1. Ship Classes
  2. Nations
  3. Navigation and Maneuvering
  4. Combat: Gunnery
  5. Combat: Torpedoes
  6. Combat: Carrier Air Groups
  7. Combat: Active Skills

Combat: Carrier Air Groups

So you've had your action game, now on to something completely different. With carriers, you basically trade in your action gameplay against a strategy game. Coordinating your air groups with moving you carrier around makes you use the map more and more. You will now need to use waypoints (SHIFT + CLICK on the map) and time your attacks to be effective.

Carrier Positioning

You don't want to be in the middle of the fight, however you also don't want to be too far away from it. Planes take a lot of time flying towards/from the enemy fleet, so basically, you want to hide closely behind your fleet and want to get out, if they seem to die or the enemy seems to break through.

Air group complements

A major difference from other ships is, that the air group complements that you can select in the modules screen in the dock are not necessarily getting better from top to bottom. They simply set how your air groups will be distributed. There will be fighter heavy loadouts, torp bomber heavy loadouts and bomber heavy loadouts. It isn't necessary to always mount the last, but better mount the one you're most comfortable with.

Launching aircraft

What you always should do with each carrier, is launch all air groups as soon as possible. An air group (keys 2-8) should always be up in the air while not rearming. It doesn't matter if they circle around for a while, they have unlimited fuel, just ammunition is limited - however you cannot launch any planes if your flight deck is burning. That's why you should keep them up in the air as often as possible.

Move your aircraft around

When scouting or attacking enemy ships, it is best to move your air groups together. Especially when you're executing torp bomber strikes, you want your squadrons close together, so that they will drop their ordnance close together. Also move your aircraft away from your carrier when you're not in immediate danger. The path on which they approach might lead the enemy carrier towards your position when you're not spotted.

Also watch where the enemy AA ships are and avoid those on planning your attacks. You don't have an indefinite amount of planes and once these are gone, you're just HP sitting around uselessly.

Fighters

Fighters are well fighters, they're best used against enemy bombers and scouts. A fighter vs fighter combat, you should only initiate when you're either a tier higher than the enemy carrier or your fighters got AA support from your other ships. Otherwise you're just trading fighters with the enemy carrier which will lead to nothing.

If you can't currently control your fighters manually, you can assign them to fly CAP (combat air patrol) over a friendly ship or with friendly bombers (by shift clicking onto the respective unit).

If you have lots of fighters left but only a few bombers and the enemy is bunching together for maximum AA coverage, you can also try to use your fighters to draw AA fire (sacrificing them) to allow your bombers to get through.

Dive Bombers

While most people deem them useless, they can actually be useful. The bombs they drop do HE damage, so they aren't very effective against BBs and only midly effective against CAs, but they can do some damage (and cause burning) to DDs an CVs. Also you can use them to eventually cripple a target with a cricital hit for your torp bombers to strike.

Torpedo Bombers

Torpedo bombers basically are your main anti ship weapon. Since torp bombers will fire a spread of 6 torpedos maximum (either all in a straight line or spreading out) that will deal mostly mediocre damage (at least on higher tiers) you want to maximize your hits. To do so, you want to coordinate an attack with either your dive bombers or ideally with two torp bomber squadrons. Launch them and keep them together, then set waypoints on either side of the target and add a waypoint to your target. (Planes will fly to the waypoint and if the waypoint is an enemy ship, they will engage it). Once your torp bombers are locked onto an enemy ship (or with ALT key on a free location), you can drag around the marker to select the angle and the approach towards the target ship. Do that so that the spread of torpedoes will overlap each other, so that your target ship can't escape.

Watch out for enemy AA there when planning your attack, so that the maximum number of bombers survive until they dropped their torpedoes. Then fly them out on a course that leads away from your ship and from the enemy AA.

Repairs

While essentially you should try to minimize the damage you take, don't use your damage control teams just because your carrier is burning. If you're still under fire, and have planes reloading on deck, wait for them to be reloaded, give the launch order and THEN use repair. Your planes can only take off, when your ship is not on fire, and if you're in danger of getting set on fire again, you might at least want to get your planes back in the air.

to be continued with skills and modifications as soon as I can get to it.

Edited by Adwaenyth
  • Cool 20

Beta Tester
3 posts
65 battles

Great work and thanks for this detailed and useful write up, which is of great help to me. I appreciate the effort and time you put in.

