You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Plutopilot

Ranked battles and AFK players

49 comments in this topic

[TROLL]
Players
6 posts
9,645 battles

In my opinion ranked matches that contain afk players, should be canceled and restarted 1 or 2 minutes after matchstart.

The afk player should be removed and given a penalty or a ban.  Maybe such a penalty/ban could be that he would not be able to join a ranked match for lets say 24 hours or so,

What say ye?

[TOAST]
Players
1,998 posts
25,653 battles

AFK players are annoying for both the team and the player involved.

Why would a player join a game with the intention not to take part, the player may have many reasons, Game crash, Cable disconnection, a personal emergency.

We have to get used to the odd AFK player now and then and carry on to win the game, you can report the player in-game (A waste of report, though).

Also, your penalties are way too harsh and very victorian.

[OM]
Beta Tester
1,051 posts
19,243 battles

solution:

if a player is AFK for over 60 seconds after match start (server knows it, because no input), match is cancelled and players are re-queued........

would be fair and an easy implementation

• Cool 5

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,507 posts

solution:

if a player is AFK for over 60 seconds after match start (server knows it, because no input), match is cancelled and players are re-queued........

would be fair and an easy implementation

I know a playr that sometimes needs up to 70 seconds to load into a match despite a farily decent PC and normally having a good connection. Only during primetime his connection get wonky and because of that he has to deal with increased loading times and short timeframes with massive lag. The internet connection is not his choice. It the best he can get at his location.

Your simple solution would put him and anyone playing with him into a frustrating situation.

If I were in a match with an AFK player, even in ranked, I much rather have the AFK player come back sometime to have a fresh ship at our disposal then to restart over and over again because of something I can do nothing about.

I could even start to see players doing it intentionally if they believe they have to play in an unfavorably matchup. What would be stopping them?

• Cool 1

Modder
3,894 posts
6,952 battles

This is easy to abused:

Your team is behind in ships and points?! Ok, just sail to the map edges and go afk. After 60 seconds the game will be canceled!

Wow! What a great idea! Never losing again! Thumps up!

That is another example why player should never be responsible for balancing the game that they are playing!

• Cool 1

Players
4,154 posts
9,221 battles

There are topics about AFKers from the begining of the Ranked Battles and WG does not care . No need for another pointless whine topic.

Wargaming does not care about AFK players in ranked, otherwise they would do something about that long time ago.

[BNBS]
Players
371 posts

This is easy to abused:

Your team is behind in ships and points?! Ok, just sail to the map edges and go afk. After 60 seconds the game will be canceled!

That is another example why player should never be responsible for balancing the game that they are playing!

The OP said 1 or 2 minutes from the "matchstart", which in most cases would be before any combat has even started.  Maybe you should read posts more carefully before wrongly assuming the worst possible scenario and firing off barely disguised insults at somebody else's comprehension of a matter.

[OM]
Beta Tester
1,051 posts
19,243 battles

This is easy to abused:

dude......i talk about MATCH START! and as soon the turrets move, this mechanic does not apply any more! then the player did a control input = not afk!

and it is NOT POSSIBLE to NOT input as soon you are in match. because your turrets DIRECTLY move!

as soon ur in the match, server gets data from you!

so....first read before you call someone an idiot!

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,507 posts

dude......i talk about MATCH START! and as soon the turrets move, this mechanic does not apply any more! then the player did a control input = not afk!

and it is NOT POSSIBLE to NOT input as soon you are in match. because your turrets DIRECTLY move!

You are mixing things up here.

AFK is someone who is loaded into the game but doesn't do anything. If he is loaded in, but not at his keyboard, his turrets will still move. AFK = Away from keyboard.

As you just excluded the AFK group from being affected by your wish, you simply want to punish everyone with a slow connection or low performance PC. With your suggestion they will never be able to get into a match. And you punish everyone who happens to be mixed up with them by the matchmake to be punished as well.

[BNBS]
Players
371 posts

AFK is someone who is loaded into the game but doesn't do anything. If he is loaded in, but not at his keyboard, his turrets will still move. AFK = Away from keyboard.

As you just excluded the AFK group from being affected by your wish, you simply want to punish everyone with a slow connection or low performance PC. With your suggestion they will never be able to get into a match. And you punish everyone who happens to be mixed up with them by the matchmake to be punished as well.

Make it on engine start then?

[OM]
Beta Tester
1,051 posts
19,243 battles

then link the mechanic to "move forward"

if a player does not push "W" for 2 minutes, its obvious, he is afk

Modder
3,894 posts
6,952 battles

Then I will alter my suggestion how to manipulate the games:

When you see a [OMNI], [OM], [TTT], [KKTM], [ALL] ... division or an exceptional solo player in the enemy team, then just do not touch the keyboard or mouse in the first two minutes (or just end the game via task manager when you see the team setups and wait 2min). The game will assume you are afk and will cancel the game.

Is this anyhow better?

and by the way...

Where did I called someone an idiot? You are just rude, sorry. If you cannot stand critism, than please, do not use an internet forum. Reading skill... you know... ;-)

Edited by principat121
  • Cool 2

[BNBS]
Players
371 posts

Then I will alter my suggestion how to manipulate the games:

When you see a [OMNI], [OM], [TTT], [KKTM], [ALL] ... division in the enemy team, then just do not touch the keyboard or mouse in the first two minutes. The game will assume you are afk and will cancel the game.

Is this anyhow better?

and by the way...

