Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Kevbar

Naval Anecdotes / Jokes

19 comments in this topic

[HAERT]
Beta Tester
672 posts
4,821 battles

Thought I'd create a new thread purely for naval humour, whether historically true, naval mythology or just funny bants. Please nothing too offensive or else BBV..... ('nuff said!).

So to start off, one of my faves:-

A Chief Petty Officer was bragging to a Midshipman one day "You know, I know everyone there is to know. Just name someone, anyone and I know them."

Tired of his boasting,  the Midshipman called his bluff, "Okay, Chief, how about Tom Cruise?"

"Sure, yes, Tom and I are old friends and I can prove it."

So they fly out to Hollywood and knock on Tom Cruise's door and sure enough, Tom  Cruise, shouts, "Chief ! Great to see You! You and your friend come right in and join me for lunch! "

Although impressed, the Midshipman is still skeptical. After they leave Cruise's house, he tells the Chief that he thinks his knowing Cruise was just lucky. "No, no, just name anyone else" the Chief says. "The Queen of England", the Midshipman quickly retorts.  

"Yep I know her, let's fly out to London."

So, off they go. At Buckingham Palace, the Queen spots them from the balcony and motions them  over, saying, "Chief, what a surprise. I was just on my way to an engagement, but you and that Midshipman come on in and let's catch up." 

Well, the Midshipman is very shaken by now, but still not totally convinced.  

After they leave the Palace grounds, he expresses his doubts to the Chief, who again implores him to name anyone else.  

"The new Pope", the Midshipman replies. "Sure, I've known the Pope a long time." So, off they fly to Rome. They're assembled with the masses in Vatican Square when the Chief says, "this will never work. I can't catch the Pope's eye among all these people. Tell you what, I know all the guards, so let me just go upstairs and I'll come out on the balcony with the Pope". He disappears into the crowd headed toward St. Peter's. Sure enough, half an hour later, the Chief emerges with the Pope on the balcony.  

But by the time he returns, he finds that the Midshipman has had a heart attack and is surrounded by paramedics.  

Working his way to his side, the Chief asks the Midshipman , "What happened to you?" 

The Midshipman looks up  and says, "I was doing fine until you and The Pope came out on the balcony and the tourist next to me asked, 'Who's that on the balcony next to the Chief?' "

• Cool 9

[HAERT]
Beta Tester
672 posts
4,821 battles

Another one but this time a true dit:

Onboard one of HM Submarines, a Chief Petty Officer was a few hours late getting onboard one morning, and as he crossed the brow (gangway) onto the boat (all submarines are known as boats) his late arrival was noticed by the Coxwain (Cox'n) who is in charge of discipline.

"Your a bit late there Chief, best pop down to my office".

"Sorry Cox'n, but my dad got burnt this morning" says the Chief.

"Oh! I'm sorry to hear that " says the Cox'n, " I hope he makes a full recovery".

"I doubt it" replies the Chief, "they don't tend to mess around at the crematorium".

• Cool 3

[NED]
Players
4,198 posts
11,706 battles

My dad used to tell me stories about his time in the navy. His drill sergeant used to yell: "In the past the ships were made of wood and the men of steel. Now it's the other way around. What do you have to say about that?!"

"Good thing when the modern ship sinks: wood will float more easy!"

• Cool 5

[HAERT]
Beta Tester
672 posts
4,821 battles

I've copied this from another dormant thread, but it is genuine and happened to me during my illustrious career on submarines:-

This actually happened while I was on board in approx '03. Allegedly it made the papers although I have never found it, but if I do....

We were surfaced and navigating through the Straits of Gibraltar but there was a lot of fog patches around, therefore, the boat was at Fog Routine (extra manning in certain areas) which necessitated either the Captain or the Exec Officer (aka The Jimmy) to be 'up top' with the OOW (Officer of the Watch) and the lookouts. At the time in question it was the Captain up top. There was quite a lot of shipping around and foghorns were being sounded accordingly.

