Server Downtime 21/02 04:00 UTC Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Hulkovius_Rex

Bismarck

18 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Players
7,556 posts
9,775 battles

Well, she has lower caliber shells than equally tiered BBs (380mm vs 406/410mm) lower shell weight and comparable to lower Krupp value so yeah, she has a bit less penetration overall.

Players
1,459 posts
15,115 battles

Do you shoot at broadsides? And do you hit the waterline? And do you shoot non-German BBs? Because those can only be citadeled from range.

Players
17 posts
4,251 battles

Do you shoot at broadsides? And do you hit the waterline? And do you shoot non-German BBs? Because those can only be citadeled from range.

Yes, this is what I am talking about specifically, a flat broadside NC for example. yea I aim above the belt armour mostly, it gives results with maybe 10-20K damage per salvo, but no citadels.

Non-german BBs are hard to citadel from close range?

Edited by Hulkovius_Rex

[SCRUB]
Players
7,556 posts
9,775 battles

Depends on the ship. Amagi for example has turtleback armour and becomes nearly impossible to citadel at very close ranges. North Carolina has her citadel at waterline level so if you aim above the waterline and the range isn't long enough to have your shell arc down, then you won't hit the citadel. An Iowa on the otherhand has her citadel well above waterline so aiming slightly above it can still get you citadel hits (though that seems to be changed soon™).

I suggest browsing the tech tree and checking the armour viewer. It will tell you where you need to aim to get those juicy citadel penetrations.

Players
17 posts
4,251 battles

Depends on the ship. Amagi for example has turtleback armour and becomes nearly impossible to citadel at very close ranges. North Carolina has her citadel at waterline level so if you aim above the waterline and the range isn't long enough to have your shell arc down, then you won't hit the citadel. An Iowa on the otherhand has her citadel well above waterline so aiming slightly above it can still get you citadel hits (though that seems to be changed soon™).

I suggest browsing the tech tree and checking the armour viewer. It will tell you where you need to aim to get those juicy citadel penetrations.

Alright, will do. thanks

Players
1,459 posts
15,115 battles

Yes, this is what I am talking about specifically, a flat broadside NC for example. yea I aim above the belt armour mostly, it gives results with maybe 10-20K damage per salvo, but no citadels.

Sorry for that unclear sentence. German BBs have turtleback armor, they can't be citadeled at close range (apart from very rare lol-RNG moments). Aotearas pointed out correctly that the Amagi has this, too. Against broadsiding German BBs at close range it's best to aim above the main armor belt, at center-mass of the ship so to say. You can get 10-25k damage volleys from penetrations. If they angle too much, shoot the superstructure.

Against broadsiding non-German BBs you want to hit the waterline for citadel hits.

A broadsiding NC can be citadeled pretty easily but you have to hit right at the waterline because the citadel is very low. It also depends on your guns a little. The NC has very high arcs and the shells come down at a steeper angle while the Amagi's arcs are flatter.

In

iChase talks about the armor of the tier 10 BBs and he shows this turtleback armor. All other videos in his Captain's Academy playlist are worth to watch as well if you like to learn more about the game.

Players
2,183 posts
3,836 battles

Well, she has lower caliber shells than equally tiered BBs (380mm vs 406/410mm) lower shell weight and comparable to lower Krupp value so yeah, she has a bit less penetration overall.

Besides that problem, and his bad dispersion of shells.

magic happens when they come in bismark 2ndarie range :P

Sometimes you dont stay alive long enough in battle to see that ''magic''. Biz' is one of the most wanted targets in any MM, so expect to light up like a torch.

[CR33D]
Players
2,949 posts
14,953 battles

If you get those hits on broadside, you shoot probably too high. Try to aim lower and you will get your citadels.

Players
2,762 posts
15,765 battles

The magic happens at 10,6km anyway

8,8 imho main battery mod wil give you in general abetter ship and if you gona get as close as 10 you end up 8,8 and closer anyway...

Players
842 posts
8,386 battles

J3C7Drp.png

Bismarck's shells only have relatively low penetration at short ranges (where it matters the least). As the range increases, Bismarck's shells retain their energy quite well, unlike the Japanese 16" shells.

Conclusion: Paper numbers suggest quite some lackluster performance for the German 15" WW2 shells, in reality they perform reasonably well, almost on par with the 16" competition. 

[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
13,127 battles

just wait when Roma gets released and learn what real lasers are

Beta Tester
430 posts
4,959 battles

8,8 imho main battery mod wil give you in general abetter ship and if you gona get as close as 10 you end up 8,8 and closer anyway...

Battleships are universally so strong they can get away with not so optimal spec. The core spec is still there even with max sec range. 

[SCRUB]
Players
7,556 posts
9,775 battles

just wait when Roma gets released and learn what real lasers are

Eh, the higher muzzle velocity of the guns used on the Littorio class was overall considered a design flaw. High shell velocity meant flatter arcs meaning less effective plunging fire (this one would be largely irrelevant ingame as the flattter arcs and faster shells would be an advantage instead), but they also reduced barrel wear (again irrelevant) and (importantly for the game) reduced the accuracy.

Nice flat arcs and fast shells would be nice, but I'd also expect nasty dispersion and trollishly bad sigma to make up for it.

Players
2,762 posts
15,765 battles

Nice flat arcs and fast shells would be nice, but I'd also expect nasty dispersion and trollishly bad sigma to make up for it.

so kinda binary  

every salvo you either delete target or miss completely.... sounds like a lot of frustration on both ends.

Sign in to follow this