You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Kazomir

Should each class have seperate skill trees?

23 comments in this topic

Players
1,458 posts
2,640 battles

Hi,  

The current and updated skill tree is all good. Provides some variety and choice and RPF was not the doomsday weapon it was made out to be.

That stated, I am of the belief that to have true class roles and specializations that differentiate each class, much like in an MMO, each class should have seperate skill tree of their own. With some skills being universal like CE.

This way you can specialize a cruiser to be a flanker and ambusher of DDs, close fleet support, or damage control and brawling profiles, each specialization coming with different consumables and perks, respectively radar/ sonar and panic AA / Heal. This is an example which may not be viable.

Sure enough different nations will still keep some national perks of the ships too.

It just irks me to find CV perks on my DD captain.

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,088 posts
14,054 battles

I would personally prefer it if War Gaming bound captains to classes instead of nations, where your suggestion would work excellently. Alas, you can only add so many classes but you can add as many nations as you like so War Gaming would probably reason that they would make more money if they retained their current system.

[BAD-A]
[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
1,673 posts
15,432 battles

Hi,  

The current and updated skill tree is all good. Provides some variety and choice and RPF was not the doomsday weapon it was made out to be.

And I got shot down and flamed endlessly when I pointed this out pre change.... I hate to say I told you all so.... But I did.................

[-DSA-]
Players
2,711 posts
7,832 battles

Captains are universal, so skills are universal, too. In addition, WG already has problems to find 32 reasonable skills; no need to make them look for even more...

[GRKEN]
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles

You want WG to cook up more badly thought skills than wallhack and giving light cruiser HE heavy cruiser level penetration without associated slower rate of fire?

Beta Tester
622 posts
10,945 battles

Premium ships would then need to be class specific for captains which is not such a good idea.

You get class specific consumables with each ship, maybe they could introduce class specific upgrades as these would be tied to the ship not the captain.

Players
748 posts
11,447 battles

RPF was not the doomsday weapon it was made out to be.

Its broken, play it on ranked, it just blocks any kind of flanking or ambush.
  • Cool 2

[NED]
Players
4,201 posts
11,706 battles

Like the ideas OP. Some more specialization would add greatly to the experience IMO. I would also like to see some more nation specific perks. nothing too unbalancing of course.

And yes the RPF was a glass water hurricane in my opinion as well. I tried it twice then quickly kicked it off when I still could reset cheaply. I think it's a complete waste of 4 points. I can remember like 2 or 3 situations in which I really liked to have it. But retrospecting those were all my own fault by not paying enough attention to the MM... I could have known I was being flanked all those times. So the reward was a nice set of torpedo ammo! And if the reds have RPF it actually is helping me a great deal. When being RPF-ed I know I am the closest ship to that one and I can respond in advance. It's giving me absolute free information.

[SCRUB]
Weekend Tester
430 posts

I'd rather keep the ability to move cruiser commanders on premium battleships, thanks. :) I'm afraid that a change like this would automatically exclude that possibility.

[BTS]
Players
1,064 posts
4,867 battles

The new skill tree destroyed the fun for me, notably for DDs which was my favourite class. With the old skill tree I could have a flexible build and feel confident that my capt would be fine in most situations, and now I have to excessively specialize my captains and enter each battle with the disturbing feeling that my build may be unfit for the developing situation. It's that kind of crappy uneasiness that you feel when taking out a fully AA specced ship: will there be a CV in game?

Players
1,458 posts
2,640 battles

And I got shot down and flamed endlessly when I pointed this out pre change.... I hate to say I told you all so.... But I did.................

I did made a thread about it too and I got flamed too. Sucks mate.

Players
1,458 posts
2,640 battles

Captains are universal, so skills are universal, too. In addition, WG already has problems to find 32 reasonable skills; no need to make them look for even more...

They are having trouble because they try to make every skill viable on any kind of ship. This is simply not possible.