The young lookout said to the Captain "that's a loud one Sir, must be pretty big"

Captain replies "you tend to find that the louder they are, the smaller they are!"

Very shortly after while I was in the engine room came the full main broadcast "Standby Collision, Emergencency Stations, Emergency Stations..." etc etc.

Bulkheads were shutdown, ventilation was crash stopped and all other necessary actions were flawlessly carried out. What happened was that a relatively large freighter had cut across our course and passed astern of us by approx 50 metres. Now, considering that the submarine is approximately 100m long, you can see how close this was.

Back on the bridge when everthing had calmed down, the Captain asked "Did anyone get the name of that ship?"

.. to which the lookout replied "Got its name? I got its f*%king draught marks!!"

:teethhappy:

• Cool 3

[HAERT]
Beta Tester
672 posts
4,821 battles

After returning home from a particularly long patrol, a shipmate of mine was on leave and was asked by someone..

"what its like? you know, submarines, 'cos I was thinking of joining up and going on them" :popcorn:

..to which my mate replied thusly:-

• "Take a 100m long steel tube
  • throw in high voltage, high current AC and DC electrics
  • add lots of high pressure hydraulics and high pressure air
  • fill the back end with very hot and high pressure steam machinery
  • fill the front with lots and lots of powerful bomb and propellants
  • fill the middle with a high pressure and very hot nuclear reactor
  • switch on the reactor
  • throw in about 130 to 150 men
  • then take it out to sea and sink it
  • still want to join?:sceptic:

I'm not sure what the reply was :hiding:

• Cool 4

[HAERT]
Beta Tester
672 posts
4,821 battles

Dispelling a Myth.

During training as a submariner and subsequent submarine escape refresher courses, we were always taught that in an escape situation there would be someone nominated as the "Senior Survivor" who would take charge and be the last man out. :hmm:

Now, this may be the senior officer or rating on the spot, however, if said person was injured or had gone "wibble" then obviously not. :playing:

So.... in training we would always be asked the standard question of "Who is the Senior Survivor?" to which the correct answer would be along the lines of "... whoever has got their crap in one sock (got it most together)". :B

Whereas in fact we all knew who the Senior Survivor was.. :popcorn:

... in reality it would always be the fattest guy because if he got stuck going through the very small escape hatch, no other bugger was getting out either!!! :nerv_fish:

:trollface:

Edited by Kevbar
  • Cool 3

Players
33 posts
3,733 battles

You guys have probably already heard this one, but I heard it years ago...please forgive me if my retelling is not perfect

(EDIT: After looking through the forum a little bit more I saw a different version of this joke...the US Carrier vs Spain...sorry)

During WW2 a young captain was given command of a destroyer, and this had given him a certain amount of pride in his abilities to have been promoted so young. During one voyage it happened to be particularly foggy, and a large unidentified object popped up on radar. It was quickly worked out that they were on a collision course, so the captain was alerted, and he ordered that a warning be sent out to the unidentified radar blip. "This is the Royal Navy destroyer HMS Mohawk (for talks sake), you are on a collision course with our vessel, change course at once." After a minute or so no reply had been received, and it still appeared that a collision would occur. The captain ordered that another message be sent out, "I repeat, this is the Royal Navy destroyer HMS Mohawk, you are on a collision course with us, change course immediately" This time, after a couple of seconds a reply was received, "I cannot change course, so you will have to" The captain was furious, so he had another message sent out, "This is the Royal Naval vessel, and His Majesty's Ship, Mohawk. Change course immediately or you will face consequences." The helmsman was sweating bullets as the captain was warned they were only 100 yards from the blip. Then the reply came through, "Well His Majesty's Ship Mohawk, I cannot change course, for I am a lighthouse"

Ba dum tis. This just popped into my head when I read the thread, so I figured I'd share it :)

Edited by Ar_Es_Two_Thousand
  • Cool 2

Players
1,433 posts
14,858 battles

So there's this Japanese Battleship and it runs into three enemy Battleships. The Captain turns around and tells his steward to go fetch his red shirt, and so the Captain fights the battle wearing this red shirt. The next day they run into ten enemy Battleships and the Captain once again tells the steward to go fetch his red shirt and once again fights the battle wearing it. The steward asks the Captain: "Captain-san, why do you always go into battle wearing your red shirt?"

