Adwaenyth

Ye quick beginners guide to World of Warships

142 comments in this topic

[F_D] Adwaenyth
1,194 posts
4,311 battles

works with constant shell velocity, and is generally accurate when firing within optimum range. this game seems to have inconsistent shell velocities..as in past a certain distance shells seem to travel a lot slower and the game seems to move from direct fire shots to plunging fire

When you fire at extreme distances (15-20km) your shell arc will considerably increase the distance the shell travels. While the distance on flat ground will be 20km your shell will actually travel about 25 km as it follows an arc. Thus using ALT key to determine the flight time to the point you're aiming at is essentially required.

About the torp issue... what direction is the ship traveling that your firing at? Is it traveling towards you maybe? Then the distance shortens a lot from the 5km it was away when you launched your torps.

/edit: someone mentioned speeds could actually be twice of what is displayed... haven't noticed if anyone verifyed that yet. If you want to, give me a PM and we can try it out?

Edited by Adwaenyth

412 posts
808 battles

When you fire at extreme distances (15-20km) your shell arc will considerably increase the distance the shell travels. While the distance on flat ground will be 20km your shell will actually travel about 25 km as it follows an arc. Thus using ALT key to determine the flight time to the point you're aiming at is essentially required.

About the torp issue... what direction is the ship traveling that your firing at? Is it traveling towards you maybe? Then the distance shortens a lot from the 5km it was away when you launched your torps.

/edit: someone mentioned speeds could actually be twice of what is displayed... haven't noticed if anyone verifyed that yet. If you want to, give me a PM and we can try it out?

lead changes if the speed of the projectile isn't constant over the LoS..this means that you don't get a lead angle that fits all. and mechanically its what makes gunnery a bit more difficult. this is extremely notable even at rather "short ranges" most of all with ships that have a poor maximum range (like DD guns)

about the torps, well the easiest way to see that would be to take any ship and play a game (as I feel the same "boost" has been given to ships) ...the game tracks the KM passed stat. just play as normal, and check what speed your ship had on average at the end of the game ((km*1000/min in game*60)*2=knots/s..roughly)...if speeds are doubled or more, you will generally get a speed number greater then the top speed of the ship (unless you spend exceedingly large amounts of time stationairy or at half speed...but then one would know that as well)

so far in my games, the ship calculated speed was generally higher then its listed top speed...this can mean a few different  things, either the ingame KM isn't a KM but a kilo-knot, the vehicle speed is higher then listed or the distance traveled stat is borked. for the game it makes it more playable even though you hardly notice its there...it does however become a lot more visible when you start trying to calculate how much time a vehicle has to escape your torps and all the insane numbers start rolling out

[F_D] Adwaenyth
1,194 posts
4,311 battles

so far in my games, the ship calculated speed was generally higher then its listed top speed...this can mean a few different  things, either the ingame KM isn't a KM but a kilo-knot, the vehicle speed is higher then listed or the distance traveled stat is borked. for the game it makes it more playable even though you hardly notice its there...it does however become a lot more visible when you start trying to calculate how much time a vehicle has to escape your torps and all the insane numbers start rolling out

Considering that shell flight times are about half of what they should be (20 km ~ 15 secs while in reality it was often up to 30 secs), it might be only prudent that the speed/maneuverability is actually also doubled to cope with that...

412 posts
808 battles

Considering that shell flight times are about half of what they should be (20 km ~ 15 secs while in reality it was often up to 30 secs), it might be only prudent that the speed/maneuverability is actually also doubled to cope with that...

hmm, personally I though muzzle velocities of around 2000m/s didn't seem that surreal so I didn't really look into that...on top of that the game gives you the intercept time. but yes speeding up the shell makes the game a tad easier as well. it isn't a bad thing, you just have to remind yourself that the listed speeds in knots don't correlate with the KM distances when calculating travel time (of shells that's a moot piont, but with stuff like torps)

[F_D] Adwaenyth
1,194 posts
4,311 battles

hmm, personally I though muzzle velocities of around 2000m/s didn't seem that surreal so I didn't really look into that...

Muzzle velocities of up to 2 km/s are achieved only by the most modern guns. Most guns of WWI and WWII had muzzle velocities around 800 m/s.

58 posts
3,463 battles

When will official WIKI start?

It is easier to read than search info from forum...

EDIT: Good guide. Thanks. 