Rgds,

Jack

• Cool 1

[SPOOD]
Beta Tester
82 posts
3,965 battles

Combat: Torpedoes

Aiming and firing a torpedo

So, now that you are close enough to see the white in the enemy captain's eyes, how do you shoot these darn cigars? Well, the basic aiming works just like guns - you even get a white outline in torpedo view, showing you where to shoot the torpedoes - 

I did not even notice this when playing! :hiding:

Thanks mate for pointing this out to me.

:honoring:

Beta Tester
31 posts
263 battles

Really useful guides mate, superb! They are informative and helpful while being short and concise. Thankyou very much. As said earlier, please edit them in to a single comprehensive post when you're done for easy reading. I'm really impressed, it's rare to find such well written and compact guides. Can't use enough superlatives for these, really. :)

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
191 posts

How do you recognise/identify the class/name of ship as there does not appear to be any over target markers other than the basic Dr/ca? Only played a few and there were a few t4 ships so had no idea if I was battling them or not!

Beta Tester
31 posts
263 battles

If you son't remember the class of the ship you can check it by the symbol on minimap or hit TAB and check there.

In the player roster (TAB key) BB are big and brown, CV grey and big, CA grey and medium and DD grey and small, also you can tell by the shape.

In minimap, DD solid triangle, CA triangle with one stripe, BB triangle with 2 stripes and CV have this 2x rectqngle + small triangle mark.

Hope this helped. :)

EDIT: Oh, and press alt to see the name of ship and other details depenging on your view.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
191 posts

If you son't remember the class of the ship you can check it by the symbol on minimap or hit TAB and check there.

In the player roster (TAB key) BB are big and brown, CV grey and big, CA grey and medium and DD grey and small, also you can tell by the shape.

In minimap, DD solid triangle, CA triangle with one stripe, BB triangle with 2 stripes and CV have this 2x rectqngle + small triangle mark.

Hope this helped. :)

EDIT: Oh, and press alt to see the name of ship and other details depenging on your view.

ALT was what gave me what I wanted,. Though being lefthanded makes it a bit tricky as I steer ship with arrow keys so hand has got to go across keyboard.

[F_D]
Alpha Tester
1,194 posts
4,316 battles

ALT was what gave me what I wanted,. Though being lefthanded makes it a bit tricky as I steer ship with arrow keys so hand has got to go across keyboard.

You can remap the key via the settings. CTRL might be a way to go for you, however I still play WASD even though I'm also a lefty. ALT key is then usually where my thumb rests. :)

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,387 battles

And.... Pinned. Really helpful guide Adwaenyth. 

FR0E3aF.gif

I agree, just whish all the guides where in one post and not scattered over different one's. Also, is there a wiki planned ( or does it already exist ) as this kind of info is material for a wiki as well.

[BLIN]
Alpha Tester
97 posts
1,518 battles

Really good job man, there's some useful stuff even for an alpha veteran like me!

[F_D]
Alpha Tester
1,194 posts
4,316 battles

I agree, just whish all the guides where in one post and not scattered over different one's. Also, is there a wiki planned ( or does it already exist ) as this kind of info is material for a wiki as well.

I can try to link all things in one post, but the idea was, that each post is a very short introduction to each topic.

As with many things, if you go in depth you could write whole books about how and when to do what and for what reason. But that would be too much for a newbie guide. Idea is to get a quick idea about why you should to certain things and keep that in mind, one topic at a time.

Beta Tester
191 posts

You can remap the key via the settings. CTRL might be a way to go for you, however I still play WASD even though I'm also a lefty. ALT key is then usually where my thumb rests. :)

I must be completely blind as I cannot see it in Settings.

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,387 battles

I can try to link all things in one post, but the idea was, that each post is a very short introduction to each topic.

As with many things, if you go in depth you could write whole books about how and when to do what and for what reason. But that would be too much for a newbie guide. Idea is to get a quick idea about why you should to certain things and keep that in mind, one topic at a time.

If you include an index in opening post that would help a lot already, makes it easier to find and point to for others as well :honoring:

[F_D]
Alpha Tester
1,194 posts
4,316 battles

If you include an index in opening post that would help a lot already, makes it easier to find and point to for others as well :honoring:

Have added an index to all tutorial postings.
  • Cool 2

Beta Tester
19 posts
4 battles

Very nice guide for a WoWs newbie like me. :honoring:

Just a small nitpick, though.

View PostAdwaenyth, on 13 March 2015 - 09:19 AM, said:

The second class you can unlock are the destroyers. Their main purpose can easily be determined, when you know that they were also called torpedo boats by some nations.

