You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Kruzenstern

Unfavorable MM Poll

Is there unfavorable MM  

76 members have voted

1. 1. At which tier, if any, do you feel you get unfavorable MM (too much bottom tier, to rarely top tier)?

• Tier 5
    • Tier 6
    • Tier 7
    • Tier 8
    • I don't get unfavorable MM
  2. 2. At which tier does this have a significant negative effect on your gaming experience?

• Tier 5
    • Tier 6
    • Tier 7
    • Tier 8
    • It has no negative effect on my gaming experience
    • I don't get unfavorable MM in the first place.

21 comments in this topic

[MIMI]
Beta Tester
723 posts
2,861 battles

Just a quick poll to see if the MM at certain tiers really is a problem that WG needs to look into by forumites opinion.

I only included those tiers that still get into three MM levels, obviously tiers 1,2,3,4,9 and 10 have no such problems.

And yes, you can click all answers on both Questions because the poll thing doesn't allow conditionals. Please refrain from trolling the poll unless you absolutely have to,

[ALONE]
Players
1,351 posts
10,844 battles

Being -2 tier is problematic independently of the tier - it depends rather on the ship class, and some particular ships are more/less hopeless as the lowest tier, than others.

Generally DD have less problems, and cruisers the most. But for example Belfast can manage in T9 game quite well, Kutuzov in T10 is also fine. 

Battleships scale reasonably, but for example Colorado put against T9 battleships is a nightmare. Etc etc. 

Generally +/-2 matchmaking should be changed to +/-1 for all tiers (not only T1-T4 and CV), with option "allow me to be -2 tier" for those who have a good ship, have the skill and "prefer more variety".

Players
383 posts
10,886 battles

Often times I hear people complain about T6 being no fun due to MM. But honestly what's wrong with being in a T7 match in let's say a Warspite? Doesn't sound bad to me and 5, 6, 7 matches are far from being uncommon. T5 and T8 are where things are really problematic IMO.

• Cool 1

[ALONE]
Players
1,351 posts
10,844 battles

Often times I hear people complain about T6 being no fun due to MM. But honestly what's wrong with being in a T7 match in let's say a Warspite? Doesn't sound bad to me and 5, 6, 7 matches are far from being uncommon. T5 and T8 are where things are really problematic IMO.

Warspite in T7? -1 tier + good ship = perfectly OK. The problems start in T8.

Players
383 posts
10,886 battles

Warspite in T7? -1 tier + good ship = perfectly OK. The problems start in T8.

Exactly. But since T7 is what you currently face when playing T6 I don't get what the fuzz is all about. Playing Tier 6 isn't uncomfortable at all right now.

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles

You are an ace player. You are in the best clan in the game. :honoring:

I pointed the following point out to one of you clan mates recently, and he was gracious enough to acknowledge it.

You don't see the problem because you are such a good player. Try to see it from the point of view of an average player in being uptiered so often makes for a frustrating experience and hard work.

The problem is that you are bottom tier far far more than you are top tier. The balance of fun/work is wrong.

Players
748 posts
11,447 battles

Well, I usually dont play anything lower than tier 6, and its Fuso, an amazing ship in wich I dont feel useless against tier 8 so I can not really talk about tiers 5 and 6.

Tier 7 only playing Atlanta and Gneisenau. Gneisenau feels rather weak against higher tiers due to bad dispersion and being unable to push bow on like Bismarck, but the AAA, just took 14 planes down of 1 enemy strike, TAIHO planes, 2 tiers more, working as intented I guess, Atlanta... well, farmed this morning an Iowa and an Izumo in a game 100k dmg on them, she scalates tiers pretty well, and against tier 7- BBs its just brutal :trollface: And im getting a totally balanced Flint :teethhappy:

On tier 8+ I dont see any problem, you get uptiered often but its not a big deal, Lexington can struggle a bit in a tier X game with Des Moines, Montanas, Minotaurs etc... But dropping 21k lbs of bombs on Yamato for 40k+ damage and 4 fires.

