You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
G01ngToxicCommand0

New trend: DDs now camping behind the BBs

169 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,756 battles

I suppose this was inevitable given how people work but now it seems that the new trend for DDs is to camp as far away from the objectives as possible trying to farm damage with guns and torpedos at maximum range. Can't really say I am surprised but still..

Anyone have any good ideas on how to get those DD players that now camp to play the objective because I haven't the foggiest idea on how to motivate or convince those players to teamwork. TK'ing them would be the obvious choice but that really isn't a solution but a token of frustration.

I certainly hops that this do not stick but only is a temporary FOTM untill people adjust to the removal of the stealth fire but if it doesn't, well...:yes_cap:

[TTT]
Players
1,952 posts
6,062 battles

Have the BBs move up and the DDs will follow, maybe?

• Cool 8

[DREAD]
Players
453 posts
7,651 battles

I have not seen any evidence of this so far today, but I do tend to stay in the lower echelons.

• Cool 1

Players
3,586 posts
7,303 battles

I have not seen any evidence of this so far today, but I do tend to stay in the lower echelons.

I don't see how the OP could be finding a new pattern in a patch that's a few hours old.
  • Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,756 battles

Have the BBs move up and the DDs will follow, maybe?

Play DDs yourself and get caps for free.

I mostly play CAs and DDs so I do but everyone else is camping all the time especially at high tiers and I have no clue on how to get those campers to move which is my OP question that no one wants to answer?
  • Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,756 battles

I don't see how the OP could be finding a new pattern in a patch that's a few hours old.

How would you, you weren't in any of the games I've played..

[BUSHI]
Players
352 posts
3,872 battles

Only 5 or 6 games in the new meta so far, but haven't spotted any unusual. One positive thing of note is that with the Z-23 I could control gun engagements with enemy DD's and having to only face them 1v1 (yay for GE DD buff). Took the Gearing for a spin and it was the usual stuff. Smoke, cap, torp, gun down anything in sight. Both enemy and our DD's contested caps with cruiser support in back. Too early to tell IMO.

[CAIN]
Players
2,731 posts
10,858 battles

I wouldn't say that DDs camping behind BBs is only related to the SF nerf.

It started with the introduction of RL and this was quite common when the enemy team had players with the RL perk.

The SF nerf just seems to have multiplied the occurance of chicken behaviour of DDs. :P

• Cool 1

Players
721 posts
10,603 battles

Well, why would BBs move up? They can now shoot even longer and/or shoot more things now since some ships are detected from further away when they shoot...

[TOAST]
Players
1,975 posts
25,616 battles

6 games and no evidence of this, obviously, the game has changed for a lot of ships, so players being cautious may be a reason for what you have seen, I am playing Russian cruisers T5 - T8, so nothing has changed for me.

Players
557 posts
4,734 battles

Here's the thing....... if the DD's smoked their BB's and sailed around spotting the enemy your friendly BB's can fire with near impunity. Just make sure you are maneuvering between your friendly smoked bb's and the enemy to spot incoming torps. 

DD's hogging smoke for themselves is something that really needs to change.

[CGER]
[CGER]
Beta Tester
1,455 posts
8,862 battles

BB-Players wanted the op stealthfire removed - now you got it removed...

Now live with ghost you have called:sceptic:

• Cool 1

Players
1,873 posts
2,442 battles

apart from one of the guys who have praised the update so much before the realese OP also appears to be one of the firsts to find something to whine about as soon as patch have hit the grid.....

oh so the patch was not so perfect and nice, was it?

PS. as for "convincing" people to play as a team you could of course always start by playing as a part of a team yourself.....

Players
3,586 posts
7,303 battles

How would you, you weren't in any of the games I've played..

You can't have played more than a handful of games, so one or two with DD exhibiting the behaviour you describe is not a trend.
  • Cool 1

Players
557 posts
4,734 battles

apart from one of the guys who have praised the update so much before the realese OP also appears to be one of the firsts to find something to whine about as soon as patch have hit the grid.....

oh so the patch was not so perfect and nice, was it?

PS. as for "convincing" people to play as a team you could of course always start by playing as a part of a team yourself.....

Team play would need to be incentivised.

A good step would be to give XP/credits to those who use smoke to shield friendlies from spotting.

So: if you lay a smoke screen and a friendly benefits the game would make the check of "Would ship be spotted without smoke" and if the answer is yes the smoke provider gets a bonus to XP/Credits every 5 seconds or something.

Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,756 battles

You can't have played more than a handful of games, so one or two with DD exhibiting the behaviour you describe is not a trend.

Hyperbole is required sometimes.

Players
748 posts
11,447 battles

So: if you lay a smoke screen and a friendly benefits the game would make the check of "Would ship be spotted without smoke" and if the answer is yes the smoke provider gets a bonus to XP/Credits every 5 seconds or something.

So if he doesnt stop inside you not only wasted the smoke but you also dont get the extra xp/creds... Nice rage we would have.

Players
1,409 posts
12,968 battles

I have not seen this, but players ingame are already whining about DD's not smoking them up. Sorry, but we only have 3-4 smokes, and we get spotted from the moon if we fire our guns now. Maybe we can help out sometimes, but don't count on it. Thanks for encouraging teamplay WG :facepalm:

• Cool 4

[TTT]
Players
1,952 posts
6,062 battles

Here's the thing....... if the DD's smoked their BB's and sailed around spotting the enemy your friendly BB's can fire with near impunity. Just make sure you are maneuvering between your friendly smoked bb's and the enemy to spot incoming torps. 

DD's hogging smoke for themselves is something that really needs to change.

The massive rewards a DD would get for that, makes it sound so appealing.

And anyway if I wanted to play a smoke bot in my DD I would stick to competitive.

• Cool 1

Players
10 posts
485 battles

Not a big issue for me tbh :P Currently playing the New Mexico with the strategy of plough headfirst into a cap "convincing" your team to follow (usually if you go forwards they tend to follow) tank lots of damage from angling well and score some half-decent hits with the reduced range to target / shotgun approach :D So if a DD is camping right behind me they'll be right up close in the fight helping :)

[_VI_]
Beta Tester
679 posts
1,740 battles

I'm giving you a like just for your avatar :)