Sharana

[Guide] Basic CV gameplay

89 comments in this topic

Players
1 post
1,022 battles

can we talk about the locked loadouts? I mean I like the fighter heavy american loadout.... but again and F'ing again I get put in games as the only damn carrier... when you have two fighter wings and 1 dive bomber wing... you are about as useful as a one legged man in an [edited]kicking contest... i mean yes, you can scout... but you xp will be next to bloody nothing! making grinding in the american carriers a goddamn chore!!!!!

Players
2 posts
384 battles

Great guide, just one question. 

When I send fighters I can click a ship on my team or my TB's and it shows a green recycling icon? Is that a guard mode? 

Alpha Tester
2,271 posts
1,040 battles

Great guide, just one question. 

When I send fighters I can click a ship on my team or my TB's and it shows a green recycling icon? Is that a guard mode? 

Yes they will attack enemy planes that fly near that ship/bomber.

Players
812 posts
3,454 battles

Can anyone tell me how to use the new fighter-ability? It seems kinda useless to me, because I don't really know what it does, except shooting a corridor and wasting ammo without hitting anything.

Players
3 posts
991 battles

Hi , how can I modify the spred of torps ? ( no efect press on "3" , I reset on F1 etc , no effect ...., I reinstall the game , etc ...no effect ) .

Players
3 posts
991 battles

The game settings show simply press "3" for torpedo spred , but "3" is set for squadron 3 , I don't understand...

Players
245 posts

torpedo spread is for ships.

In a cv you select squadron nr 3 when you press 3.

You cannot alter the spread with the planes.

Select a torp squad, hold down ALT for manual attack and you can see the spread they use.

If they are panicked (under attack) the spread will alter a bit.

• Cool 1

Players
37 posts
41 battles

Very helpful and in-depth.

Any chance the Kaiserliche/Kriegsmarine will be getting Aircraft Carriers in the future?

[BRTMN]
Alpha Tester
817 posts
10,292 battles

One question - maybe I missed it, but is a carrier better able to do something with its planes if it is at a low speed ? Service time, landing time or something.

Alpha Tester
2,299 posts
1,085 battles

You should be on the move most of the time, because you don't know when enemy destroyer or bombers will visit you and when you see them you don't have time to accelerate anymore. Planes however land faster if you don't move, so sometimes it's wise to stop if you have lots of planes to recover.

When CV is at full speed the landing time is twice as long than when stationary. Reverse does not cut the time. Usually landing time is 11 s. Speed does not impact service times, nor the take offs.

• Cool 2

[GOT]
Sailing Hamster
377 posts
9,893 battles

1) When engaging enemy squadron don't kill it, leave 1-2 planes alive. They will have to fly back and land instead of forming new squadron aboard the enemy CV and taking off again. Don't spare him that flyback time!

Well, in the latest patches, this has changed. A wiped sqdn will take longer to reload and it uses more spare planes.
  • Cool 1

Players
6,008 posts
7,043 battles

When CV is at full speed the landing time is twice as long than when stationary.

Really? 

So CV is affected by ship's speed but other fleet when on full ahead speed it doesn't get any penalty to shooting? Brilliant....

Still I think it is better to be moving in CV and change position on map.

• Cool 1

[BRTMN]
Alpha Tester
817 posts
10,292 battles

Well, in the latest patches, this has changed. A wiped sqdn will take longer to reload and it uses more spare planes.

Thanks for the tip - How many more spare planes does it take to recreate a squadron than repair it please ?

[CAPT]
Players
267 posts
8,504 battles

Well done! :hmm: One caveat - you didn't mention (or I missed it),:look: spotting DD's for your team (as someone who plays DD's a lot, it can be very effective).

Players
3 posts
2,323 battles

Thanks for the tip - How many more spare planes does it take to recreate a squadron than repair it please ?

As many as it takes. If you have a 6-plane squadron, then building from scratch takes 6 planes, replacing 1 destroyed plane takes 1 plane.

It's actually quite straightforward.

What the previous poster meant is that recreating a squadron takes more planes than re-supplying a squadron.

Edited by mumlock

[BONI]
Players
1,019 posts
8,771 battles

Over 100 CV games and just today I've learnt about manual fighter strafing. I'm not the only one, most players up to t6 don't seem to know about this OP attack.

[-KNM-]
[-KNM-]
Players
3 posts
15,467 battles

Probably a noob question but I have googled, watched youtube and read the whole of this thread.

I am currently at tier 6 and tier 7 US carriers. And it seems to me that the opponets CV always have more plains in the air than me.. In my USS Ranger I have one TB, one Fighter and one DB squadron. But I also have 2 times reload of this.. But it seems to me that my opponent is launching his reserve at once as well.. so when my figthers meet his fighters they are outnumbered.. I can only TB from one side.. so the question. How do I launch all my planes?

If this is the wrong place to post this, I am truly sorry..