You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SHDRKN4792

Thank you for Mutsu, WG.

17 comments in this topic

Players
1,806 posts
5,762 battles

Every now and then this game has questionable "improvements" and such and everytime the forums flood with threads of whines and complaints. I'll admit that from time to time I rise the pitchfork myself, but this time it's different. I for once I felt the need to bring the rare thread of someone who's happy about something in this game. And all of this is because of the new IJN BB, Mutsu.

For a bit of context, I learn what I can about this game and it's mechanics, I can see what makes a ship OP or not and I appreciate the strengths of good ships in their respective roles an I have to admit that some premium ships are questionably strong even if you expect to get something for a ship you paid for but well, that's not really the point now, just that I bough quite a few premium ships just because of that, even if I'm not that competitive (I don't even touch ranked that much).

But that's what I really like about Mutsu. Mutsu has it's strengths, mostly 8 big ones, of 410 mm at T6, which it's really awesome to start with. However I love that for once, even with that it's not a "P2W" ship. Mutsu has it's own gimmicky toys, like the few torps but they aren't that game changing because the fact that you can only can launch two at the time, one by one and how punished the use of them can be. The torps of Mutsu are what they are supposed to be, a secondary and extremely situational weapon, and I really like how WG managed to accomplish that without leaving much option for you to abuse them.

Mutsu has it's drawbacks too. It's like a stock Nagato, the armor is thinner, it's not like those really tough German BBs. And the AA is... well, close to none existant. But I like that, it adds a little challenge and the armor is good enough if you angled, which I really enjoy. A ship that rewards if you know how to properly play a BB but punishes you otherwise for your mistakes.

Another thing I'd like to point out that I like about Mutsu it's the so debated situation about T6 being uptiered a lot. A thing that almost every regular T6 ship suffers and for the sake of comparison Warspite suffers too as a premium ship. And here's where the "oh so broken 410 mm guns at T6" save Mutsu as a premium ship and makes her a ship to think about buying. The 410 mm guns give Mutsu a chance to fight back the T7 and T8 she'll have to face, shells aren't better than the BBs of higher tier, I'm pretty sure Mutsu uses stock Nagato shells, they lack a good penetration like higher tier BBs, but they can overmatch the armor at least. You can hurt higher tier BBs more consistently at least.

Now, why all this wall of text? What I want to say with all this it's that I love that by paying, you get a strong ship, true. But that for once isn't something broken (*cough* Belfast *cough*) or with a great advantadge at it's tier, like Scharnhorst, Tirpitz and such. I find Mutsu to be a strong ship, which it's appreciated having to face higher tiers often and makes the ship more balanced and the merit of being a T6 ship fun to play. Which it's a lot to say lately.

And that's why I felt the need for once to give WG a bit thank you, appreciate their work and hope they keep working just like that with new ships. That's something to really look forward to.

Really good work this time WG, well done. Keep it up like that. :honoring:

TL;DR: Mutsu it's a balanced ship in it's own way, not "P2W" and a T6 ship fun to play even with all the uptiering you get (:ohmy: I know). That's why I need to thank WG for once, that's all.

• Cool 8

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,131 posts
11,671 battles

How does it compare to the Warspite? That's one BB I'll always love playing despite what the common potato believes.

Players
1,008 posts

Never played the base Nagato before they removed hull A, as I had enough free-xp to go straight to B. But as I understand it, hull b improved the AP shells. Correct me if I am wrong on that. But even so, those 410mm guns are still pretty great. If played well, I wouldnt want to go toe to toe with it, in a T6 BB.

Players
1,806 posts
5,762 battles

How does it compare to the Warspite? That's one BB I'll always love playing despite what the common potato believes.

I haven't played Warspite much in PVP, very few battles in fact, but I'd say that Warspite keeps it's advantadge in accuracy, Mutsu has the average IJN accuracy, nothing special in that. However Mutsu has 20'4 km range so it's easier to start engaging ships. And the higher caliber of Mutsu keeps up well enough with higher tiers as said in the main post. Gunwise it's more of a preference of range vs accuracy basically.

