Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
VeryRisky

Not entirely sure where I'm going with this

16 comments in this topic

[WJDE]
Alpha Tester
152 posts
962 battles

Old Alpha tester here but didn't play enough to get good.  I've found myself playing more and more recently so it's my main game at the moment.   

Now I'm enjoying it but a quick glace at my stats will show I'm not really that strong other that occasional success in CVs.   This makes me think that I perhaps shouldn't go past tier 6 to get the Pensacola at this time and instead work at tier 6 and below.    I'm at tier 3/4 in most lines save for having the New York (and I'm not enjoying BB play so far) and the Independence and Cleveland (elited).  

I guess I need to work out what I need to learn.  Angling is a bit of a mystery ( I'm at the try-not-to -show-broadside stage),  I don't manage a lot of citadels when shooting AP and I spend too much time zoomed in (and unscheduled beach visits).  I do have decent games where I look semi-competent and have noticed I have had a few "best games " in various ships recently but I don't think every think is going to get together too fast.

Any suggestions?  Which ships/lines should  I pick on.  Or what skills do I need to add?

• Cool 24

[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,045 posts
7,552 battles

See, this is a great example of how to approach unsatisfying results. What can I do better and where can I learn that. Have a like, just for that reason alone.

I would suggest you have a go at the Japanese cruisers. Not specifically because they are good, but you quickly get to Furutaka, a ship that will teach you better zoom control and angling. The reload is too long to just sit there in zoom, but short enough that you don't have to fiddle your thumbs. Also it comes at a relatively low tier. Too bad T5 is a bad tier at this time. And that might be the cause of your woes at the moment. You have struggled through T5-6 and it has been rough. Likely you faced a lot of T7-8 matches, which is a hard thing if you are as yet rather inexperienced. Pensacola might actually be a lot better now for you. She just got a significant detection buff and she is T7. However, Ranked is going on so T7 is low population in Randoms for a month longer, this can result in poorer matchmaking with a lot of T9 games.

Other than that, I suggest having a look at iChase and Flamu for some insights into how to play the ships, Notser might also be a good choice, but mainly for destroyers. They might not specifically point out the things you want, but all matches with similar ships will certainly feature important lessons to be learned.

Edited by Unintentional_submarine
  • Cool 3

[DSW]
Players
3,794 posts
7,737 battles

See, this is a great example of how to approach unsatisfying results. What can I do better and where can I learn that. Have a like, just for that reason alone.

indeed. make that two.

I would suggest you have a go at the Japanese cruisers. Not specifically because they are good, but you quickly get to Furutaka, a ship that will teach you better zoom control and angling. The reload is too long to just sit there in zoom, but short enough that you don't have to fiddle your thumbs. Also it comes at a relatively low tier. Too bad T5 is a bad tier at this time. And that might be the cause of your woes at the moment. You have struggled through T5-6 and it has been rough. Likely you faced a lot of T7-8 matches, which is a hard thing if you are as yet rather inexperienced. Pensacola might actually be a lot better now for you. She just got a significant detection buff and she is T7. However, Ranked is going on so T7 is low population in Randoms for a month longer, this can result in poorer matchmaking with a lot of T9 games.

Japanese cruisers are indeed a pretty good place to start - they just kinda do everything decently well. They have both good HE and reasonable AP (helped in that department by being the first to get 8inch guns with the Furutaka - if that ship doesn't teach you to aim and use AP effectively I don't know which one would...). On the other hand, Sub is also right about T5 and T6 being a bit of a struggle these days - there's absolutely no shame in sticking to T4 for a bit longer to get your confidence and experience up. I wouldn't really advise to make the jump to T7 too quickly, especially not into the Pensa - it may have gotten a concealment buff, but it's still one big floating citadel with very weak armour... Doesn't make it a bad ship, but a rather challenging one. On the other hand, if there's one cruiser that will teach you not to show broadside... :)

Other than that, I suggest having a look at iChase and Flamu for some insights into how to play the ships, Notser might also be a good choice, but mainly for destroyers. They might not specifically point out the things you want, but all matches with similar ships will certainly feature important lessons to be learned.

and again good advice. I'd suggest finding one or two youtubers whose style you like for pure gameplay, but whether one likes the guy or not I consider iChase's Captain's Academy series a must watch for any aspiring captain that actually wants to learn what he's doing instead of just complaining about how bad and unbalanced the game is - i.e. you! :D

A good episode to start at is this one - the ones before it tend to be a bit outdated, and thus may be pretty confusing:

Beta Tester
231 posts
4,456 battles

A few tips because you asked very nicely :

German BBs are fun and pretty easy to play, if you angle and not brutally yolo. I would call them user-friendly all around. If I would start playing BBs i would choose them atm.