They were not torpedo boats, they were a different class named torpedo boat destroyers, i.e. their initial purpose was to defend against torpedo boats.

• Cool 1

[F_D]
Alpha Tester
1,194 posts
4,316 battles

They were not torpedo boats, they were a different class named torpedo boat destroyers, i.e. their initial purpose was to defend against torpedo boats.

Not entirely. During WW1 german destroyers were called Große Torpedoboote (large torpedo boats), although they were actually destroyers.

Edited by Adwaenyth

Beta Tester
19 posts
4 battles

Not entirely. During WW1 german destroyers were called Große Torpedoboote (large torpedo boats), although they were actually destroyers.

Fair enough, I guess; it's just that the current phrasing might suggest to people unfamiliar with the nomenclature that destroyers are actually the same class as torpedo boats.

• Cool 1

[F_D]
Alpha Tester
1,194 posts
4,316 battles
  1. Ship Classes
  2. Nations
  3. Navigation and Maneuvering
  4. Combat: Gunnery
  5. Combat: Torpedoes
  6. Combat: Carrier Air Groups
  7. Combat: Active Skills

Combat: Active Skills

Each ship has one or more active skills. Some are determined by the ships class and tier, others are independent and available on all ships. In this part, I'll give you a brief overview and some guidelines about when to use these skills.

Damage Control Party (Default Key: R)

The first (and universal) skill is damage control party. This skill basically repairs all (non critically) damaged modules on a ship, stops all fires and all floodings while active. It is active for a few seconds before it goes on cool down. The cooldown is relatively long (can be reduced by captain skill) and thus you should use it with care - but also not sparesly.

On DDs and CAs you can use it to stop fires, because you usually don't have that much HP to spare - but you should get out of the line of fire first if possible. Especially DDs can use their second skill (Smoke Screen) for that. On BBs you should try to compensate for fires with your Repair Work skill, before using Damage Control Party. On CVs consider using it, exactly before launching a wing of planes when you're still under fire, as you can't start planes with a burning flight deck.

The best use (independently of class) though is repairing rudders and propulsion systems, since those are essential for you getting out of harms way. Repairing guns/torp launchers usually isn't worth it, because those get repaired rather quickly.

Smoke Screen (Default Key: T)

Smoke Screen is a destroyer specific skill. It clouds a large area around your ship as long as it is active. Any ship within or behind the smoke screen recieves a visibility bonus, making DDs almost invisible while inside. It has a limited amount of charges, so use it wisely.

Usage can be both offensive (to approach for a torpedo attack) or defensive (to evade incoming fire) - what you should keep in mind is, that the smoke screen itself is widely visible, alerting enemies to your general position. So when you use it offensively, bear in mind, that an experienced enemy will turn away from the smoke and stay at a safe distance, so it might be best to wait with using it, until you're rather close.

Repair Work (Default Key: T)

Repair Work is the BB skill. It restores part of your hit points over time. I'm not entirely sure about the mechanic yet, but mostly the skill seems to repair ONLY the last hit recieved. Fire and Flooding in that department count as a single hit, thus are at least partly repaired along the initial damage. Like with Smoke Screen you have a limited amount of charges and a large cool down, so use them wisely. It's best used after recieving a penetrating AP hit or to repair fire/flooding damage.

Defensive Fire (Default Key: Y)

Defensive Fire finally is the CA skill. It is only available on CAs of Tier 6 and higher and increases their AA abilities. Any CA using this skill will cause incoming torpedo bombers to panic (releasing their torps ALWAYS in a fan instead of a straight line). So it is best saved for incoming bombers. Unlike Smoke Screen or Repair Work, it doesn't have limited charges, so you can activate it anytime you see bombers coming in.

Scout Plane (Default Key: T/Y)

The last skill is ship dependant. Some ships (Mainly BBs and higher tier CAs) have a scout plane on board. Launching a scout will increase your view range (as in the scout adds some addional spoting around itself).

You can't control the scout, it will simply circle around your ship. The radius is larger on BBs than on CAs.

With the large cool down and limited number of planes, using the skill is situation dependent. It's no use to launch scout planes at start (especially not, when you've got carriers around), since they won't spot anything on the larger maps.

If you see a scout plane of a ship alongside going up, save your scout to counteract smoke screens or ships trying to hide behind islands.

Edited by Adwaenyth
  • Cool 17