Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Aotearas

Unified/Custom keybindings (for consumables) when?

17 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Players
7,298 posts
9,517 battles

So, since I just had a game in the Belfast and musclememory royally [edited] me over again as I accidentally pressed the wrong button I'd like to use that frustration and vent constructively:

As I had already pleaded the devs to consider back in this thread which resonated greatly with the players, when will Wargaming finally either unify the keybindings for consumables to avoid issues where consumables are bound to different keys on different ships, or allow players to rebind those keys to their own preferences?

This is the most basic control/UI 101. Can we please, PLEASE (with cherry on top and a flirtations wink from Dasha) get this utterly unnecessary problem solved?

Edited by RogDodgeUK
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to inappropriate content. RogDodgeUK
  • Cool 11

Players
4 posts
13,839 battles

While WG are at it could you fix the reseting custom keys as well, it makes life very difficult for us lefties

• Cool 1

[DREAD]
Players
453 posts
7,651 battles

And if they cant manage to make them all unified, at least let the players choose which keys they want for each boat.

[NED]
Players
4,193 posts
11,680 battles

My advice: go back to .3. There the game actually saves your key bindings.... One of the most silly, unimaginable bugs in this whole game. I like to use the arrow keys instead of the WASD. My personal preference. It was no problem, like 1.5 years ago, to save that to that bindings. But since then I need to change them every single frakking gamesession.... And this is the first game I'm having this issue with in my entire life.... (going back to commodore 64 with "press play on tape")

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,678 posts
5,566 battles

You'll always have a problem since lots of different ships have different variations of consumables. The only way is one key for each consumable. Currently there are 10 (if ive counted correctly) consumables, with the probability of more being added. Which leads to people complaining they dont want to press < for smoke and ] for radar

[SCRUB]
Players
7,298 posts
9,517 battles

You'll always have a problem since lots of different ships have different variations of consumables. The only way is one key for each consumable. Currently there are 10 (if ive counted correctly) consumables, with the probability of more being added. Which leads to people complaining they dont want to press < for smoke and ] for radar

Hardly.

Many consumables are mutually exclusive. That means many consumables can be tied to a shared keybinding without conflict (Defensive AA and Hydro for example, there isn't a single ship with access to both at the same time, other such consumables are the catapult launched aircraft (either fighter or spotter) and Surveillance Radar). Other consumables like the damage repair party (heal) aren't mutually exclusive with anything so they can have their own dedicated keybinding.

First step to minimize keybinding conflicts would be to schematically organize the keybinding of consumables and their position in the UI bar to visually represent that. Just like we have the damage control party always in first place and always bound to the "R" key.

And lastly, even if making a conflict free keybinding chart were unfeasible, offering players the chance to rebind their keybindings or just shuffling around the consumable order to their own preferences can go a long way in preventing any issues.

[DREAD]
Players
453 posts
7,651 battles

offering players the chance to rebind their keybindings or just shuffling around the consumable order to their own preferences can go a long way in preventing any issues.

This is all that is required. 

I can remember games from many years ago where this was possible. It cannot be so hard to implement, surely

[-TXG-]
Players
2,368 posts

I like to use the arrow keys instead of the WASD. My personal preference. It was no problem, like 1.5 years ago, to save that to that bindings. But since then I need to change them every single frakking gamesession.... 

I am confused by this one Ferry......I also use the arrow keys being a lefty and never had to reset them. 

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,678 posts
5,566 battles

Hardly.

Many consumables are mutually exclusive. That means many consumables can be tied to a shared keybinding without conflict (Defensive AA and Hydro for example, there isn't a single ship with access to both at the same time, other such consumables are the catapult launched aircraft (either fighter or spotter) and Surveillance Radar). Other consumables like the damage repair party (heal) aren't mutually exclusive with anything so they can have their own dedicated keybinding.

First step to minimize keybinding conflicts would be to schematically organize the keybinding of consumables and their position in the UI bar to visually represent that. Just like we have the damage control party always in first place and always bound to the "R" key.

And lastly, even if making a conflict free keybinding chart were unfeasible, offering players the chance to rebind their keybindings or just shuffling around the consumable order to their own preferences can go a long way in preventing any issues.

If you sit and work out all the conflicts there are a lot. However a lot of these wont apply to many people - if you don't own the perth for example it doesnt matter that she has smoke and spotter plane making those two not mutually exclusive. Similarly if you dont own the belfast/black it doesnt matter about smoke and radar being on the same key.

Players
151 posts
9,182 battles

Curiously the game remembers some of my reconfigured keys. But I still have to re-bind five of them.

Worldwide estimation of lefties is somewhere between 10-13%. So it's probably not a priority for WG any time soon.

Out of curiosity. If you're using cursor keys for direction and movment. What keys do you use for ammo and consumables selection?

[NED]
Players
4,193 posts
11,680 battles

I am confused by this one Ferry......I also use the arrow keys being a lefty and never had to reset them. 

Granted, since about 4 or 5 patches ago it is saving the up and down keys. But not the left and right ones. I'm right handed but still like it better that way. Point is: I don't get it why the prefs aren't saved?!

[-TXG-]
Players
2,368 posts

Granted, since about 4 or 5 patches ago it is saving the up and down keys. But not the left and right ones. I'm right handed but still like it better that way. Point is: I don't get it why the prefs aren't saved?!

Very strange...never had a problem myself, I have a 12 button razor mouse (left hand version) as well for repair and shell switch etc, and no problems with losing function there either.

On a side note, had a few games of tanks last night for the first time for ages and was in a right mess trying to fix tracks and put out fires etc due to not remembering the keyboard keys allocated by me. :ohmy:

[SCRUB]
Players
7,298 posts
9,517 battles

Mkay ... so "screwed over" gets moderated due to inappropriate content now?

What? Can someone tell me when that word became so bad that it has to be censored?

Gee, nevermind that, the entire thread was worked over with a chainsaw. What the hell happened here?

Edited by Aotearas

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,678 posts
5,566 battles

Mkay ... so "screwed over" gets moderated due to inappropriate content now?

What? Can someone tell me when that word became so bad that it has to be censored?

Gee, nevermind that, the entire thread was worked over with a chainsaw. What the hell happened here?

Still not as bad as armoured warfare's automatic filter which managed to take the phase "the sheridan" which is common enough since sheridan is one of the tanks and censor it to t** ***ridan

[SCRUB]
Players
7,298 posts
9,517 battles

Still not as bad as armoured warfare's automatic filter which managed to take the phase "the sheridan" which is common enough since sheridan is one of the tanks and censor it to t** ***ridan

Heshe? He She?

Someone gotta tell me in what language that might be an insult. Curiousity demands its due!

Players
3,041 posts
3,645 battles

Heshe? He She?

Someone gotta tell me in what language that might be an insult. Curiousity demands its due!

lawl, heshe is an insult people used in my f*ckin primary school, and this is before ANY of us knew what transgender was lol

Sign in to follow this