Sign in to follow this  
Invictus_Antagonistes

Großer Kurfürst and how to play her

9 comments in this topic

Players
60 posts
2,657 battles

Hey all,

So I got as far as the Amagi and the Iowa on my battleship lines (previous thread debating which...Amagi won) and decided to try out the Germans seeing as I love my Scharnhorst and Tirpitz (boo hiss premium player) but rather than slog through the lower ranks I thought I'd free xp through to the Bismarck (10.6km of hell no is too good to miss). However I also badly want the Großer Kurfürst, something about her is so beautiful and those cannons...

Now before all the cries of you "cant free xp to tier X and act like a noob" I'm an average player and have previously had tier X on my old account (Montana) I'm also experimenting with the Großer Kurfürst on the PTS, which i thought was a smart play. However how do you play her in terms of builds, most my German ships have my captain skills spec'd into secondary perks, modules enhance main battery. The exception to this rule will be the Bismarck.

So to cut a long story short should I focus on a secondary build with the the Großer Kurfürst or enhance her main batteries and just have my secondary batteries out to 8km. Normally I'm hyper aggressive in my battleships (charging in with DD's and CA's) but with the GK I feel like i should play her more like a mid range heavy hitter, sitting between 10-15km away and just using those big 'ol guns to pummel people. So which is it for her?

Edited by Admiral_Cain

Players
260 posts
12,357 battles

Check Flamu's builds (he has a whole vid on top tier and premium ship builds). He recommends secondary build for Bismarck but not for TX. His argument being that the current TX meta means fighting at greater distance. At the end of the day it depends on your play style I guess and if I ever go for the Großer Kurfürst myself I think I'd be tempted with secondary build.

• Cool 1

[BGNAV]
Players
132 posts
5,284 battles

I love the GK. It can easily push aggressively and with secondary build + hydro it can even rush DDs if needed. The 12 guns while having poor dispersion, do usually do a lot of damage. The secondaries are also great if using a good build to enhance them (and who wouldn't). I currently run this captain build along with aaa/secondary HP, secondary range, faster reload, damage control, rudder shift and concealment.

However, it is made for really aggressive play with good use of cover and map awareness. I would not recommend it to somebody who has not played the ship. With this build the turret traverse becomes similar to a stock Yamato, so when pushing close, good map awareness is key.

IFHE is a skill that I picked because it is really buggy on GK and Gneis - their secondaries overmatch other BBs' bow and stern armor causing huge damage done to Monty and Yama by secondaries up front or at the rear. Other GKs are not really affected because they have additional armor layer before their citadels. Aerroon made a video on this as well.

A good alternate build is a combination between secondary and concealment build with turret traverse. It is easier to advance and get into secondary range. Also the air detectability is buggy as well - stock it says GK will get spotted by planes at about 18km, while in reality this number is about 13km. With concealment it gets to about 11km.

As a general advise on how to play I would say: 

- Always try to get closer to the enemies by be careful around enemies with torps. The belt is not that thick and torp damage is really painful (you can't heal most of it).

- Do not push alone.

- When you are taking HE damage and burning a lot, learn a good timing on when to disengage. If you run away the moment you get lit up, you will not make any difference in battle. If you stay for too long, you may not have time to heal. This is something that is learned "the hard way".

- As with other BBs, plan your actions ahead. The ship is fast in a straight line, but turns really slow. Depending on the upgrades, the turret traverse might not be that fast either (case and point - my current build).

- Use the 420mm guns. The 406mm fire faster, but are a lot weaker against BBs and angled CAs. Note that the german guns at 406mm are considerably worse in terms of penetration and damage compared to the american ones.

- Use secondaries, but do not rely on them. They do a lot of extra damage, but may fail to hit a DD at point-blank range while it turns and torps you to death.

- Enemies will pound on you. A lot. Use that to your advantage - all the damage you take may prevent a teammate's CA/CL from being citadelled to death instead. However even with the turtleback armor you should not show too much broadside - you can only take so many 20K salvos at your side...

Overall all builds on this ship are good because it is borderline OP. However it is not immortal - make mistakes and you will die as quickly as with any other T10 BB.

PS: The secondary arcs are not as high as on FdG or Bismarck, so do not expect them to lob shells over tall islands. Their shells do travel faster though.

• Cool 1

[NED]
Players
4,200 posts
11,706 battles

Battlestar Galactica fan? Or is your game name coincidental?

Good to see you like the ship. I am grinding the line and I must say I really like it! Did struggle a bit with Nassau. But the rest I find a blast. @Bism now

Beta Tester
990 posts
3,372 battles

- Use the 420mm guns. The 406mm fire faster, but are a lot weaker against BBs and angled CAs. Note that the german guns at 406mm are considerably worse in terms of penetration and damage compared to the american ones.

​Actually the 420mm guns have worse penetration than the 406mm. Only at very long range do the 420s start to get slightly better. Gun performance is nearly identical and the choice of what to pick only comes down to the preference of the player.

I personally like the 406s more because the faster reload gives more freedom to succesfully switch to momentary targets of opportunity (like catching a cruiser mid-turn).

• Cool 1

[BGNAV]
Players
132 posts
5,284 battles

​Actually the 420mm guns have worse penetration than the 406mm. Only at very long range do the 420s start to get slightly better. Gun performance is nearly identical and the choice of what to pick only comes down to the preference of the player.

I personally like the 406s more because the faster reload gives more freedom to succesfully switch to momentary targets of opportunity (like catching a cruiser mid-turn).

You are correct. The penetration values published in this topic show more details on that. However, if you also take a look at the short to mid range penetration values you would notice that in both cases the thickness of armor that the shells can go through is just insane. If some BB angles so much as to achieve similar thickness, the shells would autobounce anyway due to the angle.

The 420mm guns offer a bit more alpha damage, a small advantage in armor overmatching capability and better penetration at range (the latter is rarely relevant). A good thing to note is that the turret firing angles require you to show a lot of broadside if you want to fire all guns, so shooting less frequently but for more damage has its perks.

The 406mm guns are more versatile in the example you presented and could suit someone's playstyle if they prefer to engage different targets more often. That does fall out the window however if you put the reload module unless you have a bit more distance between you and your targets. With these guns you would also need to show broadside more often to use your back guns if you shoot at a single target. A good idea would be to just forget about the rear guns in such scenario or use them against another target (if such is present) after firing the front ones. 

The spec that I run with now is a bit mixed - 420mm guns with reload module make the ship very good at focusing and killing a specific target, but cost versatility when it comes to switching back and forth between different ships, especially up close (due to the module slowing down the turret traverse). It requires more map awareness and mistakes can be costly.

At the end I have to say that the gun caliber choice will always be a subject of personal preference but everyone who gets to the 420mm guns will already have experience with the 406mm ones, so they can make the choice for themselves. 

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,131 posts
11,671 battles

This thing really needs EM and the 420 mm then the party can start.

I got off to a rocky start with her but doing well with those additions.

Reload module for those BB that can accept it. Stack with Adrenaline Rush and clutch harder!!! :playing:

[LOBUZ]
Players
4,327 posts
16,688 battles

Helmutosaurus Rex is atop of the reBBtilian food chain. It crouches slowly towards its prey making awsome rawr sounds in the progress. He doesn't have to dodge as some pussy veloCAraptors - he relies on his ultra Krupp skin instead. He's not afraid of dem little pesky verminDDs as his rather shorty arms can punch with surprising speed. Once he gets close he will feed on the flesh of his opponents with ease. Mind that he has a little brain and may walk into ambush but you will have to pay the iron price to overwhelm the btard.

Sign in to follow this