But also im an above average player and almost always playing tiers 8-9 so my opinion will not reflect the reality.

Beta Tester
652 posts
4,362 battles

There is however a flaw in this poll: The players that answer it were most likely drawn to the post BECAUSE of MM, otherwise the title would (usually) not convince them into clicking on it. Yes, I know alot of us just click on most topics, but my point is that the amount of people that experience bad MM will most likely be inflated in this poll.

Does this influence the poll's reliability? Yes,

Does it matter? Nah :)

[_VI_]
Beta Tester
679 posts
1,753 battles

Tier 8 is an utterly awful experience. It's bearable in a battleship or a destroyer, but being dumped in a T10 match in a cruiser is worse than an Ed Sheeran concert!

• Cool 2

Players
482 posts
7,639 battles

I used to love My murmansk but against T7 is awfull. I can work with a Kongo in T7 or or one of any T5 DD in a T7 match but in a cruiser it's just stupid

Players
482 posts
7,639 battles

I used to hate +/-2T MM but now that i'm more experienced I love it. But T5 and T8 MM needs some work, and may cruisers IMO need some kind of safer MM

[HOME]
Players
1,682 posts
9,146 battles

There are some cruisers I sold or don't take out anymore, even though I quite like them (furutaka, konigsberg, hipper, marblehead)

Though it's less the matchmaker's fault, than it being a bb overpopulation problem.

Players
383 posts
10,886 battles

Snip

While I can't recall the name of the effect, I do know it's definitely a thing. My brother, as an expert in his field, is currently trying to get me into CS, but fails to explain even the most basic things, simply because he doesn't know how exactly he does them himself. Funny isn't it?

This hasn't a lot to do with this situation though. I wasn't implying that fighting T8 in a Warspite is fun, I was implying that it rarely happens at the moment. Reason being that all the T8s you could potentially face are busy getting clubbed by TX themselves.

PS: OM =/= OMNI :honoring:

• Cool 1

Players
136 posts
2,118 battles

For me the tiers that hurt the most at tiers 5 and 8. However, I find my Amagi to be fine. It's just cruisers that I've struggled with at those tiers. I skipped the Omaha recently just to get Cleveland, since going against tier 7s just meant death in that ship. 

• Cool 1

Weekend Tester
1,674 posts
10,278 battles

Imho there are various shades of down-tier MM which are rarely discussed.

It seems to me that a lot of people here on forums (and in the game), as soon as they see even one ship 2 tiers above them, already start melting mentally and throwing away the match.

Then of course follows the forum whine phase with countless useless OMG MM threads.

So lets assume you play a T6. MM will put you in quite various matches:

1. T6 and T5 ships: The " super easy" MM

2. T5+T6+T7 ships: Still decent MM. Can consist of various "sub-shades": Majority of T5 + very few T6+T7 (the easy MM). Even if you are the only T6 in a T7 match, you are still quite capable to perform.

3. T6+T7+T8 ships: The "moderately easy" variants are when you have say 2-3 T7 and/or 2-3 T8 since there is still more than half the team in T6. Hence the only "tough" MM variants are when there is a large majority of ships in T8

It rather rarely happens to me that I am say T6 and there are like 8 or more T8s. In such cases, in order to contribute, you have to adjust a bit your playstyle and you will be rewarded by XP&credit gains quite above what you would otherwise get with a more favorable MM.

So there is a clear positive risk&reward relationship when you have those "tough" MM matches.

Not to mention that if MM was always the same tier or +-1 tiers, matches would definitely be less diverse hence more boring after some time (being the main reason why I stopped playing low tiers).

Of course I fully understand that it is much easier and popular here to spew all those rather witless posts of "OMG MM" and "WTF WG", than to actually pay attention to the entire tier composition in a match, and see how many matches actually have an "unfavorable" MM for a player.

Finally, even for average or below average players, the above applies (i.e. rather rare "tough" MM matches as per my above definition), and the main issue is that often seen "looser mentality" as evidenced by all those "OMG bottom tier its lost..." or "OMG again in T8 match I quit..." comments we all see so much at the start of the match.

