Sign in to follow this  
MoveZig

All-bomber loadouts

39 comments in this topic

[BONI]
Players
1,090 posts
9,619 battles

Are these viable in pvp? Any tips on how to play well with them? Bogue and Independence specifically.

[POMF]
Weekend Tester
2,271 posts
7,592 battles

Are these viable in pvp? Any tips on how to play well with them? Bogue and Independence specifically.

Yes.

1 Sell CV

2 Buy normal ship

3 Enjoy the game

4 Profit?

If you really want to grind us cv you could at least run fighters to support your team so they can play their game, especially ships with weak AA. If you can't run fighters properly(that just require to be aware of enemy planes and using LMB) then you probably not be good support for the team anyway with strike setup doing terrible manual drops or doing even worse auto drops(judging by your 20k dmg 0.40frags Ryujo).

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,869 posts
14,215 battles

Stick with stock loadouts on both. 1/1/0 Bogue is arguably one of the most powerful CV decks you can play right now. The extra bomber on the Independence is not worth giving up your fighter for. DBs in general are rather worthless on USN CVs until T8 where you get the 1000lb bombs that actually do decent damage.

Haven't played Ranger yet, but was planning on sticking with 1/1/1 with her. I'd switch to strike starting from Lexington.

Never, EVER start playing AS. It's the most worthless thing you can ever do in this game.

EDIT: I retract my statement about 1/1/0 Bogue being powerful with the recent removal of manual drop at her tier. I'd however still continue to recommend it as the other two loadouts are still inferior in terms of utility.

Edited by El2aZeR
  • Cool 2

[POMF]
Weekend Tester
2,271 posts
7,592 battles

Never, EVER start playing AS. It's the most worthless thing you can ever do in this game.

Most worthless advice ever. I would rather have cv with fighters in my team than strike setup.

Edited by Geralt_z_Rivii365

[BONI]
Players
1,090 posts
9,619 battles

Yes.

1 Sell CV

2 Buy normal ship

3 Enjoy the game

4 Profit?

If you really want to grind us cv you could at least run fighters to support your team so they can play their game, especially ships with weak AA. If you can't run fighters properly(that just require to be aware of enemy planes and using LMB) then you probably not be good support for the team anyway with strike setup doing terrible manual drops or doing even worse auto drops(judging by your 20k dmg 0.40frags Ryujo).

I've only played Ryujo AS, but it turns out I hate strafing with fighters, I didn't even know you could until halfway through Ryujo. So I'm looking into strike loadouts.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,869 posts
14,215 battles

Most worthless advice ever. I would rather have cv with fighters in my team than strike setup.

I mean, I'd personally prefer it if more people would play AS. It'd give me a far easier time when playing CVs. Still doesn't mean I'd advice someone to do it, though.

Let me give you a quick rundown as to why USN AS is worthless af:

- they cannot scout. The moment they do so they're either not in the position to cover their team OR they give up on what little damage they can do and let their scouts get intercepted in the process

- they cannot deal damage as they lack the potential to do so and will pretty much always get intercepted

- they cannot cover the entire team, the moment they split their fighters they're giving up air superiority

- they cannot cover their own strikes and/or scouts, granting the enemy CV easy plane kills. The moment they attempt to do so is a free ticket for the enemy CV to get a strike through WHILE losing air superiority in the process

- they have already failed if their enemy gets a single strike through, as the enemy CV will then have had more influence on the battle than they will ever have the entire game

- they have likewise failed if they lose air superiority even just once, as this means that the enemy has free reign and can do whatever they want for a substantial amount of time

I can go on if you want to.

I find it far easier to outplay and get Clear Sky against AS CVs than against strike ones. AS has a hilarious amount of counters, meanwhile the only way AS can counter you is if you're stupid.

• Cool 1

[-BT-]
Players
496 posts
3,130 battles

This is because you have absolutely no clue about the CV vs CV dynamic and why fighter loadouts as they currently are sucks with most CVs at least in random. So next time you're calling an experienced player's advice "worthless" please at least ensure you know what you're talking about.

To the OP :

Full strike loadout are kinda selfish as you don't cover your allies, so you're beting on the fact that you're going to do more than the ennemy CV despite not being able to mitigate his efficiency in any way. Played this loadout on Bogue and Independance and it worked out for me but by the time I already had quite a number of games with IJN CVs so I had experience on my side. If you're feeling confident and you're feeling you often outbrain the ennemy CV you can go for strike loadouts and be good with it, but it'll never be the competitive choice and if you see you're not able to deal high damages (80k+) consistently then go back to a balanced loadout that'll help you to learn the ropes.

Edited by Cadelanne
  • Cool 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,238 posts
11,727 battles

USN is worst of all worlds for noobs. 

Balanced lacks coverage if you're still learning.

Strike is hard vs any player who can use his fighters.

AS is just fail as one good enemy torp run means your 20 mins hard work is utterly wasted.

