You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Master_Ollie

Poll to change irrevocable ranks

64 members have voted

1. 1. Should the irrevocable ranks change?

• Yes
    • No

28 comments in this topic

[BLOBS]
Players
6 posts
5,440 battles

A poll to change irrevocable ranks to a more logical progression

The current ranks that are irrevocable are: 23, 22, 21, 20, 19, 18, 17, 15, 12, 1

I propose the new irrevocable ranks should be: 23, 22, 21, 20, 15, 10, 5, 1 

New irrevocable rank lineup: 23, 22, 21, 20, 16, 12, 6, 1

EDIT:

I completely disagree with removing irrevocable ranks all together, that is a horrible idea. There needs to be an intermediate for rank 12 and rank 1.

This is a game, a game is designed for fun and challenge, but there is a balance that needs to be kept or it could end up too challenging and not fun. I am all for challenging, and ranked is, but to the point where it's not fun is absurd. I should not have to give up on my plan to get a USS black simply because it causes me far more stress than fun. 

Even if you're good, and you come top of the team every time, if every time is a loss you do not progress, you remain where you are, that is not fun, 

There is a difference between challenging and stressful, and right now, ranked is stressful. Especially with something like the USS Black being the ultimate goal for everyone.

Edited by Master_Ollie

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,507 posts

I'm not totally opposed to the current system or the OPs suggestion.

One more safe point would be sufficent for most players. I'd not put it on the league barriers, like suggested in the OP. You should be able to drop out of the top league if you are not good enouhg to stay in there. So a safe spot at rank 8, in addition to the currently available ones, would be enough.

• Cool 2

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,780 posts
10,685 battles

Another safe rank might have its place BUT definitely NOT at Rank 5. Especially since every additional safe rank puts more emphasis on persistence and less on performance. The last safe Rank in single digits? Ok. But these "single digits" should most definitely not be lower than 7-8.

As for the lower Ranks, they're there to introduce the basic concepts of Ranked without frustrating people. Going from every-rank-irrevocable straight to 5-rank gaps is not a good idea.

Basically, current system might be tweaked a bit but OPs proposal is worse than current system.

Modder
3,888 posts
6,947 battles

The new system with fewer irrevocalbe ranks just ensures that the bad players have to play more games until they reach rank 1. Hundreds of games. And while they playing their hundreds of games they spoil the fun of all their team mates, because they still are bad players.

Do fewer irrevocable ranks prevent bad players from reaching rank 1? No!

More irrevoclabe ranks would ensure that bad players will reach rank 1 earlier and so do not spoil the fun of all the other players.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,500 posts
4,666 battles

Actually I have been wondering why the last safe rank is 12 and not 10. My special-snowflake-OCD does not like that it's 12. :D

But I guess it has something to do with not making it too easy to reach rank 1? Or has any explanation been given?

Players
79 posts
2,620 battles

If there were to be another irrevocable rank, it should be at 6-8. Placing it at a league barrier is a very bad idea, because players should drop out again if they are not good enough. Also, there definitely shouldn't be an irrevocable rank anywhere in the top league, because it would lead to players that have reached that rank to take the game less serioulsy, thereby ruining lots of other peoples games. Actually I would embrace another irrevocable rank somewhere from 6 to 8, not too easy to reach from 12, and still enough stars away from the first league.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,131 posts
11,671 battles

The Premier League gets filled with yolo and potatoes as it is.

Making Irrevocable Rank 5 would be a huge fail.

If anything there should be no Irrevocable Ranks so bad play is properly punished.

[G-S-R]
Beta Tester
38 posts
5,032 battles

Irrevocable ranks are the main reason why sub 50% winrate players can reach rank 1. Imho there shouldnt be any of those at all. This way players would advance in ranks till they run out of skill and then oscillate around their true rank as luck dictates, only to rise if they really improve their play (or ship selection).

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,683 posts
7,239 battles

I think it should be easy enough for an average player to make rank 15 and then a bit of effort to get to 12, as is now.  After that the game being too hard for me is not something I can complain about.

the one thing I do like is that as I play I'm gaining plenty of credits and free commander XP for my account, as I only use 19 pointers in premium ships.  That will keep me trying.

