Adwaenyth

Ye quick beginners guide to World of Warships

142 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
63 posts
117 battles

When you're in binocular view and hold down the ALT key (sadly no toggle yet), then below your aiming recticle there will be a display of the distance where you're aiming at and the flight time the shell will need to get there. From that and the speed of the enemy vessel, you can estimate where you need to lead the target to hit it.

Especially at long ranges you can misjudge the distance you're aiming at quite a bit. Using the ALT function is rather helpful there.

/e.g. when you have a flight time of 20 seconds and the ship is going at 24 knots (about 12 m/s) and is steering away from you at 45°, it will increase the distance by about 9 m/s. Thus with the 20 seconds added, you will have to aim 200-250 meters futher away than he currently is (and 200-250 meters - or roughly his ship length - ahead of him).

I have the feeling that the day I will be able to play this game, I will have to do like in "American Sniper"... stick a paper table on the side of my screen with some pre-calculations done...

ah... long long looooong week ends watching what others are doing...

both :)  and :(

Beta Tester
6 posts
149 battles

Gotta say, thats a really well written and informative guide Adwaenyth.

Bookmarked for when I start to play matey,  Thanks very much indeed :honoring:

Beta Tester
63 posts
117 battles

Scout Plane (Default Key: T/Y)

The last skill is ship dependant. Some ships (Mainly BBs and higher tier CAs) have a scout plane on board. Launching a scout will increase your view range (as in the scout adds some addional spoting around itself).

You can't control the scout, it will simply circle around your ship. The radius is larger on BBs than on CAs.

Is it possible to shoot down an enemy scout with fighters, or is it only a visual simulation of a reckon skill ?

Beta Tester
42 posts
660 battles

Is it possible to shoot down an enemy scout with fighters, or is it only a visual simulation of a reckon skill ?

I think its possible but I am not sure I cannot play this game yet

[F_D]
Alpha Tester
1,194 posts
4,316 battles

It is absolutely possible and should be done if no enemy bombers or fighters are in the air, to keep best camouflage for the team.
  • Cool 1

Beta Tester
42 posts
660 battles

It is absolutely possible and should be done if no enemy bombers or fighters are in the air, to keep best camouflage for the team.

yes I saw it on a movie

Players
15 posts
[edited]
Edited by BigBadVuk
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to inappropriate content. An official notification has also been sent.

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,387 battles

[edited]

No.
Edited by BigBadVuk

[F_D]
Alpha Tester
1,194 posts
4,316 battles

Once I get to it... was a little busy the last week with work and other activities (yeah, while I'm online quite often, I'm not totally stuck in the internet) :)

Beta Tester
14 posts
64 battles

Oooo come on i did read your aiming part but i think thats too hard to do for long distince you need to be a math genius and to be honest i am not one.

Thy need to put in like an aim sugesstion that will not be that acurate but just to let you see how you need to aim and that would need to depend from your guner oficire if thy would put one in too.

Its too hard to aim for long distances i dont shoot everything i have on a target just on a hunch i fire one gun to see how good i aimed and then where it hits i corect it a bt and fire one again and again and again it dose the trick for me for now but in any case me guns are not that acurate i usually over shoot or under shoot thae target.

[F_D]
Alpha Tester
1,194 posts
4,316 battles

Oooo come on i did read your aiming part but i think thats too hard to do for long distince you need to be a math genius and to be honest i am not one.

Thy need to put in like an aim sugesstion that will not be that acurate but just to let you see how you need to aim and that would need to depend from your guner oficire if thy would put one in too.

Actually there is less math involved than you think.

You just require to get a feeling for it. If you're not that much into math, go for the length of the ship. In 10 seconds most ships travel about their own length as distance, DDs a litte more, BBs usually a bit less. So while your shells fly at about 1 km/s, at 10 km distance you aim ahead about the length of the enemy ship (just figure in her speed) and you're usually pretty close.

Or if you rather take the modded UI displaying degrees off the center (I don't btw.), you might consider the following:

30 knots are about 15 m/s (or 150m in 10 seconds). At 10 km distance, the circle around you has a circumfence of (roughly) 31 km. So 150m/31km * 360 ~ is roughly 2° ahead... now when you do the same calculation for half that distance - means travel time for the shells is halved, so is the distance the enemy ship travels - that also means the distance is STILL 2° ahead! (Assuming of course she doesn't turn)

When you look at that last part, if you know how to preaim at a single distance, you know how to preaim at ALL distances. :)

/edit: haven't figured out the distance in degrees the standard UI has at all zoom levels, but I think at max zoom, the scale is about 2-3° to each side.

Edited by Adwaenyth

Beta Tester
412 posts
808 battles

Its too hard to aim for long distances i dont shoot everything i have on a target just on a hunch i fire one gun to see how good i aimed and then where it hits i corect it a bt and fire one again and again and again it dose the trick for me for now but in any case me guns are not that acurate i usually over shoot or under shoot thae target.

easiest way to get a lead on the target is to zoom tall the way in on it...fire 1 gun (tap LMB) and see where the shot lands on the bar (keep aiming at the piont you want to hit). then place that piont of the bar on the target and fire all other guns. works if the enemy doesn't change course, zig-zagging and turning enemies will have to be dealt with another way

later on you aquire a feel and you will be able to guess quite well on the first volly

When you look at that last part, if you know how to preaim at a single distance, you know how to preaim at ALL distances. :)

works with constant shell velocity, and is generally accurate when firing within optimum range. this game seems to have inconsistent shell velocities..as in past a certain distance shells seem to travel a lot slower and the game seems to move from direct fire shots to plunging fire

also different guns have different muzzle velocities, this is most obvious when you look at the yamato (that has notably faster shells then the currently common battleships)

this is however true with torpedo's, as their speed is constant 

(but keep in mind that while the game states knots, the actual speed of ships and torps is higher, otherwise it would take close to 2,5 minutes for a torpedo to move 5 KM (66knts=34m/s 5000/34= about 150 seconds slightly less)..and I can tell you my torps are still reloading after hitting something at 5KM)

• Cool 1