[BONI]
Players
1,090 posts
9,619 battles

USN is worst of all worlds for noobs.

Otoh you don't have to cross-torp, there's less micro and lack of Air Supermacy doesn't hurt as much.

Alpha Tester, Players
5,157 posts

I mean, I'd personally prefer it if more people would play AS. It'd give me a far easier time when playing CVs. Still doesn't mean I'd advice someone to do it, though.

Let me give you a quick rundown as to why USN AS is worthless af:

- they cannot scout. The moment they do so they're either not in the position to cover their team OR they give up on what little damage they can do and let their scouts get intercepted in the process

- they cannot deal damage as they lack the potential to do so and will pretty much always get intercepted

- they cannot cover the entire team, the moment they split their fighters they're giving up air superiority

- they cannot cover their own strikes and/or scouts, granting the enemy CV easy plane kills. The moment they attempt to do so is a free ticket for the enemy CV to get a strike through WHILE losing air superiority in the process

- they have already failed if their enemy gets a single strike through, as the enemy CV will then have had more influence on the battle than they will ever have the entire game

- they have likewise failed if they lose air superiority even just once, as this means that the enemy has free reign and can do whatever they want for a substantial amount of time

I can go on if you want to.

I find it far easier to outplay and get Clear Sky against AS CVs than against strike ones. AS has a hilarious amount of counters, meanwhile the only way AS can counter you is if you're stupid.

well as you such pro cv player , hope to face you on my cv ^^

• Cool 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,238 posts
11,727 battles

Otoh you don't have to cross-torp, there's less micro and lack of Air Supermacy doesn't hurt as much.

True, it's easier to micro a max of 3/4 squadrons and the CV at the lower tiers. 

Air Supremacy is available for all these days with the captain changes.

I don't think I ever truly cross drop in IJN CVs anymore, i stagger the drops and it seems to work ok.

[POMF]
Weekend Tester
2,271 posts
7,592 battles

This is because you have absolutely no clue about the CV vs CV dynamic and why fighter loadouts as they currently are sucks with most CVs at least in random. So next time you're calling an experienced player's advice "worthless" please at least ensure you know what you're talking about.

I play this game for fun. I don't give a **** about stats. Playing AS is more fun to see air battles and that's all that matters to me. Ships can play their own meanwhile. People like you would agree that team killing is good as long as experienced player would said that so yeah...

Beta Tester
652 posts
4,387 battles

I play this game for fun. I don't give a **** about stats. Playing AS is more fun to see air battles and that's all that matters to me. Ships can play their own meanwhile. People like you would agree that team killing is good as long as experienced player would said that so yeah...

Hmm, I was kinda neutral on this debate until you posted that tbh. Although I agree that fun is important, fun must not come at the cost of other players, on your team atleast. At the lower tiers? Fine, only play those for fun anyways, but at the higher tiers, I think you should have some competitive feelings? Just because you want to see pew-pew dogfights, does not mean your team will have fun. In fact, you said: "Ships can play their own meanwhile". I do not think any ship can play like they would like to play if their high tier CV is making a mess and looking at Pew Pew dogfights. The fact that you are even LOOKING at those dogfights means that you took your eyes off 'the ball' for too long. When the new Alt Escape button comes in 6.3, maybe you will need to pay attention again, but atm. Dogfights (clicking on the enemy squad) are boring as hell, and you already know which side is going to win from the moment they are engaged.

Players
1,662 posts
12,265 battles

Just adding some thoughts about T7 Ranger because it came up.

I tried her stock like Independence, and I utterly failed in the beginning. Since I played Independence with AS deck for a long time (bad decision but we all started as noobs), I knew about that weakness and played the strike deck. Worked pretty well and the setup is a good practice for Lexington. As soon as you have the B-hull you don't really care about your planes anymore. The hangar is just so damn huge compared to all her predecessors. With the strike deck you can outplay a balanced Hiryu (average player :) you still struggle if a skilled enemy can read you) without too much trouble and snipe her down. Saipan is a different story. I think both Saipan decks are hard counters to strike Ranger simply due to the fighters' cruise speed. I never managed to overcome a Saipan with a strike deck.

On Bogue and Independence, however, stick to the stock decks as already explained above.

[-BT-]
Players
496 posts
3,130 battles

Oh yeah, the good ol' "I play for fun you scrub" argument. You sure don't care about competitivness, that's why you answered to someone asking if strike setup is competitive, with so much assumption that you were even looking condescending. About a topic you now claim not knowing anything about. Once again, think before posting, you're only digging deeper.

And for the second part, experienced players can usually bring more arguments than "I play for fun lololol not even caring not even caring"; hence why people tend to listen to them.

Edited by Cadelanne

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,869 posts
14,215 battles

Playing AS is more fun to see air battles and that's all that matters to me. Ships can play their own meanwhile. People like you would agree that team killing is good as long as experienced player would said that so yeah...

