Server Maintenance - January 18, 6:00 CET (5:00 UTC) Read more... ×
Server Maintenance - January 18, 6:00 CET (5:00 UTC) Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
deathman16

Frame rate drops when enemy's on screen.

17 comments in this topic

Players
40 posts
1,095 battles

So start the match at 100 FPS, then when enemys begin popping up the frame rate dips down to around 40 ish. Anyone know how to fix this?, my GPU is only getting used by about 50%

My specs:

GTX1060 6GB

FX-8320 3.5ghz

8GB corsair vengance ram at 1600

xfx xxx 650W psu.

Win 7 64 bit.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,387 posts
13,800 battles

Check your temperatures and energy settings and see if there is anything overheating or throttling.

Players
40 posts
1,095 battles

Check your temperatures and energy settings and see if there is anything overheating or throttling.

GPU temp hovers around 40-50, up to a max of about 68

CPU temp doesnt go above 45.

my GPU usage only seems to hit about 50% when playing.

not sure how to check is something is throttling.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,387 posts
13,800 battles

Temps are normal, nothing out of the ordinary. 50% is definitely too low, though.

You could try disabling energy saving options in the Nvidia Control Panel. Maybe something isn't recognizing WoWs as a "stressing" application and thus doesn't power your GPU up to full levels. Be aware, though, that this will make your GPU always run at 100%, even if idling, meaning greater energy consumption overall.

Players
40 posts
1,095 battles

Temps are normal, nothing out of the ordinary. 50% is definitely too low, though.

You could try disabling energy saving options in the Nvidia Control Panel. Maybe something isn't recognizing WoWs as a "stressing" application and thus doesn't power your GPU up to full levels. Be aware, though, that this will make your GPU always run at 100%, even if idling, meaning greater energy consumption overall.

Weirldy enough, i have my performance mode on prefer maximum power. So it shouldnt be that - i made sure it runs like that.

[EYLIG]
Beta Tester
256 posts
15,851 battles

You don't need max power, but rather a stable clock count. So try disabling any form of dynamic overclocking, but also power saving options!

But if we're talking about just temporary drops for 1 sec or 2: That is sadly normal. WoWS can't really provide rock stable fps like say CoD/BF etc.

I'd just lock your fps to a lower max value. Additionally, (as always) you could also try and activate and double/quadruple effects cache in engine_config.xml

Look at those random frame drops of Streamers. 

Players
40 posts
1,095 battles

You don't need max power, but rather a stable clock count. So try disabling any form of dynamic overclocking, but also power saving options!

But if we're talking about just temporary drops for 1 sec or 2: That is sadly normal. WoWS can't really provide rock stable fps like say CoD/BF etc.

I'd just lock your fps to a lower max value. Additionally, (as always) you could also try and activate and double/quadruple effects cache in engine_config.xml

Look at those random frame drops of Streamers. 

Thats my issue, its not 1-2 seconds, it will last as long as combat is happening. So if a battle is 10 minutes the fps will dip to around 40 ish for aslong as it goes on - sometimes jumps back up to over 60.

I shouldnt have any kind of issues running the game, heck i can run ghost recon wildlands on max at 60 FPS. And such things like that. I just dont understand it.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,387 posts
13,800 battles

Weirldy enough, i have my performance mode on prefer maximum power. So it shouldnt be that - i made sure it runs like that.

Weird. Try it the other way around, maybe (remember to restart, even if it doesn't prompt you to). Your setup should be more than sufficient to run this game at max FPS.

Players
1,048 posts
20,181 battles

So start the match at 100 FPS, then when enemys begin popping up the frame rate dips down to around 40 ish. Anyone know how to fix this?, my GPU is only getting used by about 50%

My specs:

GTX1060 6GB

FX-8320 3.5ghz

xfx xxx 650W psu.

Win 7 64 bit.

It's kind of normal, youre Graphic card have to redraw more objects at once, that's one factor, but this game is very memory-heavy too and your card seems to work normally.

It also depends on how much stuff you got running in the background, with Win 7 it is not uncommon to experience physical memory leaks, although not as bad as with Windows 10, it can become an issue.

