You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ryan220

Once a potato, always a potato

23 comments in this topic

Players
11 posts
250 battles

Hello all.

I logged on last night for the first time in a very long time. I took a break as I wasn't really very good at the game and never seemed to be getting better - in fact I think I was getting worse, especially as I crept higher up the Tiers (im dont know if my stats are visible as I dont know how to turn them on or off tbh). I used to use a  T6 Russian Cruiser, but I forget the name and didnt think to check last night. Id always get pummelled to scrap no matter how I varied my speed, heading or angle and I never yolo'd either.

Anyway, back to the original topic, I logged on and decided the best approach was to hop onto a T1 Cruiser (a US one Eerie? and and an RN one which I also forget)

I jump into a Co Op match and had a great time. I couldn't hit a barn door (especially on ships travelling at angles) and I was pretty much in the bottom three for every match but I really did have fun.

I'd rather hoped that in such a low Teir I might have done a bit better but "once a potato, always a potato" I guess.

I think I might start playing again (after watching some of the training vids) 

• Cool 5

Players
78 posts
15,973 battles

Take a look a iChase and Notser on aiming, especially the Captains Academy stuff. That will help straight away. Joining a clan and divisioning with someone more experienced will also help.

Good Luck o7

• Cool 2

Players
6,008 posts
7,043 battles

A lot of well made tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoRQa0D7yVpc05KETkgPsyZHIRZd980cO

Players
257 posts
350 battles

in fact I think I was getting worse, especially as I crept higher up the Tiers 

You have realised what the issue is, so you can only get better from now on in.

Fair play to you for addressing it and not blaming everything else :)

Hope you enjoy the game more now. 

Best of luck. 

• Cool 2

Players
13 posts
6,616 battles

hi there,

welcome back :) RU tier 6 cruiser means the budyonny which is well.... fragile! it's a ship in which you get punished heavily for making a mistake.

If you have that much trouble hitting hopping in Co-op is definitly a good idea, practise your gunnery there till you get a hang of it.

good youtube channels to watch and learn things from:

-ichase

-notser

-aerroon

-flamu

I'm sure I'm missing some

You had fun, that's the most important part and one thing... "once a potato always a potato", dont ever believe that, if you are willing to learn and improve you will get better! The real potatoes are those unwilling to learn anything or accept advise

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,507 posts

First, welcome back.

Second, now that you realized your problem, we can work on a solution.

You already identified the most prominent issue. You can't hit other ships. As prviously stated, it might be a good idea to go into the co-op mode and learn how your ship and your ships guns handle. This can be very different depending on the ship you are driving, and sometimes even the upgrades you mounted.

In co-op you are fighting against dumb AI opponents and it should be rather easy to find a target you can shoot at. Practice your gunnery skills until you start to feel comfortable. Then go back into random matches and try what you have learned. As players will act others then the AI you might need to adjust once more, but not for your aiming but in predicting their maneuvers.

If you start to use another ship, start the process all over. At one point you will notice patterns and you should be able to adjust faster and faster.

Also, like the others above mentioned, watch some training videos from your common streamers. Some are better then others but in their variety there should be something that will help you getting somewhere.

Players
533 posts
2,205 battles

Hello all.

I logged on last night for the first time in a very long time. I took a break as I wasn't really very good at the game and never seemed to be getting better - in fact I think I was getting worse, especially as I crept higher up the Tiers (im dont know if my stats are visible as I dont know how to turn them on or off tbh). I used to use a  T6 Russian Cruiser, but I forget the name and didnt think to check last night. Id always get pummelled to scrap no matter how I varied my speed, heading or angle and I never yolo'd either.

Anyway, back to the original topic, I logged on and decided the best approach was to hop onto a T1 Cruiser (a US one Eerie? and and an RN one which I also forget)

I jump into a Co Op match and had a great time. I couldn't hit a barn door (especially on ships travelling at angles) and I was pretty much in the bottom three for every match but I really did have fun.

I'd rather hoped that in such a low Teir I might have done a bit better but "once a potato, always a potato" I guess.

tier 1 is aactually very hard. In that it's just a mess. So it's hard to impact win wise. Move up to 4 or 5 or 6 as a learner and use that to learn the game.

[SCRUB]
Players
7,307 posts
9,577 battles

Nope.

Potatoes can grow. And not just into bigger potatoes, is what I want to say. As long as you intend to learn and are willing to accept that you make mistakes, then put some effort into trying to make less of them, you will become a better player and sooner rather than later you'll leave the potato salad and start enjoying the main dish!

Tier I btw is quite chaotic anyway, so it's really not a place to try and find yourself. Go for tier III or IV if you want an easy reference point, the game balance has matured to a degree sufficient enough that player skill makes a nice difference.

Alpha Tester
1,191 posts
8,079 battles

Nope.

Potatoes can grow. And not just into bigger potatoes, is what I want to say. As long as you intend to learn and are willing to accept that you make mistakes, then put some effort into trying to make less of them, you will become a better player and sooner rather than later you'll leave the potato salad and start enjoying the main dish!

Tier I btw is quite chaotic anyway, so it's really not a place to try and find yourself. Go for tier III or IV if you want an easy reference point, the game balance has matured to a degree sufficient enough that player skill makes a nice difference.

Yep definately go for tier 3-4 for learning

[LEWD]
Players
15 posts
9,475 battles

Firstly I'd just like to say welcome back. As the others have said try T3/4 to improve your skills, co-op isn't really helpful as the bots don't behave as players do, not the better players anyway. Watch the youtube vids to see how to aim, angle etc, but most of all have fun.

My main reason for posting though is to say well done to the other posters. I came in to this expecting to see you get roasted alive but was shocked to see helpful friendly comments. So once again well done to the others.