All in all, most of MM problems are imho in the heads of players and have very little to do with the actual MM.

Reminds me a lot about all those "discussions" on how and why BBs cannot tank/push...

[H_FAN]
Players
1,943 posts
22,590 battles

I voted 5,6, 8 thats because they are more punished, but that is more due to the fact that the protected MM makes them top tier too Little. It is also ship dependent.

And it is a huge difference if it is a T6 dominated T7 match with maybe 1 or 2 T7 when you play Kamikaze or König or if you play Marblehead (short range) or T22 (hate it) in a T7dominated T7 match where you are the 12th unfortunate player.

It is more the fact that you seldom dominates the playing field compared to when you struggle. I would prefer a even +/-1 MM or that when you are T5 only sees max 1 or 2 T7.

T8 is no fun when you play Mogami in a T10 battle with 5 T10 BBs but if you play Kagero it may be an interesting challenge.

So for me it is more the "unequalness" than anything else. nevertheless despite this I play T5 T6 a lot but some ships I have more or less quitted playing after grind. It is also some training to adapt your playstyle in the adverse realms of uptiering, knowing your limits so to speak.

But I realize that we must protect the lower tiers, is this the best way of doing it at the moment? Well what I think should be done maybe can not be done, but in peak playing hours it would be nice if WG could switch on a MM +/- 1 in all tiers.

Players
3 posts
6,810 battles

I had this same poll asking what everybody thought on the 25 March and it up to 3 pages long with posts and it was shut down by Moderator RogDodgeUK, I don't think they like it when we complain about something they don't want us to talk about.

[OSC]
Players
2,731 posts
10,263 battles

t5 and t8 are the worst for me...
I am/was currently grinding few low tier ships, and t5 in t7 (even t6) matchmaking is quite painful. Yes you can do good, yes you can have a profitable game, but its more of a hard work then fun. What am I supposed to do in a 13km range (got buffed a bit yesterday) Furutaka when I'm facing Nagato? Nagato <13km means you will loose half of your HP even if he misses you, just from the water splashing your ship...

Some ships can be quite good (Minekaze can do good against t7 lets say, since she can still spot and torp), but most of them are painful.

But I'm bothered the most by the t8 MM.

Most of my ships are at t8, and for me, that tier is the most enjoyable and more or less most balanced in the current state of the game. Also, on that tier there are the most ships I really like in the game. I love Amagi, I love Benson, I didn't get to Shokaku yet, but I will eventually, and I think Shokaku is a great ship, Ncal is great ship, Kiev is a great ship, heck, even the new Ognevoi is a pain since she has nice torps... Chappy is there, Atago is there, Bismarck... A lot of great and iconic ships are there. BUT, in 9/10 games, you are thrown in a t10 game, and its just frustrating. Every time I bring out my Amagi, and I end up against t10, I'm just like "Why the heck, didn't I bring out my Yamato..."
I'm not the guy that is crying about seeing higher tier ships, and I can usually give them a run for their money, but playing t8, and getting matched against t10s 10 time in a row simply becomes annoying too fast.
Tl;dr: Although I'm enjoying t8s the most, I'm not playing them all that much because in 90% of games I'm up against t10s...

[NED]
Players
4,209 posts
11,709 battles

I've seen this discussion so many times. Maybe I'm being the only 1. But I don't mind being out tiered... I think mm is regarding this issue working well. I see the tiers even distributed on both sides. Being bottom tier forces me to adapt and play more support role. All the dmg done on higher tiers gives extra income. So what's the problem?

[SQRL]
Players
95 posts
10,717 battles

I've been playing tier 9 & 10 mostly over the last couple of months, but I've started grinding the Russian DDs over the last week (fletcher & gearing being not so much fun now!) - and tier 8 is a lot worse than I remember in the Benson. Feels like 80% bottom tier. I play ok, and the Kiev is a great ship, but my win rates sucks big time.

[-SBF-]
Alpha Tester
665 posts
8,053 battles

And the point of this thread would be what exactly?

Biased first hand perspective is biased?

Pass...