Edited by Hedgehog1963

[TDD]
Players
47 posts
2,904 battles

If there is an addition to the irrevokable ranks, then it should be between 10 and 6, and remove 12, 22 and 21 Which would leave it at 23, 20, 15, 10, 6, 1.

Though I've been struggling to get past 11 for the past few days, mainly due to being stuck with complete and utter morons ('our entire team gets wiped out, and no one on the enemy team dies' kind of morons).

[W_I_G]
Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles

there are already too many snowflakes in higher ranks, no need to increase them with irrevocable ranks..

• Cool 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,131 posts
11,671 battles

I've done a few seasons of Ranked now and I've never had a problem beyond 12, as in I've never fallen from say 6 down to 12th. 

The amount of games you need to go up or down means it's unlikely to be luck that you are where you are.

Remove all Irrevocable :playing:

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
922 posts
11,316 battles

I've done a few seasons of Ranked now and I've never had a problem beyond 12, as in I've never fallen from say 6 down to 12th. 

The amount of games you need to go up or down means it's unlikely to be luck that you are where you are.

Remove all Irrevocable :playing:

I did 3 times already this season. From R3 to R9, from R5 to R12 .. no problem ..

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,131 posts
11,671 battles

I did 3 times already this season. From R3 to R9, from R5 to R12 .. no problem ..

How does that happen? You must have lost confidence/concentration to fall that far. If you've made it as far as R3 you should be able to push for R1...

[BLOBS]
Players
6 posts
5,440 battles

How does that happen? You must have lost confidence/concentration to fall that far. If you've made it as far as R3 you should be able to push for R1...

I made it to rank 5, down to rank 8, back to rank 5, and back down again to rank 9. I don't know how it happened, but it does. You can't come top every game, you cannot win every game.

remember that not everyone is as good as, say, Flamu, but that doesn't mean they don't deserve to reach rank 1. If that was the case then only people like Flamu and his general level of skill should ever win ranked, and that is completely unfair. 

I am not afraid to say I am a good player, but I am very inconsistent. Sometimes you'll see me doing amazingly, coming top of the team with over 2k base XP, and sometimes you'll see me die first. I'm good at the game, but I am not consistently good at the game. 

Just because you have never fallen from rank 6 to 12 doesn't mean it can't happen, sometimes it's out of your control, sometimes there will be people better than you, but that doesn't mean you're a bad player, that doesn't mean you shouldn't ever get rank 1. 

Edited by Master_Ollie
  • Cool 1

[W_I_G]
Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles

this is more of a mental problem. you are under tilt... considering quality of players on r6-r10 you should be able to carry most of the games, and when you lose in most of them you should be on top of the team.

if you see that you are unable to go up ranks usually that means you have reached skill wall. wait 2-3 days till more skilled players get to rank 1 and fresh lower skilled blood gets to r2-r5. more unskilled players in your league= easier to carry and easier to perform in losing team (aka top spot in losing team).

2 seasons ago i made a mistake of going into first wave with unskilled captain in mahan and needed 290 battles to reach rank 1. i had frustrations cause i was playing with higher skilled players and for every battle won, i had a battle lost in r5-r2. and that situation has continued for over 100 battles (weirdly i didnt fall to r6 :) ) till lot of skilled players got to rank 1. then i just breezed over to r1 with only ~30 battles.

last season i only needed 115 battles to rank 1 (should have been with less than 100 battles, but didnt have luck). i had a skilled captain and i went in with second wave. didnt hurry to reach rank 1. i have just chosen to play with less skilled players in second wave and could easily carry.

this season i started late (few days ago) and carry most of the battles. am almost r7 and have 71% WR. just going nice and easy.

moral of the story. dont be in a hurry to reach r1. you have over 20 days left till ranked is over. set a goal of going 1 rank per day and just work towards it. playing under pressure just spoils your game.

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
922 posts
11,316 battles

Well, there are those evenings where certian players are online ...

yihedd74.jpg   tb6yjirr.jpg

Modder
3,888 posts
6,947 battles

Well, there are those evenings where certian players are online ...

Maybe, they just do not want to play with certain salty players? And prefer a quick loss to a game full of chat insults?