How much physical memory is allocated to the game matters a lot, regardless of the GPU, then paging space also matters a lot, so how much free space you can allocate to it is important too, you need to set your all system up for the game, from stock, windows Operating systems are not designed for playing on line at all and memory management is marginal at best.

One feature in Windows 7 allows you to use a USB removable as extra physical memory, i got an extra 2GB useable this way, but setting up the amount of memory your system can use for the game and paging space is the most important, what you describe is kind of typical of issues dues to that lack of settings/fine tuning, i experienced this kind of frame rate drop but only worse, since my system was a lot weaker than yours with only 2BG of 1333 RAM.

A GTX770 helped solve the issue a bit, but the difference was made by setting up Windows memory management and adding 2 GB of RAM plus the USB, the GPU will process what your memory will let through, only taking care of the graphics, it's not the source of your problems.

Check on your computer property how much Installed memory (RAM) appears and how much is available.

If it only says 8GB then it's all good but if it says less than 8 GB, your system doesn't recognise all the RAM you instaled.

If it says 8 BG but only 4 GB available, then your setting are from stock "secretary style" and your system only allows you to use 4 GB for the game, keeping half of it to run Windows apps, if you have a lot of background programmes running and little remaining storage space, you also have a paging space issue, (virtual memory), what the game needs before being able to use higher performance GPU is a lot of available RAM and paging space.

So kill all the background AP you don't need, give the game all the RAM it needs to run smoothly and the Operating system its nnecessary amount of Virtual Memory.

Edited by ThinderChief

Beta Tester
1,500 posts
4,666 battles

I've experienced similarish issues once (i5-4670K, GTX970, 24GB, game on 120 GB SSD) after I had the game on for a day and had many, many battles.

But since it seems to have been one time issue I really can't provide other advice than get more memory. 8GB seems to be rather low amount nowdays and could be contributing factor.

Also when GTX 9 series came out there was some issues due to how their memory allocation was set up, which caused performance drop aster certain amount of graphic memory was in use. But I honestly have not looked into the GTX 10 series at all so can't even guess if it is having similar inbuilt weakness.

Oh and I get steady, constant change between 58-62 FPS throughout the battle with max settings.

Players
1,048 posts
20,181 battles

I've experienced similarish issues once (i5-4670K, GTX970, 24GB, game on 120 GB SSD) after I had the game on for a day and had many, many battles.

But since it seems to have been one time issue I really can't provide other advice than get more memory. 8GB seems to be rather low amount nowdays and could be contributing factor.

Also when GTX 9 series came out there was some issues due to how their memory allocation was set up, which caused performance drop aster certain amount of graphic memory was in use. But I honestly have not looked into the GTX 10 series at all so can't even guess if it is having similar inbuilt weakness.

Oh and I get steady, constant change between 58-62 FPS throughout the battle with max settings.

I only have 4GB plus the USB and have a frame rate that keep the game smooth, <> 50/40 fps starting at around 80 fps with game graphic setting nearly all maxed out, to me 100 fps is way too high for a start, you don't need that but it's a question of personal choice, i dont think it shoulds be a target for the game.

One thing i noticed is that the game became a lot more memory hungry after the few last updates, before i could run it smoothly enough it was playable, but after the las 5' update it was impossible to run anything highert than t IV without a crash.

I spoke to Support who help me identify and sort the issue, my GPU wasn't that weak but i burned it trying to overclock, so i got this new MSI as replacement but it was the topics on the subject of memory management for Win 10 (i reverted to Win 7) that put me on track.

Windows setting doesn't allow you to use the totality of the physical memory for a start, it also limits the broadband maximum to less than 80%, with the same provider after setting all this stuff up i got an increase of 40mb/s in broadband alone, then memory made a difference too, i could tell the difference between before and after set up even after the upgrades.

Players
40 posts
1,095 battles

It's kind of normal, youre Graphic card have to redraw more objects at once, that's one factor, but this game is very memory-heavy too and your card seems to work normally.

It also depends on how much stuff you got running in the background, with Win 7 it is not uncommon to experience physical memory leaks, although not as bad as with Windows 10, it can become an issue.

