Sign in to follow this  
Daltarain_Destroyer

Gearing...what a joke now 0.6.3 (stealth fire topic)

31 comments in this topic

Players
8 posts
3,753 battles

WG...did you really do any community research? or did you just ask battleship players? 

Stealth fire was the only thing that enables DDs such as gearing, fletcher, akizuki and others to actually do any damage with their "guns" while still for filling their role of spotting the enemy. The 0.6.3 patch encourages smoke and camping two things that are far more disruptive to a game than stealth fire. A team that can not see the enemy will lose, if all the teams DD's (gunboats) need to relay on other ships to spot the enemy to use their guns then what is the point? Stealth fire really was not a problem, in the gearing the shell arcs prevent you from reliably hitting anything outside of 10 km. The only ships that should have this ability are DD's. The Zao is the reason for this whole scale nerf in my opinion, a player will moan if they get stealth fired by 203mm guns.

I can't see how one change is the right change for every single ship in the game from tier 1 to tier 10. Lets be real here, it doesn't affect most ships, just the ones that need the mechanic to actually function. 

Removing stealth fire all together was just lazy, it will result in players hiding behind islands and in smoke. It will leave players like me, who worked so hard for their gearing, just be left feeling like they have been let down by the devs who have failed to come up with a proper solution to a very small issue.

• Cool 5

Players
2,380 posts
15,503 battles

Stealth fire was the only thing that enables DDs such as gearing, fletcher, akizuki and others to actually do any damage with their "guns" while still for filling their role of spotting the enemy.

:amazed:

That makes no sense. How are you spotting destroyers and cruisers by stealth firing a BB that everyone could spot anyway?

[BUSHI]
Players
352 posts
3,872 battles

Only the Akizuki purely relays on its guns to do damage. Gearing and Fletcher have excellent torpedoes and guns. Sure the meta may slow down to "Ranked" level of play (heavy smoke and cover), but saying that Gearing & Fletcher greatly suffer from the change is silly IMO. 

[UNICS]
Players
1,210 posts
15,028 battles

Only the Akizuki purely relays on its guns to do damage. Gearing and Fletcher have excellent torpedoes and guns. Sure the meta may slow down to "Ranked" level of play (heavy smoke and cover), but saying that Gearing & Fletcher greatly suffer from the change is silly IMO. 

Hardly Excellent guns, they should buff the gun arc now that we dont have stealth fire :hiding:

Edited by Ysterpyp

[BUSHI]
Players
352 posts
3,872 battles

Hardly Excellent guns, they should buff the gun arc now that we dont have stealth fire :hiding:

We will have to agree to disagree on that point :)

I have to put more games in all classes to judge the "new" meta properly.

Players
419 posts
7,356 battles

Looking forward to testing the new patch and finding out if my whining about he akizuki was justified or not.

I preferred akizuki over russian DD's because it could operate at 10 km range and I prefer shell flight times below 10 seconds so spamming shells from 14.9 km range is not really my thing.

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

The issue is that ...

:amazed:

That makes no sense. How are you spotting destroyers and cruisers by stealth firing a BB that everyone could spot anyway?

.. not all DD's work that way. Akizuki being a lead ship? Really? You can't evade any well aimed torps with a DD which goes 33kts and has a 730m turning circle. If you can't torpedo beat, and you can't evasion tank, you're basically encouraging people to stay as far away from the enemy as possible while still being able to deal damage -> which leads to mostly useless damage farming on slow an not so manoeuvrable targets like BB's. 

VMF DD's can do it because of speed, USN basically should focus more on close engagements due to terrible shell arc, IJN is basically screwed and relegated to pure spotter / torpedo boats ( which would be fine really, but plox gib better concealment on torps if you force them into that role ). 

• Cool 1

Players
77 posts
13,895 battles

Like usual wargaming listened too the forum spammers and whining kids the serious  community is hardly ever heard. have 2 agree 100% with mgm,s comments and the others.The problem is Wg staff .

-1 For this update maybe before u do any major chances start a poll ????

feasible in game, of what changes  are dearly needed and what your player base wants?.

Instead wg chooses like usual, to  listen to the twelve year olds mimimimiiiiiieng and  sits in a cocoon with the in crowd spammers. thereby screwing world of warships like u did world of tanks.

Uk tree ?clan system ? clan based ingame options? ed have been asked for, and should have been ready after closed beta.. but noooooo japanese kiddy cartoon play cv nerf russian fantasy Stalin wood ships and now lets screw the stealth..use.. !!!! 

it will become even more static more smoke less movement..

