range is 10.2km. Tooltip over detectability says detectability after firing: 10.2km.

So yeah, Iwaki Alpha is harder to detect when she's firing her guns than when she's not firing her guns. Russian logic I suppose.

has anyone happened to test whether this actually works? should be easy to do - go into a training room with a stationary BB bot, move to exactly 10.3km away, shoot - are you detected or not? I'd do it myself but I dont have an Iwaki...

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,140 posts
10,930 battles

Why do you need a downgrade when you cam achieve the same thing by just holding your fire until you're comfortable with revealing your position?

Because there's a significant tactical difference between firing at 10 km while being spotted from 15 and firing from 10 km while being spotted from 10.

Contrary to popular (or at least WG) belief, there are things like:

- islands that cover you from the view of your target but not some his ally 13 km to the side

- smoke clouds you're not in that do the same as islands above

- situations when your closes enemy died, hid in smoke or otherwise broke line of sight (hiding behind some rock or something) but has a friend within your firing range that keeps you spotted for a third of a minute after you stopped shooting

Currently having range in excess of what you are going to really use is a liability that, in some situations, can get you killed, force you to use smoke or stop you from even firing your guns to begin with

• Cool 7

[AAO]
Players
230 posts
5,952 battles

Im ready to give up from firing range on cruiser/DD for better rof/dispersion/damage. As the max range shooting isnt effective on RN after the removal of SF.

So its +1 for this proposal

[NED]
Players
4,289 posts
11,774 battles

Actually not a bad idea Aotearas. And why not on BB's? I'd love to trade range for better dispersion. It might even help in the camping problem...

• Cool 1

[AAO]
Players
230 posts
5,952 battles

It already exists.

It's called "cylone"

:P

Thats one of the worst game "features"

[CU]
Players
303 posts
3,457 battles

I'm actually up for this idea, just been trying to work out a new captain build on my Fletcher and would love to get down to an 9km firing range!

Players
2,811 posts
12,769 battles

It already exists.

It's called "cylone"

:P

Thats one of the worst game "features"

My ultimate nightmare: A cyclone while in an Epicenter mode battle. :(

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,329 posts