How much physical memory is allocated to the game matters a lot, regardless of the GPU, then paging space also matters a lot, so how much free space you can allocate to it is important too, you need to set your all system up for the game, from stock, windows Operating systems are not designed for playing on line at all and memory management is marginal at best.

One feature in Windows 7 allows you to use a USB removable as extra physical memory, i got an extra 2GB useable this way, but setting up the amount of memory your system can use for the game and paging space is the most important, what you describe is kind of typical of issues dues to that lack of settings/fine tuning, i experienced this kind of frame rate drop but only worse, since my system was a lot weaker than yours with only 2BG of 1333 RAM.

A GTX770 helped solve the issue a bit, but the difference was made by setting up Windows memory management and adding 2 GB of RAM plus the USB, the GPU will process what your memory will let through, only taking care of the graphics, it's not the source of your problems.

Check on your computer property how much Installed memory (RAM) appears and how much is available.

If it only says 8GB then it's all good but if it says less than 8 GB, your system doesn't recognise all the RAM you instaled.

If it says 8 BG but only 4 GB available, then your setting are from stock "secretary style" and your system only allows you to use 4 GB for the game, keeping half of it to run Windows apps, if you have a lot of background programmes running and little remaining storage space, you also have a paging space issue, (virtual memory), what the game needs before being able to use higher performance GPU is a lot of available RAM and paging space.

So kill all the background AP you don't need, give the game all the RAM it needs to run smoothly and the Operating system its nnecessary amount of Virtual Memory.

So, after attempting to unpark my cpu cores in regedit "made no difference" i just did a system restore, from there i read what you said.

I have 8GB total ram at 1600 - these are my performance overview physical mem "total: 8141 cached: 1291 available: 5893 free: 4770"

Thats the physical RAM - i have a page file minimum set at 4GB and a maximum set at 8GB.

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
773 posts
7,411 battles

Are you running an ssd?

I increased ram and dropped in ssd. Performance on new computer then went back to what I'd expect from previous.

If you notice slow down as ships appear for the first time it may well be HDD/ssd load time.

And I'd agree, 8 GB ram is a too low for a full fledged gaming rig now.

Players
10 posts
1,872 battles

I used to have this exact same issue with my old CPU, an i5 2400. Since i've upgraded to an i7 7700 i don't have this issue anymore. With an 970 GTX that is.

From what i noticed, the game isn't that well build for multi core, it still depends a lot on the single core performance so to say.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

Players
1,048 posts
20,181 battles

So, after attempting to unpark my cpu cores in regedit "made no difference" i just did a system restore, from there i read what you said.

I have 8GB total ram at 1600 - these are my performance overview physical mem "total: 8141 cached: 1291 available: 5893 free: 4770"

Thats the physical RAM - i have a page file minimum set at 4GB and a maximum set at 8GB.

Tha's odd, but now we know that your system doesn't make use of all the RAM you have installed, even if people think 8BG is too little, you should not have this sort of issue for running this game on Windows 7 with 8 GB, your system behave like it uses half this amount of RAM, it should be able to run it smoothly with half what you have, the frame rate drop in normal in a way, especially with your in-game settings, but it can be improved.

Your performances overview comes from the Taks Manager, but what does your Computer Properties looks like?

I use one trick to boost game performance, using task manager when the game is running, (i window it when i.m in port to set this up then come back to full screen) i give it high priority instead of normal, normally once you allow 100% RAM use, in the Computer Properties it shouls only read: Installed Mempry (RAM): 8 GB Right now your settings still compartimentize your RAM use and i can't tell for which purpose.

There are more than one setting that prevent full use of RAM in Windows, without changing anything, you could check on them since you can use the registry editor.

Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,756 battles

My specs:

GTX1060 6GB

FX-8320 3.5ghz

xfx xxx 650W psu.

Win 7 64 bit.

Have you tried resetting the router? I've had similar issues with both WoT and WoWS and sometimes, I stress sometimes, it deals with the issue when I reset/reboot the router.
  • Cool 1

Beta Tester
506 posts
5,262 battles

One feature in Windows 7 allows you to use a USB removable as extra physical memory

would this be VRAM not Ram? still works the same but would be slower than ram but if it's just for trouble shooting great