Edited by Schneewolf

Players
77 posts
13,895 battles

did played gearing just now , and rly? dont see big problem ,,,,,

of course you wouldnt User xXx_Blogis_xXx is not proud of his stats and marked his account as private

Players
8 posts
3,753 battles

did played gearing just now , and rly? dont see big problem ,,,,,

The gearing is meant for harassing fire and torps dropped in the vague direction of the enemy, it has lost the ability to be flexible in how it moves and shoots. I don't want to sit still in smoke or behind and island to fire my guns, where is the fun in that? when was the last time a USN DD really bothered you in a bb while open water stealth firing and then when was the last time smoke stealth fire bothered you. because I wonder if War Gaming have misunderstood the complaints. stealth firing from smoke it very annoying but its an accepted game mechanic and so was stealth fire for DD's. How many players think they use stealth fire as a DD regularly? https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/8WTHT56      .Take the survey

Edited by Daltarain_Destroyer
  • Cool 1

Players
40 posts
8,596 battles

Looks like I got my Shimakaze in time.

Loved the Yūgumo's 6k stealth fire zone (with commander skills and upgrades).

Now I'll just sit back and spam torps towards the enemy with the Shimakaze.

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,684 posts
9,234 battles

In a fun twist of fate, the Gearing and Fletcher are now the torpedo boats with self defense guns.

IJN DDs are just sitting in the back eating glue.

Oh CBT, I can hear you rolling in your grave.

• Cool 5

[-BSH-]
Players
49 posts
4,403 battles

What is more of a joke is the fact the Kamikaze R, can now approach to around 4.5km range with near impunity; oh and did I mention 68 knot torps? Good look dodging those BB's :( You struggle even in a destroyer!

Edited by theonlymaverick

Players
1 post

I am not a DD player,more a Cruiser and Battleship guy. And yes i did find stealthfire a little annoying but i have to say that this solution on stealthfire is totally wrong. Detection range the same as gun range is so stupid. If i get upgrade that makes my gun range go up, i suddenly have to face the fact that i can get detected at larger distance.

Some stealthfire is something that has to exist.

[HELLN]
Players
64 posts
8,950 battles

What is more of a joke is the fact the Kamikaze R, can now approach to around 4.5km range with near impunity; oh and did I mention 68 knot torps? Good look dodging those BB's :( You struggle even in a destroyer!

U mean 5.4KM range. It didn't change.

[HELLN]
Players
64 posts
8,950 battles

Today's battle with Gearing in OCEAN map.

Not bad at all I think.

141uk2e.jpg

25j855l.jpg

Edited by dpo70

[TORCH]
[TORCH]
Beta Tester
439 posts
8,408 battles

Think the changes this patch were not needed at all, it feels like a waste of a patch imo. Smoke Timer fine, alternate controls fine, the actual mechanic changes = pointless.

What this patch seems to have encouraged more of is camping, which this game didnt need. 

Edited by Shade_UK
  • Cool 1

[-DNA-]
Players
92 posts

Today's battle with Gearing in OCEAN map.

Not bad at all I think.

141uk2e.jpg

25j855l.jpg

hahahahaah....ye very good... 26 hits with guns !!!!!!!!!! :teethhappy::facepalm:
  • Cool 5

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,774 posts
10,685 battles

52k dmg isn't a 'good' game...

No, it might actually be - but it's quite obviously a game where almost all of that damage was done to DDs. And while OPs reaction is going overboard where it comes to a ship with Gearing's torps, smoke and handling... well, his point about problems with contributing with guns against anything slightly bigger than a DD is hardly challenged by a t10 game below 60k damage.

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

No, it might actually be - but it's quite obviously a game where almost all of that damage was done to DDs. And while OPs reaction is going overboard where it comes to a ship with Gearing's torps, smoke and handling... well, his point about problems with contributing with guns against anything slightly bigger than a DD is hardly challenged by a t10 game below 60k damage.

So the way to play Gearing now is to torp DD's?

Since 26 gun hits for a Gearing is underwhelming to say the least. Anusuarai then did a better job with his 160k game with 112 gun hits and a couple of torps in his Gearing ( screenshot posted yesterday ). 

• Cool 1

[HELLN]
Players
64 posts
8,950 battles

hahahahaah....ye very good... 26 hits with guns !!!!!!!!!! :teethhappy::facepalm:

I see, u have never played the Ocean map before. :D

52k dmg isn't a 'good' game...

Did u see the results of the other players or we were just all noobs ???

U both missing the point here.

If u adjust your game play accordingly to the changes implemented u can can still have a good or decent game after all.

The same whining was all over the forum when they introduced Radio Locator. 

Now, everybody doesn't give a sh@t about it.

Edited by dpo70

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

I see, u have never played the Ocean map before. :D

A good Gearing player has 2x 40k dmg average and I bet they will never say that you can't use gun's on Ocean map. Gearing has almost equal concealment as a Shima... and the best close range guns. 

Sign in to follow this