Use concealment upgrades wherever possible.

Dont shoot from the highest zoom. Avoid it if possible. Use only if totally unsure where enemy goes. Applies for all ship classes, especially BBs.

Dont camp, but don´t let your team tank for you, find a balance. This applies even in a DD and for cruisers, too.

Use the shift key for shifting between internal/external view. Set the zoom in each position at the start of the match. If you only use shift you never need to change it again. When looking around, always use the right mouse button as this will keep your guns where they are, allowing for a quick lookaround.

Sometimes reversing is more productive then fleeing full force and showing broad. Situational. Applies mostly for BBs but for cruisers in extreme circumstances, too.

If you are concealed, plan your shots. Use all guns. Wait for them to be available. Shoot single shots for more accuracy, situational. 

Have fun with this relaxing game, which can be totally enjoyed for free. Unless you really want everything, don´t need to spend a dime. But i´d suggest supporting the developer. Fast training a captain to another ship is handy and WG needs money, too :)

edit, and most important : play only with constant fps. Not under 60. Any dip will mess with your brain and make you artificially bad.

Edited by el_bloom

[NED]
Players
4,201 posts
11,706 battles

Hmmm your stats aren't that terrible OP. Just be careful not to rush the tiers. Just go slow and learn each ship inside out. Angling? It's like punching a screw through wood: easier on a straight 90' angle than any other 1: the more you keep an angle to the enemy, the more metal his shells have to pass to hurt you. That's the rule of thumb. Make your shift key (zoom out) a second nature. When reloading in most ships you can't fire anyway. Keep looking around you: if only for those islands jumping in front of your boat! And make it even more a seond nature to keep checking the minimap. I zoomed the MM in to about 1/7th of my whole screen so I won't miss anything.

Players
527 posts

I don't like all this angling business myself either. As pointed out above by el_bloom reversing is sometimes better than turning around. It is situational, the reason why it is situational is that a BB will stop dead in the water for a very long time making you a sitting duck. So when there are either torpedo bombers or DD's close by you have to guess which is the least bad option and make your call based on that.

Beta Tester
652 posts
4,359 battles

I don't like all this angling business myself either. As pointed out above by el_bloom reversing is sometimes better than turning around. It is situational, the reason why it is situational is that a BB will stop dead in the water for a very long time making you a sitting duck. So when there are either torpedo bombers or DD's close by you have to guess which is the least bad option and make your call based on that.

Problem with turning at the higher tiers is its an instant deletion. I get this alot with Iowa (I suck in her), just get that impossible choice: carry on and perish under HE rainbows, or turn around and get vaporized by a Yamato :sceptic:

Players
527 posts

Problem with turning at the higher tiers is its an instant deletion. I get this alot with Iowa (I suck in her), just get that impossible choice: carry on and perish under HE rainbows, or turn around and get vaporized by a Yamato :sceptic:

I know that (sinking) feeling... Wish someone would come up with a good solution. Of course, one approach is not to approach the other team but stay back (camping) and sniping. But brawling can often be more effective, at least when playing German BBs. I had Iowa and used to try the same thing, tanking bow on and using just the two forward turrets. But, as you say, a bow on BB is a very easy target for HE spammers. Reverse.. and get 5 torpedoes to your side. Turn and get citadelled...

Players
503 posts
1,785 battles

Also, regarding getting citadels.. (do mind, I'm not an amazing player only average scum)

In general I try to aim for the waterline beneath guns or the chimneys of the ship and it works reasonably well. Do mind that some ships are much more apt at getting citadels with, usually those with heavy and accurate rifles like the Molotov (Molly is a monster against broadside cruisers). Also that some ships are much more apt at getting citadelled, there's a reason that I alsways love to play against Nurnbergs.

However, remember that citadels aren't only BB and CA territory if you play DD and someone is at extreme close range and showing broadside feel free to show him it's a bad idea (especially in US DDs). Not too many matches ago I had an Atlanta rush my smoke from behind an island while spotted, loaded ap, dodged the expected torps and fired two salvos of freedom shells. 6 citadels and dead Atlanta.

[GRKEN]
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles

I don't manage a lot of citadels when shooting AP

Remember that citadel is below smoke stacks:

https://youtu.be/ehAj_dMrhmM?t=1m23s

Armor viewer can be used for checking armor thickness and location/size of citadel of different ships.

And if that "nail doesn't sink into wood" having bigger hammer helps.

But against flimsier targets bigger hammer can be bad thing...

At least IJN 203mm AP appears to over penetrate lightest armored cruisers like Kirov from short range and straight angle.

