Sign in to follow this  
Coke_Sniper

Mahan

14 comments in this topic

Players
23 posts
2,853 battles

Started to play dd not long ago (currently at mahan),had pretty decent results in farragut,but now at t7, im struggling really badly, guns seem to be wet noodle even against dds,have a real hard time contesting caps due to radar (dont know who came up with this idea anyway :/), im basicly dying at the start of the game. Should i just sail behind people and be smoke dispenser only?? :(

Players
1,091 posts
2,423 battles

I noticed that often you are more effective when shooting AP.

Cruisers who show too much side, shoot at the citadel. Cruisers who are angled, try to shoot bow / stern. Battleships who are slightly angled towards you, shoot AP at the bow or stern (least amount of armour, flattest surface). When a BB or CA/CL is going bow on or away from you, shoot AP at the superstructure.

If the damage is below 1400 per salvo, try HE. HE will do less damage and the fire chance is horrendous.

On top of all, generally best not to engage over 7km range. Since the SN DDs got buffed, try to stay away from them as well.

• Cool 1

[DUDES]
WoWs Wiki Team, WoWs Wiki Team
1,794 posts
15,308 battles

The USN destroyers are well suited for cap contest. But there is some preparation necessary: look up who you will face. This includes the direct opponents, the enemy DDs, and their support (especially mind those with radar). You also need to be aware of your limitations. The Mahan is one of the slowest USN destroyers and also one of the least stealthy. Do you have the torpedo upgrade? Do you have a captain with Concealment Expert. Those two will help you a lot.

Now to the cap situation itself. Keep track of your team as well. Are there cruisers willing to support you? If not: do not push unconditionally just for the sake of being a DD on the cap. If you are a lone ship, you will be sunk quickly. This is even more true for DDs. Take the least fair fight against the enemy: be that annoying enemy that wield down the overextending enemy DD, if you have the support. Or deny whole areas with the 9.2 km range on your torpedoes. Those help to slow down the enemy, maybe even the support near the cap and thus you have more room to grab it for your team.

Try to use all helpful information you can get before committing to an area. Use it to make a decision how you approach a cap or the enemy fleet. Being in a DD and a cap contesting DD does not mean you have to rush into a cap far ahead of your team at the start of the match.

• Cool 1

Players
56 posts
9,806 battles

Mahan is very good, but she struggles with T8+ destroyers. Benson and Fletcher are much more competitive, thanks to their concealment ie. Maybe you are too much aggressive during hard match makings, and you should begin more slowly as an assist / torpedo boat in the beginning of these matches.

[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Your guns are a lie.

Don't use them unless it's vs a close range DD, finishing off a low hp ship, troll firing to start a fire after your torps have flooded something.

You should primarily be trying to torp things.

Better to stay concealed than reveal yourself for the sake of 1k damage on a BB. 

• Cool 1

[OP-B]
Players
128 posts
20,129 battles

I'm with Negativvv

And just saying, You are US DD people expect that you have 2x5 launchers, and that suddenly appearing 3rd salvo catches people off guard every now and then, Specially if you havnt been spotted, and there is other US DD on your team.

Use guns only when you have island/smoke cover, or if you end up so close that you cant stealth away.

[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

I imagine a lot of the issues are the junk that are mid tier USN DDs as you pretty much need to use your guns since the torp ranges are trash.

Needs a bit of readjustment!

Players
435 posts
19 battles

I imagine a lot of the issues are the junk that are mid tier USN DDs as you pretty much need to use your guns since the torp ranges are trash.

Needs a bit of readjustment!

Ye Farragut is such junk :trollface:

http://wows-numbers.com/ship/4289607664,Farragut/?order=average_damage_dealt__desc#leaderboard

Don't listen to the noobs above, OP:P

Most of your damage will come from your guns, but not in the way Russian DDs do it, or the Blyska.

US DDs get their damage from their smokes. You look for a spot where you can smoke up and deal damage for the full duration of your smoke. These are your damage dealing periods. Torp when an opportunity arises but pace your gameplay around your smokes

[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Ye Farragut is such junk :trollface:

http://wows-numbers.com/ship/4289607664,Farragut/?order=average_damage_dealt__desc#leaderboard

Don't listen to the noobs above, OP:P

Most of your damage will come from your guns, but not in the way Russian DDs do it, or the Blyska.

US DDs get their damage from their smokes. You look for a spot where you can smoke up and deal damage for the full duration of your smoke. These are your damage dealing periods. Torp when an opportunity arises but pace your gameplay around your smokes

lol possibly :P

I play USN DD from a Ranked point of view and just transfer it to Random Battles.

There are probably just as effective Random tactics that work.

However little 127mm guns have issues chewing through anything more than light cruisers and they're not amazing at burning stuff either.

Players
401 posts
7,760 battles

Guns are bit wierd, at right range you can lob those shells on top of BB doing arround 1-2k per salvo and when it gets bit closer you are doing half. Find that sweet spot for range and use mainly HE, ap works but requires shorter range due ballistics and bounce angles. Torps were upgrade from farragut but very slow, so prediction plays bigger role than normal. It might feel that you just drop logs of your boat but just get used to it and exploit the 3 launchers to suprise ppl.

Consealment isnt anything special but workable, specially if you tag along with other DDs and support them. Its great ship up close vs DDs but beware those enemy torps.

[OP-B]
Players
128 posts
20,129 battles

I do agree with that too, that the main damage is coming from guns, thanks to the volume of fire that it has. But mahan has bad detection range, and for a DD it has rather large profile,

That's why I said "Use guns only when you have island/smoke cover, or if you end up so close that you cant stealth away."

Players
2,844 posts
14,993 battles

.. im basicly dying at the start of the game...

Sounds like a concealment issue; an area in which the Mahan has problems.

The Mahan can be played many ways, but for me I found some success in two general areas... long range torpedo harasser and/or close range brawler in smoke.  

Sign in to follow this