[CU]
Players
298 posts
3,444 battles

I like your idea but it just wouldn't work with Premiums. The ability to cross train is a huge advantage.

[W_I_G]
Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles

I did made a thread about it too and I got flamed too. Sucks mate.

sry, but it is a broken skill. in gearing i have taken flanking ijn dd-s that i wouldnt normally go for just cause i knew they were there. it is easy to sandwich them between you and the border with RPF.

in hands of skilled players it is downright broken. just cause most of the players dont know how to use it doesnt mean it isnt broken skill.

so in general it is mandatory skill for almost all dd except russian ones. so that means you must select RPF as 14 point skill otherwise you are at huge disadvantage against DD that have RPF.

[CPC]
[CPC]
Quality Poster
2,113 posts
4,222 battles

The new skill tree is not bad but the problem is that it is only so that BBs have really different builds ...

CV => well we have real no choice until your captaain is level 15

DD => the only variation is picking BFT, DE or TAE at level 3

Cruisers : not much variation too.

[-DSA-]
Players
2,711 posts
7,832 battles

They are having trouble because they try to make every skill viable on any kind of ship. This is simply not possible.

There are already some one-class-skills, especially for carriers; I see no problem in this. Most of the useful skills are usefull in quite many ships - for different reasons - so they do work fine, don't they? And with a 19-point captain you can take about 6-8 skills, so 32 (minus some no-gos) is quite a lot to choose from.

I don't see the advantage of your proposal. I only see the disadvantage that I could not take captains from one class to another.

Players
408 posts
4,215 battles

no.  its fine the way it is. I like being able to build a multitude of ships the way I want to regardless of what Flamu or Notser say because I play differently than they do.  However as mentioned before, it's silly to propose than a captain from one nation can't possibly captain a ship from another nation.  That's the most absurd thing in this game.  

[HAVEN]
Players
719 posts
6,164 battles

I would like that tbh but feel it will not happen because having 4 classes and not including BC for example would require WG to create 32 skills for each class and they already have enough bad ideas anyways.

Possibly they could add a few skills unique for classes such as if you get to 19pts then the 20th would be a unique skill for that class and they would be 4 to choose from or they make another 8 to put at the side of the current skill tree but they are skills only for the class that your capt is in.

I would love more useful skills but too many will water it down and how many will be actually useful?

Players
1,806 posts
5,762 battles

Instead of each class I'd separate skill trees between CVs/the rest. Some skills are bad on certain classes, but even with that they work on any DD, CL/CA or BB class to some extent. And then there's CVs, that have a few skills that actually work for them. If WG would make a specific skill tree for CVs they would have more room to do more skills for CVs while making room for more skills for the rest of the ships by taking out the "CV only" skills.

You want WG to cook up more badly thought skills than wallhack and giving light cruiser HE heavy cruiser level penetration without associated slower rate of fire?

At the risk of that, but still.

[-DSA-]
Players
2,711 posts
7,832 battles

The skill system is quite ok as it is, the problem is the quality of the skills: Some are pretty useless, some are so powerful that you must take them. WG could try to fix that. In general, a skill can still have different effects on different ship classes, like "Camo Expert"; there could be more skills like that (e. g. integrate "Emergency Takeoff" (which is quite stupid) into "Fire Prevention", or make "Survivability Expert" with different numbers for each class).

• Cool 1

[IDDQD]
Players
1,593 posts
8,664 battles

That is just railroading.

Everyone should have a choice how to train their captains.

Like its not 90% using same most effective build

Players
147 posts
3,495 battles

The skill system is quite ok as it is, the problem is the quality of the skills: Some are pretty useless, some are so powerful that you must take them. WG could try to fix that. In general, a skill can still have different effects on different ship classes, like "Camo Expert"; there could be more skills like that (e. g. integrate "Emergency Takeoff" (which is quite stupid) into "Fire Prevention", or make "Survivability Expert" with different numbers for each class).

This is excelent idea. I have been for a long time proposing this :)