Sign in to follow this  
Toni112007

Battleships underpowered and torpedoes OP

48 comments in this topic

[GURU]
Alpha Tester
725 posts
40,682 battles

BB's are being played more because they're the most popular and well known ships. Everyone wants to have the most armour and the biggest guns. It's only a matter of time before the BB population nose dives in favor of Cruisers, which are more generally effective.

Yep if they discover ships like the Omaha, the Cleveland and the Mogami it should get better but at the moment it's pretty boring with up to 8 BB's on each side

Beta Tester
142 posts
1,078 battles

BB accuracy is already to high now. both in DD and CA i get one shot almost every game from long range.

Not sure how you get to that conclusion,,, i have put 12x360mm HE shells in to a tier 3-4 destroyer and took less than half its HP away, Then got killed by torpedoes,,,, Before they mess with the accuracy of BB they need to reduce the damage of all the torpedoes in the game enough so that one salvo from tier 3 destroyer doesnt take out tier 5-6 battleships!

I have seen (and done this my self)people gett a lucky shot from up to 20km with BB and hitting a cruiser or destroyer and taking almost all the HP. But for every one of those there are over 20 ocations where a single Destroyer has killed a full health Battleship in one salvo after taking several +300mm HE shells. The AP shells for the Battleships just go straight through destroyers and i have only once gotten lucky and one shot a tier 5 destroyer with the fuso's 360mm AP round.

Edited by Fenrir2205

[WNKRS]
Alpha Tester
967 posts
4,906 battles

I find AP to be quite effective against approaching DD's with Fuso. The last three that tried to get close to me were one shotted with AP without issue. That said, when I see someone trying to claim DD's get one shot by BB's at range as if it's common place I can't help but call them a liar. Past 7km, baring freak RNG DD's are pretty much immune to BB's as long as they don't make themselves easy to hit.

Edited by HellSpunk

[GURU]
Alpha Tester
725 posts
40,682 battles

I find AP to be quite effective against approaching DD's with Fuso. The last three that tried to get close to me were one shotted with AP without issue. That said, when I see someone trying to claim DD's get one shot by BB's at range as if it's common place I can't help but call them a liar. Past 7km, baring freak RNG DD's are pretty much immune to BB's as long as they don't make themselves easy to hit.

I sail DD's a lot so I can confirm this, if you get hit by a BB at long range you are just unlucky but at close quarters a BB can easily take you out with AP (or HE for that matter).

If you are a BB that sails into a full salvo of a DD then you are either way too close to him (as in an ambush situation) or you are sailing in a straight line with the same speed for way too long.

I seldom get a full spread into an experienced BB player but the, let's say "less experienced player" is more often then not an easy prey.

Little edit

I also sail BB's (not as often as DD's and Cl's) and the only times that I get taken out by DD's is where I made a stupid rush move into a location or in a last stand situation against several enemies where I am so busy in keeping them all at distance that a DD can sneak up on me.

CV torps is a different matter, if you have a skilled CV player against you, you just can't avoid his torps in a BB

Edited by Broevaharo

Beta Tester
15 posts
228 battles

BB accuracy is already to high now. both in DD and CA i get one shot almost every game from long range.

It's fine now. If you're getting 1 shot at range it means you made no attempt to actually dodge. It takes like 10 seconds tfor shots to land at 15KM. If you didn't make a single movement or course adjustment in 10 seconds, you deserve to get shot down. Pay some attention to what's going on around you and zig-zag. :)

Weekend Tester
916 posts
1,191 battles

Torpedos have made me uninstall the Beta. I can't be arsed with a game that allows people to sit in a corner of the map and drop Torpedos via airships on a BB with no counterplay against them. It's just incredibly bad design and rng.

this game is super unbalanced for now, there is no way to run away from the torpedoes(so fast and hard to see after launched) if you have a battleship. they have to do something or we will play the world of torpedoes soon.

The only thing they should balance faster is the aircraft carrier. They are faster than a BB , and when there are 2 aircraft carriers vs 2 BB , aircraft carriers always win cause of torpedo bombers.

God damn it guys. Did any of you tried to play the class of the ship, you are whining about? Playing as any kind of ship I can already tell that all of them requires quite a lot of skill. This is the same kind of whine like on arty in WoT.
  • Cool 1

Beta Tester
15 posts
228 battles

I have to admit, I solo'd 3 ships (2 carriers and a cruiser) in the same square. I suppose the cruiser was protecting the carriers. It's a little broken you can just come around the corner, pop smokescreen and then put 12 torps in their hulls. 3v1 and I came out practically unharmed. The destroyer is fine, but the effects of smokescreen are too good. It shouldn't be possible to go completely invisible and disappear if ships are within 0-2km.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
37 posts
1,016 battles

If you as a destroyer got  into 0-2 km without getting spotted you deserve those kills, situational awareness is everything.

[GURU]
Alpha Tester
725 posts
40,682 battles

If you as a destroyer got  into 0-2 km without getting spotted you deserve those kills, situational awareness is everything.

Exactly, again an example of a perfect run and there are not many that can pull that off

[USEUR]
Alpha Tester
1,200 posts
2,721 battles

So true!

Situational awareness will grant you more kills and won games, than any guns or torpedoes could do.