BB shells can actually penetrate small distance of water to hit lighter armored ship's citadel underwater so that gives some help if dispersion doesn't spread shells for "statistically perfect accuracy" of too low and too high

Any suggestions?  Which ships/lines should  I pick on.  Or what skills do I need to add?

For learning gunnery/leading you'll want to use something which reloads fast or reasonably fast.

Obviously needing to wait half minute before next shot isn't good for learning.

And enabling that "Alternative battle interface something" is useful because half the aiming revolves around how long it takes for shells to reach aiming point.

Other part being remembering how fast different ships move to have chance for about correct lead.

Gremyashchy with AFT is actually quite decent for practising gunnery with up to 10s flight time with quite cruiser like trajectory.

But because builders forgot to install turning system for those turrets it needs Expert Marksman and BB like planning ahead to do the part of exterminating enemy destroyers:

Always plan route ahead anticipating to which direction you need to shoot and think ahead routes around islands.

And try to check minimap periodically for possible islands preparing to ambush you/to maintain planned route while shooting something.

Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,756 battles

Old Alpha tester here but didn't play enough to get good.  I've found myself playing more and more recently so it's my main game at the moment.   

Now I'm enjoying it but a quick glace at my stats will show I'm not really that strong other that occasional success in CVs.   This makes me think that I perhaps shouldn't go past tier 6 to get the Pensacola at this time and instead work at tier 6 and below.    I'm at tier 3/4 in most lines save for having the New York (and I'm not enjoying BB play so far) and the Independence and Cleveland (elited).  

I guess I need to work out what I need to learn.  Angling is a bit of a mystery ( I'm at the try-not-to -show-broadside stage),  I don't manage a lot of citadels when shooting AP and I spend too much time zoomed in (and unscheduled beach visits).  I do have decent games where I look semi-competent and have noticed I have had a few "best games " in various ships recently but I don't think every think is going to get together too fast.

Find someone who knows the game better than you play some divsion so that other player can see what your mistakes might be. Do some talking and reflections on how to change yoru playstyle and approach to playing the game and it should make you a better player. You can always look me up in the game if you want to and I have a TS3 server running for discussing.

[WJDE]
Alpha Tester
152 posts
962 battles

Thanks all your responses.  To be honest I always come into games without any grand ideas about my own skills and anyway it's more use to concentrate on your own mistakes rather that demand that all the other players change or the devs build a new game to suit you!

In response and in no particular order:

• Yeah I could try IJN CAs.   I lucked an Atago with my only Christmas Crate purchase and I'm retraining the 10pt captain for the Tenryu now.
  • I'm wary on the Pensacola but I do have spare free XP to avoid the stock grinds (inc 150k from supercontainers I think) I will buy it on the next discount but will not play it immediately.   I might keep trying with the Cleveland for a now.
  • Yep I do a have a bout 11 skill-points on the Gremlin and it is one of my favourites but I don't use the fire from smoke enough.
  • I was aiming waterline centre where possible.   I might play a bit more with lower tier premiums to get with the aiming.
  • I will try and look at some of the YouTube guides but generally when sat at the PC with no RL work to do I'd rather play than watch so I don't watch streamers.
  • TS I have but won't be using as I don't want to get blamed for waking up the kids.
  • Cool 1

Players
944 posts
5,328 battles

• I will try and look at some of the YouTube guides but generally when sat at the PC with no RL work to do I'd rather play than watch so I don't watch streamers.

The problem is, this game is less of a skill based shooter and more of a knowledge type of game (such as RTS). It's all about knowing what enemies can fire at you and what their weakness is. It's not a game where you just point and click. If you don't watch YouTubers and streamers there is only one other source for your knowledge: you. And this only works if you have all or the majority of the ships in the game so you know first hand what they can do.

Flamu streams every day. He analyses a lot. You don't always have to agree with what he says, but it's the attitude of thinking about what takes place in battle is really helpful. He is also good at being salty.

[CHN-V]
Players
4 posts
6,487 battles

Thanks all your responses.  To be honest I always come into games without any grand ideas about my own skills and anyway it's more use to concentrate on your own mistakes rather that demand that all the other players change or the devs build a new game to suit you!

In response and in no particular order:

• Yeah I could try IJN CAs.   I lucked an Atago with my only Christmas Crate purchase and I'm retraining the 10pt captain for the Tenryu now.
  • I'm wary on the Pensacola but I do have spare free XP to avoid the stock grinds (inc 150k from supercontainers I think) I will buy it on the next discount but will not play it immediately.   I might keep trying with the Cleveland for a now.
  • Yep I do a have a bout 11 skill-points on the Gremlin and it is one of my favourites but I don't use the fire from smoke enough.
  • I was aiming waterline centre where possible.   I might play a bit more with lower tier premiums to get with the aiming.
  • TS I have but won't be using as I don't want to get blamed for waking up the kids.