The Captain replies: "If I am wounded in battle my blood will not be seen on my red shirt and my crew will not lose heart at the sight of their wounded Captain."

The next day they run into a hundred enemy Battleships, the Captain tells the steward: "Go and get my red shirt, and this time bring my brown trousers as well."

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
795 posts
4,327 battles

Links to some websites to amuse yourself in o'naval slang:

[/link]http://goatlocker.org/resources/nav/trivia.htm[/link]

[/link]http://www.hmsrichmond.org/dict_h.htm[/link]

Dead Horse When a Sailor pays off a debt to the command (advance pay, overpayments, etc...) they say they've paid off a Dead Horse. The saying comes from a tradition of British sailors. British seamen, apt to be ashore and unemployed for considerable periods of time between voyages, generally preferred to live in boarding houses near the piers while waiting for sailing ships to take on crews. During these periods of unrestricted liberty, many ran out of money, so innkeepers carried them on credit until hired out for another voyage. When a seaman was booked on a ship, he was customarily advanced a month's wages, if needed, to pay off his boarding house debt. Then, while paying back the ship's master, he worked for nothing but salt horse the first several weeks aboard. Salt horse was the staple diet of early sailors and it wasn't exactly tasty cuisine. Consisting of a low quality beef that had been heavily salted, the salt horse was tough to chew and even harder to digest. When the debt had been repaid, the salt horse was said to be dead and it was a time for great celebration among the crew. Usually, an effigy of a horse was constructed from odds and ends, set afire and then cast afloat to the cheers and hilarity of the ex-debtors.

• Cool 3

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Quality Poster
1,666 posts
8,514 battles

You guys have probably already heard this one, but I heard it years ago...please forgive me if my retelling is not perfect

(EDIT: After looking through the forum a little bit more I saw a different version of this joke...the US Carrier vs Spain...sorry)

During WW2 a young captain was given command of a destroyer, and this had given him a certain amount of pride in his abilities to have been promoted so young. During one voyage it happened to be particularly foggy, and a large unidentified object popped up on radar. It was quickly worked out that they were on a collision course, so the captain was alerted, and he ordered that a warning be sent out to the unidentified radar blip. "This is the Royal Navy destroyer HMS Mohawk (for talks sake), you are on a collision course with our vessel, change course at once." After a minute or so no reply had been received, and it still appeared that a collision would occur. The captain ordered that another message be sent out, "I repeat, this is the Royal Navy destroyer HMS Mohawk, you are on a collision course with us, change course immediately" This time, after a couple of seconds a reply was received, "I cannot change course, so you will have to" The captain was furious, so he had another message sent out, "This is the Royal Naval vessel, and His Majesty's Ship, Mohawk. Change course immediately or you will face consequences." The helmsman was sweating bullets as the captain was warned they were only 100 yards from the blip. Then the reply came through, "Well His Majesty's Ship Mohawk, I cannot change course, for I am a lighthouse"

Ba dum tis. This just popped into my head when I read the thread, so I figured I'd share it :)

Actually was looking for this one.

This an old joke, remember reading it in an old issue of the US Naval Institute Proceedings, from the 1940s or 1950s or something.

It has been repeated many times, so much so, the U.S. navy actually has a page to say it never happened.

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/nav_legacy.asp?id=174

http://www.snopes.com/military/lighthouse.asp

Two more, from the same magazine, as best as I can recall them.

First one, with apologies to the Polish, but that is how I recall it..

Sometime after the introduction of newer and faster ships into the navy, a Polish officer was on board one of those new vessels.

