Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
CapitanHarlock98

Japanese battleship not realistic in the armor

12 comments in this topic

Players
101 posts
4,006 battles

Hi all.

I am CapitanHarlock98, a World of Warships player, and I have a question regarding the Japanese battleships.

I have noticed that the armor is significantly weaker than it is in reality, for example the armor of the Ijn Nagato in the game is mostly 25 mm, while the real one is according to Wikipedia:

"The ship's waterline armor belt was 305 mm (12 in) thick and tapered to a thickness of 100 mm (3.9 in) at its bottom edge; above it was a strake of 229 mm (9.0 in) armor. The main deck armor was 69 mm (2.7 in) while the lower deck was 75 mm (3 in) thick.[26] The turrets were protected with an armor thickness of 305 mm on the face, 230–190 mm (9.1–7.5 in) on the sides, and 152–127 mm (6.0–5.0 in) on the roof.[12] The barbettes of the turrets were protected by armor 305 mm thick, while the casemates of the 140 mm guns were protected by 25 mm armor plates. The sides of the conning tower were 369 mm (14.5 in) thick.[2]

The new 41 cm turrets installed during Nagato's reconstruction were more heavily armored than the original ones. Face armor was increased to 460 mm (18.1 in), the sides to 280 mm (11.0 in), and the roof to 250–230 mm (9.8–9.1 in).[27] The armor over the machinery and magazines was increased by 38 mm on the upper deck and 25 mm on the upper armored deck.[9] These additions increased the weight of the ship's armor to 13,032 metric tons (12,826 long tons),[10] 32.6 percent of her displacement.[9] In early 1941, as a preparation for war,[7] Nagato's barbette armor was reinforced with 100 mm (3.9 in) armor plates above the main deck and 215 mm (8.5 in) plates below it.[28]"

For this reason, they are too easy to destroy and don't have the resistance of a real Japanese battleship, so they result almost useless in the game.

Knowing that the game is very realistic, effect-wise and for the true-to-life ships, I would like to know, was this done for reasons, or is it a bug worth fixing for a better game experience?

This bug is present not only in the Nagato, but also in other Japanese battleships.

Thank you for your attention,

CapitanHarlock98

• Cool 1

Players
1,890 posts
2,549 battles

If I may give you advice - play with clicking on the control panel of armor viewer in the game and you'll realise that what you have just written (the "mostly 25mm armor" part) to be really far from being true

believe me if Nagato had so much of 25mm as you seem to believe you WOULD feel it GREATLY :P

and that comes from someone who mostly sails the ships that have 25mm of armor top

Players
4,046 posts

IJN BBs are very much competitive, even those with weak armor. I still consider it the strongest BB line this game currently has.

Kongo is fast and has good gun range.

Fuso is a long range shotgun that can potentially oneshot any ship it can possibly encounter.

Nagato has precise guns and a good set of secondaries. It is also very maneuverable.

Amagi is all of the above and has one of the best torpedo protections in the game on top.

Izumo with its unique turret layout can angle very well and therefore deflect many incoming shells.

Yamato is pure awesomesauce with guns that can penetrate every other ship at any possible angle.

You need to learn to use the things the game is giving to you. This is not an ultra-realistic simulator. It is an arcade game and therefore there are plenty of things not like they are in the history books.

Not to mention that many of the listed armor values are actually in the game (didn't check for all of them).

Supertester, Sailing Hamster
421 posts
9,884 battles

Use the tools the game gives you, and test around a bit more before you go online and say somethings wrong where nothings wrong. Nagato's armor problem was fixed long ago (Citadel armored deck slops, if you wanted to know what armor problem was fixed on her LONG ago)

Players
1,890 posts
2,549 battles

Use the tools the game gives you, and test around a bit more before you go online and say somethings wrong where nothings wrong. Nagato's armor problem was fixed long ago (Citadel armored deck slops, if you wanted to know what armor problem was fixed on her LONG ago)

his problem are not citadel slopes of nagato though as if I recall correctly not even these when bugged were 25mm

his issue was seeign 25mm torpedo buldge and 25mm hull and 25mm superstructure and believing that this is all the armor Nagato has got.....

421 posts
9,884 battles

his problem are not citadel slopes of nagato though as if I recall correctly not even these when bugged were 25mm

his issue was seeign 25mm torpedo buldge and 25mm hull and 25mm superstructure and believing that this is all the armor Nagato has got.....

well, i only told him about the only Nagato armore bug that i remember.   And Nagato's armore bug is part of Mutsu atm, i think. If you have mutsu, check Citadel armored deck slops in the front.

Players
1,890 posts
2,549 battles

well, i only told him about the only Nagato armore bug that i remember.   And Nagato's armore bug is part of Mutsu atm, i think. If you have mutsu, check Citadel armored deck slops in the front.

if memory serves mutsu uses stock[old] nagato armor layout and nagato even got those slopes on remodel

I think I do recall seeing in preview her having nice flat fore end of citadel?

421 posts
9,884 battles

if memory serves mutsu uses stock[old] nagato armor layout and nagato even got those slopes on remodel

I think I do recall seeing in preview her having nice flat fore end of citadel?

you kinda confused me suddenly. 

Are you thinking that im saying nagato shouldn't have the slops when remodeld? if so then you understood me wrong. 

Nagato's Armored citadel slops were CA.36 mm before wargaming fixed it to what it is now.

Players
1,890 posts
2,549 battles

you kinda confused me suddenly. 

Are you thinking that im saying nagato shouldn't have the slops when remodeld? if so then you understood me wrong. 

Nagato's Armored citadel slops were CA.36 mm before wargaming fixed it to what it is now.

I am saying that original [now removed] nagato hull A [stock one] didn't have those slopes yet at all - instead it had nice and flat athwardship which was one of reasons why people were advising to skip to hull B with free XP [second was shell type] and that premium mutsu also uses armor model without those slopes [afaik] because it uses old nagato hull A in which case that bug with improper thickness of slopes have no chances to occur because there are no slopes to be bugged to begin with.

and mutsu using that hull makes sense considering that remodel that gave nagato those slopes was performed after mutsu have sunk.....

PS. I may have worded it weirdly the point was that nagato used to get mentioned armored citadel slopes on remodel with stock hull not having them yet but hull in mention was removed few patches ago

421 posts
9,884 battles

I am saying that original [now removed] nagato hull A [stock one] didn't have those slopes yet at all - instead it had nice and flat athwardship which was one of reasons why people were advising to skip to hull B with free XP [second was shell type] and that premium mutsu also uses armor model without those slopes [afaik] because it uses old nagato hull A in which case that bug with improper thickness of slopes have no chances to occur because there are no slopes to be bugged to begin with.

and mutsu using that hull makes sense considering that remodel that gave nagato those slopes was performed after mutsu have sunk.....

PS. I may have worded it weirdly the point was that nagato used to get mentioned armored citadel slopes on remodel with stock hull not having them yet but hull in mention was removed few patches ago

I tested the ship, and when i checked it had the armored slops.

i could see if i find a video from the CC showing the armore of, and then mark it. if you want that.

Players
1,890 posts
2,549 battles

I tested the ship, and when i checked it had the armored slops.

i could see if i find a video from the CC showing the armore of, and then mark it. if you want that.

welp my memory could be working wonky but I do recall seeing nice flatness there on ichase review of Mustu.....

Sign in to follow this