Edited by Alokas_noobie

[ANVIL] Praetorias
82 posts
6,836 battles

Just another query, vg but as you add to end of thread to get people aware you have added more, can you paste all segments to the first post rather than force people to search through pages to find each installment?

Thanks

[W-A] yelo_clst
21 posts
4,912 battles

Hi, 

Really great job on th guide - it helped me understand th game faster and gave me some edge over other players, esp. when playing on tier 1 :).

As it is my first post hello to you all :) I absolutely love this game and I am happy I bought the preorders top lay in CBT. I can't wait to unlock my Clevland later today. I think WOT will not be seeing me for quite a while...

cheers

3 posts
279 battles

Hi,

it seems to have contradictory sentences about repair on a carrier under fire. This is perhaps because English is not my mother tongue. In these two sentences, as you speak about "under fire", does it mean the CV is BURNING, or simply SHOT AT ? 

Because in the fist one, you says to "launch" before REPAIR, and the contrary in the second one.

Repairs
If you're still under fire, and have planes reloading on deck, wait for them to be reloaded, give the launch order and THEN use repair. Your planes can only take off, when your ship is not on fire, and if you're in danger of getting set on fire again, you might at least want to get your planes back in the air.

and 

Damage Control Party (Default Key: R)
On CVs consider using it, exactly before launching a wing of planes when you're still under fire, as you can't start planes with a burning flight deck.

[F_D] Adwaenyth
1,194 posts
4,311 battles

If you are being shot at with HE shells, there is a good chance that you will get set on fire a lot. If you use your Damage Control Party, you've got a 15 seconds window, during which fires will automatically be put. Launching a squadron will take 10 seconds, so to get the most out of it, you give the launch order (it will be queued) then hit repair and the planes will automatically launch. You can get 2, maybe 3 squadrons up in the air when you time it right.

The second part ist to be understood so that you can give the launch order, but the planes will only take off, when the fires are out, thus you have to use repair BEFORE you can actually launch a squadron, the order to launchem can be given in advance though.

12 posts
3,555 battles

Regarding the distances and the sort of armor used... Does it make a difference which part of another ship you shoot or does the whole ship has a sort of "armor-score"? All that is clear to me is that you can hit the bridge and that does make a difference, but can you for instance, hit a turret or a plane-launcher etc.?

[F_D] Adwaenyth
1,194 posts
4,311 battles

Regarding the distances and the sort of armor used... Does it make a difference which part of another ship you shoot or does the whole ship has a sort of "armor-score"? All that is clear to me is that you can hit the bridge and that does make a difference, but can you for instance, hit a turret or a plane-launcher etc.?

It makes a lot of difference which part of the ship you hit. For example, most of the superstructure give you rather low damage rolls (with AP shells at least), but you can damage guns/turrets there. If you hit the aft of the ship, you've got a good chance of taking out her rudder. If you hit between the turrets around the waterline, you'll likely achieve a magazine hit which causes tremendous damage or hit the engine rooms and disable her propulsion.

However I've not seen it happen yet, that you can disable catapults for scout planes or damage radar or vision devices (might be a nice addon though, disabling the ships exact range display, although that would be a nightmare to realize considering mods).

58 posts
3,463 battles

How to make more accurate shots? With my Battleships all shots miss sometimes. half lands short and half lands long so my aim was correct.

Is the range only parameter that effects dispersion of shells? Some time even close range shots looks like they where shot by shotgun. :amazed:

[F_D] Adwaenyth
1,194 posts
4,311 battles

When you have a shell dispersion of 260m at maximum range ~ 20km, then that can still be 130m at 10km and will still be 65m at 5km (any closer is unusual for a BB to fire her shells).

Now 65m - even if the ships are doubled in size - can still mean you can miss by the entire width or height of the ship you shot at.

• Cool 1

58 posts
3,463 battles

So the distance is only parameter for dispersion (+rng of course). THX again.

Obviously I have just tried to shoot enemy from too far away with gun that have bad accuracy...

Is there any info how much Gun-Fire-Control-System-Modification-1 effects to the dispersion/accuracy? 

ps: "You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day" sorry. :honoring:

4 posts
3,824 battles

Thank you Sir

A very informative guide. At last I know what my 'Y' Key does on my Cleveland, and what my Scout plane can do.  Talking Scout planes, wouldn't it be good if you could direct you Scout plane to a search area to find those pesky carriers!

Salute :honoring:

Kapitain Von Britzkrieg