If your idea of "fun" is to get stomped by every competent CV player out there and have exactly 0 influence on the game, sure, be my guest. I certainly have no objections to another potential easy opponent out there. :trollface:

• Cool 2

Players
764 posts
6,839 battles

what US CV's need is a stock loadout with the same number of squads as the upgraded loadout.  losing a squad on the stock loadout hurts a lot more than it does on an IJN CV

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,238 posts
11,727 battles

Just adding some thoughts about T7 Ranger because it came up.

I tried her stock like Independence, and I utterly failed in the beginning. Since I played Independence with AS deck for a long time (bad decision but we all started as noobs), I knew about that weakness and played the strike deck. Worked pretty well and the setup is a good practice for Lexington. As soon as you have the B-hull you don't really care about your planes anymore. The hangar is just so damn huge compared to all her predecessors. With the strike deck you can outplay a balanced Hiryu (average player :) you still struggle if a skilled enemy can read you) without too much trouble and snipe her down. Saipan is a different story. I think both Saipan decks are hard counters to strike Ranger simply due to the fighters' cruise speed. I never managed to overcome a Saipan with a strike deck.

On Bogue and Independence, however, stick to the stock decks as already explained above.

I've only had one game in my Ranger so far and I'm using the stock layout. Strike CV scares me as I hate being sniped and want to give at least some air cover.

Ranger reserves are refreshing coming from the Indie. Bigger issue is the arming time as the squadrons are so big.

[IBULL]
Beta Tester
225 posts

Strike load outs minimal Fts.  Play for the team as the team [plays to support a CV..........nix.....nada...zilch.

[OGHF]
Players
634 posts
11,484 battles

Played a game last night in a T5 BB, we had 2 Bogue in our team, both did not have fighters, when we questioned them about having no fighters as where getting torped and bombed to death while there fighters tore into our CV's torpedo and bombers all they said was that we should do one as CV's in this tier did not have fighters!!!!! Wtf???, you can imagine what was then said to them in chat regarding team play and there abilty !!! Oh, and just to rub it in we lost, no suprise there.:(

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,238 posts
11,727 battles

I think Strike is probably viable with Ranger as you start to get into games where almost everyone has decent AA. I really wouldn't go Strike at any tiers lower.

I just don't want to get sniped out by a Hiryu player however which is why I still play 1/1/1!

[CI_I]
Players
6 posts
4,230 battles

I think Strike is probably viable with Ranger as you start to get into games where almost everyone has decent AA. I really wouldn't go Strike at any tiers lower.

I just don't want to get sniped out by a Hiryu player however which is why I still play 1/1/1!

Eluding enemy snipes is not that hard as it looks. You just need to be moving, if you dont see enemy planes on the map for long time. When he strikes use manual priority atack (usually against torp bombers) and turn against torpedo bombers to make him circle around your ship. After he drops all bombers (or if you think they are far enough) repair floodings/fires.

I can usually survive drop with more than half hp - which means, that the enemy needs to waste almost half of the game to do any meaningful damage. Of course there is always possibility of meeting someone better or luckier than you are and face perfect drops. But if you move, turn against torps and dont repair prematurely, you should survive at least one attack.

And you know - you cannot master something you don't practice ...

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,869 posts
14,215 battles

-snip-

Actually if you play strike Ranger and enemy Hiryu wants you dead, you're dead.

How? Simple, really. Go with torp bombers first, force flooding and damcon, then burn him to death. Ranger is gonna die unless RNGesus intervenes. It's the most basic sniping strategy.

Question still remains as to why Hiryu should even attempt a snipe early on, though. After all, you're effectively cutting your own income by making yourself unable to shoot down enemy planes.

[HOME]
[HOME]
Weekend Tester
964 posts
9,555 battles

Interesting premise, lets see where you will be going with this...

Oh right, one of those. Argument immediately invalidated then.

With games in USN CV limited to 180 stat padding in Langley and 5 games in Bogue. I see....

[POMF]
Weekend Tester
2,271 posts
7,592 battles

Interesting premise, lets see where you will be going with this...

Oh right, one of those. Argument immediately invalidated then.

With games in USN CV limited to 180 stat padding in Langley and 5 games in Bogue. I see....

Bro I was playing AS Hiryu with 3 fighters too(because I had fun playing that way) and still doing relatively well with 57%. Langley is(was before 0.6.3) good ship so not my fault I was doing so well in it. Some people can play full strike deck and they still won't be able to do well(especially when they autodrop) because not everyone is good at games. Again not their fault. So when they play AS It won't change much. You have 11 other players that SHOULD do something like shooting at dds you spot or push when you stop enemy cv form attacking your team. Again If someone is doing bad with AS that player won't do better with full strike when he have to pick target wisely and eliminate it(not to mention when he have to cotrol both fighters and bombers like on ijn cvs. Now for experienced players It sure may be better to have strike deck because they know how to use it well but most players are not experienced looking at average ship stats on the server so there you go.

Sign in to follow this