ShortySunderland

HMS Hood (1940 version) inbound as T7 Premium BB

378 comments in this topic

[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,982 battles

About time they introduced AA rockets. As shitty as they were irl I still want them in the game

[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,982 battles

Wait a minute, is it just me or is there a typo there? since when did Hood have 16 102mms? I have always thought it had 14 after the refit.... 

Edit: I can also only find 7 twin mounts on the pictures here as well. Keep trying to look this up but only the 7 twin mounts show up when the Secondaries got uniformed...

Edited by Affeks

Beta Tester
61 posts
2,938 battles

I can't believe she's finally here!

Tier 7!

That's why she exploded after the first hit...F off MM!

[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,982 battles

I'm pretty sure Hood slowed down after the refit... Well anyways you guys think we'll see the same cruiser Damage Control that is on Warspite? I sure hope that becomes the national trait of RN BBs.

[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,982 battles

Threw together some numbers on the AA that actually matters:

2.5 km = 59 dps

5 km = 65 dps (74 dps if it actually is 16 of those 102 mms, but I'm 95% sure its a typo)

As for the rockets I have no idea about the DPS, but the range shouldnt be more than 1 km... http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_UP.htm

They were really damn bad so I expect them to be borderline useless, or maybe be part of some makeshift consumable due to their slow reload.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,842 posts
4,770 battles

YEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Note the big warning that says the stats are the real ship NOT in game, so they may not implement the rocket AA or the torps, we will have to see. Also the 16 AA guns is a typo, should be 14.

[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,982 battles

YEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Note the big warning that says the stats are the real ship NOT in game, so they may not implement the rocket AA or the torps, we will have to see. Also the 16 AA guns is a typo, should be 14.

I'm very sure the torps will be included, they were above water and we can see what they did to Mutsu.

[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,982 battles

Didn't they had underwater ones?  Unlikely to get if so 

I think the pre-refit torps were under waterline, but after the refit they certainly were above.

Beta Tester
61 posts
2,938 battles

Rockets with 1km range...I cant figure how they could be used as AA weapons:amazed:.

I wonder what will be the non-premium counterpart since she was the only one of her class...

Beta Tester
2,443 posts

Didn't they had underwater ones?  Unlikely to get if so

No, they are above the water line, the 2 small windows pairs on the belt :

http://www.hmshood.com/ship/torpedo.htm

17474353_1027152324053170_1988787295_o.j

As for the rockets I have no idea about the DPS, but the range shouldnt be more than 1 km... http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_UP.htm

They were really damn bad so I expect them to be borderline useless, or maybe be part of some makeshift consumable due to their slow reload.

I think that the rockets will be some sort of consummables. You activate it and you have an AA minefield around your ships in several seconds.

Edited by Darth_Glorious

Players
109 posts
9 battles

I wonder what will be the non-premium counterpart since she was the only one of her class...

Yes and no... She was the only of her class to be built and completed. She was one of the four "Admiral-Class" Battlecruisers (Hood, Anson, Howe, Rodney), all of which were planned (and construction started on), but the three others got suspended in 1917. Hood escaped, since she was already too complete to be cancelled. Could very well be that we get to see the Admiral-class as a regular T7 ship. (although, to be honest, there is enough BB material of actual ships available for the Royal Navy).

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,842 posts
4,770 battles

Rockets with 1km range...I cant figure how they could be used as AA weapons:amazed:.

I believe they were supposed to fire a kind of aerial mine that hung on cables by a parachute. Attackers flying through would either get tangled or drag the bomb into themselves. The idea is about as practical as it sounds and they were quickly removed from the other ships that had them.

Beta Tester
2,443 posts

More infos here :

http://www.hmshood.com/ship/aaa.htm

7" Naval Wire Barrage, Unrotating Projectile (UP) Rocket Launcher

Type: Mark I
Number of Tubes: 20 (smooth bore)
Rocket: 7 in./178 mm x 32 in./813 mm fin stabilised rocket (3 in. / 76 mm motor)
Warhead: 8 oz / .14 kg aerial mine (CE)
Fuse: No. 700 and No. 720
Rate of Fire: Salvoes of 10
Maximum Altitude: @ 1,000 ft / 305 m
Elevation Angle (Max. / Min.): ? ° / @ 45°
Training: 360°
Comments: Hood was outfitted with 5 UP mounts which were added in 1940. One was atop "B" turret, and the remaining four on the Shelter Deck. In general, the UP (AKA "rocket-on-a-string") was a largely unsuccessful attempt at a low altitude anti-aircraft defence system. The basic concept was to create an aerial minefield: When hostile aircraft were detected, the UP "layer" (operator) would manually launch a salvo/spread of 10 rockets.

Upon reaching @1000ft, the rockets would detonate and expel mines attached to three parachutes by @400ft of cable. Aircraft flying through the aerial minefield would snag the cables and pull the mines into themselves. In reality, the system was slow & cumbersome.  The aerial minefields were clearly visible & easily avoidable.  This, coupled with other factors such as the volatile nature of the cordite/rockets & the risk of mines floating back onto the launching ship, doomed this weapon to mothballs. There are no records of UPs bringing down any aircraft. It's entirely possible that this system injured or killed more Britons than enemies due to accidents, fires, etc.

Edited by Darth_Glorious
  • Cool 1

Players
4,367 posts
16,858 battles

Waiting for Chipmunk to lose his crapover that this not yet another Lion project spin-off

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
5,161 posts
12,099 battles

I believe they were supposed to fire a kind of aerial mine that hung on cables by a parachute. Attackers flying through would either get tangled or drag the bomb into themselves. The idea is about as practical as it sounds and they were quickly removed from the other ships that had them.

Not shrapnel shotgun types? I think IJN played around with this on ise thoght UK did the same. Interesting to see they played around with some rather unorthodox idias too.

[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,982 battles

I think that the rockets will be some sort of consummables. You activate it and you have an AA minefield around your ships in several seconds.

They had slow reload and was easy to evade so that would make the most sense.

[GUNUP]
Beta Tester
279 posts
2,120 battles

Hood? Actual news on Hood? Sounds interesting..at least she can face her nemesis Bismarck soon. :ohmy:

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,842 posts
4,770 battles

Not shrapnel shotgun types? I think IJN played around with this on ise thoght UK did the same. Interesting to see they played around with some rather unorthodox idias too.

I don't know if they had a shrapnel option, I assume not since the HMS Hood website doesn't mention it (see the more detailed link Darth_Glorious posted). The IJN had their own ideas, and they were playing with rockets in 1943-45 while the RN UP launchers were 1940-41.