10 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
652 posts
4,359 battles

So, suppose you're being the tank, leading the push, your team backing you up. You get that glorious charge feeling. Then an enemy battleship pops up. Your fleet scatters, all turning away instantly. What do you do as a BB? Turn broadside and get deleted, or push on, alone, abandoned into the torpedo soup he-rain filled path ahead?

This is a problem I experience, have been experiencing ever since ~tier 7.

I am now sailing around in Iowa, and I have not found any answer to this problem. I have made multiple posts asking for advice in battleships, but this is the main problem I face in all of them. We are asked to tank, not feed the sniping meta, yet when every ship uses you as a fail safe cover point so they can turn away, what is the point?

My question: does anyone know a way to avoid being abandoned when leading the charge, or is this just what battleships have to deal with?

Players
1,752 posts
9,924 battles

A) I keep a lookout on the minimap and guage the enemy and where they are. If the enemy only has 2 dds for example, 1 a fubuki and the other an ognovoi and the fubuki is spotted at the other flank I know i dont have to worry about long range torps, which means i cam be more aggressive when pushing. Also if I know that there are more enemy ships on the flank Im on i will not push in too aggressively and whittle the enemy down a bit first before pushing. Minimap, planning and positioning is key. Oh and the minimap can tell you abit of your allies's intention. If for example u see a BB/any other ship sailing horizontal from spawn on 2 brothers towards the map border u know they're either a) not gonna push or b)taking the scenic route which is not much different from not pushing.

B) If im caught overextended and have to turn back, i usually:

1) First angle against the greatest threat (other BB)

2) Wait for those BBs to fire and after they do, quickly turn away and run off.

3) shots from CAs are usually negligible. You can recover from being toasted by a CA but not from getting citadelled by an enemy BB.Even getting citadelled by a CA may be a better choice since their citadel shots are not as devastating as that of a BB.

I often see people stop their BB and begin reversing. That would be feasible if you're directly next to cover but if you are not u just make it easier for other ships to hit you. Better to turn and run away. 

Edited: numbering

Players
35 posts
2,615 battles

Yes the charging Dilemma , You're not alone on this one. As an aggressive IJN BB player I find myself in this situation alot. I see you mention this on an Iowa and the problem is projected even more as they turn like bricks. My advice would be to not push too far in USN BB's. Because going broadside = massive citadel.

Use the USN BB's strength which is concealment. keep all enemy ships beyond your detection range so you can the turn in concealment. 

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

Push smart, don't just point bow at the enemy. You don't need to be bow in to be angled, compromise between being protected and sailing where you actually want to go, change course often as necessary and use enemy reloads as cover. Use islands to create a series of "decision points" and possible routes. For example, sail behind island 1 until I have more information, then turn in but head diagonally towards island 2 that will be my safe turn point if things go unexpected in the meantime. Turn bow in to tank that shot, then turn away a bit for 30 seconds to not completely close off my escape route option. And so on. All map awareness, planning and contingency.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
497 posts
4,276 battles

Plan your attack before hand, sure a DD with torps will ruin any good plan but if you have an island to turn in behind at the right moment it will make all the difference. Good Rudder-shift and turning circle helps too

Players
1,648 posts
12,122 battles

If you end up in this dilemma (and it can happen quite often, frankly), and you know you will get sunk either way, then just do as much damage as possible. Bow towards the largest enemy gun caliber, guns towards the easiest target, secondaries on the nearest target, ramming speed towards that enemy BB.

Stopping and reversing is a natural reaction, especially with Iowa. But the enemy will stroke you to death. So just go down with a bang. Iowa is a huge torpedo with 34.5 knots top speed and 79k+ damage :)

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
652 posts
4,359 battles

Been trying to play it a bit safer, sticking with my ships etc. But my WR is suffering alot. My PR rating in Iowa has definetly increased, but I have not won a single game in her today.

Update: Top tier game on Islands of Ice just now, went quite well. Stalled an enemy advance and got 98K

Edited by gekkehenkie50

Alpha Tester
186 posts
620 battles

As my BB is Warspite, and she gets, well, lets call it "exciting, feature laden matchmaking", I tend to find myself in this situation a lot. Especially with the short range guns. My default response is to resort to proper RN tactics. Ram the T8 BB! I'll exchange a T6 BB for a T8 one in a heart beat.

I'd love to see how many ribbons my Warspite has for flooding damage.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,439 posts
13,843 battles

Tbh I'd tell you to never lead charges in an Iowa and always keep your enemy at a distance above your min stealth range and ~15km.

But then again that'd require someone else to lead and we all know how that goes... ¬_¬

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
652 posts
4,359 battles

Tbh I'd tell you to never lead charges in an Iowa and always keep your enemy at a distance above your min stealth range and ~15km.

But then again that'd require someone else to lead and we all know how that goes... ¬_¬

Yeah, I know she's supposed to be this second line semi-sniper ninja, but as you said. If you don't go, who does? I tried this in games when I was not top tier, aka: facing 3+ tier X BBs, and it nets me alot of damage. But we do not win! My WR just goes down the drain in exchange for mediocre damage totals, which isnt the way I want to play high tier battles.