Server Maintenance - January 18, 6:00 CET (5:00 UTC) Read more... ×
Server Maintenance - January 18, 6:00 CET (5:00 UTC) Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SexyCroat

Naming and Shaming

24 comments in this topic

[OSC]
Players
655 posts
12,255 battles

Ive seen couple of topics get closed by a moderator these days (from where he appeared is a mistery since this forum had none for a time now) with an explanation that there was naming and shaming in them, one in particular cought my eye, the one where a player wanted/or did (im not sure) to upload a replay of WG's game. So why is that naming and shaming?

Is it naming and shaming when i for example say that in my opinion, lets say Tuccy, doesnt do his job the way i think he should (dont think it just an example), or is ti naming and shaming when i say that couple of morons in last game tk each other and so on...

Id like an explanation, becouse we see alot of threads beeing closed due to breach of forum rules and i dont think that half of forumites even know why exactly, me included.....

• Cool 1

[TTTX]
Weekend Tester
444 posts
15,352 battles

No more printscreens with final results because we shaming players on last place or players from enemy team.

• Cool 2

[OSC]
Players
655 posts
12,255 battles

No more printscreens with final results because we shaming players on last place or players from enemy team.

good point, and also if someone deserves to be named why would it be a problem at all?

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,502 posts

It's so simple I'm confused some of you don't grasp the concept behind it.

Thread topic about rule breaking behavior: Screenhsots, videos, and replays are usually about that exact behavior and therefore name and shame

Thread topic about how awesome you, or someone else, are (without sarcasm or any attempt at hidden messages) then post your screenshots, replays, and videos as much as you like.

The context and intend create the forum rule breaking behavior.

• Cool 1

[OSC]
Players
655 posts
12,255 battles

It's so simple I'm confused some of you don't grasp the concept behind it.

Thread topic about rule breaking behavior: Screenhsots, videos, and replays are usually about that exact behavior and therefore name and shame

Thread topic about how awesome you, or someone else, are (without sarcasm or any attempt at hidden messages) then post your screenshots, replays, and videos as much as you like.

The context and intend create the forum rule breaking behavior.

pure bullsh*t, therefore 90% of topics are breaching the naming and shaming rule, unrealistic and as you put it its beyond me some of you dont grasp it...
  • Cool 1

[SLAPP]
Community Contributor
530 posts
12,383 battles

Explanation is: General Aladeen is running the forum 

You're an aladeen player

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,757 posts
10,656 battles

Frankly, I have yet to see a topic closed for naming and shaming where I had doubts whether it was actually the case. So I wouldn't say that the mods are overeager here. Common sense is important. I don't think we need very precise rules when common sense seems to be working well enough.

Players
1,428 posts

lets say Tuccy, doesnt do his job the way i think he should (dont think it just an example),

That is not only naming and shaming, but also not very smart.

1 st you don't know the exact jobdesciption of people.

2 nd you know nothing about the workload of those people.

3 th You don't know anything about what kind of instructions those people have.

etc.

So don't go there. If you are dissatisfied with something just blame WG and not specific employees.

• Cool 1

[HABIT]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts

Id like an explanation, becouse we see alot of threads beeing closed due to breach of forum rules and i dont think that half of forumites even know why exactly, me included.....

It is not the forumites that don't know the rules (or at least way less than half) but the players who jump on the forum and release their anger without bothering about the rules.

Naming and shaming (IMO) refers to calling out players by their specific user name for something they did, did not or supposedly are (and that in a negative way) so that in theory every member who reads the forum could message this player ingame with some mean things or harm him in other ways intentionally on the basis of a forum post.

Posts with a screenshot and censored user names about how bad this team/player was? --> Usually not a problem (at least regarding naming and shaming)

Posts with user names about how bad the players were? --> Most likely closed because naming and shaming.

Post about player X because he did a good game? --> Usually not a problem (at least regarding naming and shaming)

Post about player Y because he totally screwed up? --> Most likely gets closed because naming and shaming.

What is so hard to understand?

[OLDG]
Players
309 posts
5,782 battles

That is not only naming and shaming, but also not very smart.

1 st you don't know the exact jobdesciption of people.

2 nd you know nothing about the workload of those people.

3 th You don't know anything about what kind of instructions those people have.

etc.

So don't go there. If you are dissatisfied with something just blame WG and not specific employees.

It's also a breach of the "no discussion of moderator decisions/policies" rule. The rules really are quite simple to understand and follow.

Beta Tester
545 posts
4,184 battles

So when you put picture of the battle and there is some forum member on last spot in end game result - that is naming and shaming  

BUT

when half of the forum put your statistic ( picture WOWS today - mostly put out of contex always )  to make a retard or potato out of you that is OK !?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!

very nice, very nice..

Edited by VooDooZG

[WG-EU]
WG Team
419 posts
1,286 battles

Hey guys!