Mutsu's hull it's a stock Nagato, with a convenient 305 mm plate of armor under the first turret (useful when angling), but it's a bit faster than Nagato, so faster than Warspite too. However it's far from the torpedobeat machine that Warspite is, Mutsu turns like a regular BB.

Also, not sure if it's my luck, but the first battles I lost the rudder of Mutsu twice, one time by cruiser HE. :hmm: Misterious. Maybe my luck as I said though. I put Preventive maintenance for the commander and it has to happen again, so it seems that that solves it, not a big deal.

Players
1,806 posts
5,762 battles

Never played the base Nagato before they removed hull A, as I had enough free-xp to go straight to B. But as I understand it, hull b improved the AP shells. Correct me if I am wrong on that. But even so, those 410mm guns are still pretty great. If played well, I wouldnt want to go toe to toe with it, in a T6 BB.

Yes, Mutsu shells deal 200 less max damage (not big deal though). You can't see that ingame but I bet that the penetration of an upgraded Nagato is better than Mutsu too. However I still citadeled a Gneisenau once at 15/16 km so it's not worthless.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
7,985 battles

Having played the Warspite since it first became available I'll list a few advantages of both:

Warspite strong points compared to Mutsu:

• Great turning circle - Avoids torpedoes well and can easily turn the hull to compensate for slow traversing guns.
  • Decent AA - Not a strong point normally, but definitely better than the Mutsu in this area.
  • Great concealment - With CE you get spotted at 11.9km, which is amazing for a BB.
  • Great overcharged consumables - Both DCP and RP on the Warspite are buffed compared to BBs in general.

Mutsu strong points compared to Warspite:

• Nice speed - Traditional good speed of IJN BBs.
  • Much better guns in almost every way - Way better range, way better traverse speed, way better muzzle velocity, better max dispersion (Warspite has +0.2 sigma though) and better damage per shell.
  • Better armor - While the armor profile gives both roughly the same citadel protection, Mutsu takes less damage while angled. Probably due to a better frontal/rear armor layout.
  • Torpedoes - They may be few, they may be slow, they may be weak and they may have bad launching angles, but they are there. At some point they will make a difference, if only as tools to force ships out of smoke.

While both have basically the same number of advantages, the Mutsu has them where it counts. The speed and the gun stats together with better resilience when angled makes the Mutsu way more versatile and useful in many more situations.

Warspite is a good BB, but I have to say it's way more gimmicky even compared to a BB with torpedoes.

Fun facts about the Mutsu 410mm shells:

They are the BB shells with the 2nd worst penetrating power at tier 6, surpassed in badness only by the Bayern. They only out-penetrate the Warspite at below 5km.

• Cool 5

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,131 posts
11,671 battles

Having played the Warspite since it first became available I'll list a few advantages of both:

Warspite strong points compared to Mutsu:

• Great turning circle - Avoids torpedoes well and can easily turn the hull to compensate for slow traversing guns.
  • Decent AA - Not a strong point normally, but definitely better than the Mutsu in this area.
  • Great concealment - With CE you get spotted at 11.9km, which is amazing for a BB.
  • Great overcharged consumables - Both DCP and RP on the Warspite are buffed compared to BBs in general.

Mutsu strong points compared to Warspite:

• Nice speed - Traditional good speed of IJN BBs.
  • Much better guns in almost every way - Way better range, way better traverse speed, way better muzzle velocity, better max dispersion (Warspite has +0.2 sigma though) and better damage per shell.
  • Better armor - While the armor profile gives both roughly the same citadel protection, Mutsu takes less damage while angled. Probably due to a better frontal/rear armor layout.
  • Torpedoes - They may be few, they may be slow, they may be weak and they may have bad launching angles, but they are there. At some point they will make a difference, if only as tools to force ships out of smoke.

While both have basically the same number of advantages, the Mutsu has them where it counts. The speed and the gun stats together with better resilience when angled makes the Mutsu way more versatile and useful in many more situations.

Warspite is a good BB, but I have to say it's way more gimmicky even compared to a BB with torpedoes.

