Sign in to follow this  
operationalpha

Saipan loadout change?

13 comments in this topic

Players
44 posts
9,641 battles

I want to ask if any other people are interesting in changing the saipan loadout? 

In particular to the 2/2/0 loadout, since most people combine the two squads of torpedo bombers together, wouldn't it be easier if they just change it to the like of Bogue's stock loadout? 1/1/0 with 6 planes per squad. 

That way, you only have one squads of fighters and torpedo bombers to counter the OP talk. 

Any suggestion? 

Players
1,648 posts
12,113 battles

I never thought I'd say this but Saipan is probably fine the way she is right now. Since the captain perk rework, Air Supremacy (+1 fighter, +1 TB) is only a lvl 4 skill so every tier 7 CV player should have it or get it fairly quickly. And with it, all T7 CVs can go against each other, except maybe Ranger which is quite situational due to the all-or-nothing loadouts and the (in my opinion) subpar and weak stock loadout. Saipan's greatest advantage was and is the aircrafts' cruise speed. Also, keep in mind she is a light carrier with few hangar reserves (still plenty considering the small squads, but definitely a smaller number overall) opposed to her T7 peers which are fleet carriers.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,404 posts
13,815 battles

Saipan is fine. One of her great advantages is that she actually gets 2 torp squads and is thus more flexible than other US CVs. Take that away and you have little left.

Also Hiryu with appropriate captain skills and upgrades usually wins against Saipan on higher levels of play.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,108 posts
11,635 battles

I want to ask if any other people are interesting in changing the saipan loadout? 

In particular to the 2/2/0 loadout, since most people combine the two squads of torpedo bombers together, wouldn't it be easier if they just change it to the like of Bogue's stock loadout? 1/1/0 with 6 planes per squad. 

That way, you only have one squads of fighters and torpedo bombers to counter the OP talk. 

Any suggestion? 

If it bothers you that much you can use the Saipan torp bombers as one, just select both and they can perform like a 6 plane unit :teethhappy:

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

3x2 is a narrower drop than 6x1, why would you ever want a single drop if it forces you to miss more (unless the intention is to nerf the ship)? Also, you always have the option to cross-drop DDs.

Players
44 posts
9,641 battles

all good points. But i just find it burdensome having to constantly control and adjust the torp planes and its drop since i used them together almost always. It would be nice to have the option to opt for a large single squads or small multiple squads. 

Players
44 posts
9,641 battles

Personally i think the best way to deal with CV loadout is a point based approach. Assign a set value for different types of planes and types of squad with a limit that each CV that can carry. This way you can balance the CV loadout more effectively and also introduce some flexibility to suit different play style. 

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
5,072 posts
9,792 battles

all good points. But i just find it burdensome having to constantly control and adjust the torp planes and its drop since i used them together almost always. It would be nice to have the option to opt for a large single squads or small multiple squads. 

At T7 you should be be comfortable with juggling 4 squads with. saipan is not aimed at T4 players. To get something really out of her you need to be confortable with manual Atacks. If your mirror is a strike Ranger you can sink her 2 out of 3 in one strike unless he has a pet providing AA cover.( be sure to use flooding flags CV canot detonate) 

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

I agree that it would be great if there were more options for CV loadouts or even a "free research" system as you describe. But we are unlikely to get that, and in the context of Saipan your argument comes across as just wanting it easier for yourself.

It's a strong ship, it already has a point and click "easy-mode" layout, while the TB setup allows more experienced players some options compared to restricting them to a single unwieldy squadron. It's not that hard to practice grouping them and the results are way better. You'll know when you get that juicy full 6-hit that is almost impossible with the normal US TB squad because no ship at that tier is long enough to eat all 6 torps from a spread that wide.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,108 posts
11,635 battles

Learn to micro each torp bomber. You'll be more effective... 

I used to double them up until I learned otherwise.

[GOLD]
Players
309 posts
5,618 battles

Rhe only change i would want is the original 2/3/0 set up it had on testing :playing: 

Players
44 posts
9,641 battles

I always prefer to micro each torp squads to max the dmg from flooding but usually after the first drop, enemy fighters will arrive and makes the second wave much harder. But with this 0.6.3 update where you can pull out fighters from dogfight, I am eager to try intentionally getting into a dogfight so my torp squads are free from attack. Then after the drop, i will just strafe my fighters out and since the saipan planes have faster speed, in theory enemy fighters will never catch me? 

Sign in to follow this