Players
332 posts
7,617 battles

Congratulations on a very honest post, we all started somewhere. Personally my first 1000 games was a total waste of time because I thought I knew better and treated it like a giant app game, I was sooooo wrong!

Players
11 posts
250 battles

Thanks all for the comments, links and advice.

I'll take a look at T3 and T4 later once Ive watched a few tutorial videos.

Given that I never really got ahead of the Russian Cruiser learning curve, would it be a good time to start a new nation from scratch?

The Royal Navy ships werent around when I last played and seeing as served in the RN it has quite a bit of appeal to me.

Quality Poster
3,367 posts
8,384 battles

If you want to take a look at other nations, maybe start the USN or IJN cruisers up to T4.

The RN cruisers are AP only and behave a bit different. I'd not label them "inexperienced player friendly".

Greetings

• Cool 1

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,507 posts

Up until tier IV I'd say you can safely try out all the lines until you find one that you like. Take your time and find something you are comfortable with.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
437 posts
2,980 battles

The Royal Navy ships werent around when I last played and seeing as served in the RN it has quite a bit of appeal to me.

This thread is refreshing to see on the forum. 

However i'd hold back from the RN cruisers. They are not an easy line, excellent in decent players hands but get punished immensely if you make a mistake and players who aren't as skilled will get trashed in them.

You would also have have difficulties hitting your target as the shell velocities are pretty low and the arcs go to the moon and back. Infact I think the shells from my Minotaur are still in flight from last weekend.

Players
13 posts
6,616 battles

as posted above, experiment and see what you like in the first tiers. Otherwise tell us a bit of what playstyle you like maybe we can then give better advise on what line to choose. For cruisers you need to have a lot of situational awareness and keep in mind that cruisers who show their broadside risk getting instantly deleted. At low tiers this isnt yet that noticeable since the first BB's tend to have god aweful accuracy (except nikolai!) but say from mid tiers on a cruiser that shows broadside to a battleship is asking for a quick ride back to port.

If I'd have to give you a few pointers to work on which are good for DD's, CA's and BB's in general it would be these three:

-situational awareness, look around you and at your minimap (enlarge it if you havent yet) as much as you can, which ship is spotted where, where is it moving towards, where are the dd's and so on

-practise your gunnery skills, obviously very important

-hammer this into your brain if you have not yet... DO NOT MOVE IN STRAIGHT LINES FOR LONG TIMES. change your course regurarly. It will save you from a lot of shells and torpedoes

Oh one final piece of advice I want to give you right now, if you go back into random for the moment stay away from T5-6 matchmaking wise they are in a pretty bad spot right now and often get matched up against T7 and T8

[GRKEN]
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles

I'll take a look at T3 and T4 later once Ive watched a few tutorial videos.

Given that I never really got ahead of the Russian Cruiser learning curve, would it be a good time to start a new nation from scratch?

Tier 3 in cruisers isn't very representive of cruisers play.

For example USN St. Louis and Soviet Bogatyr are real "oddballs"

And IJN Tenryo is basically half destroyer-half cruiser with German cruisers getting into more typical cruiser style at T5.

Tier 4 IJN Kuma and USN Phoenix are starting to be closer to cruiser play...

With lot better agility and speed than BBs while needing to avoid getting focused by BBs and showing side of the ship to others.

Also their gun range is enough for starting to practise 10+km range gunnery needed at next tiers.

And which is basically the playstyle of whole Soviet cruiser line starting from T5 Kirov....

(which gets citadelled by 130mm Soviet DD AP from 11½km if sitting to show side)

This gone goes through different things you need to consider for hitting from longer range.

Also nother has good guides.

Start of this has good explanation for how to visualize aiming at different angle targets:

For cruisers you need to have a lot of situational awareness and keep in mind that cruisers who show their broadside risk getting instantly deleted. At low tiers this isnt yet that noticeable since the first BB's tend to have god aweful accuracy (except nikolai!) but say from mid tiers on a cruiser that shows broadside to a battleship is asking for a quick ride back to port.

Lightly armored cruisers should be vary of showing side to any guns focused ship at closer range:

https://youtu.be/ehAj_dMrhmM?t=1m23s

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles

I would just mention that the rn line is quite difficult for inexperienced players. Too fragile. On top of that they only really start becoming good at tier 6.

For the rest I wish you good luck

[-5D2-]
Players
492 posts
3,644 battles

It's a tricky one, if you do decide to go RN don't give up and try something else because as has been said the RN kit is very different from anything else in the game. BUT if you do really want to give them a shot PM me and we can talk about the best was for you to get some experience and learn the basics of them. More than happy to help bud. :)

[YEEET]
Players
1,188 posts
11,273 battles

It took me ages to get my win rate over 50% - I was far too aggressive and if you die too soon, you don't pick up XP or damage. I therefore played ships which allowed me a bit of latitude for my stupidity - the St Louis is very good at this - not easy to citadel, your guns will always be pointing in the right direction as it has so many and it is slow , so you will find it more difficult to get miles ahead of your team. I played till I was acceptable in her - did my statistics not much good as the damage was not that high as no torpedoes and only small guns but my win rate went up.  Once I started topping the score card, I moved on - US battleships - the New Mexico is great - same formula - good armour, lots of guns and not too quick! I started flirting with other lines and types - I now almost exclusively play RN cruisers - easy to kill, low calibre guns and fast - and am enjoying them massively. On over 4000 games and still not sick if it! I really only play tier 7 with an odd foray to tier 8 and rarely 9. I also have a Fujin to play my first game in in case of slow loading!

Glad you enjoy playing - slow and steady would be my approach.

Players
411 posts
4,215 battles

The German BB line would be perfect for you, they are very forgiving and not too much multi tasking involved.

and its sooooo fun