Fun facts about the Mutsu 410mm shells:

They are the BB shells with the 2nd worst penetrating power at tier 6, surpassed in badness only by the Bayern. They only out-penetrate the Warspite at below 5km.

Cool, I'll likely try Mutsu one day but right now I'm abusing Ranked so no rush...

Warspite's accuracy is out of this world compared to any BB she might face. After you learn their flight pattern they're almost cruiser accurate. 

Nice that Mutsu armour feels stronger although without Warspite zombie heal buffs.

Beta Tester
1,649 posts
6,477 battles

The HMS Warspite turned from a very competitive ship at the time when it was sold for the first time (note, it was the first premium ship in game after the beta ships) to a near turd. It is now the weakest battleship of its tier. The power creep killed it.

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
1,043 posts

The HMS Warspite turned from a very competitive ship at the time when it was sold for the first time (note, it was the first premium ship in game after the beta ships) to a near turd. It is now the weakest battleship of its tier. The power creep killed it.

"it has the biggest guns of its tier, so she must have the worst turret traverse ever seen for balance"

I still remember them saying that during CBT. But the Mutsu, which has even bigger guns, has better turret traverse.... oh WG you so silly :facepalm:

I dread the day WG will make a sensible disicion.... the earth would probably wobble out of the solar system and end all existance

That said, thanks for the helpful post Nechrom, I was wondering the exact same thing as Negativv :coin:

I have only 1 question remaining: How is Mutsu secondary wise?

• Cool 1

Players
918 posts
8,318 battles

Gotta love this ship, has quite weak armor though. Feels like RN CL compared to Bayern.

shot-17.02.20_22.06.47-0664.jpg

Edited by Dampfboot
  • Cool 1

Players
1,806 posts
5,762 battles

I have only 1 question remaining: How is Mutsu secondary wise?

Not great, Mutsu has the same secondary arrangement that Nagato has, but the secondary gun range is only 4 km, 5 with AFT.

Edited by SHDRKN4792
  • Cool 1

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
7,985 battles

Not great, Mutsu has the same secondary arrangement that Nagato has, but the secondary gun range is only 4 km, 5 with AFT.

If you want to be completely accurate, the Mutsu has one more 140mm gun on each side.

But yeah, you don't get to use them often due to their low range. But when they do open up, you get a broadside of 4 x 127mm and 10 x 140mm.

• Cool 1

Players
2,380 posts
15,503 battles

Better armor - While the armor profile gives both roughly the same citadel protection, Mutsu takes less damage while angled. Probably due to a better frontal/rear armor layout.

Does Mutsu have a dodgy armour layout or citadel hitbox like Warspite?

You can citadel her with 6" cruisers at wonky angles. :teethhappy:

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
7,985 battles

Does Mutsu have a dodgy armour layout or citadel hitbox like Warspite?

You can citadel her with 6" cruisers at wonky angles. :teethhappy:

She does share the kind of extended citadel that is unprotected by the belt armor below turret 1 and 4, just like the Warspite. But unlike the Warspite her actual citadel armor is both angled and thicker.

You're not going to be able to citadel her with cruiser guns unless completely broadside and aiming at a very specific location. No chance if angled.

Warspite has that issue where if you can overmatch the bow armor or if she's not quite angled enough to auto-bounce, her internal front and back armor is just more or less flat 152mm and from the rear her citadel doesn't even have that. Angling in the Warspite is basically just down to providing a smaller target rather than being able to take hits. While Mutsu on the other hand has 254mm raw citadel front/back and the internal non-citadel main hull armor is a nice wedge shaped 229mm.

Another bonus with the Mutsu is that her 16mm superstructure is absolutely tiny compared to the monstrous superstructure of the Warspite. So she does well against non-IFHE DD guns.

• Cool 1

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
1,043 posts

If you want to be completely accurate, the Mutsu has one more 140mm gun on each side.

But yeah, you don't get to use them often due to their low range. But when they do open up, you get a broadside of 4 x 127mm and 10 x 140mm.

Thanks gents! :great:

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,683 posts
7,239 battles

I'm a common potato and I believe you love playing Warspite.