The ship was sailing along at full speed, when, for some reason, they ordered it to stop.

Of course, it didn't, not immediately, and the Polish officer quickly became impatient.

He asked what was wrong, why weren't they stopping?

He got the reply that it was because of the inertia.

The Polish officer now became really mad and yelled: "Well, stop the [explitive deleted] inertia!"

Second one:

During the Korean war, which was one of the first, if not the first, UN missions, a Dutch vessel was on station to provide fire support for troops ashore.

Requests for fire support would come in from airborne observers, they would fire, the observer would call the fall of the shot and ask for necessary adjustments.

One day, a request came in, so they carried out the order, it had all gotten routine to them.

Almost immediately, another request came, almost the same coordinates, but with small adjustments.

So they adjusted, fired again.

Yet again, almost immediately after the shells must have hit their target, another request game, again, only small adjustments.

They carried out that mission too.

But the requests kept coming, and the voice of the airborne observer, usually calm, cool, and collected, grew ever more frantic.

The Dutch ship kept pouring fire on the coordinates provided, but they got curious, so they put a call out to the observer, what was going on.

The reply was: "You are chasing a tank down a mountain!"

Let me know if you want more of these, I still have a box of these old magazines somewhere around, could look them up. :hiding:

• Cool 3

Players
49 posts
2,597 battles

What I learned in the Navy

The correct answer to all questions is "I have no excuse P.O."

Beards make you look cool.

Excessive drinking is penalized.

Infrequent drinking is penalized.

Rules are what you obey when people are looking.

Other people's incompetence is an acceptable topic for everyday conversation.

Really shiny shoes are required for my survival in a combat situation.

Really well ironed pants are required for my survival in a combat situation.

Having the back of my neck well shaved is required for my survival in a combat situation.

Leading Seamen don't outrank crap.

Grown adults are not mature enough and for their own protection need to be told to not run with scissors.

Grown adults cannot be trusted to not burn off their testicles with hot equipment and need to be constantly supervised.

Not getting off early enough for an afternoon nap is an acceptable complaint.

All naval traditions are vaguely gay.

The following sentence makes perfect sense to a navy man; "The Master Seaman went to the poop deck to watch the Rear Admiral swallow the anchor and drink moose milk."

Retiring is called "swallowing the anchor."

Floors are called decks.

Walls are called bulkheads.

Toilets are called heads.

Dessert is called duff.

Hallways are called flats.

A boat can fit on a ship. A ship can not fit on a boat.

Don't touch the floor in the showers.

Don't touch the walls in the showers.

Don't touch the hand railings, anywhere.

On Friday I will be having fish for lunch , seven years from now.

Vegetables are not a food group.

Moose milk is a food group.

All sailors swear like sailors.

The skanky nature of the women you have slept with is an acceptable topic for everyday conversation.

The skanky nature of the woman you are sleeping with is an acceptable topic for everyday conversation.

The skanky nature of the woman you are trying to sleep with is an acceptable topic for everyday conversation.

The law of diminishing returns does not apply to revenue driven military operations such as the galley on base.

Decreasing quality and increasing prices thereby decreasing the customer base is an effective way for the galley to make more money.

The word navy is an acronym that stands for Never Again Volunteer Yourself.

You will be told when to volunteer for things.

Spending 15k$ on monitoring software to ensure people don't use government computers to play solitaire during their lunch breaks is an acceptable use of public funds.

Spending 1k$ to purchase technical manuals made within the past 20 years is not an acceptable use of public funds.

Spending millions to retrofit a ship and then immediately decommission it and spend millions more to return it to its original state so it can be given to a museum for free is an acceptable use of public funds.

Spending one dollar for a replacement pencil is not an acceptable use of public funds.

People who tell you to get your hair cut are always bald.

Victoria smells good and has only a couple of bars.

Halifax smells bad and has a couple hundred bars.

Drinking is optional. In Victoria.

Showers are optional. In Halifax.

Do not eat the communal cheese.