Alpha Tester
220 posts
1,804 battles

I think the real problem with torpedoes is that destroyers get like 5 meters away from carrier and then they launch torpedoes and destroy carrier instantly.

There should be some distance for torpedoes to activate like few hundred meters or something or else they don´t detonate.

Beta Tester
15 posts
228 battles

Situational awareness is one thing. Having 2-3 destroyers coordinate smokescreens means they can stay invisible pretty much the entire game. I don't think Torpedos are OP, or even the Destroyer perse. It's the smokescreen that's a little too good.

[COSTS]
Alpha Tester
3,692 posts
5,958 battles

I think the real problem with torpedoes is that destroyers get like 5 meters away from carrier and then they launch torpedoes and destroy carrier instantly.

There should be some distance for torpedoes to activate like few hundred meters or something or else they don´t detonate.

You mean 5km ? Anyway torps do have an arming range already. Try launching torps right next to a ship !

[FRAPS]
[FRAPS]
Alpha Tester
95 posts
4,884 battles

As a mainly BB player (also play tier 2 DD and tier 4 alfa rewarded cruiser) i usualy manage to evade DD's and CA's torpedoes attacks now :)

Concerning the torpedo-bombers, it's a bit harder to avoid their fishes unless you head traight toward their flight before they launch (but still hit by one...) :sceptic:

Alpha Tester
220 posts
1,804 battles

You mean 5km ? Anyway torps do have an arming range already. Try launching torps right next to a ship !

How did I see destroyer launching torpedoes right 10 meters away from carrier and sinking it?

Beta Tester
8 posts
44 battles

The one thing that no one metioned here that this game is a cooperative game. This means if your cruisers let a destroyer to your battleship or if you go alone to the side of the map where you are alone then you are gonna have a bad time.  Also this isn`t world of tanks where if you do a bad decision you can live to tell about it. I played a game where there was only 1 enemy destroyer and we had 4 battleships and we lose because the destroyer capped. The torpedos damage is ok. Just learn your role and think thats all. 

Beta Tester
13 posts
1,835 battles

And give BB oneshot abilty on destroyer.

The already have. A full hit from my tier IV BB on a cruiser once did 15k dmg. A destroyer on that tier has only 10k of hitpoints.

[KHCL]
Alpha Tester
2,051 posts
21,696 battles

BB's from Fuso up to the Yamato are really underpowered because of some many server side changes!

• Higher turn radius
  • slower rudder steering turn speed
  • higher inaccuracy main batteries
  • Fuso have a travel speed from 25 knots (historically correct)
  • afaik and see a longer turret turn speed for the fuso (maybe? don't know really.)
  • EDIT: And the Fuso have a lower firing angle right now!

So that's the main problems because a BB cannot win any 1 on 1 against a CA if they CA plays clever and stay behind so far away as they can! In that case it is impossible to evade the CA shell by zig zaging, because of the huge turn radius and slow rudder steering speed! 

BB's are not more useful against good CA player, also against skilled CV player (using ground attack)! This time is really over currently and make truly no fun anymore to play a BB because of too much changes!

About the Torpedos I can only say in the lower tier area they are too much. Saw sometimes a CV sunk a BB with one Airgroup by using the ground attack ability! 

Edited by Lusankya
  • Cool 1

[WNKRS]
Alpha Tester
967 posts
4,906 battles

There are people in this game who claim BB's have no spread 90% of the time, that's how warped peoples understanding of BB's are. 

Beta Tester
70 posts
2 battles

There are people in this game who claim BB's have no spread 90% of the time, that's how warped peoples understanding of BB's are. 

Because people don't remember the three dozen shots that all missed his/her ship and only remember the ones that hit.
  • Cool 1

[D64]
Beta Tester, Sailing Hamster
335 posts
7,723 battles

I only played the tier 3 and 4 battleships so I am speaking only about these. I had some good games, I had some bad games. I had games where I one-shotted cruisers, I had games where the entire team left and let me alone against 3-4 fast enemy ships.

In certain conditions, the battleship is deadly. But ! If anything fast gets close to it and it's a semi-decent player at least... it's usually game over.

If you see really big guns aiming at you.... don't stand still in front of it... live today, fight tomorrow... :)

Strong points, weak points, all classes have them.

[TALOS]
[TALOS]
Beta Tester
8 posts
11,888 battles

Indeed. 1 barrage from main guns can be one shot kill on DDs.  I did it 3-4 times with AP.

At First games with bbs i noticed that APs couldt give the final shot to ships that  had low hp and the damage was minimal. So APS First  to low their hp amd HE to finish them is the solution.

[KHCL]
Alpha Tester
2,051 posts
21,696 battles

Because they are not experienced Testers? Before the CBT comes I have something around 500 BB battles or maybe more. So if people say they haven't a big spread I don't know but I can say I'm with w4lt3r (see below)

Because people don't remember the three dozen shots that all missed his/her ship and only remember the ones that hit.

As I said the main problem is with the main batteries of the Fuso and up to the Yamato. On ranges over than 12km you will hit nothing! Maybe sometimes someone but also only if they go amidships! Woe to change their course or driving diagonally you will see what I mean

Sign in to follow this