Sign in to follow this  
Horin728

Midway vs Hakuryu

15 comments in this topic

[CSF]
Players
471 posts
4,701 battles

With the amount of carrier topics and the amount of people who claim that the Midway is way underpowered, I thought I'll pich in with my thoughts and expirience.

Haku has a huge advantage in short games, where her high alpha damage knocks out ships left right and center, however, the longer the game goes on, the more are the odds stacked in Midways favour - higher plane reserve, better (and more numerous) fighters, better chances of floods and fires.

Midway catches up in damage done over time and outperforms the Haku in the super long games, where Haku simply runs out of planes to fight with. Therefore in order to win in the Midway you have to catch the 1st or 2nd strike of the Haku with a good strafe, or be able to shed enough planes that the Haku will run out sooner. To reduce her early damage potential, while applying your dots on big ships. Is it hard? Yes. But if you manage that, suddenly Hakus chances of winning dwindle.

Therefore the stock loadout Midway is the way to go. Going strike just gives Haku air superiority for not enough damage gain. If the Midway had her old 1/2/2 loadout then it might be worth it (and produce some awesome fights for AS - will you be able to strafe the Hakus fighters? Or will she lock down yours and obliterate), but for a dive bomber? No. 

Overall I think WG unintentionally struck an awesome and strange ballance between the strike Haku and stock Midway and most people, who claim that the Midway is useless, simply have not played her enough.

My stats in the Midway (Warships.todays database is going haywire again):

And probably my best game in her:

What are your thoughts?

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,131 posts
11,666 battles

Do you find you can make the Midway perform into the late game?

So many games, including top tier are decided in the first few mins by lack of any capping/pushing.

If a Hakuryu nukes your DDs early then the game will quite often spiral out of control.

[CSF]
Players
471 posts
4,701 battles

Do you find you can make the Midway perform into the late game?

So many games, including top tier are decided in the first few mins by lack of any capping/pushing.

If a Hakuryu nukes your DDs early then the game will quite often spiral out of control.

Stopping the Haku from doing that early game is your number one priority. That is what makes Midway challenging - you have to drag out the game for as long as you can, by stopping the Haku from ending it early. Of course there are matches, where you can't do anything, same as in any other ship.

Beta Tester
456 posts

This is an "imho": The biggest advantage Midway (and Essex) do have over the Hakuryu (and Taiho respectively) is the simple little thing that you can play them more aggressive with less fear because the planes are more durable and they simply do have more ( as stated by OP).

Players
494 posts
9,365 battles

Strike Midway is the way to go, 

there's enough aa at the high tiers that if your side stays in groups it can look after itself against the smaller squadrons of weaker jap planes, 

your single fighter is enough to hold his fighters off your strike package, 

start of the game is about supporting your team pushing into a cap using your bombers to go after dd's / cruisers also pushing for that cap and your tb's to go after a cruiser or battleships

longer term farm damage off bb's whilst spotting the dd's for your team

end game is to go after the enemy cv 

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
922 posts
11,316 battles

This is an "imho": The biggest advantage Midway (and Essex) do have over the Hakuryu (and Taiho respectively) is the simple little thing that you can play them more aggressive with less fear because the planes are more durable and they simply do have more ( as stated by OP).

Thats not really advisable as your plane cycle time in case they die is very long. Even with all the upgrades you wait over a minute for the planes to reload, a time where Haku launches and flies his whole wing across half the map.

The only thing midway is better than Haku is durability of the ship itself. I had entire Montana salvos bounce off my deck when they tried to snipe me on long ranges, dive bombers do no dmg at all, and so on. On regards of planes, versitility and dmg output Haku beats Midway in every aspect.

Beta Tester
456 posts

Of course you should not throw away whole squads :-) but sacrificing some planes don't hurt much. At least in the Taiho I think I wait close to a Minute when a squads is wiped so...propably not much difference there.

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
922 posts
11,316 battles

Of course you should not throw away whole squads :-) but sacrificing some planes don't hurt much. At least in the Taiho I think I wait close to a Minute when a squads is wiped so...propably not much difference there.

HakuTaiho readies and launches squads in half the time as Midway ...

[-BT-]
Players
496 posts
3,130 battles

Stopping the Haku from doing that early game is your number one priority. That is what makes Midway challenging - you have to drag out the game for as long as you can, by stopping the Haku from ending it early. Of course there are matches, where you can't do anything, same as in any other ship.

I rarely consider it worth it to sacrifice my fighters to strike but if it allows me to kill a DD then it's worth it. Midway can't really stop that but if your DDs are clever enough to not overextend like madmen when there's an ennemy Hakuryu yeah then Midway locks me very hard.

[CGER]
Players
25 posts
9,099 battles

I kill the dd with my haku in like 50% of my games. Works quite well and most dds cant evade 3 tb and the enemy cv is in most of the cases not at the right spot at the right time. Cant do much with a midway, since the bombs drops on dds rely on 70% rng.

[ITA_C]
Players
231 posts
6,718 battles
2 hours ago, _Agenor_ said:

Does any of you know what will happen with CV after these changes ???

this is an old post the changes described here have yet be implemented into game and if you now ask which is the better one from the two  it's the Midway cuz the flexibility and Alpha damage  ap bombers  give to her i play haku and 90% of the games i have a Midway as opponent  it's the most popular and effective one 

[BSW-W]
Players
919 posts
5,747 battles
6 godzin temu, Torped1ne napisał:

this is an old post the changes described here have yet be implemented into game and if you now ask which is the better one from the two  it's the Midway cuz the flexibility and Alpha damage  ap bombers  give to her i play haku and 90% of the games i have a Midway as opponent  it's the most popular and effective one 

You know what change get cv?

Sign in to follow this