As you know we have a new set of forum rules which can be found here. We also have some new moderators roaming the forums to ensure that the new rules are followed and everyone (except trolls) have a pleasant experience discussing the game.

We might have new rules, however the naming and shaming rule didn't change. Players are still not allowed to create topics and discuss the actions of a specific player or players with the intention to make them look bad, shame them, insult or bully them etc.

As others in the thread already pointed out, context is everything. Rule of thumb: As long as the intent of the post is positive, it is allowed. However, if the intent is to bully, shame, insult etc. then it is  not allowed.

As always, the moderators evaluate each topic and post on a case by case basis and take the context into account when making their decision. 

I hope this clears it up :)

• Cool 4

Players
257 posts
350 battles

pure bullsh*t, therefore 90% of topics are breaching the naming and shaming rule, unrealistic and as you put it its beyond me some of you dont grasp it...

90%? 

Where did you pull that stat from? 

It's very simple (even for simple folk).

1: If a post or screenshot/replay has players names in it and the post portrays anybody negatively, it's against the forum rules. 

2: Goto 1

[OSC]
Players
655 posts
12,255 battles

90%? 

Where did you pull that stat from? 

It's very simple (even for simple folk).

1: If a post or screenshot/replay has players names in it and the post portrays anybody negatively, it's against the forum rules. 

2: Goto 1

guess im very simple then... does me saying that you are a newb portray you negatively?

Players
257 posts
350 battles

guess im very simple then... does me saying that you are a newb portray you negatively?

Of course not? 

You are a stranger on the internet whose opinion means nothing, this is only a forum and a computer game. 

People are free to say whatever they like, as long as it's within the rules of the forum they are posting on. 

[OSC]
Players
655 posts
12,255 battles

so the basics are its ok to insult people as long as you dont use nasty words... hmm nice, omw to learn non-nasty words

[WG-EU]
WG Team
419 posts
1,286 battles

As I said in my previous comment, context is everything. The word newbie usually doesn't have a negative connotation unlike "noob" for example and depending on the context it could be totally okay or slightly negative. However this is not really naming and shaming, we are talking about insults and provocation at this point. 

so the basics are its ok to insult people as long as you dont use nasty words... hmm nice, omw to learn non-nasty words

It is definitely not okay to insult someone by using "non-nasty words". It is not okay to insult people, period. But again, we are not talking about naming and shaming, but insults and provocation.

[SCRUB]
Players
1,975 posts

Do drugs and alcohol fall under 'mature content' category?

You know, all those 'vodka' jokes...

Players
6,241 posts
14,480 battles

Is it naming and shaming, if I as Takao Coordinator say: "Player xy doesn't treat Takao (And/or Kongou-sama, Haru Haru, Hotaru and so on) well?"

[HABIT]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts

So when you put picture of the battle and there is some forum member on last spot in end game result - that is naming and shaming  

BUT

when half of the forum put your statistic ( picture WOWS today - mostly put out of contex always )  to make a retard or potato out of you that is OK !?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!

very nice, very nice..

Naming and shaming is not just about forum members, but ALL players. No matter whether they visit the forum or not.

Regarding the WoWS statistics... Honestly, most players just ask for it. I usually see the following happen over and over again:

Player comes to the forum with his first post about "All noobs, I always lose but carry the hardest, torpedoes OP, etc". And when you look at his stats he has a bad win rate, average damage below the server average and an overall sub par performance (plus bad grammar in 9/10 cases). How is it bad to point out that a) his claims are totally nonsense and b) he should work on his own skills? And if you are a potatoe and make an above mentioned kind of thread... I'd say the community (or at least the more sarcastic and stats oriented part) should be allowed to call you out on your bullsh gibberish. And this includes having a look at your statistics and putting them up for discussion. And I rarely see any stats put out of context since the most used ones are win rate, average damage and survival rate where you can hardly have any wrong context.

It is easy: Ask politely for reasons why something happens and for help. No matter your stats you will get mostly polite and helpful answers back. Post like the above mentioned potatoe and get treated like one.

Alternatively you could hide your stats or post with a second account. But then you shouldn't expect any helpful comments at all.

Players
1,058 posts
7,676 battles

Is it naming and shaming, if I as Takao Coordinator say: "Player xy doesn't treat Takao (And/or Kongou-sama, Haru Haru, Hotaru and so on) well?"

Are you as a Takao Coordinator (whatever that is) making a new pointless thread about it, just to state that opinion of yours? Is not treating Takao well even regarded as something negative here? Why are you saying it and what is the situation that caused it to happen? Context is important factor in making the thread deletion/ban decision.

If you are discussing with people based on what they say here on the forum (and something other public like stats), then you shouldn't have a problem with the naming and shaming rule.

Sign in to follow this