Caledon a bit like DD's?

6 comments in this topic

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,171 posts
2,397 battles

Very new to WoWS.

So far I've played all the cruiser lines up to tier 3, and I've unlocked a few - three I think now - of the T4's, but I'm not ready to take them out yet.

I can begin to see how all the lines play slightly differently, but that there are a lot of similar characteristics, which I assume is down to them all being cruisers.

The exception so far seems to be the T3 Caledon. In the last few days I've taken out the T2 and T3 German DD's - only in PvE, as somewhere to start having a look at the destroyer class. I can't help but feel the Caledon plays more like a DD, especially when things go wrong, as when it does go wrong it goes wrong very very quickly.

Does that trend continue up the British cruiser line from now on?  

[BYOB]
Players
3,070 posts
11,033 battles

Tiers 3-4-5 of the Royal Navy are very similar. They are very fragile due to a high citadel and they shouldn't be played like destroyers (Japanese cruisers tier 3-4 play like DDs).

Starting from tier 6 RN cruisers get better, while you stay relatively fragile you get a ton of options to choose from (smoke, heal, hydro).

Players
1,429 posts
14,798 battles

First of all, welcome to WoWS! :honoring:

The British cruisers aren't easy to play, especially for beginners. It's best to learn the concealment/visibility mechanics first by playing other cruisers and DDs. Though the Caledon might work out quite well if you know how to utilize those strong torpedoes it comes with. At tier 4 the gameplay changes a bit, I didn't enjoy the Danae and I hated the Emerald with a passion.

But it's worth to keep grinding because the Leander and especially the Fiji are godlike. I would describe their playstyle like this: You have a ridiculously strong offensive power, it's not hard to do more than 100k damage. The trade-off is that you can get killed very fast so you have to learn how to position yourself and how to utilize your smoke and other consumables. If you make only one mistake, you're out.

• Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
1,902 posts
3,681 battles

Well, Tenryu was built as a cruiser to lead destroyers, and Caledon is similar. However, Caledon's citadel model should be similar to her equivalents (Tenryu, Phoenix etc.), but WG messed up and it is unnecessarily large. Ships like Caledon do play to an extent like large destroyers, but the RN CLs exaggerate that because of botched armour models (tiers 3 to 5), or bow/stern values being too low (tiers 6 to 10). They don't all play like very large destroyers, that stops with Emerald/Leander, but instead play as 6" armed cruisers which are very vulnerable because of the reasons listed above. To also compensate for the loss of HE and vulnerability, they get the HP repair (T3+) and Smoke generator (T5+) quite early as well

Leander is where the RN CL line does get a lot better competitively, and they play like very maneuverable cruisers with decent offensive firepower, which lacks flexibility (ahistorically reduced torp range and AP only), but that can be compensated for with the wide variety of consumables at your disposal to keep the ship alive for longer. The vulnerability does persist however, unfortunately.

Players
46 posts
7,017 battles

Caledon was more like a submarine when i played it :) 

Until you reach t6 and the wonderful Leander the grind will be a pain ; if you are a new player i advise you to start with the Usa tree ( the more easy in the start in my experience ) , than Japan or Deutch.

Cheers

• Cool 1

Players
587 posts
5,313 battles

At higher tiers the RN CLs don't play like destroyers, but a lot of experience in destroyers will certainly help you to play them - it means you're familiar with managing visibility and, if you've played US destroyers, with actually hitting things when your shells go via a call at the International Space Station.

But you are right that they are very fragile - in fact more fragile than destroyers in many respects. That doesn't change throughout the line, although from T5 you do get smoke to help you manage it.

As others have said, I wouldn't advise anybody to start with British cruisers until they've gained quite a bit of experience with the game (and in particular understand well visibility mechanics and armour mechanics - how to citadel things, and how to avoid that yourself). These ships (at least at T6 and above) are very powerful, but also very unforgiving; they take a lot of skill and concentration to use well. But of course, so long as you're enjoying it, feel free to ignore such advice!

Edited by _Flyto_