All doors are button operated for the benefit of people in wheel chairs. Even the doors that lead to stairwells.

Cologne should be applied by dipping your head into a bucket of the cheapest crapyou can find.

The sense of smell is a privilege, not a right. It will be revoked if abused.

Everybody requires a nick name. Preference will be given to names that imply homosexuality. E.g. "spanky"

Where we will drink next Friday is an acceptable topic for everyday conversation.

Where we will drink next Saturday is an acceptable topic for everyday conversation.

Where we will drink next Sunday is an acceptable topic for everyday conversation.

Where we will drink on lunch break during the week is an acceptable topic for everyday conversation.

It takes several days to paint a 6' square wall..

Attendance is required.

Work is not.

Excelling at a menial task results in doing that same menial task everyday for 20 years.

The first 15 minutes of every conversation should consist of senseless yelling.

8 sailors in 1 room does not guarantee a well tied knot.

Mine-sweepers are ships that are made out of metal and look for mines.

Mines are magnetic.

Stopping work at 10AM to eat soup is a god-given right worth killing for.

Conversations regarding the number of beers in a flat or case can result in fist-fights.

It is necessary to posses the appropriate qualifications to be allowed to do a particular job.

It is not necessary to possess skill or competency to be allowed to do a particular job.

One out of every 17 pay stubs will be accidentally sent to Quebec, with Quebec taxes and deductions taken off. Even if you've never been to Quebec.

A failure to make a good decision with no information will be punished. Clairvoyance is required.

The entire navy is telepathic by nature and communication is not necessary.

There are no mistakes caused by poor communication, only mistakes caused by insufficient funding.

Insult on the west-coast; sucky baby. On the east-coast; sooky baby. The border for this difference appears to be Québec.

Canada's submarines have spent more time above the ground than Canada's helicopters.

Everybody has either slept with a French reservist or is a French reservist.

Canadian warships have an expensive, highly complex, and advanced decoy system to protect themselves against a specific type of acoustic torpedo. The Only country that uses acoustic torpedoes is Chile.>

Every member of the Canadian forces (regardless of age, size, fitness level, activity level, culture, religion, work schedule, gender or metabolism) required the exact same amount of food three times a day, every day seven days a week.

I am the only person responsible for ensuring that my pay is accurate.

I do not have the authority to make or recommend changes to my pay.

I do not have the training to notice mistakes with my pay.

Franks red hot sauce should be used to improve the taste of the food onboard ship.

Franks red hot sauce should be used to improve the taste of the coffee onboard ship.

Confusing Frank's, Dave's, or Tabasco sauce with one another is an acceptable reason to get into a fist fight.

No matter how long you are gone and what you have run out of, two days before getting home, a bowl of fresh apples will mysteriously appear in the cave.

It is necessary to properly secure your hat when a Sea King is landing because a hat that has blown off can take a Sea King down

It is necessary to properly dispose of your cigarette butts when a Sea King is landing because they can take a Sea King down.

It is rude to make jokes about Sea Kings.

Sea King pilots have the best Sea King jokes.

• Cool 6

[HAERT]
Beta Tester
672 posts
4,821 battles

During the Korean war, which was one of the first....

Oh Shipmate! nearly spilled my beer reading that one!!

:teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[HAERT]
Beta Tester
672 posts
4,821 battles

On board any nuc sub, the engine room tends to be very warm even in arctic waters but especially in tropical waters. Most of the 'Back-Afties' (Propulsion chaps!) tend not to bother with the boat's laundry (1 washing machine and 2 tumble dryers) but instead do theirs in buckets on the Aft Escape Platform and then drape them across various steam pipes and lagged steam machinery. By the end of their respective watch, their laundry is dry and ready for them to take.

One particular watch, I was just handing over to my relief watchkeeper who I shall call Smudge (who was not known to hold back when dealing with idiots) when a young, trainee officer came into the engine room, arms full of wet laundry and interrupted our detailed handover. It went something like this:-

Me "... blah, blah, tech talk, blah, blah....."