- Pepsi is not that scary (especially after recent buff), to be fair no ship is if you know how to adjust your play style to suit them.

- Atago is a very good ship, but personally I don't think high tier cruisers are new player friendly. Gneisnau and Sharnhorst are much easier to get on with, they have much better HP, cruiser-like reload/speed and torpedoes. More room for you to make mistakes.

- Captain skills selection is useful to an extend but still is very much dictated by your play style. Meaning even if you have a 19-point captain, the contribution to your exp and win rate won't be that noticeable (if you don't adjust your playstyle according to the map/situation/enemy).

- Looking at your profile your aiming is already quite good. Plus this is RNG based anyway, so don't worry too much about it. Do remember change the aiming point between using HE and AP.

- I learned so much about how to play this game by watching Flamu and Aerroon. I think between them 2 you can almost find reviews to every single ship in the game. Especially Flamu he started doing the ranked analysis in this season for different T7 ships and I believe this is the tier you are trying to grind to as well? 

- Personally I don't learn a lot from teaming up with other players, mostly did it to relax and have fun with mates as I have kid myself so time is another constraint. 

The other point I wanted to suggest is get the latest Aslain mod which can help you in a way to improve your game, it can also enable the replay and training room functions which are more important if you want to improve your game. You can then watch your own replays to see what went wrong. and test stuff out in training room with your own ship.

Anyway, enjoy and you are more than welcome to division with me on EU if you fancy a game.

Edited by feilaosi

[GRKEN]
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles

Pensacola is very different from Cleveland changing from fast firing light cruiser guns to slower firing, but lot harder punching heavy cruiser guns.

Also Cleveland's almost completely below waterline situated and for cruiser well armored citadel changes to "USS Citadela" with worser armor than T5 Furutaka.

On the positive side Pepsicola isn't anymore less stealthier than Scharnhorst and shell trajectory is more comparable to other nation cruisers.

And not relying much on smoke firing especially in Soviet DD is good practise.

Smoke attracts fish and especially later Soviet DDs aren't small and agile for last second turns.

Also starting from Tier 7 match you can meet cruisers (Atlanta/Belfast/Indianapolis) with radar which will spot through smoke outside normal detectability range.

And already before that especially German cruisers have Hydroacoustic search whose range becomes threat if sitting carelessly in smoke.

You can find ranges from here:

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Consumables

Roughly remembering those is good in any ship relying on stealth/ambushing.

Another thing in smoke is remembering to plan ahead so that when smoke disappears you don't end up detected by dangerous for you enemy or bow towards enemy closing to detection range.

With premium smoke get ready to move when there's 1:50 left in cooldown for next smoke.

Though for USN DDs smoke time is longer, and use premium smoke and damage control in DDs.

This game is simply lot more about planning ahead and anticipating actions in scale of minutes instead of that fast reflex shooting.

As for Gremlin I'm the right person to ask for hints.

For 11 point captain skills I would go for:

Preventive Maintenance:

- So that there's only high risk of things starting to break down when shells start falling. (plan ahead assuming first hit can disable engine/rudder)

Expert Marksman:

- Half starved to dead gulag slaves hand cranking turrets need steroids and without regular facing of radar ships planning ahead is way better than Last Stand.

Superintendent:

- Extra smoke and speed boost, though premium smoke needed anyway for faster "reload" might be enough taking Basic Firing Training for more dakka instead.

Concealment Expert:

- For better capping/DD hunting/torping/stealthfiring...

11th point could go to Priority Target unless you don't want want to use doubloons for respeccing when getting more skill points.

Elite XP which is gotten by playing fully ranked up captain can be also used for skill points reset but you likely don't have that.

And until you have AFT you can leave AA on because planes have already spotted you anyway before AA opens fire.

Beta Tester
1,980 posts
2,160 battles

Very nice post, OP!

And good advice all around. I can't add a whole lot to the previous posts other than this: WoWs is learning by doing. Everything gets easier with practice, even aiming for citadels. And even then, there will just be those days when you can't seem to land a decent hit no matter how many games you play. That's normal, at least for the normal kind of player. For me, the most telling improvement over time is that I am slowly becoming better at reading the game. At present, this is mostly restricted to a better post-battle sense of exactly what I did wrong and what sent me to the bottom - but now and then, I have actually been able to turn a hopeless situation around.

So keep at it, Captain! I look forward to seeing you on the sea of battle! :honoring:

Sign in to follow this