Where did I called someone an idiot? You are just rude, sorry. If you cannot stand critism, than please, do not use an internet forum. Reading skill... you know... ;-)

You really do have to read his posts more carefully.  If you were to game it like you said then he proposed that you would receive a penalty/ban.  Agreeing what would be a proportionate penalty or ban is an interesting debate.
Edited by Sybeck

Modder
3,894 posts
6,952 battles

But you will not get a ban from one time quiting the game!

But on the other hand you can easily avoid difficult enemy teams! Playing in a CV? One of the exceptional players is in the CV in the enemy team? So why not quiting and spening the time in a better matchup?

If you quite one in 100 games you will not get punished with a ban. But you also see one exceptional player in 1 of 100 games. With that mechanic you can just avoid playing against strong opponents.

Edited by principat121

Modder
3,894 posts
6,952 battles

Every game mechanic that could possible kill or cancel a proper match selected by the matchmaker will be abused!

Is that so hard to understand?

[TOAST]
Players
1,998 posts
25,653 battles

I would be so Pissed if the game restarted everytime a player was AFK.

And principat121 hit the nail on the head, most average players would go AFK if a couple of top clan players were on the enemy side :) Op's penalty system will be abused.

• Cool 1

[BNBS]
Players
371 posts

I would be so Pissed if the game restarted everytime a player was AFK.

And principat121 hit the nail on the head, most average players would go AFK if a couple of top clan players were on the enemy side :) Op's penalty system will be abused.

So if you can't win nobody else is allowed to win or start with an even chance to win, because they're scared of the opposition and getting their paint scraped and pants wet?  Noted.  So ranked seems to be made up of OMNIs and Sealclubbers everybody.

[TOAST]
Players
1,998 posts
25,653 battles

So if you can't win nobody else is allowed to win or start with an even chance to win, because they're scared of the opposition and getting their paint scraped and pants wet?  Noted.  So ranked seems to be made up of OMNIs and Sealclubbers everybody.

Exactly why I said the Ops theory is illogical, makes sense to just leave things as they are until a logical solution is found by WG, Does that make sense to you?:amazed:

• Cool 1

[BNBS]
Players
371 posts

Exactly why I said the Ops theory is illogical, makes sense to just leave things as they are until a logical solution is found by WG, Does that make sense to you?:amazed:

Oh for sure.  WG should totally craft their game mechanics around a bunch of pussies who are too scared to fight if somebody better than them is on the other side.  Unless ofc that same bunch of pussies are on the same side as the OMNIs in which case they should invent another mechanic, which ensures that the pussies don't lose when teamed up with OMNIs.  Yup, makes total sense to me.

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

Wait what.... you think it is 'acceptable' that people in a competitive game mode are constantly putting their team at a disadvantage willingly? 

I would ban people who load in late constantly from ranked, how about that?

ps sorry for not being able to bail you on on PT just now :hiding:

edit: ow and same applies to people who are AFK consistently. So, problem solved :popcorn:

Edited by mtm78

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,507 posts

Wait what.... you think it is 'acceptable' that people in a competitive game mode are constantly putting their team at a disadvantage willingly? 

I would ban people who load in late constantly from ranked, how about that?

ps sorry for not being able to bail you on on PT just now :hiding:

edit: ow and same applies to people who are AFK consistently. So, problem solved :popcorn:

Yes, I think it is acceptable to load in late. Even in a competitive mode like ranked battles.

The reason: For me it is only a game. Winning or losing doesn't matter much to me. As long as I enjoy the fight, and that can even be achieved when my team is one ship short, everything goes.

If someone loads in late but then does the best s/he can do to win the fight, while also enjoying the game, I will prefer that greatly over being rematched over a circumstance I have no influence upon.

And don't worry about the match on the PT. I knew I was lost the moment everyone joined the lemming train to go for A only to then stop short of entering it. I later saw that we still won and I at least made some XP on spotting damage.

[TOAST]
Players
1,998 posts
25,653 battles

Oh for sure.  WG should totally craft their game mechanics around a bunch of pussies who are too scared to fight if somebody better than them is on the other side.  Unless ofc that same bunch of pussies are on the same side as the OMNIs in which case they should invent another mechanic, which ensures that the pussies don't lose when teamed up with OMNIs.  Yup, makes total sense to me.

I can't for one second understand what you're trying to say, and you seem to have a thing about Pussies, which is kind of disturbing, do you get out much?

1263331925_crazy-cat.jpg

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

Yes, I think it is acceptable to load in late. Even in a competitive mode like ranked battles.

One time yes sure. Two times, no problem. But 3 times in a row being late and depriving your team of an equal chance? Nah no way.

And don't worry about the match on the PT. I knew I was lost the moment everyone joined the lemming train to go for A only to then stop short of entering it. I later saw that we still won and I at least made some XP on spotting damage.

I wanted to support you from closer up but without knowing what was coming and no good exit strategy I just couldn't risk it so I kept my distance. I had to complain a couple of times in game why the whole team was behind A but had no even capped it ( enemy had all 3 caps for some time ), but eventually enemy began being picked off, we pushed A and B and eventually won due to killing all enemy ships though we would have won by points anyway. After the start which looked bad, it was actually an ok battle. 

Players
1,814 posts
12,583 battles

IMO, being proved AFK several times in a short period should lead to the impossibility to play ranked for a while, or even until the end of the season. 

For many, ranked is one of the only game modes in which you must expect serious attitude, at least in ranks 5+, where people are most likely willing to get to rank 1. Being AFK on a regular basis is not acceptable, as your teammates often take it seriously.

Just respect. 

• Cool 3