Smudge "Any defects etc blah, blah"

When suddenly and very self assuredly we hear Sub Lt 'Oik'  address us

"I've been informed that there is a drying room back here. Can you tell me where it is?".

To which Smudge replies..

"Yes, You're standing in it, you c**t!!!!"

:facepalm:

True dit!

• Cool 1

[HAERT]
Beta Tester
672 posts
4,821 battles

Four retired submarine Chief Petty Officers are walking down the street window shopping. Then they turn a corner and see a sign that says Veterans Bar over the doorway of an entry into an establishment that doesn't look all that well kept up. They look at each other then go in. On the inside, they realize in this case, they could judge the book by its cover.

The old barman says in a voice that carries across the room, "Come on in and let me pour one for you! What will it be, gentlemen?".

There seems to be a fully stocked bar so the men all ask for a Pussers Rum. In no time at all the barman serves up 4 Pussers Rums and says, "That will be 40 pence please."

The four Chiefs stare at the barman for a moment then look at each other - they can't believe their good luck. They pay the 40 pence, finish their rums and order another round. Again, four excellent Pussers Rums are produced with the barman again saying, "That's 40 more pence, please." They pay the 40 pence but their curiosity is more than they can stand. They've each had two Pussers Rums and so far they've spent less than a pound in total. Finally one of the men says, "How can you afford to serve Pussers Rum and all those other drinks at these ridiculously low prices?"

The barman replies, "No doubt you've noticed the state of the place in here and the outside isn't anything to write home about. I don't waste money on that stuff but here's my story. I'm a retired Chief Petty Officer, submarines just like yourselves and I always wanted to own a bar. Last year I won the lottery for £50 million and decided to open this place for real veterans. Every drink costs 10 pence -- wine, spirits, beer, all the same. Just 10 pence"

"Wow. That's quite a story." says one of the Chiefs. The four of them sipped at their rums and couldn't help but notice three other guys at the end of the bar who didn't have a drink in front of them and hadn't ordered anything the whole time they were there.

One man finished his rum and, gestured at the three at the end of the bar without drinks and asks the barman, "What's with those guys over there?"

The barman says, "Oh, those are retired Skimmers (General Service / Surface Fleet). They're waiting for happy hour!!"

:D

• Cool 1

Players
3,041 posts
3,645 battles

Four retired submarine Chief Petty Officers are walking down the street window shopping. Then they turn a corner and see a sign that says Veterans Bar over the doorway of an entry into an establishment that doesn't look all that well kept up. They look at each other then go in. On the inside, they realize in this case, they could judge the book by its cover.

The old barman says in a voice that carries across the room, "Come on in and let me pour one for you! What will it be, gentlemen?".

There seems to be a fully stocked bar so the men all ask for a Pussers Rum. In no time at all the barman serves up 4 Pussers Rums and says, "That will be 40 pence please."

The four Chiefs stare at the barman for a moment then look at each other - they can't believe their good luck. They pay the 40 pence, finish their rums and order another round. Again, four excellent Pussers Rums are produced with the barman again saying, "That's 40 more pence, please." They pay the 40 pence but their curiosity is more than they can stand. They've each had two Pussers Rums and so far they've spent less than a pound in total. Finally one of the men says, "How can you afford to serve Pussers Rum and all those other drinks at these ridiculously low prices?"

The barman replies, "No doubt you've noticed the state of the place in here and the outside isn't anything to write home about. I don't waste money on that stuff but here's my story. I'm a retired Chief Petty Officer, submarines just like yourselves and I always wanted to own a bar. Last year I won the lottery for £50 million and decided to open this place for real veterans. Every drink costs 10 pence -- wine, spirits, beer, all the same. Just 10 pence"

"Wow. That's quite a story." says one of the Chiefs. The four of them sipped at their rums and couldn't help but notice three other guys at the end of the bar who didn't have a drink in front of them and hadn't ordered anything the whole time they were there.

One man finished his rum and, gestured at the three at the end of the bar without drinks and asks the barman, "What's with those guys over there?"

The barman says, "Oh, those are retired Skimmers (General Service / Surface Fleet). They're waiting for happy hour!!"

:D

I think I missed the punchline here...

[HAERT]
Beta Tester
672 posts
4,821 battles

I think I missed the punchline here...

Maybe a little explanation is required.

Defintion:      Skimmer - A surface ship, or officers/crew of same. Frequently modified with the adjective "f**king" by members of the submarine community.

When a skimmer (surface ship) calls into port, the crew continue to eat, sleep on board and receive no monetary bonus for the duration of their visit.

When a (RN) submarine calls in to port, the conditions on board do not allow for the crew to remain on board other than the duty watch (24h period), hence, they are accomodated in local hotels and paid for by the RN /Taxpayer. Also, because they are not accomodated on board, they receive an allowance for food, pro rata for the duration and relative cost of living at the port of call. This is officially known as 'Subsistance' but is often described thus:- subbies, clebbies, beer tokens etc

Furthermore, submariners also receive Submarine Pay, some also receive Nuclear Pay if their job involves, well, nuclear sh*t!! (I was lucky/unlucky to earn this, hence, I don't need a torch to read under the bedclothes!!).

As you can see, submariners receive considerably more pay and bonuses than their General Service (Surface) counterparts, and rightly so. :coin:

• Cool 1

Players
3,041 posts
3,645 battles

Maybe a little explanation is required.

Defintion:      Skimmer - A surface ship, or officers/crew of same. Frequently modified with the adjective "f**king" by members of the submarine community.

When a skimmer (surface ship) calls into port, the crew continue to eat, sleep on board and receive no monetary bonus for the duration of their visit.

When a (RN) submarine calls in to port, the conditions on board do not allow for the crew to remain on board other than the duty watch (24h period), hence, they are accomodated in local hotels and paid for by the RN /Taxpayer. Also, because they are not accomodated on board, they receive an allowance for food, pro rata for the duration and relative cost of living at the port of call. This is officially known as 'Subsistance' but is often described thus:- subbies, clebbies, beer tokens etc

Furthermore, submariners also receive Submarine Pay, some also receive Nuclear Pay if their job involves, well, nuclear sh*t!! (I was lucky/unlucky to earn this, hence, I don't need a torch to read under the bedclothes!!).

As you can see, submariners receive considerably more pay and bonuses than their General Service (Surface) counterparts, and rightly so. :coin:

well what's "Happy hour"

I thought that was the punchline

[HAERT]
Beta Tester
672 posts
4,821 battles

This leads nicely on to my next topic:-

Skimmer Baiting

Rivalry is everywhere, whether it be continental rivalry in a South America v Germany FIFA World Cup Final (why Germany I here you ask: I'm British and proud to be so, but lets face it, we can't play football if our lives depended on it, so Germany it is) or village cricket or losing at arm wrestling to my wife. Rivalry IS everywhere.

Of course it follows that there is inter-service rivalry, Army v Navy v Crabfats sorry, Air Force. Within each of those sevices there are more levels of rivalry and therefore back on topic of Skimmer Baiting.

As demonstrated in my previous post, Submariners receive lots and lots and lots more money :coin: than skimmers :(.

So, to wind up a skimmer when in a bar / pub many a submariner would throw some coins at the feet of a poor skimmer. Some would pick them up, some would take affront and resort to 'words' or more physical forms of remonstration!! Hence; Skimmer Baiting. Thus maintaining the appropriate level of rivalry between those that serve beneath the waves and those that bob about a bit on top! :trollface:

Of course, none of this ever officially happened, but then we all know the difference between an official account and reality. :B

[GRKEN]
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles

And wasn't there this thing:

There are only two types of vessels at sea: Submarines and targets

• Cool 4

Sign in to follow this